One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

Cary keeps going back and forth on Brett (has kept going back and forth on Gideon, too, for that matter.)

Trey, I think, put it best in the hospital corridor talking to Eva, "He wants me, then he doesn't. He's committed, then he isn't." (page 218)

Cary's done the same thing on the Brett-Eva-Gideon situation:

Friday before the concert: pro-Brett, anti-Gideon. Earlier that week, Cary had been trying to convince Eva for the sake of her recovery as a rape victim to end things Gideon, because for the second time, Gideon had attacked her in her own bed during one of this sexually violent nightmares. Now seeing Eva for the first time in days (Friday lunch) and discovering Eva would be in the same building as Brett and Gideon that night, Cary chose to not warn her. I think he hoped that her seeing Brett in concert (she was seriously hot for the guy's voice) might help her break free of Gideon.

Monday in the hospital: pro-Gideon, anti-Brett. Cary admitted he didn't want to see Eva go down the same dark hole as she had been before, unable to handle being a rock singer's girlfriend, because her issues would drive her (and Brett) insane. Plus, Cary saw how good to Eva Gideon was being during the crisis, from arranging her being able to stay at the hospital around the clock to him taking time out of his insanely busy work life to see her that Monday morning.

Tuesday early afternoon: Mixed feelings on both. Suddenly the Brett-Eva-Gideon triangle had become appealing again, because Brett actually wanted a committed relationship with Eva. The triangle probably continued to get even more appealing by Tuesday night, with Eva sobbing in Cary's room that Gideon was (so she believed) seeing Corrine for the second night in a row. If Gideon was going to see his ex, then Eva ought to see her ex.

Fast forward to the final Monday of Reflected: Pro-Brett, anti-Gideon: Cary knew what a s*** Gideon had been to Eva, even with his own eyes seeing him coldly detached while Eva all but fainted upon learning Nathan was in town. Cary saw his best friend's heart shattered when she learned for certain Gideon had been cheating (so everyone would believe, even Eva). While online that day, Cary found the interview transcript that proved Brett meant what he'd said to Eva -- Brett wanted another shot and wasn't going to give up. Then Eva comes home from work all confused because Gideon -- after two weeks of mistreating her and then utterly ignoring her -- had given her back that ring. So Cary told her about what Brett said and firmly planted the idea of Brett as Rebound Guy. And Cary deliberately did not show Eva the article itself.

This lad has serious commitment issues especially regarding his own life. We spoke about this a while ago regarding his bi-sexuality.

When I spoke to a friend who is gay, about this subject, she said as long as their in a committed relationship it shouldnt make a difference. True. But Cary has commitment issues, he is confused. How will he ever love Trey for instance, when he enjoys sex with a woman. To me this is conflicting. Basically he does not know if he's coming or going!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning from sunny England.

My god!

I nearly choked on my cornflakes reading your posts this morning. Lol

Your banter made me chuckle. What a lovely way to start the day. :)

Henry's eyes are definitely the real deal, where Gideon is concerned. :)

So sorry didn't mean the post to cause a choking hazard lol. Good morning all from sunny Florida.

This lad has serious commitment issues especially regarding his own life. We spoke about this a while ago regarding his bi-sexuality.

When I spoke to a friend who is gay, about this subject, she said as long as their in a committed relationship it shouldnt make a difference. True. But Cary has commitment issues, he is confused. How will he ever love Trey for instance, when he enjoys sex with a woman. To me this is conflicting. Basically he does not know if he's coming or going!

True -- and Cary has watched Gideon go through periods of not knowing whether he was coming or going.

• Cutting Eva off after she discovered the nightmares -- Gideon ended up chasing Eva to get her back.
  • Ambivalence the day after Gideon's second sleep-attack on Eva -- Eva ended up running after Gideon immediately.
  • Ambivalence about whether or not Gideon wanted Corrine or Eva -- Gideon seeing both women at the same time, with Eva definitely on the losing end and being hurt badly -- Eva ended up dumping Gideon.
  • Now, as Reflected ended and Entwined begins - more Gideon ambivalence: giving Eva back her ring but still seeing Corrine (the same day Gideon gave her the ring at lunch, he left the Crossfire with Corrine in front of everyone (including accidentally Eva) after work.

