One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

Internet is finally back and trying to keep up reading the posts.   My head is spinning.   I wonder how Cary will handle Eva and Gideon getting married.  He will be living on his own then (assuming).   Did the book actually come out and said Tatiana had a boyrfriend?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Gideon asked Eva to spend the whole night with him in his apartment, he broke one of his biggest rules of all -- the rule he would never literally sleep with a woman. By that, I mean fall asleep alongside a woman in his bed. Because of his nightmares. It makes all the more poignant that Gideon took Eva home to make up for the fact he'd taken her to that hotel for sex.

THE deal-breaker issue between him and Corrine had been more than just the fact he wouldn't have sex with her anywhere besides that hotel. He absolutely refused to stay an entire night with her -- not at that hotel, not anywhere. I think the whole reason he settled on hotel sex was because having sex at either one of their respective dorm rooms or apartments would entail spending the whole night together.

Gideon thinks Corrine broke the engagement in an attempt to force him fight for the relationship, to fight to keep her by starting to spend entire nights together. Their sleeping in one or the other's beds would move their sex life to the level of intimacy marriage would entail -- sharing a bed, a bedroom, a home itself. But when Corrine rolled the dice, she lost. Gideon was secretly relieved she ended it, because by then, he'd figured out he could never keep the nightmares of his being raped a secret from her if they shared a home.

Too, I see this as a sign of Gideon's dysfunction level when it came to relationships. He let that engagement drag on way too long -- a whole year -- when he never ought to have accepted her marriage proposal to begin with. I wonder how close to the altar the pair of them were by the time Corrine pulled her ultimatum. One year is a fairly common length of time between the start of an engagement and the wedding itself. If I had to guess, I would say the invitations had already gone out months ago and the wedding date itself was fast approaching. And perhaps the sticking point could have been the honeymoon plans. Usually, that's the groom's department. Formal etiquette (especially practiced in high society circles) is that the groom pays for the honeymoon -- so that part of the entire overall wedding plan was Gideon's responsibility. And the prospect of the honeymoon was making him start to pull away.

I'm not sure that the wedding would have been that close. The reason being is that they were still in college and probably were waiting until after graduation to start the serious planning on a wedding. I know a lot of people who did longer engagements in college and got married a few years after graduation. Thoughts?

OMG, this is great!!! I'll bet Sylvia is going to love this when she reads it :)

I especially like "The Unresolved Cerebrally Humorous Arguments". Hah!!! Subtitle: Gideon's Little Head Is Doing All The Thinking - And His Big Head Is Clueless"

Having fun with your clever system, I've got a few to add:

Chapter 2: Eva Doesn't Play Hard To Get -- She IS Hard to Get

Result: Gideon's Got Blue Balls

Chapter 4: Gideon Can't Handle This Anymore

Result: He's Still Not Getting Any Yet - But He Gets Closer

Chapter 6: Gideon Finally Gets Some

Result: Gideon Can't Handle It

Chapter 8: Gideon Finally Gets A Girlfriend

Result: Gideon Doesn't Know How To Handle It

Chapter 10: Gideon Almost Loses Her

Result: Gideon's Got Issues

What an emotional roller coaster ride!!!!!

Internet is finally back and trying to keep up reading the posts.   My head is spinning.   I wonder how Cary will handle Eva and Gideon getting married.  He will be living on his own then (assuming).   Did the book actually come out and said Tatiana had a boyrfriend?

I don't recall that either. This is all I can find. In Chapter 12, Eva is talking to Monica and says: "They need to talk to Tatianna Cherlin."

"Who's that?"

"Someone Cary's been seeing.  I think she'd get a kick out of something like this. Cary's boyfriend caught them together and she ate it up with a spoon.  She loved being the cause of the drama."

I'm not sure that the wedding would have been that close. The reason being is that they were still in college and probably were waiting until after graduation to start the serious planning on a wedding. I know a lot of people who did longer engagements in college and got married a few years after graduation. Thoughts?

A longer engagement could have been possible -- especially because the whole reason they'd gotten engaged to begin with was Corrine's first attempt to move the physical relationship to a new level of intimacy (spending whole nights in one another's dorm rooms/apartments). I had been thinking of one year as a possible timeline between start of engagement and the wedding itself, because that's a not uncommon timeline.

