Penguin Publishing Picture Posts

Kirsten

Eva is chipping away at Gideon. He is learning slowly about his relationship with Eva.

He has never confided in anyone all his life, now this woman enters his world, turns it on its head, demanding answers to secrets he feels uncomfortable revealing. I think any man would have a problem revealing they were raped, regardless of age.

He also feels she has enough baggage of her own to contend with, without adding more to her burdened shoulders.

At an impressionable age with own mother struggling under baggage (a difficult pregnancy) revelations that he was sexually assault caused his mother to "abandon" him . She didn't believe him. And he believed, as he told Eva in North Carolina, his mother didn't love him enough.

The damaged person inside is probably still terrified the secrets will cost him Eva's love. This, I think is the obstacle standing between him and recovery -- one he will overcome.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At an impressionable age with own mother struggling under baggage (a difficult pregnancy) revelations that he was sexually assault caused his mother to "abandon" him . She didn't believe him. And he believed, as he told Eva in North Carolina, his mother didn't love him enough.

The damaged person inside is probably still terrified the secrets will cost him Eva's love. This, I think is the obstacle standing between him and recovery -- one he will overcome.

I agree.

If only he knew that once he tells Eva, he will feel like a great weight will have been lifted from his shoulders, just like Eva when she told him of her abuse. It's the main cause of their tension. But yes, he will overcome this hurdle.

I believe this is true. 

I remember Eva thinking "I understood why he'd worked so hard, why he was so insanely successful at such a young age.  He'd been driven to find his place in the world, to be more than an outsider."   Eva is a place for him that is better than his business world it is a personal relationship that gives him peace.  He is afraid of doing anything that will take that away from him.  (Albeit that he is his own worse enemy in this arena.)  He knows from past experience sharing too much causes pain and leaves him on his own because the people he loves don't want to hear the truth.

Hang on!!!

Just another theory.

Didn't Monica sit in a chair like this in a restaurant, when she went to lunch with Eva and Megumi.

Could it be about her guilt over Eva, her abuse, and bad parenting?

Could this be a chat with Victor?

Oh I don't know!!!

My head is swimming with theories. Ive been consumed by this book. Finding it hard to function, because I'm thinking about Gideon and Eva, when I stop for a coffee!

I just re-read the books, and I'm thinking about doing it again, keeping all of these theories in mind. They're consuming a lot of my thoughts right now too. 

I believe this is true. 

I remember Eva thinking "I understood why he'd worked so hard, why he was so insanely successful at such a young age.  He'd been driven to find his place in the world, to be more than an outsider."   Eva is a place for him that is better than his business world it is a personal relationship that gives him peace.  He is afraid of doing anything that will take that away from him.  (Albeit that he is his own worse enemy in this arena.)  He knows from past experience sharing too much causes pain and leaves him on his own because the people he loves don't want to hear the truth.

So true Sharon... :(

Interesting connection between the Oscar Night Snippet and the possibility Eva is going to go after Deanna Johnson, because Deanna is after Gideon.

First line of the snippet: “Shut up, caveman. I’m not into that ‘me Cross, you Cross little woman’ bulls***,†I snapped. “In case you’ve forgotten already, we made a trade. You got me, and I got you. I protect what’s mine.â€

Possibly related text from Entwined Chapter 1:  "I'd be d****** if I would sit back while someone took aim at Gideon. If she was determined to be a threat to him, I was determined to head her off at the pass."

My thoughts: " ... forgotten already ... " refers to a new "deal" they've agreed upon. Gideon and his need to control things, agh! First he'd wanted to lay down the terms of sex-without-expectations deal. Then he agreed to Eva's friends with benefits - but no dating deal. Then it became his boyfriend-girlfriend deal with the absolute condition of sexual monogamy. And so on ...... 

So now they've got a new deal agreeing to be equal partners together now in what happens moving forward. No more keeping Eva in the dark. That was her absolute condition, the "trade" -- she'll protect him (from the police) like he protected her (from Nathan.)

But Eva is taking that beyond the cops gunning for Gideon -- she'll go up against anyone gunning for Gideon. Deanna most certainly is -- and like the cops, Deanna went to Eva, not the other way around (i.e. like Eva went after Gideon's mother and went after Dr. Lucas.)

