Reflected in You **spoiler thread**

Sylvia Day

Hopefully Corinne will take Eva's advice and be a friend to Gideon rather than indulging in her delusions of a life with Gideon. Afterall she is no longer in the dark and she knows that Gideon is in love with Eva so if she gets hurt it is her own fault. That being said I do think Gideon will back off from Corinne and then perhaps Ireland will be more in the picture as Gideon's companion/cover to see Eva.

Hi Sscrph,

I think that will depend on whether Gideon has told Corinne the truth and that they are supposed to be "just friends" or whether Gideon is using Corinne and "falsely dating" her.  If Corinne comes up with the delusion herself then that is one thing.

If on the otherhand, Gideon lies to Corinne and uses her for his own selfish ends, well the consequences could be disasterous!!  What do you think?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if Gideon all along has told Corrine point blank in private he wants nothing more than friendship, it doesn't matter. He's treating her like his girlfriend in front of other people in a deliberate effort to make people think they've started dating again.

Eva believed it to be true (for three awful weeks) no matter how much Gideon had denied earlier that summer he had no interest in going back to Corrine, who had made it clear she (Corrine) wants him back. Why wouldn't Corrine believe it to be true Gideon wants her back -- and now has taken the first step toward getting back together with her -- spending time with her and taking her out places? Only her? That's dating.

When Eva dumped Gideon, she accused Gideon of having been too much of a coward to just admit he's gone back to Corrine. Corrine could easily be led to believe when Gideon started spending time together with her (Corrine), he just can't admit it to himself (YET) he wants Corrine back.

Especially because -- this is key -- Gideon CANNOT deny it is true he's "seeing" Corrine. Not to anyone. Now that Nathan is dead, Gideon is stuck having to lie, even if by omission. When Eva dumped him, he was forced to lie by omission even to Eva herself. So now he's stuck in a tight spot where he needs to lie by omission to Corrine too. By continuing to spend time with Corrine in a manner people think is "dating" he can fool Corrine into thinking it's true they ARE dating, but Gideon just hasn't admitted it to himself yet. 

Because the cops absolutely must not be able to PROVE he never left Eva.

Right away, the cops started busting their b***** to break his alibi. It took Graves three visits to the place where Gideon held his alibi party -- on the third visit, Graves found the possible hole, the hour-long interruption the fire caused. 

The next step would be trying to expose his true motive (loves Eva) by breaking his cover (rejected Eva over Corrine). To break the story, they'd probably attempting to question people close to him. They might even try asking Corrine or Eva herself. In fact, that's just what Graves did to start breaking Gideon's lack-of-motive cover story. Detective Graves tricked Eva into admitting Eva dumped Gideon AFTER Nathan was dead, not Gideon dumped Eva while Nathan was very much alive.

Bottom line: the cops know for sure now Gideon did not reject Eva. Thank God, they probably cannot use Eva's admission she dumped Gideon on Saturday morning, because the detective asked Eva a question (about the phone call) without Eva's lawyer present. However, unless and until that detective's mistake makes the prosecutor decide to drop the case, Gideon and Eva remain in a bind. The prosecutor still has other evidence it could use against Gideon to destroy his cover story about rejecting Eva in favor of Corrine before Nathan died.  

The prosecutor has potential witnesses that might possibly convince jurors Gideon was still involved with -- and very much in love with -- Eva even after Nathan died. These witnesses would be evidence the police/prosecution can gather fair and square -- and so it would be admissible. It's prosecution evidence the jury might buy over any defense Gideon's lawyers mount to the contrary.

The detectives caught him at Eva's family dinner after the body was found, evidence he was still seeing Eva the week Gideon supposedly had already dumped her for Corrine. A couple of weeks later, Gideon barged (actually trespassed) into Dr. Lucas' offices to symbolically "rescue" Eva from a a bitter enemy of Gideon's with good reason to hurt Eva. A prosecutor could spin Lucas incident to show the truth Gideon remained in love with Eva the whole time he had been trying to cover his own tracks by "seeing" Corrine.

rcmcap,

Most everyone I know went back and read BTY and RIY at least 3 times. I never did that until this book. I think it's because we love the story so much that we go too fast the first time. And Sylvia is so good at what she does, we can't stop thinking about it until our questions are resolved.

Hopefully Corinne will take Eva's advice and be a friend to Gideon rather than indulging in her delusions of a life with Gideon. Afterall she is no longer in the dark and she knows that Gideon is in love with Eva so if she gets hurt it is her own fault. That being said I do think Gideon will back off from Corinne and then perhaps Ireland will be more in the picture as Gideon's companion/cover to see Eva.

After this is over, there's no way Gideon and Corrine can remain friends.

