One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

*starting the posting with the chapter I missed*

Chapter 2

1. My favorites

line: I'm sure that's a universal effect (p. 20)

paragraph: Steven shrugged. "I don't want to say it's overrated, 'cause clearly I'm the worng demographic and I had a very limited sampling, but I can do without." (p. 23)

scene: Gideon's arm brushed against Eva's as he adjusted his perfectly knotted tie.

2. From his many encounters and interactions with Eva in this chapter, I realized how tactile Gideon was as a person. He would deliberately do any physical contact, no matter how light and slight it was, with Eva. And to his advantage, Eva's clumsiness has resulted in pleasurable physical contact. However, his intentional touch wasn't a mere intimacy-seeking stunt. There's something profound in his being a tactile person whenever Eva's around. Up to this point, I got the impression that it's important for him to feel Eva's whole existence and it's even crucial for him that Eva could notice only him. I'm sure as the story develops it's going to be his own special way of communicating (in its broadest sense) with Eva.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read BTY,Eva described the red head at the Advocacy dinner as a woman in her 40's and isn't her husband also in his 40's?? I thought it might be her. I really don't want Anne to make an appearance in any upcoming books. but since gideon slept with her to get revenge on dr. lucas, i'm sure that will come up once again.

I didn't think that was Anne Lucas. However, i wonder if we will meet her in the upcoming books?

It's said in Chapter 7 that Gideon left "a couple of messages" (p. 109) in Eva's voice mail. I've been wondering about the quantity, the content, the duration, and the interval between them. I hope someday in the near future Sylvia would allow me to hear, eerrr... read those messages *puppy eyes*

[imagining the short sentences.... the long pauses... the various intonations in saying "Eva"... the escalating frustating tone as the messages ignored... *crossfired sgh*]

hi andie!

I was thinking the same thing and wishing we couldn've read what he left on the voicemail. but sylvia would say we won't know because eva never listened to them.

It's said in Chapter 7 that Gideon left "a couple of messages" (p. 109) in Eva's voice mail. I've been wondering about the quantity, the content, the duration, and the interval between them. I hope someday in the near future Sylvia would allow me to hear, eerrr... read those messages *puppy eyes*

[imagining the short sentences.... the long pauses... the various intonations in saying "Eva"... the escalating frustating tone as the messages ignored... *crossfired sgh*]

*ooops.. typo, supposed to be: crossfired sigh*

Chapter 8

My favorites

1. line: There's a learning curve (p. 115)

2. paragraph: He caught my hand when we cleared the turnstiles, linking his fingers with mine. The simple, intimate gesture meant so much to me in that moment that my grip tightened on his. And I'd really have to watch out for that. The moment I became grateful he was spending time with me would be the beginning of the end. Neither of us would respect me if that happened (p. 124). By holding Eva's hand publicly, Gideon once again showed me there's something profound in his way of touching Eva. He started to communicate with Eva in a whole different level. Unfortunately, I don't think that at this moment Eva could fully grasp the meaning of his message.

3. scene: Gideon and Eva brushed their teeth side by side.

Btw, do you realize there's a yoyo pattern in every other chapter? (conflict/UP--resolution/DOWN)

Peruse away, ladies.

Hi Kirsten,

I think that if anyone ever got pay-back (for their nasty actions) in this book it was Magdalene.  Could you just imagine how mortifying it must have been for Magdalene to realize that Gideon; a man whom she was clearly in love with, viewed a tape where Magdalene was confessing her inner most secrets and desires about a man who doesn’t even know she exists in that way, all the while she is getting screwed (literally) by that man’s brother, who had no other interest in her other than for her va***a?  I think it would be horrifying, to say the least.

I don’t think that Gideon could have said anything else to her, chastise her or scold her, or make her feel any worse than she already did in that moment.  In essence Magdalene got payback from another source.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I agree Gigi. I can't even imagine being in her shoes at that lunch.