Snippet wording: “Eva, don’t fight my battles for me. I can take care of myself.â€

Thoughts: Gideon has either very deliberately cultivated his cool public image -- or -- more recently, deliberately manipulated the media (first with the truth he's serious about Eva then the lie he'd gotten back together with Corrine.) Other than that, Gideon has let most of the gossip just roll off his back. So he'll deal with Deanna like he has with other media - either manipulate or refuse to engage. This also can refer to him bouncing the Deanna matter over to his legal defense team. In any case, he's tried to order Eva to stay out of it (yeah, good luck with ever ordering Eva around again outside of the bedroom, Gideon!)

Snippet wording: “I know that. You’ve been doing it your whole life. Now, you’ve got me. I can handle this one.â€

Possibly related text from Entwined Chapter 1:  " .... I intended to keep tabs on (Deanna) ....If Detective Graves hadn't been able to pin anything on Gideon, a nosy freelance reporters wasn't going to do better."

Thoughts: Eva's first reaction to Deanna was to wonder whether Deanna is digging into Nathan's death. But a possible Dr. Lucas connection also occurred to Eva. Whatever it is, Eva is bound to figure it out as part of their new "trade" of her protecting him. Because if a homicide detective can't nail Gideon for something, then maybe a reporter cannot nail him for something either.

Throwing out a theory - what if it's NOT Nathan's death Deanna is looking into, but rather, Gideon's sexual history? That Dr. Lucas is manipulating Deanna behind the scenes, because Gideon broke his (Lucas') wife? Lucas is probably convinced Gideon plans to marry Corrine, and so Lucas wants to break that? Thus far, Eva has been the target of attack by women in Gideon's past (Corrine, Magdalene.) Now that Corrine appears to be on top, wouldn't it be ironic if Corrine is now the one under attack -- from one of Gideon's reject-pile brunettes, Deanna?

This is what I believe. 

I think Lucas has looked for ways to get back at Gideon since the day he dumped Anne but Gideon's sexual relationships were so secretive because Gideon didn't date.  Eva was the first person that Lucas could use to find the dirt on Gideon.  I believe that Deanna is related to, or a friend of Anne and/or the doctor.  I'll bet she is part of a plan put in motion long before the current expose  she is writing.  If Gideon tells women up front, like he did with Eva, that there is no hope of commitment it is just a roll in the hay, Deanna really couldn't use that against him and, to be honest, it wouldn't make much of a story.  The fact that the world believes Gideon dumped Eva for Corinne is a story that reads like a soap opera and will be easier to sell.  It is also a story that will shine a negative light on this rich, philanthropic hottie.

This is what I believe. 

I think Lucas has looked for ways to get back at Gideon since the day he dumped Anne but Gideon's sexual relationships were so secretive because Gideon didn't date.  Eva was the first person that Lucas could use to find the dirt on Gideon.  I believe that Deanna is related to, or a friend of Anne and/or the doctor.  I'll bet she is part of a plan put in motion long before the current expose  she is writing.  If Gideon tells women up front, like he did with Eva, that there is no hope of commitment it is just a roll in the hay, Deanna really couldn't use that against him and, to be honest, it wouldn't make much of a story.  The fact that the world believes Gideon dumped Eva for Corinne is a story that reads like a soap opera and will be easier to sell.  It is also a story that will shine a negative light on this rich, philanthropic hottie.

I don't know who I dislike more---Lucas or Christopher Jr.!! Gideon and Eva cannot deal with all of this s*** alone!! WHO can help them??

I don't know who I dislike more---Lucas or Christopher Jr.!! Gideon and Eva cannot deal with all of this s*** alone!! WHO can help them??

Billionaires like Gideon date and dump people all the time like celebrities. Gideon is NOT married and all his relationships are with another consenting adult so I don't understand why an exposé would need to be written about this. The only thing I am worried about Deanna Johnson is that she has Nathan info ; now that could be a problem ...

Billionaires like Gideon date and dump people all the time like celebrities. Gideon is NOT married and all his relationships are with another consenting adult so I don't understand why an exposé would need to be written about this. The only thing I am worried about Deanna Johnson is that she has Nathan info ; now that could be a problem ...

Don't forget what Gideon said about ruining any publication that ran a scoop on Eva's abuse story and destroying the journalist that wrote it. I have a hunch this might be the case here.

