Penguin Publishing Picture Posts

Kirsten

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My theory is Eva's parents have talked about her abuse. One of them requires an ambulance through collapse. Probably Monica, but having said that, it will slay Victor when he finds out about his little girl, and him not being there to protect her. :(

Throwing out one theory - possible accidental overdose that lands Cary in the hospital?

As Reflected ended, he was still on pain meds as part of still recuperating from the serious injuries he sustained in the beating. Eva had to remind him he isn't supposed to drink while on the medication. She did so the evening before Reflected ended and Entwined opened after he jokingly complained about her bringing home sparkling cider instead of champagne.

• The chapter 7 snapshot shows an open bottle of wine and just one wine glass - suggests to me drinking alone at home.
  • The chapter 8 snapshot shows meds on a coffee table in front of a couch that has a lap blanket - suggests to me recuperating at home.
  • Cary does like to drink. The very first line of the Crossfire series (chapter 1 of Bared to You) is Cary telling Eva, "We should head to a bar and celebrate."
  • Cary is a recovering drug addict, and by its very nature, addictive illness involves abusing substances, including ingesting increasing amounts of a substance.
  • When Cary landed in the hospital because of the beating, he was worried from the get-go about the fact he had to take narcotics.

The caption of countdown picture day 11 states "what is the cost of your love" The chain of events that placed Cary in a risky place medically started with Gideon's decision to make clear to the world (meaning make clear to other men) that Eva was off the market. Gideon did this because of his own insecurities and jealousies

• The day they became boyfriend and girlfriend, Gideon staged that passionate-kiss-on-the-sidewalk and made sure his PR team leaked not only the fact the woman depicted was his girlfriend -- the leak included her name and social standing as Monica's daughter.
  • Immediately, the paparazzi went after Eva, and so the very next day they caught candid pictures of her having lunch with Cary -- then ran lies speculating that Cary also was a boyfriend of hers.
  • The tabloid/gossip site pictures are what lured Nathan out of the woodwork.
  • Nathan's belief that Cary was sexually involved with Eva directly led to him beating Cary half to death.
  • That beating directly led to Cary having had to take narcotics, a risky thing for any patient but most especially a patient with a history of drug abuse/addiction.

Maybe Deanna Johnson got hit by a car...

What an optimist!

Was you driving! :)

Over on Sylvia's Facebook page some fans are having silly fun hoping it's for Corrine ;)

Personally though, I'm hoping the plane is for Corrine - straight back to France where she belongs, not running around New York trying to chase after Gideon and scheming to chase Eva off.

Throwing out one theory - possible accidental overdose that lands Cary in the hospital?

As Reflected ended, he was still on pain meds as part of still recuperating from the serious injuries he sustained in the beating. Eva had to remind him he isn't supposed to drink while on the medication. She did so the evening before Reflected ended and Entwined opened after he jokingly complained about her bringing home sparkling cider instead of champagne.

• The chapter 7 snapshot shows an open bottle of wine and just one wine glass - suggests to me drinking alone at home.
  • The chapter 8 snapshot shows meds on a coffee table in front of a couch that has a lap blanket - suggests to me recuperating at home.
  • Cary does like to drink. The very first line of the Crossfire series (chapter 1 of Bared to You) is Cary telling Eva, "We should head to a bar and celebrate."
  • Cary is a recovering drug addict, and by its very nature, addictive illness involves abusing substances, including ingesting increasing amounts of a substance.
  • When Cary landed in the hospital because of the beating, he was worried from the get-go about the fact he had to take narcotics.

The caption of countdown picture day 11 states "what is the cost of your love" The chain of events that placed Cary in a risky place medically started with Gideon's decision to make clear to the world (meaning make clear to other men) that Eva was off the market. Gideon did this because of his own insecurities and jealousies

• The day they became boyfriend and girlfriend, Gideon staged that passionate-kiss-on-the-sidewalk and made sure his PR team leaked not only the fact the woman depicted was his girlfriend -- the leak included her name and social standing as Monica's daughter.
  • Immediately, the paparazzi went after Eva, and so the very next day they caught candid pictures of her having lunch with Cary -- then ran lies speculating that Cary also was a boyfriend of hers.
  • The tabloid/gossip site pictures are what lured Nathan out of the woodwork.
  • Nathan's belief that Cary was sexually involved with Eva directly led to him beating Cary half to death.
  • That beating directly led to Cary having had to take narcotics, a risky thing for any patient but most especially a patient with a history of drug abuse/addiction.

good idea LN

I guess we are supposed to be thinking about Brett, BUT Eva said she never loved him, didn't really know him. Maybe this is about Monica and Victor?