*ooops.. typo, supposed to be: crossfired sigh*

Chapter 8

My favorites

1. line: There's a learning curve (p. 115)

2. paragraph: He caught my hand when we cleared the turnstiles, linking his fingers with mine. The simple, intimate gesture meant so much to me in that moment that my grip tightened on his. And I'd really have to watch out for that. The moment I became grateful he was spending time with me would be the beginning of the end. Neither of us would respect me if that happened (p. 124). By holding Eva's hand publicly, Gideon once again showed me there's something profound in his way of touching Eva. He started to communicate with Eva in a whole different level. Unfortunately, I don't think that at this moment Eva could fully grasp the meaning of his message.

3. scene: Gideon and Eva brushed their teeth side by side.

Btw, do you realize there's a yoyo pattern in every other chapter? (conflict/UP--resolution/DOWN)

Peruse away, ladies.

Yes Andie Eva acknowledges this herself when Gideon comes to take her away from the Vidal garden party she states that she can't keep going through these crazy highs and lows and that their relationship needs help...it's dysfunctional.

Hi everyone,

I think my favorite interaction in Chapter 8 was:

“I don’t think she likes me,†I told Gideon, as we waited for the elevator.

“Who?â€

“Your receptionist.â€

He glanced over that way, and the redhead beamed at him.

“Well,† I murmured.  “She likes you.â€

“I guarantee her paychecks.â€

I roared with laughter!  Isn’t that the way of the world?  I say, tell it like it is!  :)

Hi Caroline628,

I too want Cary to have his financially happily ever after.  I could see Monica and Stanton stepping in to help him though, but I could only see a scenario like that playing out for a short while.  I think that eventually they would grow tired of coming to his financial rescue. 

On some level I think that Stanton will be glad when Eva gets married.  Stanton will no longer be responsible for taking care of her and will finally get to enjoy time with Monica without having to hear about Monica worrying about Eva’s safety or of Nathan rearing his ugly head etc.  Maybe for the first time Stanton may actually get Monica all to himself without the shadow of Eva being ever present.

Please don’t get me wrong, I think that Stanton is a good man who has done a lot to help, Eva, I think that he will be glad with Eva and everyone around her will allow her to become emotionally independent and allow her to make decisions for herself.  Maybe everyone will let Eva finally prove that she has grown up.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?    

Poor Eva.

On page 122 , she is already having doubts. Her insecurities surfacing. ""In the back of my mind, I knew these feelings of happiness couldn't last. Everything was going too well" she needs a dose of confidence in the relationship department!

It didn't help when her boss had a chat with her.

Hi Julie54,

Is it just me or did Mark tiptoe over the professional line when he decided to talk to Eva about her personal life?  I found it a little odd (I know it was well intended but it was still odd).  Maybe that passage was included to give the reader insight into Marks' level of experience or inexperience when it comes to dealing with an employee.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Hi Julie54,

Is it just me or did Mark tiptoe over the professional line when he decided to talk to Eva about her personal life?  I found it a little odd (I know it was well intended but it was still odd).  Maybe that passage was included to give the reader insight into Marks' level of experience or inexperience when it comes to dealing with an employee.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Hi Gigi, Mark definitely stepped over the line. My only thought was that he possibly knew about Gideon's history with women and he knew that Eva was new to town and he may have thought he was protecting her. It will be interesting to see what the dynamics are in the future between Eva and Mark. She will have most certainly been put through the ringer when EWY starts.

Hi Gigi, Mark definitely stepped over the line. My only thought was that he possibly knew about Gideon's history with women and he knew that Eva was new to town and he may have thought he was protecting her. It will be interesting to see what the dynamics are in the future between Eva and Mark. She will have most certainly been put through the ringer when EWY starts.

Hi Ript,

I think that the underlying theme in this book seems to be that everyone keeps over-stepping their bounds when it comes to Eva.  Stanton does it because of Monica.  Monica does it because she feels guilty and entitled because she is Eva's mother.  Cary does it because he is a sh** disturber and Gideon does it because of his own fears and insecurities.  Sigh!  What a motley  crew!   :)

Hi Julie54,

hi Gigi

Yes I did think Mark crossed the line, considering Gideon doesn't work for them, although he is a client. But I think his intentions were honourable. He has grown to like Eva, and was giving her a friendly warning. Her being new to New York, she wouldn't have known about Gideons reputation. Also he saw that Eva was a good worker, I'm sure he didn't want to lose her.