Gideon simply dumping Eva for Corrine isn't newsworthy. Whatever Deanna is working on, it's bigger than that -- some dirt to try to seriously damage Gideon's public image.

If my theory is right that Lucas is the one behind Deanna, then the dirt likely is something to try to paint Gideon as what Lucas firmly believes Gideon is - a sick b***** who gets off on emotionally abusing women by building them up and then breaking them.

The real person Lucas would be aiming at, actually, would be Corrine -- to scare her away from Gideon and thereby ruin Gideon's chances with the only woman Gideon ever really wanted as a wife (again, this fallacy is what Lucas would believe to be true.)

So where does Eva come in handy. This is what Lucas would hope is true:

• Gideon has a history of seducing women, then immediately tiring of them as soon as he's gotten them into bed - onto the reject pile they go.
  • Eva just happened to be a sex partner that lasted longer than the others -- about a week and a half, rather than just one night, judging by the press photos (starting with the red carpet at the advocacy center fundraiser and ending with the red carpet at the Waldorf dinner the following week.)
  • What was unusual about Eva was there were a couple of candid photos (sidewalk kiss, kiss-and-make-up in Bryant Park) that showed Gideon was hot for Eva.
  • However, Lucas himself saw what happened as soon as Gideon laid eyes on Corrine at the Waldorf dinner. And Lucas jumped at the chance to cause a scene.
  • Corrine's return that night coincided with Eva vanishing from Gideon's side (in public). Lucas would assume the worst -- Eva was nothing more that a serious case of l.u.s.t but as soon as Corrine came back, Gideon started wooing Corrine.
  • When Lucas ran into Eva at the hospital, he could see she was a wreck. He guessed correctly Gideon was to blame -- and he jumped at the chance to poison her against Gideon.
  • Lucas probably hopes that Eva has now gotten past sad and is now mad -- and might be ripe to be milked for info for whatever expose Deanna is working on. Eva would have been privy to some "pillow talk" -- one of the few sex partners Gideon actually was really into.

I really think Gideon's dark past is what Deanna is digging into -- NOT Eva's. I don't think Deanna even knows about Nathan.

Deanna wanted to get Eva to talk about Gideon, not herself (Eva). And it seems like Deanna is hoping the so-called "pillow talk" Eva would have heard possibly contains some juicy stuff. That, or Deanna is looking for confirmation of ways that Gideon (mis)treats women.

Deanna was trying to use as her "in" the belief that Eva got used and would probably seize on an opportunity to get even by helping to hurt Gideon somehow.

I really think Gideon's dark past is what Deanna is digging into -- NOT Eva's. I don't think Deanna even knows about Nathan.

Deanna wanted to get Eva to talk about Gideon, not herself (Eva). And it seems like Deanna is hoping the so-called "pillow talk" Eva would have heard possibly contains some juicy stuff. That, or Deanna is looking for confirmation of ways that Gideon (mis)treats women.

Deanna was trying to use as her "in" the belief that Eva got used and would probably seize on an opportunity to get even by helping to hurt Gideon somehow.

Is it just possible she could stumble across info about Eva.

This was one of Eva's worries and why she told Gideon.

Stanton paid people off in return for silence. Could someone talk, especially as journalists won't name names.

Is it just possible she could stumble across info about Eva.

This was one of Eva's worries and why she told Gideon.

Stanton paid people off in return for silence. Could someone talk, especially as journalists won't name names.

I know with the records being broken with Nathans death I would have hoped that Stanton could still protect most of the content from the prying eyes of the reporters, surely and LN you will probably know better than us, but I would have thought some of it could still be sealed 

I know with the records being broken with Nathans death I would have hoped that Stanton could still protect most of the content from the prying eyes of the reporters, surely and LN you will probably know better than us, but I would have thought some of it could still be sealed 

All the records are now an open book to investigators. Some of the records, like his juvie criminal record, wouldn't become public documents (i.e. anyone could simply ask to see them at the court clerk's office) -- BUT -- with so many people pulling the records now and copies floating around, it could only be a matter of time before someone leaks the information to a reporter.

The reason Stanton had paid all that money years ago to tighten the seals was to prevent people who originally knew about the situation from possibly leaking anything. In a perfectly legal manner, he paid them money in return for their signatures on "non-disclosure agreements" that are legally-binding agreements to keep quiet about what happened years ago.