The only consistent person thus far has been Brett:

• Wrote a love song about being sorry he lost Eva -- wanting her back.
  • Telling Eva point blank he wants another shot.
  • Publicly declaring (in a media interview) he's reconnected with her and wants to get back together with her.

Re-Read a Chapter a Day -- Today is Chapter 13 of Reflected in You

This chapter covers Tuesday (day 29 since they met and day 2 of their estrangement)

Key plot developments:

• This is the first day that Eva noticed that Gideon had changed from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde the day before - Gideon had been avoiding her for nearly 24 hours, and every interaction they would have Tuesday would be angry.
  • Eva found out Gideon took Corrine to dinner the night before. Eva immediately retaliated Tuesday by going out to lunch with Brett.
  • Over lunch, Brett and Eva talked about why she left. They also talked about her uncertain relationship status with Gideon. Brett asked Eva for another shot -- and refused to take no for an answer.

Favorite quote or paragraph needed from each of us, for Sylvia, after we've re-read the chapter.

Chapter 12 of Reflected in You - The Readers Guide

This chapter starts very late Sunday (day 27) and continues through Monday morning (day 28 - one month to the day since Eva and Gideon met, and three weeks to the day since they became a couple. It would also become day one of their estrangement)

Key plot developments

• As soon as Gideon and Eva arrived home from North Carolina, they learned Cary is in the hospital.
  • Someone -- Cary had no idea who -- jumped him on Friday night, beating him with a bat, inflicting a skull fracture, concussion, three cracked ribs and a broken arm.
  • We'd learn in the final chapter Nathan had been the one who assaulted Cary, and in recent spoiler information, we'd learn Monica knew it and told Gideon (but kept it from Eva and apparently Cary as well.)
  • Eva and Cary discussed his current status with estranged boyfriend Trey -- and they discuss what happened with Brett.
  • Trey visited Cary in the hospital.

New characters:

Unnamed nurse (minor - she'd later be hired away from the hospital for home care of Cary)

Cary hospitalized

Cary spent Friday evening with Trey at a club, and when Trey had to leave early, walked Trey around the corner from the club so that Trey could catch a cab. As soon as the cab pulled away, Cary was attacked -- only much later would we learn Nathan was the assailant.

He jumped Cary from behind and wielding a bat, nailed the back of Cary's head. Cary went down, and Nathan whaled on him a few more times, Cary unable to have a chance to try to defend himself. The attacker had screamed at Cary to "keep his hands of her" -- so Cary figured out it wasn't some random attack, but rather, some jealous boyfriend/husband of one of the various women Cary has slept with.

Next thing Cary knew, he woke up in the hospital. He'd sustained a skull fracture and concussion, three cracked ribs and a broken arm.

Gideon arranged for a cot to be brought in for Eva so she could stay with Cary around the clock. He also began arranging for Cary to be transferred home under full care there as soon as possible, hopefully within a couple of days.

Gideon also arranged for Eva to get the day off from work, and before he went to work himself, he stopped by the hospital with a bag he'd packed for Eva.  Gideon was every bit the loving person he'd had been to Eva that Monday morning, but without her knowing it, circumstances were about to make him decide to push her away starting later that very day.

Monica and Gideon connection

So focused on Cary, Eva didn't even notice her mother had been in contact with Gideon

Stanton and Monica left messages for Gideon when they learned Cary had been brought to the hospital. Gideon got the messages when he and Eva arrived back in New York very late Sunday.

It turned out that Gideon had left a message with Monica telling her he was taking Eva away for the weekend. Much to Monica's dismay, though, she discovered she could not reach Eva the entire weekend.

Monica arrived at the hospital around 9 a.m. Monday. Gideon arrived shortly after -- and while Eva went to talk to the now-awake Cary, Monica and Gideon spoke out in the hall. Recent spoiler information indicates Monica was the one to tell him about Nathan.

After Gideon left, Monica lectured Eva about the fact Gideon's face was bruised -- warning Eva that her chances of Gideon marrying her (Eva) would be ruined if Eva became a liability to his carefully built empire. The gold-digging Monica warned Eva she was replaceable.

Trey and Cary

The couple bridged their estrangement (caused by Cary's cheating) by going out on a platonic date Friday evening. But they're still at an impasse over Cary's hesitancy to be monogamous -- and Cary's refusal to give up women.

Trey showed up at the hospital himself that morning, having found out about the attack from detectives investigating the case. Trey and Eva had a chance to talk - and Eva suggested counseling.

