Penguin Publishing Picture Posts

Kirsten

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How far will people go for what they want?

Not far -- I only have a short ride down the road to Barnes & Noble to pick up Entwined and that's all I want right now.

Because I'm in the UK, it doesn't release here till the 6th. It's pre-ordered from amazon, so the mailman won't deliver till the 8th, so I'm downloading on my daughters kindle, on the 4th. Yay!

I've taken a weeks vacation so I can read and re-read a few times, soak it in then on the 7th dissect with you lively ladies. Sylvia and her team, have done a fantastic job, whipping us up into a frenzy. Very good marketing! :)

This chapter is where it starts unravelling, spiralling out of control. Poor Eva can't understand Gideons total change of personality. He has become a Jekyll and Hyde character.

When speaking on the phone he is curt and cuts the calls short.

After seeing photos of him and Corinne, she sends him the link, letting him know she as seen them. Even after lunching with Brett, and Gideon hauling her out of the elevator, Gideons behaviour doesn't improve, in fact it gets worse. So much so, that Eva tells him, "you're making me hate you"

When she rings him at his apartment, she gets a horrible feeling of betrayal, because its obvious someone else is with him.

This poor girl is confused by his actions, because as usual he won't talk to her.

Keeping her in the dark was such a monumentally wrong decision. One that Gideon will come to regret, in the future.

All the records are now an open book to investigators. Some of the records, like his juvie criminal record, wouldn't become public documents (i.e. anyone could simply ask to see them at the court clerk's office) -- BUT -- with so many people pulling the records now and copies floating around, it could only be a matter of time before someone leaks the information to a reporter.

The reason Stanton had paid all that money years ago to tighten the seals was to prevent people who originally knew about the situation from possibly leaking anything. In a perfectly legal manner, he paid them money in return for their signatures on "non-disclosure agreements" that are legally-binding agreements to keep quiet about what happened years ago.

But now a whole new set of people are involved -- new investigators connected to the murder case, not just the original investigators  involved in the rape case. None of these new investigators are bound by non-disclosure agreements paid for by Stanton. Any of them capable of bending or even breaking laws by leaking the information to reporters who would promise to keep secret who leaked the information.

Graves herself has already bent the law -- perhaps even broken the law -- by leaking to Eva secret information about an active murder investigation. And Eva herself, as a cops' daughter, knew about leaks " .... what kind of information could be leaked from the police, and how easily and often it was done. My father, Victor Reyes, was a cop, and I'd heard plenty on the subject." (Entwined Chapter 1).

As long as what a news organization reports is true information, they can run it without legal repercussion. Even confidential documents. In the United States, the constitution protects freedom of the press -- and this means no laws can be passed forbidding the media from reporting facts as long as they are true. Print lies, well yes, that's illegal -- it's known as libel, and a civil lawsuit can ruin a news organization. But a news organization that runs true information does not break any laws, because those laws can't even really exist; they'd be unconstitutional.

It is true that most news organizations have policies against routinely reporting the names of sexual assault victims, and many news organizations also have policies about running the names of child crime victims. But those policies are voluntary -- NOT because some law says they cannot run the names.  Such laws do not exist in the U.S.

People who do leak confidential information do, however, sometimes break laws by giving the information to a journalist. On some very rare occasions, someone -- usually a government official -- will try to get a journalist to turn over the identify of a source. Usually, the courts side with the journalists and their constitutional rights. On some very -- very -- rare occasions, some judge will instead come down on the other side and order a journalist to reveal a source. It doesn't work, though, because journalists will willingly go to jail for contempt of court and sit there while appeals invariably get the journalist released.

thanks LN for the information, I think it is the same here in the UK 

I think this has to do with Deanna trying her hardest to get her scoop

Maybe also Dr. Lucas and his involvement with Deanna and trying to expose Gideon

maybe Dr Lucas is blackmailing Deanna for her to get information on Gideon and now she feels trapped 

Because I'm in the UK, it doesn't release here till the 6th. It's pre-ordered from amazon, so the mailman won't deliver till the 8th, so I'm downloading on my daughters kindle, on the 4th. Yay!