Mark didn't do anything wrong by expressing friendly concern -- most especially because his entire motive was to be supportive of Eva, to assure he that he wants her to keep working for him, no matter what. Everyone knew Gideon's reputation as a ladies man (even Monica had said that to Eva back on Saturday.)

Had Mark tried to interfere by ordering Eva to stop seeing Gideon, that would have crossed a line. Also crossing a line would have been him indicating in any way she'd get fired once Gideon was done with her.

By contrast, Gideon himself actually could have been accused of sexual harassment for his little "talk" with Eva right after that first presentation meeting, when he'd asked her to hang back for a moment while Mark went back to his office. Gideon now had a formal paid financial relationship that involved Eva - he was a client of her employer. Gideon tried to pry into her love life by demanding to know if she was sexually involved with someone else -- and he immediately and very crudely propositioned her.

Not that I'm saying Eva ever would file a harassment complaint -- not some entry level person like her against a mogul like him. But the very serious differences in their positions of power made all the more serious the fact Gideon was pressuring her for sex and now had put her into a financial bind.

Chapter Eight of Bared To You - The Readers Guide

This chapter starts Monday (day eight of the story) immediately where Chapter Seven left off -- noon in Gideon's office. The chapter ends with Eva and Gideon leaving work, together, that afternoon.

Key plot developments:

• One of the most important conversations Eva and Gideon have in Bared To You happens. He convinces her to become his girlfriend.
  • Eva's boss, Mark, cautions her to be careful. He's afraid she'll quit her job if Gideon hurts her. 

New characters:

None in this chapter

How they got to this point, where she's had it and he wants it all. The timeline

1. Back on Friday afternoon, Eva had agreed to have lunch with Gideon on Monday. She wanted some breathing room after having just ended up on his office couch. He wanted to talk after work on Friday. She insisted: Monday lunch.
  2. However, Gideon didn't wait until Monday to continue his "negotiations" and so he lured Eva to one of his nightclubs on Friday night. There, they reached a deal where he'd agree to spend some friendly time with Eva so that she'd feel comfortable about then going to bed with him. They both were clear - it wouldn't be dating.
  3. But then on Saturday, Gideon got Eva to agree to be his date to a high society event, a fundraiser they both were already scheduled to attend.
  4. Eva seduced him in the back of his limo. Then he treated her badly the rest of the night, including ditching her to leave alone early. On top of that, Eva found out Gideon had long history of ditching women he f**** because he loses all respect for them.
  5. Sunday, Eva avoided Gideon's attempts to reach her, and she used Cary as a sounding board. She concluded Gideon was one of those jerks who would say anything to get laid.
  6. By Monday, she had decided Gideon was bad news and needed to be cut off. She tried to get out of having lunch with him, but he wouldn't take no for an answer. He was really sorry about what happened, and he wanted to talk in his office over a privately-catered lunch for two.
  7. So Eva went up there -- but she had no intention of talking things over. She told him point blank she didn't want to see him anymore.

Talking things over -- and becoming a real couple

Eva's side of the argument: the "strangers with benefits" deal wasn't going to work for her, and what happened Saturday was a mistake. How he behaved proved he had no interest in being on a friendly basis. They'd already hit a dead end because of his head trip. And even the best sex can screw up people's minds when sex partners are bad for one another.

Gideon's assertions: The mistake Saturday was how he handled it afterward. He was used to being in control and what happened in the limo blew that. He couldn't handle it at the time, because it was something he'd never experienced before. But now he wanted that -- wanted Eva, wanted everything. He now wanted to spend as much time as possible with her, in and out of bed.

The turning point: he convinced her he meant it - he wants a real relationship. Something he admited he's never had before. All he asked for was for her to agree to cut him some slack when he screws up while he's learning how to be a boyfriend.

All his apologizing and pleading worked - Eva went with her heart instead of her head, agreeing to becoming a real couple.

Making some things clear up front

They both agreed a condition to this relationship is they will be sexually exclusive with one another.