I think it's Brett, who has found out he feels something for Eva. Only too late.

My Cary-in-the-hospital theory is only a theory -- I expect I'll be wrong about a lot of theories I've come up with based on Sylvia's snapshots and snippets and now more recently the Penguin pictures.

One of the ways I'm going to amuse myself after I'm done reading Entwined by going back and seeing if any of my guesses were even half right. I'd be psyched if my biggest theories do play out but I'm also eagerly looking forward to being taken totally by surprise.

I was only half right about my guess about what the "Press" snapshot for Chapter 1 meant, so I was equally saying "Ah hah!!! and Wow!!!"

But in the meantime, one of my major theories I've developed is that Cary is going to face the crisis of his drug addiction kicking back in. In the present-day story, Cary is the person who has very real medical issues - he's less than three weeks into healing from very serious injuries, and at most he's four years into drug addiction recovery.

I estimate the four years tops of his being clean based on the this math

• Eva lived in San Diego for four years
  • She was involved with Brett for six months four years ago
  • Seeing Eva's guy problems (low self-esteem, promiscuity, anger) prompted her Dad to send her to Dr. Travis.
  • Eva met Cary in group therapy. At first, he was gaunt and strung out and with a history of having been through state-run rehabs -- so still struggling with drugs among the other demons he was fighting.

Of course, the ambulance picture could simply refer to the recent past -- to Cary having landed in the hospital nearly 2 1/2 weeks ago, not going to the hospital again.

The interview with Sylvia that Amazon ran last week included her talking about how Gideon will struggle with the ramifications of what he's done.

One of the more serious ramifications of Gideon's past actions is triggering Nathan to stalk Cary as well as Eva -- and thus now Gideon (and Eva too) have to live with the knowledge their love almost got Cary killed. 

Too, in Chapter 1 we saw that Eva has made the deliberate choice to keep secret from Cary the fact that Gideon killed Nathan. So what happens though if/when Cary finds out Nathan was the person who assaulted him? Cary starts connecting the dots? Maybe this could be a positive turning point for Cary when he figures out that Gideon actually had good motive for hurting Eva so badly. Because by one third of the way into Reflected, Cary had tried to talk her into dumping Gideon over the violent nightmares that were causing Gideon to attack. I can see his Gideon-is-bad-for-Eva's-emotional-recovery belief being doubly reinforced by Gideon having coldly broken Eva's heart.

Of course, the ambulance picture could simply refer to the recent past -- to Cary having landed in the hospital nearly 2 1/2 weeks ago, not going to the hospital again.

The interview with Sylvia that Amazon ran last week included her talking about how Gideon will struggle with the ramifications of what he's done.

One of the more serious ramifications of Gideon's past actions is triggering Nathan to stalk Cary as well as Eva -- and thus now Gideon (and Eva too) have to live with the knowledge their love almost got Cary killed. 

Too, in Chapter 1 we saw that Eva has made the deliberate choice to keep secret from Cary the fact that Gideon killed Nathan. So what happens though if/when Cary finds out Nathan was the person who assaulted him? Cary starts connecting the dots? Maybe this could be a positive turning point for Cary when he figures out that Gideon actually had good motive for hurting Eva so badly. Because by one third of the way into Reflected, Cary had tried to talk her into dumping Gideon over the violent nightmares that were causing Gideon to attack. I can see his Gideon-is-bad-for-Eva's-emotional-recovery belief being doubly reinforced by Gideon having coldly broken Eva's heart.

I think it would be cool if some of your theories were true in the new book LN, we shall just have to wait and see

Hi LN, I don't remember reading that interview, could you see if you still have the link or point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Hi LN, I don't remember reading that interview, could you see if you still have the link or point me in the right direction.

Cheers

http://www.omnivoracious.com/2013/05/sylvia-day-entwined-with-you.html

A key sentence is about halfway down, where Sylvia talked about how Eva is now in a good place but Gideon will struggle harder:

Gideon, however--what he’s done, there’s a lot of ramifications. Not just externally, but internally.

http://www.omnivoracious.com/2013/05/sylvia-day-entwined-with-you.html

A key sentence is about halfway down, where Sylvia talked about how Eva is now in a good place but Gideon will struggle harder:

Gideon, however--what he’s done, there’s a lot of ramifications. Not just externally, but internally.

Thanks a lot LN, appreciate it.

I keep thinking about the question "What is the cost of your love?"   It could be a discussion about the past when Eva was taken to the hospital with the miscarriage.  Maybe someone isn't going to the hospital in the present day but a discussion takes place about the past.  Then what if this discussion is between Monica and Victor?  Maybe they have a confrontation and then has some kind of cardiac event it could be either one of them.