I've taken a weeks vacation so I can read and re-read a few times, soak it in then on the 7th dissect with you lively ladies. Sylvia and her team, have done a fantastic job, whipping us up into a frenzy. Very good marketing! :)

so funny Julie :)

Andie so loved this post and also your use of the VORTEX . I also wonder what you thought about my last post of the COMBUSTION between GidEva. That being said though the absolute best part of your post was the THEOBROMINE reference as I am a pharmacist and it took me back to my college days desperately studying my pharmacology notes into the wee hours like I will be doing on June 4th with EWY!!! :). :)

Hi, sscrph

Your last post? The one about Eva tilting her head and I commented "it's crossfiremazing" on?

I've been in this forum for a month now and by the second week I already had Crossfiressed [hey, you came up with crossessed *high five*] popped up in my mind. That's why I'm taking some time out from our RIY re-reading project. Perhaps when you're almost done with the project, I'd be crossfiring the thread with my postings *wink*

XOXO

How far will people go for what they want?

600673_529045927130685_215735428_n.jpg

That's a man - size of the hands and the size of what appears to be a watch on the left wrist. And yes, that definitely appears to be a wedding band on the left hand. The pose makes me think the word "despair."

Geoffrey Cross?

We know Geoffrey blew his own head off. I wonder whether he did it at home. Gideon was 5 at the time, too young to be attending full-time grade school yet. Was Gideon home at the time of the suicide, if that's in fact where it happened?

Geoffrey wanted wealth -- he went too far to get it. Waaaaay too far. A Ponzi scheme on a massive scale is about the worst financial crime someone can commit.

Interesting connection between the Oscar Night Snippet and the possibility Eva is going to go after Deanna Johnson, because Deanna is after Gideon.

[Edit by: Andie Today *wink*]

Hi, LN Cronan

Whenever I talk about Chapter 2 served as resolution, I always mention the keyword "trade" found in Oscar Night snippet. The last time I was discussing it was on my crossword-sudoku-puzzle combo theory posted on the New Entwined Clues thread. And I already filled that keyword in the Snippet space on my chart. Glad you finally mixed the snippet in your theory *cheering*

I personally think the snippets are smartegically [that's smart+strategically] chosen. They're surprisingly helpful in crossguessingfirerandomly [eerr, that's crossfire+guessing randomly. well, I like playing with words. please tell me if you want me to stop *wink*] my crossword-sudoku-puzzle combo chart. Sylvia, you ROCK!

Oh, one more thing. I strongly believe that Deanna is targeting Gideon. In Chapter 1 of EWY, she said "This is your chance to get a bit of your own back" and "pretty soon you're going to figure out that Gideon Cross was using you to get Corinne Giroux jealous enough to come back to him" and lastly, "that man has a dark side."

(I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not but) I find it interesting that Deanna and Dr. Terry said something similar:

Deanna: "His money doesn't give him the right to do whatever the h*** he wants." (EWY, Chapter 1)

Dr. Terry: "All the money in the world doesn't give anyone the right to order you around." (BTY, p. 321)

XOXO

That's a man - size of the hands and the size of what appears to be a watch on the left wrist. And yes, that definitely appears to be a wedding band on the left hand. The pose makes me think the word "despair."

Geoffrey Cross?

We know Geoffrey blew his own head off. I wonder whether he did it at home. Gideon was 5 at the time, too young to be attending full-time grade school yet. Was Gideon home at the time of the suicide, if that's in fact where it happened?

Geoffrey wanted wealth -- he went too far to get it. Waaaaay too far. A Ponzi scheme on a massive scale is about the worst financial crime someone can commit.

How do you do that? Got to give it to you. Your good!

So you are saying this is Gideon relating his past to Eva? THE TALK we have all been waiting for finally!

Don't think Gideon would wear trousers like that, to old fashioned. Good call.

