Reflected in You **spoiler thread**

Sylvia Day

Classic case of you don't know what you had until it's gone.

Does Brett love Eva with all his heart? No. Does what he feel even come close to -- would ever come close to -- what Gideon feels for Eva? No. But without even realizing it at the time, Brett definitely had "fallen" for Eva. She captured a part of his heart that years later is still beating. By the time the idiot figured it out though, it was too late -- Eva was long gone, having pulled a runner and vanished without a trace.

What Brett and Eva DID have back then was very hot sexual chemistry, definitely. But at the time, he was a self-centered jerk taking the opportunity to f*** lots of women throwing themselves at him. Eva, meanwhile, was a hot mess using sex in a desperate bid to fill a hole inside of her. She herself essentially admitted to Gideon, when they had a chance to talk in North Carolina, she was a recovering s***

What exists today on Eva's side: some lingering physical attraction (just physical) that she herself is wise enough and self-aware enough to know exists. She's no intention whatsoever of every repeating the mistake of ever acting on it again, like she had when he had a momentary lapse of judgment and kissed Brett. But she knows it's there -- she smart to recognize it instead of trying to blindly fool herself into denying it exists.

What exists today on Brett's side: strong physical attraction coupled with an emotional attraction he's never gotten over. And a strong desire to fix the huge mistake he made of not having recognized that emotional attraction back then when he had Eva. He really wants a shot at being able to go out with Eva, truly get to know her beyond the bedroom (or bathroom stall or car backseat). He'd like to try to be a serious boyfriend and see if that emotional attachment can grow into love.

Not that Brett and Eva would have ever worked years ago, even if he wasn't such an idiot. Eva was a total basket case quite frankly incapable of a healthy relationship. Years of therapy helped change that, but today it is still a miracle her issues didn't completely destroy the true love she had with Gideon. Her issues repeatedly brought the relationship almost to the brink of utter failure. Gideon's too, They've managed to hold on despite that because they're doing for one another the thing they were never willing to do for either Brett or Corrine -- fight for the relationship.

Nor would Brett and Eva had worked out today if it had in fact been true the awful thing Eva falsely believed: Gideon had rejected her sexually and had surrendered to the hold Corrine always had over him. Eva would not have run to Brett as Mr. Rebound. She'd have spent a long time getting over Gideon, and then she'd work up the courage to try to find love again, blessing the memory of Gideon having taught her for only a little while what it is like when love is wonderful.

Hi LNCronan,

I don’t buy it! In RIY Brett didn’t say that he loved Eva, he didn’t say that he was sorry for how he treated her. He made one excuse after another. That isn’t love that is the plea of a selfish man.

On page229 Brett says; “…Golden is our biggest single…it’s what got us signed…Because of you, I’ve written the best material the band’s ever had…†If you really stop and read what Brett is saying, he didn’t say that he was sorry for how he acted. He talks about how he got his success (in part by the chemistry between them and the dramas that ensued as a result of that).

A really famous person once said that “Fame and fortune will magnify who you are. If you are nice and kind and respectful of others, then you will more so when you have fame and fortune. If you are a lying cheating, philanderer, then you will be more of one with the addition of money and celebrity. †Brett got off on the fact that he had groupies following him around, throwing themselves at him, doing anything just to be near him. He used women left, right and centre and never thought twice about it because it fed his ego.

Eva finally hit bottom and left (thank goodness for her), but Brett hasn’t had his fill of her yet. Could it be that she bruised his ego and therefore he is chasing her to get back what was his?

Quickly here: A friend of mine dated a HUGE rock star. They fought like cats and dogs from the get-go, but she stuck it out for a long time. They actually dated before he ever signed with a record label. After their group got signed, their relationship went from bad to worse. She was no longer just fighting with her boyfriend, she had groupies to deal with (and his adultery to contend with), drugs and alcohol started coming into play (because all of sudden this guy was surrounded by a bunch of boot licking sycophants) and the final straw he started hitting her. He thought that he was invincible! He thought that he could do anything that he wanted because he was famous and that he had money. Wrong!

My friend finally got fed up with the abuse, groupies and the I’m sorry gifts, returned each and every single gift that he ever gave her and walked away from the relationship. My point is, the guy was a dog from the beginning, we just didn’t know how much of a dog he was until fame and fortune really let his personality loose!

Bret=DOG!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that long term, the attack will be good for his career. But in the meantime, it'll be at least another month, and probably longer, before he's back into shape to be photographed again.

Meanwhile, he's sitting around -- and having to take narcotics for pain, a very dangerous thing for a recovering drug addict. I fear Cary is in for a rough ride in Entwined before he gets to his own happily ever after at the end.