But now a whole new set of people are involved -- new investigators connected to the murder case, not just the original investigators  involved in the rape case. None of these new investigators are bound by non-disclosure agreements paid for by Stanton. Any of them capable of bending or even breaking laws by leaking the information to reporters who would promise to keep secret who leaked the information.

Graves herself has already bent the law -- perhaps even broken the law -- by leaking to Eva secret information about an active murder investigation. And Eva herself, as a cops' daughter, knew about leaks " .... what kind of information could be leaked from the police, and how easily and often it was done. My father, Victor Reyes, was a cop, and I'd heard plenty on the subject." (Entwined Chapter 1).

As long as what a news organization reports is true information, they can run it without legal repercussion. Even confidential documents. In the United States, the constitution protects freedom of the press -- and this means no laws can be passed forbidding the media from reporting facts as long as they are true. Print lies, well yes, that's illegal -- it's known as libel, and a civil lawsuit can ruin a news organization. But a news organization that runs true information does not break any laws, because those laws can't even really exist; they'd be unconstitutional.

It is true that most news organizations have policies against routinely reporting the names of sexual assault victims, and many news organizations also have policies about running the names of child crime victims. But those policies are voluntary -- NOT because some law says they cannot run the names.  Such laws do not exist in the U.S.

People who do leak confidential information do, however, sometimes break laws by giving the information to a journalist. On some very rare occasions, someone -- usually a government official -- will try to get a journalist to turn over the identify of a source. Usually, the courts side with the journalists and their constitutional rights. On some very -- very -- rare occasions, some judge will instead come down on the other side and order a journalist to reveal a source. It doesn't work, though, because journalists will willingly go to jail for contempt of court and sit there while appeals invariably get the journalist released.

All the records are now an open book to investigators. Some of the records, like his juvie criminal record, wouldn't become public documents (i.e. anyone could simply ask to see them at the court clerk's office) -- BUT -- with so many people pulling the records now and copies floating around, it could only be a matter of time before someone leaks the information to a reporter.

The reason Stanton had paid all that money years ago to tighten the seals was to prevent people who originally knew about the situation from possibly leaking anything. In a perfectly legal manner, he paid them money in return for their signatures on "non-disclosure agreements" that are legally-binding agreements to keep quiet about what happened years ago.

But now a whole new set of people are involved -- new investigators connected to the murder case, not just the original investigators  involved in the rape case. None of these new investigators are bound by non-disclosure agreements paid for by Stanton. Any of them capable of bending or even breaking laws by leaking the information to reporters who would promise to keep secret who leaked the information.

Graves herself has already bent the law -- perhaps even broken the law -- by leaking to Eva secret information about an active murder investigation. And Eva herself, as a cops' daughter, knew about leaks " .... what kind of information could be leaked from the police, and how easily and often it was done. My father, Victor Reyes, was a cop, and I'd heard plenty on the subject." (Entwined Chapter 1).

As long as what a news organization reports is true information, they can run it without legal repercussion. Even confidential documents. In the United States, the constitution protects freedom of the press -- and this means no laws can be passed forbidding the media from reporting facts as long as they are true. Print lies, well yes, that's illegal -- it's known as libel, and a civil lawsuit can ruin a news organization. But a news organization that runs true information does not break any laws, because those laws can't even really exist; they'd be unconstitutional.

It is true that most news organizations have policies against routinely reporting the names of sexual assault victims, and many news organizations also have policies about running the names of child crime victims. But those policies are voluntary -- NOT because some law says they cannot run the names.  Such laws do not exist in the U.S.

People who do leak confidential information do, however, sometimes break laws by giving the information to a journalist. On some very rare occasions, someone -- usually a government official -- will try to get a journalist to turn over the identify of a source. Usually, the courts side with the journalists and their constitutional rights. On some very -- very -- rare occasions, some judge will instead come down on the other side and order a journalist to reveal a source. It doesn't work, though, because journalists will willingly go to jail for contempt of court and sit there while appeals invariably get the journalist released.

Thank you LN, great job, always appreciated !!:)

I'll go to bed much more better knowing the ways of the American laws, how many can claim as much?  lol

Does this person have long black hair?/ Corinne?

I googled what does the color orange mean:

Dark orange can mean deceit and distrust.

Red-orange corresponds to desire, sexual passion, pleasure, domination, aggression, and thirst for action.

LOL