[quote name="Andie" post="11604" timestamp="

(I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not but) I find it interesting that Deanna and Dr. Terry said something similar:

Deanna: "His money doesn't give him the right to do whatever the h*** he wants." (EWY, Chapter 1)

Dr. Terry: "All the money in the world doesn't give anyone the right to order you around." (BTY, p. 321)

XOXO

Hi, LN Cronan

Whenever I talk about Chapter 2 served as resolution, I always mention the keyword "trade" found in Oscar Night snippet. The last time I was discussing it was on my crossword-sudoku-puzzle combo theory posted on the New Entwined Clues thread. And I already filled that keyword in the Snippet space on my chart. Glad you finally mixed the snippet in your theory *cheering*

I personally think the snippets are smartegically [that's smart+strategically] chosen. They're surprisingly helpful in crossguessingfirerandomly [eerr, that's crossfire+guessing randomly. well, I like playing with words. please tell me if you want me to stop *wink*] my crossword-sudoku-puzzle combo chart. Sylvia, you ROCK!

Oh, one more thing. I strongly believe that Deanna is targeting Gideon. In Chapter 1 of EWY, she said "This is your chance to get a bit of your own back" and "pretty soon you're going to figure out that Gideon Cross was using you to get Corinne Giroux jealous enough to come back to him" and lastly, "that man has a dark side."

XOXO

Plus what Lucas says in Chapter 14 when he finds Eva in the hospital well outside the visiting hours, learns she's there because her roommate is hospitalized, and guesses correctly that Gideon threw his influence around to make it possible for her to be there. Some of the things Lucas says: 

"So Gideon Cross threw his money around and made arrangements for you .... and you're grateful. But what will it cost you? .... He uses his money to seduce women, then despises them for being shallow enough to find his wealth attractive. He uses sex for control ...."

Which begs the following questions:

• Is Lucas deluding himself into thinking it was Gideon's money, not his sexual magnetism, that made Lucas' wife have an affair with Gideon and even decide to leave him (Lucas) for Gideon? Is this Lucas' wounded pride speaking -- and like Christopher, insane jealousy over Gideon's wealth?
  • Lucas is very hung up on money. Was he bribed by Gideon's stepfather as part of the cover-up of the sexual abuse allegations? Two pediatricians examined Gideon, his mother told Eva. Lucas "alienated" Gideon from his family, Gideon told Eva. Lucas is a pediatrician. Doing the math on his age and how long he'd been married, he would have been practically fresh out of medical school and already married around the time Gideon was victimized - probably saddled with a crushing amount of student load debt and maybe with a wife hung up on wealth. 
  • If Lucas was bribed, does Gideon know -- and thus Lucas fears that weapon? Because if Lucas did indeed participate in a private investigation and then kept his mouth shut, Lucas broke medical ethics that could cost him his medical license and actually broke the law too. Ethics and the law required Lucas to report the mere allegations of sexual abuse to child protective services. 
  • Gideon was branded a disturbed liar as a young teen. Now he's a very powerful man. Is it in Lucas' best interests to paint Gideon as a disturbed manipulator in order to protect himself (Lucas) -- that if it ever came out, Lucas could claim the very investigation itself was one big lie - never happened?

<p>

Plus what Lucas says in Chapter 14 when he finds Eva in the hospital well outside the visiting hours, learns she's there because her roommate is hospitalized, and guesses correctly that Gideon threw his influence around to make it possible for her to be there. Some of the things Lucas says:

"So Gideon Cross threw his money around and made arrangements for you .... and you're grateful. But what will it cost you? .... He uses his money to seduce women, then despises them for being shallow enough to find his wealth attractive. He uses sex for control ...."

• Is Lucas deluding himself into thinking it was Gideon's money, not his sexual magnetism, that made Lucas' wife have an affair with Gideon and even decide to leave him (Lucas) for Gideon? Is this Lucas' wounded pride speaking -- and like Christopher, insane jealousy over Gideon's wealth?
  • Lucas is very hung up on money. Was he bribed by Gideon's stepfather as part of the cover-up of the sexual abuse allegations? Two pediatricians examined Gideon, his mother told Eva. Lucas "alienated" Gideon from his family, Gideon told Eva. Lucas is a pediatrician. Doing the math on his age and how long he'd been married, he would have been practically fresh out of medical school and already married around the time Gideon was victimized - probably saddled with a crushing amount of student load debt and maybe with a wife hung up on wealth.
  • If Lucas was bribed, does Gideon know -- and thus Lucas fears that weapon? Because if Lucas did indeed participate in a private investigation and then kept his mouth shut, Lucas broke medical ethics that could cost him his medical license and actually broke the law too. Ethics and the law required Lucas to report the mere allegations of sexual abuse to child protective services.
  • Gideon was branded a disturbed liar as a young teen. Now he's a very powerful man. Is it in Lucas' best interests to paint Gideon as a disturbed manipulator in order to protect himself (Lucas) -- that if it ever came out, Lucas could claim the very investigation itself was one big lie - never happened?
I think you are spot on with your theory.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

good theory, at least it is only 8 days and counting down now until we finally get to read the books :)

