SPOILERS: Entwined with You Overall Discussion

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here, did you see the pictures I put on especially for you today Gabri to brighten up your day LOL :)

I saw them and loved them

how very thoughtful of you, thank you again!!!! LOL :D

Where did you find them?

I'm new to this but just wanted to say HELLO to everyone, its gonna take me some time to read all the post but from what I saw I can't wait.... :)

Welcome Jerseygurl!!

You'll love these ladies as much as I do. Have a nice cup of coffe, maybe two, and enjoy your reading!!! :)

I must admit my oldest daughter and I talk about these books a lot.  (My middle daughter is shy and I don't say to much to her but her sister will share.)  A couple scenes in FSOG I couldn't figure out how Christian got Ana in the position described.  I called my daughter and asked her to try it out with her husband and let me know if it was even possible.  Her husband was game to try and they made me laugh when they described their attempt.

Omg lmao!

When reading these books my imagination goes onto overdrive! It's like watching a film in my head, putting words to pictures.

GiGi, on 11 Jul 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:snapback.png

Guten Tag Meine Liebe SME, 

I really enjoyed the Fifty Shades of Grey series. 

OH, I don´t know whay but I am so happy about his. 

I found EL James' writing style to be very refreshing.  Her English references didn't bother me in the least (Canada and England have the same language system, THIS I DO KNOW ).  

I honestly didn't understand why so many people got upset by her use of English references? WELL, EL James lives in ENGLAND! But we haven´t this complaint here.

If an author has a writing style that I am not familiar with (e.g. Leo Tolstoy), then I make a pet project to look up any sayings or wordings to understand their meaning.  I look at it as an opportunity to learn something new. 

OH YES! WE ARE SIMILAR HERE, A G A I N! I do so the same.

EL James' list of music references was WONDERFUL!!!  I wasn't familiar with some of the artists such Nitin Sawhney and it was Fantastic!!! ME, too! A lot I didn´t know before!

I loved every single thing about the books!!  I am only sad that the story ended!  I know that there are many people that read the series only for the se* and I think that it is a little sad.  Ms. James' books offer so much more than just "mommy p***" (not my favourite saying by the way- it is really disrepectful of women and mothers in general).

AH, this is so good to hear! YOU HAVE to read the fanfiction of SASHACAMERON.COM. She is writing the whole story from the POV of KATE and Elliot and than of MIA and ETHAN and tries to stick to the original plot but she has really good ideas how there could have been more to the things like Jack Hyde, Elena etc. I´ve read right know her stories, almost completely (cut and pasted all the scenes in a nice WORD-DOCUMENT) and so I do have more than several hundred pages of more from this story. Take a look if you like at this homepage! 

It is like EL JAMES has written more! And yes, I was, too, so sad that the story was over! I wanted more ... 

I am often astounded by people's visceral reactions to both EL James and Sylvia Day.  I found it absolutely astounding that people can be incredibly and openly rude about their opinions.  What ever happened to common sense?  What ever happened to if a person doesn't like something then they aren't obligated to purchase another book from these authors?  I have to wonder?  What do you think?  :)

Yeah, one reason therefore could be that a lot of people like to critizise books or to debase them when they are secretely jealous ....! This could be a mode to exert power, to make themself more important than the author.

I do think - like I have mentioned in another post today (to Sharonm or Sarah, don´t know anymore now) -  that the reaction is so visceral because these erotic themes are much more taboo than we might have thought of?!?

I do know from myself If I am struggling with certain storylines of books or their themes this could be because I have there an unresolved issue, a hurtful past or my own experiences are so different from the things mentioned in the book.

Sme

This one is for all the ladies who enjoyed the FSOG series.

There is a fnfiction blog dedicated to those series called the fsog effect. (which is quite simmilar to the Crossfire effect haha)  This lady rewrote all the chapters of all the books in Christians POV! . It's really enjoyable to read and I think she nailed it. Don't know if I'm allowed to post links, but if you google: a walk in the clouds fifty shades of grey then it's the first hit.

Hi Sarah, 

well, I don´t need to be all the time in Gideon´s head! But I understand your point of view.

As I understand this series EVA is  a not reliable narrator  because she has not the role of a narrator. We are in her head, like in her body like an silent observer we see what she sees and what she is thinking. A narrator would have the purpose to show us different side of one scene etc, to be as neutral as possible/ objective.

And from that you can learn  as a reader that - as much as you may asssume of your awareness capabilities - you never get all sides, not at once. That life and reasons for others behaviour are complexer than you have the chance to be aware of. That we never can see the whole picture completely or at the first sig

But I do agree with you that because of being in EVA´s with each rereading we can understand better the story, the characters because we know details, facts which mostly happened later. 

But - a POV of view change - wouldn´t automatically take this away. Only if the author would describe each single scene of both sides (EVA and Gideon). That would take away the suspense and the emotional rollercoaster.

But this is only my opinion!

What do you think?

sme

SME, sorry, I slipped into some writer-speak there.  I was using "narrator" to refer to the character from whose point of view we see the story.  So by that definition, Eva is the "narrator" of the first three Crossfire novels.  She proves herself to be an unreliable narrator when we hear her saying that she's not very attractive because she's so hot and sweaty but random guys at a club keep coming up and telling her how attractive she is, etc.  Her self-esteem issues get in the way of how she perceives events, and that alerts us/readers to be on the lookout for that, to not necessarily trust what she's saying/thinking is objectively true. 

I agree that the story could still have some mystery with alternating points of view.  It might start to feel gimicky - if we were seeing some things from Gideon's POV but he never explained the big holes that Eva so desperately wanted to see.  But after reading these three novels, I trust Day's plan for this story.  I'm sure if she does Gideon's POV it will be better than I'm imagining it.  Until then, I'm perfectly OK keeping him a bit mysterious.  :)  (FWIW, I liked that all of FSOG was from Ana's POV with just a peek into Christian's head at the end, looking into scenes we'd already seen from Ana's perspective.)