For one thing, if Corrine is ever going to finally move beyond her 10-year-long obsession, she's got to literally as well as figuratively leave Gideon behind. She'll never get over him if she's exposed to physical nearness of him, the sight of him from a distance in New York, even the sound of his voice over the phone. He's like a an addictive drug to her, and she's got to abstain forever moving forward as her only hope of recovery from a broken heart and shattered dreams.

More importantly, even if Gideon finds it in his heart to forgive Corrine for all the pain she caused, he'll never forget what she did. A real friend would have been happy he'd found love with Eva and bowed out gracefully (or even never come back to begin with). Corrine would have wished for him his "happily ever after." Instead, Corrine tried to destroy Eva's love for him in order to get Eva out of the way forever so Corrine could (try) to have Gideon all to her desperately selfish self.

Not that Corrine had any way of knowing it, but Eva bears horrific mental and emotional scars inside. As a result, Eva is messed up -- through the miracle of years of good therapy, Eva has become at least capable of being able to love. Still, Eva has serious issues (and on some level always will). When she fell in love with Gideon and vice versa all the pain inside both activated as well and both of them struggled with everything from their old nightmares being triggered back into frequency to their terrors of losing people turned raging at times. 

All Corrine saw was that Eva is jealous and insecure. She deliberately manipulated both. The result could have been far worse than Eva simply pulling her final runner on Gideon. Cary himself feared the relationship could have turned into the thing that messed Eva up permanently. It'll be a miracle if Gideon, once he finally comes to fully understand that, could ever forgive Corrine. He'd be a fool to ever trust Corrine around Eva again. 

For one thing, if Corrine is ever going to finally move beyond her 10-year-long obsession, she's got to literally as well as figuratively leave Gideon behind. She'll never get over him if she's exposed to physical nearness of him, the sight of him from a distance in New York, even the sound of his voice over the phone. He's like a an addictive drug to her, and she's got to abstain forever moving forward as her only hope of recovery from a broken heart and shattered dreams.

More importantly, even if Gideon finds it in his heart to forgive Corrine for all the pain she caused, he'll never forget what she did. A real friend would have been happy he'd found love with Eva and bowed out gracefully (or even never come back to begin with). Corrine would have wished for him his "happily ever after." Instead, Corrine tried to destroy Eva's love for him in order to get Eva out of the way forever so Corrine could (try) to have Gideon all to her desperately selfish self.

Not that Corrine had any way of knowing it, but Eva bears horrific mental and emotional scars inside. As a result, Eva is messed up -- through the miracle of years of good therapy, Eva has become at least capable of being able to love. Still, Eva has serious issues (and on some level always will). When she fell in love with Gideon and vice versa all the pain inside both activated as well and both of them struggled with everything from their old nightmares being triggered back into frequency to their terrors of losing people turned raging at times. 

All Corrine saw was that Eva is jealous and insecure. She deliberately manipulated both. The result could have been far worse than Eva simply pulling her final runner on Gideon. Cary himself feared the relationship could have turned into the thing that messed Eva up permanently. It'll be a miracle if Gideon, once he finally comes to fully understand that, could ever forgive Corrine. He'd be a fool to ever trust Corrine around Eva again. 

Is Corrine to smart to turn to Christopher..? Do you think chris would do to her what he did to Magdalena if given the chance.?

Is Corrine to smart to turn to Christopher..? Do you think chris would do to her what he did to Magdalena if given the chance.?

Oh he'll try, but I doubt he'd ever succeed. I think Magdalene was a unique case. He had much better access to Magdalene (families are close and mothers are best friends) -- and Gideon wouldn't have been at any family gatherings. Creepy Christopher probably spent years slowly wearing Magdalene down as Magdalene put up with years of knowing Gideon was getting laid elsewhere while Magdalene was keeping herself unattached.

Oh he'll try, but I doubt he'd ever succeed. I think Magdalene was a unique case. He had much better access to Magdalene (families are close and mothers are best friends) -- and Gideon wouldn't have been at any family gatherings. Creepy Christopher probably spent years slowly wearing Magdalene down as Magdalene put up with years of knowing Gideon was getting laid elsewhere while Magdalene was keeping herself unattached.

I also think Corinne is quite a bit older than Christopher and I just don't see that happening at all. I think she should take a break from the Vidals and move on to someone else outside the family LOL

What would be her payback when she finally realizes that the time she was spending gideon was for another reason and not for them to rekindle what they had..! Surely she's going to be pi$$ed that Gideon doesn't want her..! She's a little sneaky wench and shell have something up that sleeve of hers.!!