WOW, good point. It could signify a talk about the past. 

I keep thinking about the question "What is the cost of your love?"   It could be a discussion about the past when Eva was taken to the hospital with the miscarriage.  Maybe someone isn't going to the hospital in the present day but a discussion takes place about the past.  Then what if this discussion is between Monica and Victor?  Maybe they have a confrontation and then has some kind of cardiac event it could be either one of them.

WOW, good point. It could signify a talk about the past. 

Ditto -- very good point. Because with Monica, when love comes up against money, money wins -- every single time. Look at what that choice "cost" her, cost Eva -- and will cost Victor when he finds out. It's going to break his heart, really break it now.

Whatever the situation with Cary turns out to be I think we are 99 percent sure it will involve the meds he has been taking for his injuries. Eva alluded to it in the hospital room and the reader is clued in that it will be an issue down the road. Hopefully it just involves a rehab scenario and not a full fledged OD as this would make Eva feel tremendous guilt...

Whatever the situation with Cary turns out to be I think we are 99 percent sure it will involve the meds he has been taking for his injuries. Eva alluded to it in the hospital room and the reader is clued in that it will be an issue down the road. Hopefully it just involves a rehab scenario and not a full fledged OD as this would make Eva feel tremendous guilt...

Definitely. The poor girls shoulders are already laden with her mums guilt, Gideons murder, Carys beating, and her own abuse. How much more can she endure, like Gideon, before one of them snaps!

Because by one third of the way into Reflected, Cary had tried to talk her into dumping Gideon over the violent nightmares that were causing Gideon to attack. I can see his Gideon-is-bad-for-Eva's-emotional-recovery belief being doubly reinforced by Gideon having coldly broken Eva's heart.

I have a question about this.  Do you see Cary thinking this after he realizes Nathan attacked him or before?  I kind of think Cary will change his mind once he realizes Gideon thought being in Eva's life was a danger to her and her friends. 

LN Cronan, on 24 May 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:snapback.png

Because by one third of the way into Reflected, Cary had tried to talk her into dumping Gideon over the violent nightmares that were causing Gideon to attack. I can see his Gideon-is-bad-for-Eva's-emotional-recovery belief being doubly reinforced by Gideon having coldly broken Eva's heart.

I

I have a question about this.  Do you see Cary thinking this after he realizes Nathan attacked him or before?  I kind of think Cary will change his mind once he realizes Gideon thought being in Eva's life was a danger to her and her friends. 

Before -- definitely before. Cary having very serious reservations about Gideon is how things stand as we head into Entwined. Below I've got some "after" Cary finds out theories.

"Before" as we head into Entwined

• Both of the violent nightmares where Gideon turned aggressor on Eva happened at Eva's place. After the second one, Cary flat out urged Eva to end things with Gideon for her own recovery.
  • Eva chose to continue to work through the problems with Gideon, so Cary dropped the subject.
  • But less than one week later was when Gideon started hurting Eva by taking Corrine out. Cary, now bedridden, watched Eva suffer.
  • Then Cary saw that Eva finally had enough, and she did dump Gideon (though for "cheating" not the nightmares)
  • Two days before Entwined started, Eva finally had a little contact with Gideon. Meanwhile, Cary planted the Brett Rebound Guy idea.

Possible "after"

• I'll bet Cary already suspects someone hired a hitman to kill Nathan over those pictures - probably Stanton but can't rule out Gideon. The motive for the killing would be to make sure those photos never get out. Even Eva herself (based just on the photos before she learned the scarier stuff) wondered in passing whether Gideon might have been involved.
  • Sooner or later, Cary is bound to find out Nathan was the one who almost killed him -- and that Nathan had been stalking both him and Eva.
  • I think when Cary finds that out, he'll also figure out the real motive for wanting Nathan dead. It wasn't the pictures, it was the danger to Eva's life.
  • Once Cary connects those dots, then he'll likely guess (correctly) Gideon, not Stanton, was responsible for Nathan's death.
  • Couple that with Cary probably finding out Gideon is quietly seeing Eva again  .... Cary might then smell a "rat" (in a good way) about why all of a sudden Gideon had pulled away from Eva as soon as he (Cary) ended up so badly injured.

I don't think Cary will ever find out the whole truth -- but he'll know enough to know Gideon probably saved Eva's life. That'll be good enough for Cary to change his mind about Gideon. Even with his faults, if Gideon saved Cary's "Baby Girl" how can the guy be bad for Eva?