Hi LNCronan,

I so wouldn't want to see Cary go down the addiction path. I don't think it would help the storyline and quite frankly it would hurt my heart! :)

Let's hope Sylvia leaves that out of her next book and any others she may write about our cheeky Cary. :)

You'll scream AGHHHHHH if you come to find out on, say June 8, that Monica killed Gideon and I'd have known it before sundown on June 4. All those days you missed being able to say HAH!!!! to me. And all those days of me being able to say, "Whew!!! Another day spared from GiGi jumping all over me saying 'Told you so!!'"

Holy Cow,

You are too hilarious! I just having to finish laughing at that one, pick myself up off the floor and start figuring out which cookies I will bake for you on June 8. A friend wouldn't want to see another friend "eat crow". So why not one of my cookies instead? :)

I have been told that I am a fabulous baker! So you decide. You can eat crow or cookies. :)

Or wait...I could be the one eating crow on June 8th, which will mean you will have been arming yourself with the I TOLD YOU SO AMUNITION for all those days! ARGHHHHH!!!!! I think I'd rather eat one of my cookies instead of crow! :) Cookies taste much better!! Trust me!! :) :) :) :)

Hi LNCronan,

Maybe I will give audio books a try. I am not sure that I would get the same "feeling" or understanding by listening to someone else read it to me. I don't know that I can hear the voices of the characters in my head, but when I read I definately create a picture in my mind.

It is like I am sitting in a corner of the room while I am watching the dialogue visually play out. I don't know if that makes sense, but it is a connection I make when I read. I also can't read something digitally, I have to have an actual book in my hand so I can physically turn each page, bookmrk the pages that interest me and go back and reread the pages I didn't quite understand. I am what one would call a tactile learner. I need to visually see and hold something in my hands in order to make the learning/reading connection (got to love Grad School Studies....sigh!). What does everyone think of audio books?

Hi LNCronan,

I don’t buy that whole thing of Brett wanting Eva back in his life because of love or deep attachment. I think that Eva was good in bed, or the bathroom stall or the limousine, or whatever and I think that somewhere he missed that.

Just think about all the adoration that Eva must have heaped on this guy and what did Brett do? He went and blabbed about it to his buddies. I think it was a punk move on his part. If you look at what Brett said. Eva was his muse, that doesn’t imply love. This man feasted on her body and her adoration and spit on her in return.

Yes I know that people can grow, but let the dude grow with someone else. I know Eva can do better, way better than Brett! What do you think? What does everyone think?

I don't know Gigi I think Brett really does care for Eva and I think he wrote Golden assuming she would hear it and come back to him, as he said he never knew what became of her. And I think that's part of Eva's lingering attraction to him she couldn't help but wonder what a real relationship would have been like with him not one based solely on S--.

Hi SScrph,

What you said could be true. I guess I find it a little difficult to believe that Brett really cared for Eva. They were sleeping together for six months and Brett never took it past a casual thing. Then when Eva finally had enough and walked away, Brett started missing her? I just find it difficult to swallow.

I wonder why Brett didn't give all the other groupies the boot if he liked Eva so much. Did he really like Eva that much or was she just the best s** partner out the bunch? I think that Brett is going to half to walk on hot coals before I start liking this dude. :)

GiGi

I'm worried that Cary won't be able to handle his fame and money. People chase for it and when they catch it, they don't know what to do or how to move forward. Add his injuries/no work, past addiction, unstable upbringing, dependency on Eva and the emotional complication of being bi-sexual. I'm worried. We want him HAPPY!

He may be okay with Eva's new love as-long-as his relationship moves forward too and he has Trey. But it's too complicated. I'm worried :( I think. Maybe Gideon will take him under his wing (career or finances) to make Eva happy. He said whatever Trey wanted from that party he could make happen AND Gideon took care of setting up his recovery after the hospital released him.

I bet Gideon messes with Brett's career. He could. We'll see.

Do any of you think that guy at the poolside bar in Vegas will reappear?

I think because he's a musician, Brett has always had girls at his disposal. Eva's disappearing probably messed with his head. I'm sure everyone in his circle wondered what happened. Tough on the ego. Now he's slightly older, things are lining up and his hoping of Eva showing up one day is a reality. He wants what he once had back and the @$$ whooping made it even more of a challenge. I think those two are going to go at it again. OMG. He could NEVER handle Eva. BUT I think this triangle will work good to the public for Gideon's alibi.