I also think Corinne is quite a bit older than Christopher and I just don't see that happening at all. I think she should take a break from the Vidals and move on to someone else outside the family LOL

She did take a break..! now she wants her man back..!! She ain't going down without a fight..! Lol

I can't wait till Corinne reads PAGE SIX and reads all about Brett Kline serenading his GOLDEN GIRL EVA in the middle of Times Square. I think that is when she will figure out that Gideon is using her. Just Sayin...LOL

Gideon had been very possessive of Corrine back in college. So it must have really bothered her that ultimately, he stood back after she broke the engagement, started dating some guy he knew and ultimately married the guy (Giroux). My guess is back then, it took her dating the other guy and Gideon NOT being possessive that was the point when it dawned her on that Gideon wasn't going to chase her. Breaking the engagement had backfired.

Soooooooo ..... Brett in public hot pursuit of Eva could play out two ways. Gideon is going to have to struggle to control himself, because it's too dangerous for the cops to see he cares. Corrine is going to either see he's struggling hard and thus figure out on his own Gideon is feeling possessive of Eva (and thus still loves Eva) -- OR -- Corrine is going to focus on the fact Gideon isn't chasing Eva because of Brett, and thus Corrine's going to further fool herself into thinking Eva's gone for good.

Even if Gideon all along has told Corrine point blank in private he wants nothing more than friendship, it doesn't matter. He's treating her like his girlfriend in front of other people in a deliberate effort to make people think they've started dating again.

Eva believed it to be true (for three awful weeks) no matter how much Gideon had denied earlier that summer he had no interest in going back to Corrine, who had made it clear she (Corrine) wants him back. Why wouldn't Corrine believe it to be true Gideon wants her back -- and now has taken the first step toward getting back together with her -- spending time with her and taking her out places? Only her? That's dating.

When Eva dumped Gideon, she accused Gideon of having been too much of a coward to just admit he's gone back to Corrine. Corrine could easily be led to believe when Gideon started spending time together with her (Corrine), he just can't admit it to himself (YET) he wants Corrine back.

Especially because -- this is key -- Gideon CANNOT deny it is true he's "seeing" Corrine. Not to anyone. Now that Nathan is dead, Gideon is stuck having to lie, even if by omission. When Eva dumped him, he was forced to lie by omission even to Eva herself. So now he's stuck in a tight spot where he needs to lie by omission to Corrine too. By continuing to spend time with Corrine in a manner people think is "dating" he can fool Corrine into thinking it's true they ARE dating, but Gideon just hasn't admitted it to himself yet. 

Because the cops absolutely must not be able to PROVE he never left Eva.

Right away, the cops started busting their b***** to break his alibi. It took Graves three visits to the place where Gideon held his alibi party -- on the third visit, Graves found the possible hole, the hour-long interruption the fire caused. 

The next step would be trying to expose his true motive (loves Eva) by breaking his cover (rejected Eva over Corrine). To break the story, they'd probably attempting to question people close to him. They might even try asking Corrine or Eva herself. In fact, that's just what Graves did to start breaking Gideon's lack-of-motive cover story. Detective Graves tricked Eva into admitting Eva dumped Gideon AFTER Nathan was dead, not Gideon dumped Eva while Nathan was very much alive.

Hi LNCronan,

What does that have to do with Corinne’s state of mind?  The way that was described earlier was that Gideon was purposely leading Corinne on.  If Gideon did that then he would be directly responsible for Corinne’s mental breakdown (if she were indeed to have one).

If however Corinne were told from the get-go that she and Gideon were just friends, only friends and would only ever be friends, then Corinne herself would have to decide whether she was going to try and go after a man who clearly doesn’t want her.  I don’t know how much Corinne would read into the media or their speculations about her relationship with Gideon. 

Let’s also remember that the cops have only speculation to go on and nothing more!  Mrsmajessick’s argument is correct in that it wouldn’t matter if Gideon dated, stopped dating and then started dating the same woman again. The cops have no proof or thus far haven’t been able to “gather†any evidence. 

Hi Sscrph,

I guess it remains to be seen whether Corinne is still in the dark about Gideon.  I think it will all come down to whether Gideon was lying to her and telling her that they had another shot or whether Gideon told her that they would only ever be friends. 

I don't think that Corinne would have taken anything Eva had to say to heart.  I think that Corinne quite frankly can't stand Eva (not because she has done something to her) and probably sees her as her competition.  I wonder how this is all going to play out on June 4th.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Gideon had been very possessive of Corrine back in college. So it must have really bothered her that ultimately, he stood back after she broke the engagement, started dating some guy he knew and ultimately married the guy (Giroux). My guess is back then, it took her dating the other guy and Gideon NOT being possessive that was the point when it dawned her on that Gideon wasn't going to chase her. Breaking the engagement had backfired.