Besides, it's possible one or both already was out of college. Though the story does not come out and say it expressly, there's a strong suggestion Gideon dropped out of Columbia University. The word he used is "left" not "graduated." Lots of real-life richest billionaires in the world who started making their fortunes at a young age, from Bill Gates to Mark Zuckerberg, dropped out of Ivy League schools to start pursuing what they wanted to do with their futures. Gideon comes across as one of those.

We know he was a freshman when he met Corrine, which would have made him around age 18, give or take a year. But we don't know whether Corrine also was a freshman. She could have been one or more years ahead of him. Likely still an undergrad, but she could have been as old as 21, give or take a year when they first started dating.

Thus one scenario -- just one -- would put him at around age 21 and already very rich, fast on his way to becoming insanely so, and her in her mid-20s, ready to settle down and desperate to hold onto the elusive Gideon, someone she never really "caught" for all her chasing. Perhaps firmly convinced that the only way to finally "catch" him would be to marry him, I can see Corrine getting him to agree to get engaged, and then her setting a timeline of one year to the wedding.

A longer engagement could have been possible -- especially because the whole reason they'd gotten engaged to begin with was Corrine's first attempt to move the physical relationship to a new level of intimacy (spending whole nights in one another's dorm rooms/apartments). I had been thinking of one year as a possible timeline between start of engagement and the wedding itself, because that's a not uncommon timeline.

Besides, it's possible one or both already was out of college. Though the story does not come out and say it expressly, there's a strong suggestion Gideon dropped out of Columbia University. The word he used is "left" not "graduated." Lots of real-life richest billionaires in the world who started making their fortunes at a young age, from Bill Gates to Mark Zuckerberg, dropped out of Ivy League schools to start pursuing what they wanted to do with their futures. Gideon comes across as one of those.

We know he was a freshman when he met Corrine, which would have made him around age 18, give or take a year. But we don't know whether Corrine also was a freshman. She could have been one or more years ahead of him. Likely still an undergrad, but she could have been as old as 21, give or take a year when they first started dating.

Thus one scenario -- just one -- would put him at around age 21 and already very rich, fast on his way to becoming insanely so, and her in her mid-20s, ready to settle down and desperate to hold onto the elusive Gideon, someone she never really "caught" for all her chasing. Perhaps firmly convinced that the only way to finally "catch" him would be to marry him, I can see Corrine getting him to agree to get engaged, and then her setting a timeline of one year to the wedding.

It's definitely a possibility, I was just throwing out another scenario. I guess we will have to wait until Gideon tells Eva. LOL

In chapter 10, Eva gives Gideon a picture frame of a picture of herself. When would she have had time to get it? The last time she was alone, was before she had lunch with him. Also, what does 3:00 am have to do with graduation? I can see her having a frame on hand as well as a picture of herself, but a frame that depicts such a specific time. Out of both books, this was the only thing I had a hard time believing. Is it just me?

Other than that, I loved this chapter. I thought at this point things were really starting to look up for the two of them.

"I want you" I stretched out against him, aligning my bre body to his. Pressing my face into his damp throat, I sucked gently on his salty skin. I knew from my own nightmares that being held and loved could push the specters back into the closet for a little while.

His arms came round me, his hands running up and down the curve of my spine. I felt him let go of the dream with a long, deep sigh.

This is the first glimpse Eva gets of Gideons nightmares. I love that she understands and knows how to soothe him.

I have often thought, are his dreams connected to certain times when he is stressed.? Eva pulling her runner really freaked him out.

In chapter 10, Eva gives Gideon a picture frame of a picture of herself. When would she have had time to get it? The last time she was alone, was before she had lunch with him. Also, what does 3:00 am have to do with graduation? I can see her having a frame on hand as well as a picture of herself, but a frame that depicts such a specific time. Out of both books, this was the only thing I had a hard time believing. Is it just me?

Other than that, I loved this chapter. I thought at this point things were really starting to look up for the two of them.

My theories:

3 a.m. in connection with college = all-nighters cramming for exams and/or writing papers. Graduation means finally freedom for all that.