Eva expressly warned him she has insecurity and self-esteem issues, so he needed to think about whether he really wants to deal with that. "I'm a very jealous person. I can be irrational with it," she told him. (Page 118).

She explicitly told him she has a problem with Magdalene. Magdalene had already told him she and Eva met Saturday night -- but nothing about what really happened. Eva recounted almost word for word what Magdalene claimed, " ... you don't respect the women you f*** and that the moment you shoved your d*** into me you were done with me." (page 117). His reaction is what we readers would come to learn is a sign he's angry: he turned icy.

Gideon promised he'd talk to Magdalene and make sure that moving forward, Magdalene would not be a problem.

What else happened in this chapter:

They made plans for after work: they'll go to the gym, then they'll go to bed together.

But first, they'll buy Eva a new cell phone. Gideon learned Eva's mother has literally, not figuratively, been stalking Eva, tracking her movements via Eva's cell phone.  

For the first time, he called Eva "Angel." In return, she called him "Dark and Dangerous."

Back downstairs in her own office, Mark had a talk with her. Convinced Eva's going to end up hurt by someone like Gideon Cross, Mark makes very clear he'd hate to see her quit working in the Crossfire over it - she's a great assistant he doesn't want to lose. She vows nothing would get her to quit.

The day ends with Eva and Gideon climbing into his chauffeured Bentley, on their way to his gym.

Chapter A Day Re-Read Project - Today is Chapter Nine of Bared

This chapter unfolds Monday evening (day eight of the story).

Key plot developments:

• Eva and Gideon make love for the second time - and for the first time as a full-fledged couple. This time, the place is of Gideon's choosing - a hotel.
  • But it turns out he'd been using the hotel room he had all set up as a f*** pad. Eva finds out -- and she runs away.

Sometime after each of us finishes reading this chapter, Sylvia would like to read our favorite quotes or paragraphs. No time limit on posting them. Forum discussions about the chapters has been moving both forward and backward, as we connect how various threads of the story have unfolded.

Mark didn't do anything wrong by expressing friendly concern -- most especially because his entire motive was to be supportive of Eva, to assure he that he wants her to keep working for him, no matter what. Everyone knew Gideon's reputation as a ladies man (even Monica had said that to Eva back on Saturday.)

Had Mark tried to interfere by ordering Eva to stop seeing Gideon, that would have crossed a line. Also crossing a line would have been him indicating in any way she'd get fired once Gideon was done with her.

By contrast, Gideon himself actually could have been accused of sexual harassment for his little "talk" with Eva right after that first presentation meeting, when he'd asked her to hang back for a moment while Mark went back to his office. Gideon now had a formal paid financial relationship that involved Eva - he was a client of her employer. Gideon tried to pry into her love life by demanding to know if she was sexually involved with someone else -- and he immediately and very crudely propositioned her.

Not that I'm saying Eva ever would file a harassment complaint -- not some entry level person like her against a mogul like him. But the very serious differences in their positions of power made all the more serious the fact Gideon was pressuring her for sex and now had put her into a financial bind.

Agree, I don't think that Mark crossed the line...

He wanted Eva to know the reputation that Gideon had...

It was Eva's decision if she wanted to proceed with Gideon and I feel that Mark left it at that...

Agree, I don't think that Mark crossed the line...

He wanted Eva to know the reputation that Gideon had...

It was Eva's decision if she wanted to proceed with Gideon and I feel that Mark left it at that...

And Mark was supportive of Eva's decision, especially because under the circumstances, she gave the best possible answer. She was a big girl who could take care of herself -- and she wasn't going to let anything make her quit her job.

The genuine concern Mark displayed, which came on top of already knowing he was in a long-term loving relationship with his partner, sealed the deal for me that Mark was a "good guy" character. Far too many ambitious junior-level executives, which Mark is, would have been furious at Eva. Here Mark had just been given an unbelievable opportunity to perform for one of the richest men in the world. The owners of the agency were literally shaking Mark's hand. If Mark did well on this project, Cross Industries could become a major client giving millions of dollars in business to Waters Field & Leaman.

But just like Cary, Mark instantly saw through the situation. The whole reason Mark got picked for the project was Gideon wanted to get into Eva's pants. Mark sided with Eva, not Gideon. Mark put his heart ahead of his ambition.

