SPOILERS: Entwined with You Overall Discussion

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the criticism was due to the fact that the setting of the book was Seattle/Portland area. When I read it there were some things that confused me and then after I looked up the meanings, I thought no one born in Washington, or any where in the US would say that. I was taught in creative writing to stick with what you know so the story is realistic. If the setting were London or Toronto it would have been more realistic. That said the use of British speak was insignificant to those of us who loved the story. In my opinion, the reason the books were so well loved is because the characters were so real and loveable. These comments were usually from writers who couldn't look past the grammar, typos, setting inconsistencies, etc.

I didn't mind the british speak at all but I have criticized the books for other reasons. I also read all three.

Well I attributed the British speak to the fact that Ana was a student of British literature and since Ana and Christian were always quoting authors I think that kind of fit in with that ...

I guess that is one way of looking at it but I'm not sure I buy it.  I think James used language that was comfortable to her.  As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter one way or the other.

I think the criticism was due to the fact that the setting of the book was Seattle/Portland area.  When I read it there were some things that confused me and then after I looked up the meanings, I thought no one born in Washington, or any where in the US would say that.  I was taught in creative writing to stick with what you know so the story is realistic.  If the setting were London or Toronto it would have been more realistic.  That said the use of British speak was insignificant to those of us who loved the story.  In my opinion, the reason the books were so well loved is because the characters were so real and loveable.   These comments were usually from writers who couldn't look past the grammar, typos, setting inconsistencies, etc.nt on the writing because that is subjective.

I wanted comment on this, because I have been told by many that I am a very detail oriented person and reading is included in my detail orientedness.  With that said I live, was born and raised in Portland, Oregon proper and have been to Seattle (and Vancouver), Washington more times than I can count.

I feel like E.L. did a really good job of accurately portraying and talking/writing about the pacific NW and to think that she had never been here prior to writing the books.  There was only one geographical mistake that I picked up in the 4 times I read and at least that many times I listened to the audio book. 

I will not comment on the writing because that is subjective.

I knew that relationship screamed publicity stunt... but it lasting only two weeks is weird. Hopefully he's taking a long break from dating because his turnaround time between women is rather short. How can you go from being engaged for a year and then a month or two later date a woman for almost a year break up and then a month later date another one... just an observation...

I wonder if they got through all those groceries they bought?!?!?

Hi Claudine

I'm quite happy to share with my good friends. :)

:wub:

Hi Julie

I'm soooooooo happy to be your frienf right now!!!!!!!!!!

I knew something was off between those two........In the pics I saw.H seemed quite happy but she lacked in radiance. if H were dating me (strabuzza.gif) I'd be flying sky-high like a huge balloon

I wanted comment on this, because I have been told by many that I am a very detail oriented person and reading is included in my detail orientedness.  With that said I live, was born and raised in Portland, Oregon proper and have been to Seattle (and Vancouver), Washington more times than I can count.

I feel like E.L. did a really good job of accurately portraying and talking/writing about the pacific NW and to think that she had never been here prior to writing the books.  There was only one geographical mistake that I picked up in the 4 times I read and at least that many times I listened to the audio book. 

Hi Fayeth

Sorry, I know I'm late, but this is for you!     new_birthday.gif

Hello Ladies- I'm leaving for the beach tomorrow for a week and I've made a momentous decision! :). I'm going to leave my Crossfire books behind. I don't think I've gone more than a couple of days without at least a taste, since I discovered them in the spring. So it will be cold turkey. There is wifi where I'm staying so I will have to subsist on board comments and Sheen's luscious photos. I may have to go back into the Chapter a Day favorite quotes section if I get desperate for a fix. Wish me luck. Nancy

Hello Ladies- I'm leaving for the beach tomorrow for a week and I've made a momentous decision! :). I'm going to leave my Crossfire books behind. I don't think I've gone more than a couple of days without at least a taste, since I discovered them in the spring. So it will be cold turkey. There is wifi where I'm staying so I will have to subsist on board comments and Sheen's luscious photos. I may have to go back into the Chapter a Day favorite quotes section if I get desperate for a fix. Wish me luck. Nancy

Well I sure hope that you have a wonderful time at the beach  :)

You will need us for support for the withdrawal when you get back, we will be here then  lol  :o

Sorry I'm late.  It has been a crazy week at work and I don't see next week being any better.

Happy Birthday.  happy-birthday.gif

Have fun. 

Have a great time, we will look after Gideon for you. Lol :)

Hi Julie

I'm soooooooo happy to be your frienf right now!!!!!!!!!!

I knew something was off between those two........In the pics I saw.H seemed quite happy but she lacked in radiance. if H were dating me (strabuzza.gif) I'd be flying sky-high like a huge balloon

Hey Gabri

I think we all knew it was a publicity stunt! Henry's/Gideons heart belonged to us. We're his ultimate. Lol :)

Hi Nancy.

I wish you a wonderful vacation, too!

Ciao.

Hey Gabri

I think we all knew it was a publicity stunt! Henry's/Gideons heart belonged to us. We're his ultimate. Lol :)

I love your change in perspective!!!!  :wub:

Hi ladies--

Just a brief comment.  I think EL did an amazing job of creating 2 intriguing characters.  CG is so complicated and fascinating.  She spent a lot of time developing her characters and her descriptions of the Pacific NW were spot on.  Lots of research.  Because of that when I read those Britishisms, it was disruptive.  I don't think she even realized she did it.  That is where an editor is needed to pick up this stuff and make those minor changes.  We don't use them here so they stuck out like a sore thumb.  Doesn't change the storyline or anything.  It did give critics---who I don't care for at all--something to bite into.  To be honest, when I started reading Sylvia, her attention to detail is one of the things that hooked me.  

Sorry I'm late.  It has been a crazy week at work and I don't see next week being any better.

Happy Birthday.  happy-birthday.gif

Sharon,

Thank you so much, I am sorry your week has been crazy and this coming week doesn't look better.  Maybe the following week though will be spectacular. 

The birthday greeting is much appreciated and I love the graphic.  You guys are the BEST.