"I think I have to decide if I can live with him cheating ... and I don't even know if Cary would agree to counseling. He wants me, and then he doesn't. He's committed, and then he isn't. I want in, Eva, like he's let you in, but he keeps shutting me out," Trey explained (page 218)

Eva urged Trey to be patient, explaining that it took a long time for her to break through to Cary -- doing so only after she convinced Cary -- by rebuffing his sexual advances -- that she valued Cary for something other than his looks and sex appeal.

"You need to show him that it's not just his body you want," Eva advised (page 218).

Cary and Brett

Eva got a chance to chew Cary out for his letting her walk into that concert Friday night unprepared for the fact she'd been seeing Brett's band. She told Cary what the result was -- the kiss and the fight.

Cary defended himself for having never told her before that Brett's indie band changed its name and signed on with a major label. He had been (prior to Friday) hoping she'd avoid hearing Six-Ninths first hit single (Golden) and end up falling back into the hole of being one of those girls who cannot handle dating a rock star.

From yesterday's re-read of Chapter 12, my favorite part is what had been going through Eva's mind, arriving back in New York, about  how they'd spent Sunday together in North Carolina. Saturday, they'd discussed painful things, but Sunday had been bliss. From page 204

By silent agreement we didn't talk about painful things during the rest of our time away. We didn't turn on the television or radio, because it seemed wrong to share our time with anyone. We walked on the beach again. We made long, slow, lazy love on the third-story deck. We played cards and he won every hand. We recharged and reminded ourselves that what we'd found with each other was worth fighting for.

It was the most perfect day of my life.

From yesterday's re-read of Chapter 12, my favorite part is what had been going through Eva's mind, arriving back in New York, about  how they'd spent Sunday together in North Carolina. Saturday, they'd discussed painful things, but Sunday had been bliss. From page 204

By silent agreement we didn't talk about painful things during the rest of our time away. We didn't turn on the television or radio, because it seemed wrong to share our time with anyone. We walked on the beach again. We made long, slow, lazy love on the third-story deck. We played cards and he won every hand. We recharged and reminded ourselves that what we'd found with each other was worth fighting for.

It was the most perfect day of my life.

You know even when I was reading that for the first time I knew that heartache was just around the corner . I didn't imagine it would be as awful as it really was for these two damaged lovers...

My favourite lines come from Cary

"Baby girl," he drawled. "I want to sympathise , I do, but the love triangle thing is just too delicious . The determined rock star and the possessive billionaire. Rawr."

He is so mischievous. ;)

Gotta LUV Cary!! :)

Some things that the -- let's be honest, gold-digging -- Monica advised Eva of, when she said Gideon likely will marry Eva, struck me that it's now possible Monica actually believes Gideon dumped Eva -- because Eva had become a liability and thus was replaceable by the beautiful, well-bred and well connected Corrine.

From pages 216-17

"You've got everything you need to be the perfect wife for a man of his stature, but you're still replaceable, Eva. What he's built is not. You jeopardize his empire and he'll leave you .... just be careful. That's all I'm trying to say. Don't give him any reason to turn away from you."

What if Monica thinks Gideon, like her, viewed the now spinning-out-of-control Nathan situation as a threat to everyone's public image - her own, Eva's, Gideon's? Monica has lived in dread about the rape case becoming public, a fear she instilled in Eva. it was with dismay that Monica discovered Gideon had even been told of it.

The same day Gideon found out Nathan had gotten so crazy the cops were now sniffing around was the same day Gideon started taking Corrine out again. Then Nathan ended up dead, which resulted in the old rape case court documents becoming active parts of the murder investigation. Now it's crystal clear (to Monica) that Gideon is done with Eva forever and probably is going to end up marrying his original choice for a wife, Corrine.

Makes sense why Monica has suddenly kept her mouth shut about Gideon -- and not just because she and Stanton had been cooperating with Gideon about handling Nathan's extortion attempts. I don't think Monica and Stanton were involved in the killing itself -- I think Gideon made that decision solo and kept them out of it. But Monica probably has guessed correctly Gideon was responsible for the killing (maybe hired a hitman?) And so now she and Stanton have reason to fear the cops looking into Stanton too -- what if the cops try to charge them with conspiracy? Another good reason why maybe it's for the best Gideon and Eva are done.