And I agree with what you said a couple of pages ago about men and women being socialized to express ourselves differently, but that we can all grow and change and open up more.  :)

Early in Bared to You, Cross Industries approached the agency where Mark and Eva work, inviting the agency to put in an RFP (Request For Proposal) for the Kingsman vodka account. Essentially invited the agency to put in a private bid -- a proposal for exactly what work the agency would do to advertise Kingsman, and how much they'd charge Cross Industries for the work.

When that invitation to submit an RFP came in, Mark was asked for by name. It turned out this was because Gideon deviously indirectly was trying to get access to Eva, whom at the time he was trying to seduce.

I wonder whether the meeting Mark got called might involve another invite for the agency to put in an RFP for another Cross Industries project. Like maybe the Crossroads Foundation -- how to design an advertising campaign for it. Mark's getting asked for by name again, only this time along with Eva by name.

Maybe more Gideon trying to get access to her at work -- this time her brains working on advertising for something she'd feel passionate about and has already demonstrated some talented ideas about. I can see him pulling something like this -- an "offer she can't refuse."

I'm so loving this idea.

Dear Sharonm, Dear Ladies here: 

That could be! 

I don´t want to generalize this! Because this thinking used to bounce back to me/us! (What I do mean if you are thinking like this regarding the male sex like this they don´t get a chance to behave differently, you understand, what I do mean?)

In my opinion the problem is that talking about sex, emotions, feelings and any conflicts in this area we are all - IN GENERAL - not so really trained by the society and the school system. 

Woman who talks a lot about their own conflicts, issue´s of emotions, feelings and erotic themes with their best friends are automatically NOT more skilled than the male population but somehow it seems they are not so afraid to questions thing and try to change it. I do think that has a lot to do with the fact that the woman´s body changes all the time, has to make big chances to bear a child and so on. 

The male body doesn´t have to deal with these kind of changes, therefore - I do suppose (I can´t be certain because each person is different) - to change something is very frightful for them because if you start change something you will never know - at first - if this is better than the old system!

But this are assumptions ... I do think each person - doesn´t matter if woman or man - is able to open up. It depends how to approach someone. 

And I do think all this great success of this erotic fairy tales/ stories like EL James, Sylvia Day etc. has one deeper goal - to help the society to talk about issues/probs/discontents in this area! 

What do you/your Ladies think?

SME

Hi sme :)!!

I belive that there are many and diverse reasons for men's and women's different attitudes towards this genre.

On one hand, women are celebral creatures who enjoy s+x with both their minds and their bodies. Eva herself in the shower scene on RIY says, 'I wanted my body - my desire - to be burned onto his brain the way this image of him would be burned unto mine.' (page 63). On the other hand, men are visual 'animals', who first and foremost enjoy watching (think about p o r n, peep-shows and the like). Accordingly, in the same scene in the shower, Gideon asks Eva, 'Show me what I do to you.' (page 62) and not 'Tell me what you're feeling for me now.'

This gap between the s*xes is only worsened by our social system, which allows women to freely explore and talk about their feelings, and at the same time prevents men to do the same: a man should not cry in public or talk s*x; he must be strong at all costs ... those kinds of bulls*it!

No wonder then, men don't enjoy reading erotic romances, for their minds don't find anything appealing in these novels. They simply think these books are women's stuff. Poor things!!!

If I were a man (God forbids that!!!!!) I'd read SD's novels just to figure out what women want in and out of bed!!! ;)

it goes without saying, there might be all sorts of exceptions to this broad approach, but they don't seem to affect the pattern.

Ciao!

Im rereading part 2, where Eva is talking to Dr Lucas and something hit me. Dr Lucas is a gynaecologist.... could he have messed something up with the blood and / or urine work of Corinne to fake a pregnancy?

Or is it to farfetched?

Terry is a pediatrician and Anne is a psychologist. besides that she was in ER when everyone found out she was pregnant.

Gabri, 

would you like to talk about the erotic scenes with her at all?

sme

No, not in this life!!!! :blink:

Since I'm new to this going through some of the post not sure if this has been asked but if Ann Lucas was the mother's shrink, wouldn't he remember her since her hair was red from what Eva said, also he said he found out who she was Lucas wife after he sleep with her and then she came back that's when he decided to break hair knowing it would get to Lucas, if I'm rambling sorry I'm new.

I thought we all needed a semi naked picture to pick us all up today as it will soon be the weekend. 

Sorry Whiteybitey, I know it is hot up here in Scotland today and tomorrow is supposed to be warmer but I thought it would be nice eye candy for us all, I was going to re-post the buns of steel picture but I thought that would send us all in meltdown LOL :)

Hi Sheens

feel free to post them any time!!!!! ;)

choices choices LOL :P

Tomorrow is my birthday and I am REALLY hoping that I get a new Nook.  I have the original Nook Color and with the price drop of the 9 in Nook, I asked for it.  I know that everyone feels strongly about whether to get a Nook, Kindle, Ipad or other e-reader, I think that they all have great features and most are all very similar.  However since I already have a Nook, I wanted to be able to read all the books I already have so it seemed silly to get something different.  Another thing I learned is that since the Nook takes part in Google Play (I think that is what it is called) you can download the Kindle app on the Nook, but Amazon doesn't allow you to download the Nook app from your Kindle.

Make the best choice for YOU.

We're very loveable aren't we Gabri!

Can be downright naughty, but nice. Lol :)

Hi Julie

being naughty is fun!!! ;)