3 a.m. in connection with Gideon = he started to have one of his nightmares, but Eva woke him up before it went too far, and they made love for the first time in his bed. At around 3 a.m. (Also noteworthy is that they decided to trust one another by having sex without using a condom. He didn't have any in his home -- why would he -- they'd previously already had the discussion about contraception, and Gideon had already mentioned he could produce paperwork -- STD testing results -- to demonstrate he was disease free.

She picked it up in her apartment when they went there together before work, so she could get dressed and ready there. All she'd had with her when she went to Gideon's the night before were her gym clothes plus the outfit she'd worn to work the day before.)

My theories:

3 a.m. in connection with college = all-nighters cramming for exams and/or writing papers. Graduation means finally freedom for all that.

3 a.m. in connection with Gideon = he started to have one of his nightmares, but Eva woke him up before it went too far, and they made love for the first time in his bed. At around 3 a.m. (Also noteworthy is that they decided to trust one another by having sex without using a condom. He didn't have any in his home -- why would he -- they'd previously already had the discussion about contraception, and Gideon had already mentioned he could produce paperwork -- STD testing results -- to demonstrate he was disease free.

She picked it up in her apartment when they went there together before work, so she could get dressed and ready there. All she'd had with her when she went to Gideon's the night before were her gym clothes plus the outfit she'd worn to work the day before.)

I guess she could have had a frame, but one that had that exact time on it was odd. To me.

LN Cronan, I love your morning posts. You are giving us our own cliff notes of BTY. Love them. Keep up the great writing and terrific insights into these two dynamic characters. Thank you!

"I want you" I stretched out against him, aligning my bre body to his. Pressing my face into his damp throat, I sucked gently on his salty skin. I knew from my own nightmares that being held and loved could push the specters back into the closet for a little while.

His arms came round me, his hands running up and down the curve of my spine. I felt him let go of the dream with a long, deep sigh.

This is the first glimpse Eva gets of Gideons nightmares. I love that she understands and knows how to soothe him.

I have often thought, are his dreams connected to certain times when he is stressed.? Eva pulling her runner really freaked him out.

Eva's first Nathan nightmare in a long time, Cary would later note, was triggered by Eva's own insecurity problem with Gideon.

• One night before, Corrine existence, up to then a secret, had thrown Eva into incredible turmoil. 
  • The very next day, Corrine pulled the "nooner" stunt. That on top of the incidents the night before at the fundraiser made Eva snap.
  • It was so bad that even her old serious anger issue erupted - she slapped Gideon across the face when she confronted him about her (mistaken) belief he'd just cheated on her.
  • They had a really bad argument in his office, an argument that continued that evening during their first couples therapy session.
  • That night, Eva had a flashback nightmare of Nathan attacking her while she was helpless. 
  • Early the next morning, while Gideon was still asleep in her room (but I think actually was awake and eavesdropping) Cary and Eva had a talk.
  • It was Cary's opinion the situation with Gideon was unhealthy (especially the secret keeping) and proof of that was the nightmare. Because it had been a long time since Eva had one of those. Cary, knowing all too well the details of Eva's issues (they were in group therapy together) was blaming Eva's new relationship for opening her old wounds.

Hi Jenny720,

Welcome to the forum!  I haven’t seen you before so I hope you enjoy yourself.

In response to your comment, I agree that Monica won’t ever be completely comfortable with Eva or with her independence.  I don’t know how Monica would react if she found out about Gideon’s role in Nathan’s murder.  I guess that will depend on how shallow or fickle Monica is.  On one hand she could see Gideon as a man who so desperately and completely loves her daughter that he would do anything for her.

On the other hand, Monica may freak out that her daughter has now hooked up with a murderer.  If Gideon is capable of murdering one person then couldn’t he be capable of murdering her precious Eva?  Only Monica truly knows what is running through that airhead of hers and thus far she isn’t telling us. 

KiMa had brought it up in another posting, why would Monica feel comfortable in telling Stanton what happened to Eva and not Victor?  Victor is Eva’s father after all yet, Monica has never seen fit to tell the father of her child what happened?  Why?  I find it odd.  Maybe we will get answers on June 4th. 

As far as the Cary thing goes, I don’t know if he is on Team Gideon.  I know that he is on Team Eva for sure.  Thus far, Gideon has caused Eva more pain than good, so I could see why Cary would be reticent about Eva dating Gideon.  His concerns are valid. 