Soooooooo ..... Brett in public hot pursuit of Eva could play out two ways. Gideon is going to have to struggle to control himself, because it's too dangerous for the cops to see he cares. Corrine is going to either see he's struggling hard and thus figure out on his own Gideon is feeling possessive of Eva (and thus still loves Eva) -- OR -- Corrine is going to focus on the fact Gideon isn't chasing Eva because of Brett, and thus Corrine's going to further fool herself into thinking Eva's gone for good.

Hi LNCronan,

Could it also be that Corinne realizes that absolutely everyone else is chasing after someone but NO ONE is chasing after her?  Could it be that Corinne finally realizes that Gideon really isn't interested in her or that she finally gives up on her silly quest to capture Gideon's heart?  Those are possibilities too aren't they?  What do you think? 

Easy now lady :),

Pull back on the “bearing horrific scars†bit.   :)  You make it sound like Corinne locked Eva in some terrible dungeon or had her shackled and being held against her will in some scary dark and damp cave.   

Let me be clear, what Corinne did was not nice, but it doesn’t escalate to the level of Eva bearing horrific emotional scars.  I can see your active imagination at work (which is very good by the way :)).

I think the truth of the matter is that Corinne saw a weakness in Eva and she exploited it.  Again I say that it wasn’t a nice to do, but I think that is almost a comment on how many individuals in today’s society treat their fellow man.  

I also don’t think that Gideon will react as viciously as you seem to think.  Would he ###### off, yes, absolutely, but does a reaction of total vengeance and destruction of another human being (by purposely leading her on and giving her false hope for a relationship) to the point that Corinne either snaps and tries to kill someone or herself or that she has a complete mental breakdown is simply too much.

I have asked this before and I am asking it again.  Do you really want to root for a character that is that vindictive or mean or cold or calculated that he destroys a woman because she had the misfortune of falling in love with a man who really didn’t love her?

You are right in that I don’t think that Corinne and Gideon can remain friends.  Corinne can’t seem to keep her head on straight and Gideon can’t seem to set her straight (or potentially stop using her).

She did take a break..! now she wants her man back..!! She ain't going down without a fight..! Lol

Hi MrsCrossfire,

I agree.  I think  that Corinne does want Gideon back, but I don't think that she is going to snap.  I do think that she will try everything within her power to eliminate the competition though.  I think that Corinne is threatened by Eva or at least the thought of her.  Corinne knows  that Gideon treated Eva differently.  He chased Eva and not Corinne.

I think that in turn has exploited all sorts of insecurities within Corinne.  She realizes that she isn't on good ground or maybe she even realizes that in the end she isn't going to win and maybe that's why Corinne is trying so desperately to win Gideon.  She is pulling out all the stops.

What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Bottom line: the cops know for sure now Gideon did not reject Eva. Thank God, they probably cannot use Eva's admission she dumped Gideon on Saturday morning, because the detective asked Eva a question (about the phone call) without Eva's lawyer present. However, unless and until that detective's mistake makes the prosecutor decide to drop the case, Gideon and Eva remain in a bind. The prosecutor still has other evidence it could use against Gideon to destroy his cover story about rejecting Eva in favor of Corrine before Nathan died.  

The prosecutor has potential witnesses that might possibly convince jurors Gideon was still involved with -- and very much in love with -- Eva even after Nathan died. These witnesses would be evidence the police/prosecution can gather fair and square -- and so it would be admissible. It's prosecution evidence the jury might buy over any defense Gideon's lawyers mount to the contrary.

The detectives caught him at Eva's family dinner after the body was found, evidence he was still seeing Eva the week Gideon supposedly had already dumped her for Corrine. A couple of weeks later, Gideon barged (actually trespassed) into Dr. Lucas' offices to symbolically "rescue" Eva from a a bitter enemy of Gideon's with good reason to hurt Eva. A prosecutor could spin Lucas incident to show the truth Gideon remained in love with Eva the whole time he had been trying to cover his own tracks by "seeing" Corrine.

Hi LNCronan,

All the circumstantial evidence would indeed point to Gideon dumping Eva.  Eva cheated on Gideon with Brett (by kissing him) and was witnessed by Arnoldo, Shawna, Angus and hoards of others at the concert.  Gideon got into a fight with Brett as a result, again which was witnessed by all parties.  The cops wouldn’t be able to refute any of that evidence. 

So if Gideon temporarily broke up with Eva, the cops couldn’t say that it was because Nathan was murdered or that Gideon even killed him.  I really think that this would be a dead issue for the cops. 

By all outward appearances Gideon is a wealthy, handsome man who could literally have his pick of the litter when it comes to women so why on earth would he want to kill for a woman that cheated on him and he had only been dating for a few short weeks?  I really don’t think that the cops would be able to sell this to a DA.  Bottom line, I don’t think that this case would ever make it to a jury.