Mind you, this is how I see things standing at the end of Reflected - start of Entwined. A lot of people will need to figure out Gideon saved Eva's life, has loved her all along -- and will do anything to protect her. Because right now:

• Cary knows Gideon broke his best friend's heart into a million pieces -- suddenly, Brett seems like a good candidate as rebound boyfriend.
  • Victor thinks Gideon was just the latest in the a series of bad boyfriend choices by Eva -- Gideon turned out to be a cheater who probably hadn't been in love with Eva to begin with.
  • Eva's boss, Mark, has seen his original fears come true - that things would end badly between Gideon and Eva. Thank goodness Eva had meant it, though, when she vowed nothing would make her leave her job.
  • Arnoldo is probably glad Gideon got rid of Eva and is now seeing Corrine.
  • Magdalene probably thinks her original fears also came true -- Gideon holding his torch for Corrine made it possible for Corrine to come back. Yes, Gideon cared about Eva -- but in the end, the obsession with Corrine won out.
  • Corrine believes she succeeded in driving Eva away, and the fact she and Gideon are back to square one of social dating means they're on the road to becoming lovers again -- and then spouses.

Some things that the -- let's be honest, gold-digging -- Monica advised Eva of, when she said Gideon likely will marry Eva, struck me that it's now possible Monica actually believes Gideon dumped Eva -- because Eva had become a liability and thus was replaceable by the beautiful, well-bred and well connected Corrine.

From pages 216-17

"You've got everything you need to be the perfect wife for a man of his stature, but you're still replaceable, Eva. What he's built is not. You jeopardize his empire and he'll leave you .... just be careful. That's all I'm trying to say. Don't give him any reason to turn away from you."

What if Monica thinks Gideon, like her, viewed the now spinning-out-of-control Nathan situation as a threat to everyone's public image - her own, Eva's, Gideon's? Monica has lived in dread about the rape case becoming public, a fear she instilled in Eva. it was with dismay that Monica discovered Gideon had even been told of it.

The same day Gideon found out Nathan had gotten so crazy the cops were now sniffing around was the same day Gideon started taking Corrine out again. Then Nathan ended up dead, which resulted in the old rape case court documents becoming active parts of the murder investigation. Now it's crystal clear (to Monica) that Gideon is done with Eva forever and probably is going to end up marrying his original choice for a wife, Corrine.

Makes sense why Monica has suddenly kept her mouth shut about Gideon -- and not just because she and Stanton had been cooperating with Gideon about handling Nathan's extortion attempts. I don't think Monica and Stanton were involved in the killing itself -- I think Gideon made that decision solo and kept them out of it. But Monica probably has guessed correctly Gideon was responsible for the killing (maybe hired a hitman?) And so now she and Stanton have reason to fear the cops looking into Stanton too -- what if the cops try to charge them with conspiracy? Another good reason why maybe it's for the best Gideon and Eva are done.

Mind you, this is how I see things standing at the end of Reflected - start of Entwined. A lot of people will need to figure out Gideon saved Eva's life, has loved her all along -- and will do anything to protect her. Because right now:

• Cary knows Gideon broke his best friend's heart into a million pieces -- suddenly, Brett seems like a good candidate as rebound boyfriend.
  • Victor thinks Gideon was just the latest in the a series of bad boyfriend choices by Eva -- Gideon turned out to be a cheater who probably hadn't been in love with Eva to begin with.
  • Eva's boss, Mark, has seen his original fears come true - that things would end badly between Gideon and Eva. Thank goodness Eva had meant it, though, when she vowed nothing would make her leave her job.
  • Magdalene probably thinks her original fears also came true -- Gideon holding his torch for Corrine made it possible for Corrine to come back. Yes, Gideon cared about Eva -- but in the end, the obsession with Corrine won out.
  • Corrine believes she succeeded in driving Eva away, and the fact she and Gideon are back to square one of social dating means they're on the road to becoming lovers again -- and then spouses.
Bottom line this relationship is doomed!

On paper, one would think, how the h.e.l.l are they going to come back from this?

Bottom line this relationship is doomed!

On paper, one would think, how the h.e.l.l are they going to come back from this?

Because they know that even though their relationship is, by anyone else's standards, seriously messed up -- but they themselves aren't normal anyway, so eph what other people think. If they try hard enough, they can make it work. Their love for one another has given them a reason for wanting to fight for this relationship. So they'll do it -- even if it means that the only way it can work for now is to be conducted in secret while lying to the rest of the world about their true status. It beats the alternative of continuing to remain apart any longer.