Has Eva got him(Lucas) running scared? After all, she is unmanageable with clothes on! Is this why Lucas is allegedly(we're surmising here) trying to paint Gideon as a sexual monster?

Has Eva got him(Lucas) running scared? After all, she is unmanageable with clothes on! Is this why Lucas is allegedly(we're surmising here) trying to paint Gideon as a sexual monster?

What Gideon did to Anne Lucas was sexually evil. It doesn't mean Gideon himself is evil -- Gideon is a flawed human being who is capable of making very bad choices (like revenge f***** an innocent third party). But he's deeply ashamed of what he did.

Tell that to Dr. Lucas though, who has tried and convicted Gideon as being a twisted individual based on what Gideon did to Anne. Lucas is not exactly objective on the situation either. He's got to convinced himself that Gideon was the instigator, that he evilly manipulated Anne with money and sex, and that Gideon's sole reason for doing so was because that's how Gideon gets off -- building up women and then breaking them.

Because what are the real alternatives:

• Anne was the one who set out to seduce Gideon, not the other way around.
  • Anne kept going back for more.
  • Anne fell in love with another man.
  • Anne was willing to divorce Lucas in order to be with Gideon.
  • It was Gideon the man (and pleasure god) not Gideon the billionaire that Anne wanted.

What Gideon did to Anne Lucas was sexually evil. It doesn't mean Gideon himself is evil -- Gideon is a flawed human being who is capable of making very bad choices (like revenge f***** an innocent third party). But he's deeply ashamed of what he did.

Tell that to Dr. Lucas though, who has tried and convicted Gideon as being a twisted individual based on what Gideon did to Anne. Lucas is not exactly objective on the situation either. He's got to convinced himself that Gideon was the instigator, that he evilly manipulated Anne with money and sex, and that Gideon's sole reason for doing so was because that's how Gideon gets off -- building up women and then breaking them.

Because what are the real alternatives:

• Anne was the one who set out to seduce Gideon, not the other way around.
  • Anne kept going back for more.
  • Anne fell in love with another man.
  • Anne was willing to divorce Lucas in order to be with Gideon.
  • It was Gideon the man (and pleasure god) not Gideon the billionaire that Anne wanted.
The truth hurts. Lucas can't admit, Gideon was the better man that Anne wanted, not him. Unfortunately, for her Gideon had other ideas. Anne was obviously unhappy in her marriage, why else would she go after someone else.

Lucas is obviously jealous of Gideons lifestyle, ie wealth, celebrity status.

If he did take a back hander, to keep quiet regarding Gideons abuse, it must have worried him, given Gideons money, that one day it will come back and bite him in the a*se.

The truth hurts. Lucas can't admit, Gideon was the better man that Anne wanted, not him. Unfortunately, for her Gideon had other ideas. Anne was obviously unhappy in her marriage, why else would she go after someone else.

Lucas is obviously jealous of Gideons lifestyle, ie wealth, celebrity status.

If he did take a back hander, to keep quiet regarding Gideons abuse, it must have worried him, given Gideons money, that one day it will come back and bite him in the a*se.

Just like Christopher Jr., Lucas obviously is insanely jealous of Gideon -- for his incredible good looks, his money, his power, the celebrity attention he gets, the fact that women throw themselves at him.

But whereas Christopher's jealousy is more general, and the way he tries to get even is by seducing women who unsuccessfully try to land Gideon, Lucas actually has real reason to be jealous on a very personal level -- because his own wife threw herself at Gideon, bedazzled by everything Gideon was (and Lucas was not.)