Gideon promised Eva he'd talk to Magdalene so that moving forward, Magdalene would not be a problem. And it worked. It was a promise Gideon could keep. Because moving forward, Magdalene never did another openly-mean thing to Eva.

Especially after Magdalene caught Gideon and Eva "in the act" by walking in on them having sex at the Vidal estate. Even before Magdalene totally threw in the towel over Corrine, Magdalene threw in the towel over Eva. As she cried to that snake, Christopher, Magdalene admitted she believed Gideon was in love with Eva. I'm certain that the "talk" Gideon had with Magdalene the Monday he found out how vicious Magdalene had been to Eva convinced Magdalene that Gideon actually was serious about his brand new girlfriend, Eva. Then with her own eyes, Magdalene saw irrefutable proof.

I'll bet though that Magdalene still clung to some tiny hope that things would burn out between Gideon and Eva so that she (Magdalene) not Eva could fill the gaping hole in Gideon's heart -- the hole Magdalene firmly believed (wrongly) that Corrine opened up when Corrine left Gideon.

But then the final blow for Magdalene came when unexpectedly and after all those years, Corrine came running back to Gideon. Magdalene wised up that she never get Gideon now. If that sex tape between her and Christopher already wasn't a deal-breaker, well now Magdalene's chances were over forever, because Gideon had his soulmate. She had that part right. What she was wrong about is who had finally filled the hole inside Gideon. It wasn't Corrine -- it never was all those years ago and it would never be.

GOOD MORNING LADIES!!!

I wasn't able to go on the Internet last night, what with the thunderstorm and the black-out we were in, but I'll try my best to catch up with you.

Here are my favourite lines in Chap. 9:

1) 'I've died and gone to heaven,' I said, staring unabashedly.

2) Everywhere he touched me left trails of fire behind.

3) It felt so good I could've wept

4) 'You'll kill me,' he muttered with his lips  at my jaw.

CIAO!!!

Already got my favorite part of Chapter Nine picked out. It's actually a two-fer: Eva whispers something to Gideon about what she wants to do that night ... and ... oh boy.

Eva: "I want you missionary style the first time. I've been having this fantasy of you on top, banging the h*** out of me."

Gideon: "Eva, you have no idea."

Hah!!!! She had no idea that for a solid week now, Gideon has been fantasizing about just that - Eva underneath him and him banging her like crazy. From the instant he first laid eyes on her, that's exactly what he wanted: him on top, dominating her and holding her down. That whole work week he spent pestering her .... well, at the time the only way Gideon thought he could come.

The limo ride rocked his world by making him come the hardest he ever had ... he'd had sex in a way he didn't think was possible. (Plus, only later in hindsight would he have realized he'd been made love to and had made love in return for the first time in his life.)

Sure, they'd joked in his office during lunch (Chapter Eight) about the things they'd do to one another some time soon right there in his office. But when they had penciled "mind blowing sex" into their calendars for after work, we know that the whole time, Gideon was thinking about what he was gonna do when he got Eva undressed Monday evening - pin her down on the bed and nail her.

Ciao Gabri,

I think that on some level, Cary may be feeling a little bit threatened by Gideon's presence.  Up until then, Cary always had Eva to himself.  He and Eva were best friends and I am sure that on some level Cary is aware of how much Eva and her family have been helping him financially and emotionally.

I think that Cary would have seen that Gideon (even for all his trouble and emotional turmoil) must have been very different from all the other men that Eva ever dated.  In some ways I think that maybe Cary may have started to worry about his financial future and his well-being. 

I am sure that Cary wants his friend to be happy but I think that Cary also worries about what will happen to him if Eva and Gideon get married.  Thus far, Cary's career hasn't taken off and he hasn't been able to successfully maintain a relationship either.  Eva and her family have been Cary's sole supporters.  Surely those things are not lost on Cary.   What do you think?  What does everyone think?

HI GiGi,

I think Cary is only going to have to come to terms with his own possessivesness. It's not that easy to renounce your best friend and face the fact that you'll have to reshape your world accordingly.