Because they know that even though their relationship is, by anyone else's standards, seriously messed up -- but they themselves aren't normal anyway, so eph what other people think. If they try hard enough, they can make it work. Their love for one another has given them a reason for wanting to fight for this relationship. So they'll do it -- even if it means that the only way it can work for now is to be conducted in secret while lying to the rest of the world about their true status. It beats the alternative of continuing to remain apart any longer.

We can do secret. It's better for them. No outside interference. Let the hooha die down. They will grow stronger, learn about each other, and when the times right, go public.

Hi Sharon

I'm glad you proved them wrong.

It doesn't matter if you know someone 3 weeks or 3 years. As long as you love each other and grow together, and respect one another.

I love the idea of a party with green beer. :)

You and me had a great love. We are grateful for that. :)

And like you, I bet you don't feel your age. I'm really 25. ;) I wish. :)

Hi Sharon

I'm glad you proved them wrong.

It doesn't matter if you know someone 3 weeks or 3 years. As long as you love each other and grow together, and respect one another.

I love the idea of a party with green beer. :)

You and me had a great love. We are grateful for that. :)

And like you, I bet you don't feel your age. I'm really 25. ;) I wish. :)

I'm 25 too!!!!!!!! :)

We can do secret. It's better for them. No outside interference. Let the hooha die down. They will grow stronger, learn about each other, and when the times right, go public.

I agree completely. NC weekend is the example how prefect they are together when they don't have the world interfering. And let's be honest sneaking around and having a secret love affair is going to make some really hot sex scenes. They will get their public HEA where Gideon gets " to put a ring on it" but right now I honestly think being a secret will help build trust and communication when they are alone together.

Both Gideons and Eva's apartments are going to be out of bounds for our lovers, to meet together, too dangerous surely. Are we thinking one of Gideons many blocks of apartments somewhere?

I'm thinking the lovely house in North Carolina.

I agree completely. NC weekend is the example how prefect they are together when they don't have the world interfering. And let's be honest sneaking around and having a secret love affair is going to make some really hot sex scenes. They will get their public HEA where Gideon gets " to put a ring on it" but right now I honestly think being a secret will help build trust and communication when they are alone together.

Definitely.

Communicating is their way forward.

I'm thinking the lovely house in North Carolina.

That's a great idea. Only problem, Eva has to work. She has only been in her job, just a matter of weeks. Yes Gideon could afford to keep her at home. But I don't think Eva would be that sort of woman. She's independent and enjoys her job. NC is for the weekend, extra special sexy time!

From pages 216-17

Hi LN!

you're always so thought-inspiring!! I believe your reasoning proves I was right in thinking that Monica's "You do know better"  (page 210) was referring to their present situation, not to Eva's past, as Eva wronlgy assumed.

Both Gideons and Eva's apartments are going to be out of bounds for our lovers, to meet together, too dangerous surely. Are we thinking one of Gideons many blocks of apartments somewhere?

I bet Gideon will choose a cozy apartment somewhere on a tree lined street off the beaten path so to speak specially decorated for the two of them... :) :)

Gideon has the ability to sneak in and out of Eva's apartment building, which he owns. My guess is he uses a key card to get in and out of a service entrance and uses a service elevator.

Gideon's own apartment building must have some sort of service entrance - a place like that, domestic servants don't use the same entrances as the insanely rich. And Gideon does employ female(s) for his apartment -- he told Eva his mother and the help are the only females who have ever step foot there.

My guess - after that first night being reunited at Eva's apartment, moving forward they'll conduct their hidden affair in his. Eva will sneak in and out via the service entrance, possibly in the company of Angus.

Pros of Gideon's place:

Gideon lives alone.

The only way to approach his front door is via private elevator. I'll bet there's a back exit off the service elevator.

There's little to no danger of guests dropping by Gideon's, managing to get past the downstairs desk by mistake -- not even Corrine, as desperately as she hopes to get in there. Gideon's home has always been his sanctuary.

Cons to Eva's place:

Eva has a roommate 

The main elevator to Eva's apartment is shared by other residents.

There's always the danger of guests at Cary/Eva's place -- Cary taking home sex partners from his boyfriend to his friend-with-benefits to group-sex partiers.