I also think that Cary sees that Eva is acting completely differently with Gideon than she has ever acted with any other boyfriend.  I think that Cary may feel just a twinge of guilt because in a way he is the one who encouraged Eva to start dating Gideon.   Maybe if Eva hadn’t taken Cary’s advice then she wouldn’t have been so miserable in her dating relationship with Gideon.  Who knows?  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Hello Gigi! Thank you for the warm welcome to my new addiction! LOL

The thought never crossed my mind as to why Monica felt comfortable in telling Stanton what happened to Eva and not Victor....makes you wonder.....

Eva's first Nathan nightmare in a long time, Cary would later note, was triggered by Eva's own insecurity problem with Gideon.

• One night before, Corrine existence, up to then a secret, had thrown Eva into incredible turmoil. 
  • The very next day, Corrine pulled the "nooner" stunt. That on top of the incidents the night before at the fundraiser made Eva snap.
  • It was so bad that even her old serious anger issue erupted - she slapped Gideon across the face when she confronted him about her (mistaken) belief he'd just cheated on her.
  • They had a really bad argument in his office, an argument that continued that evening during their first couples therapy session.
  • That night, Eva had a flashback nightmare of Nathan attacking her while she was helpless. 
  • Early the next morning, while Gideon was still asleep in her room (but I think actually was awake and eavesdropping) Cary and Eva had a talk.
  • It was Cary's opinion the situation with Gideon was unhealthy (especially the secret keeping) and proof of that was the nightmare. Because it had been a long time since Eva had one of those. Cary, knowing all too well the details of Eva's issues (they were in group therapy together) was blaming Eva's new relationship for opening her old wounds.
so we agree that stressful situations can set off the nightmares? Because I was thinking, now that Nathan is dead, and once the police investigation is over, and Gideon and Eva talk about his abused coupled with therapy, can they sleep together in the same bed? Atypical sexual parasomnia doesn't seem to go away overnight.

so we agree that stressful situations can set off the nightmares? Because I was thinking, now that Nathan is dead, and once the police investigation is over, and Gideon and Eva talk about his abused coupled with therapy, can they sleep together in the same bed? Atypical sexual parasomnia doesn't seem to go away overnight.

I think as long as he takes his prescribed medication, they should be okay.

BUT - Eva is in for a whirlwind with the dreams. Nathan may be permanently out of the picture now, but the stress of what Gideon has done is going to make her an insomniac!

BUT - Eva is in for a whirlwind with the dreams. Nathan may be permanently out of the picture now, but the stress of what Gideon has done is going to make her an insomniac!

I'll take being an insomniac sleeping next to him

i would love to sit down with these two, thrash out their issues, talk about their abuse, bang their heads together, give them some unconditional mummy love that they both missed out on,and tell them they will be ok. Job done!

I think that Dr Peterson told Gideon that therapy plus meds can control the parasomnia...certainly in several of the snippets they are in the same bed...that's encouraging

Krav Maga can help, too. Quit giggling, ladies, I'm serious :) A popular theory her has been Eva's going to use her skills to kick some jerk's @ss, with the most likely candidate being Gideon's half-brother, Christopher.

However ....

The one time Gideon attacked Eva while in a parasomnia state (it's a kind of sleepwalking) she was able to fend him off by using the defensive skills she learned in her training.

What if the real purpose of the Krav Maga is Eva's ability to fend him off if she has to can  help him be less afraid of sharing a bed with her?

Sure, he's always going to be scared on some level, but combine medication/therapy to treat the problem along with the back-up safety assurance she's not helpless .... then maybe Gideon will finally dare to share a bed, a bedroom, a home with Eva. And the very fact he can do that could, in turn, help with the underlying problem itself.

morning Gigi

Is Cary bisexuality always going to be a problem in a stable relationship? I don't know of anyone bisexual that I could ask. Can anyone help?

Hi Julie & Gigi,

I was thinking the same thing. How does it work when someone is bisexual? I really don't see Trey sticking around in the next book.

i would love to sit down with these two, thrash out their issues, talk about their abuse, bang their heads together, give them some unconditional mummy love that they both missed out on,and tell them they will be ok. Job done!

That is what they need!!! But then that would be too simple and we would have nothing to analyze LOL