GiGi

I'm worried that Cary won't be able to handle his fame and money. People chase for it and when they catch it, they don't know what to do or how to move forward. Add his injuries/no work, past addiction, unstable upbringing, dependency on Eva and the emotional complication of being bi-sexual. I'm worried. We want him HAPPY!

He may be okay with Eva's new love as-long-as his relationship moves forward too and he has Trey. But it's too complicated. I'm worried :( I think. Maybe Gideon will take him under his wing (career or finances) to make Eva happy. He said whatever Trey wanted from that party he could make happen AND Gideon took care of setting up his recovery after the hospital released him.

I bet Gideon messes with Brett's career. He could. We'll see.

Do any of you think that guy at the poolside bar in Vegas will reappear?

Hi MicheleWV,

Why do you think that Gideon would mess with Brett’s career? In what way do you think that he would mess with it; for the good or for the bad? What would Gideon have to gain by messing with Brett’s career? Theoretically if Gideon messed with Brett’s career for the worse then that would only hurt Eva and in turn that would hurt him because I am sure that Eva would tear a strip off of Gideon over someone that she once cared about. I also think that Eva might blame herself because she kissed Brett and started this entire mess to begin with.

If however Gideon helped Cary’s career for the better then I think that he would have Eva’s gratitude and that could only be for the better. I do agree with you though, I think that Cary may be afraid of fame (which may be a reason why he has been dragging his feet about getting serious about his career) and fame may be another reason why Cary may stumble. Cary still hasn’t worked out his issues and as such is vulnerable to slipping back into his old ways.

I hope that Gideon takes Cary under his wing, although I don’t know how much good it will do. Other than line up jobs for him, I am not sure what else Gideon could other than arrange for rehab for Carey. Each of these guys has serious emotional issues and somehow I don’t see these guys hanging out a male bonding therapy weekend. :)

Ok, this could be a reach be what if....after the Eva and Elizabeth showdown, maybe Elizabeth realized what a bad mother she was. She could possibly reach out to Eva to help her make things right with Gideon again. A long shot but possible!!!

True dat. Maybe by Eva getting right into Elizabeth's face telling Elizabeth that Gideon was suffering horrific nightmares, believed himself to be unworthy of love, and that beneath the outward surface, Gideon's life was living h*** MIGHT make Elizabeth think that MAYBE Gideon hadn't lied all those years ago.

Maybe it's true after all that something terrible happened to him as a pre-teen and those pediatricians were wrong, as were the shrinks who probably told her Gideon was so desperate for attention he was telling lies. Back then, Elizabeth believed the professionals, not her own son. So now it makes sense why Gideon, all these years later, wants as little as possible to do with Elizabeth. Because she utterly failed him, the one person who ought to have loved him unconditionally.

GiGi

I see I made a typo that needs fixed... Gideon said at the garden party that he could make whatever Cary wants 'happen' not Trey.

Anyway, he controls Vidal and I'm sure everyone involved knows he can make or break them. Remember during the fight, the rest of Brett's band members came out and freaked out because of who Brett was fighting? Gideon Googles and I'm sure he saw what Brett put out about a 2nd chance with Eva and then there's THE SONG.

So to answer your question, I think Gideon could make or break Brett's career and I'm leaning towards BREAK if Brett keeps pursuing Eva. Brett needs Gideon but billionaire doesn't need or like the music industry.

Right now if Gideon did anything to "break" Brett's career, the cops would be all over that. What more proof could you want Gideon is still crazy about Eva? It'd be a "golden" opportunity to establish proof Gideon had motive to kill Nathan.

Besides, Gideon has got ZERO, nada, zip right to complain about "Brett-Eva!!!!", not after all the "Gideon-Corrine!!!!" publicity Gideon deliberately set up. Gideon's the one who got himself into this predicament, and he's only himself to blame. He just should shut up and thank God on bended knee Eva still loves him. And to trust she's not going to ever kiss Brett again, let alone sleep with him. (Yes, yes -- it'll be hard, Gideon -- deal with it. You asked Eva to blindly trust you. So now you gotta trust her in return.)

The story was bound to get out anyway once Brett finished the concert tour and sought out Eva in New York. There were too many witnesses to the fight, including the rest of the band. Might as well make the best of it. -- if people believe Gideon dumped Eva because she cheated on him, no way can the prosecution convince a jury that almost a week later, Gideon murdered Nathan.

Right now if Gideon did anything to "break" Brett's career, the cops would be all over that. What more proof could you want Gideon is still crazy about Eva?

Especially because the much better alternative "fake truth"  -- which could make the cops have to back down -- is another version: Gideon caught Eva in Brett's arms and dumped her cheating b*** then and there. Had his driver/bodyguard throw her in his limo and remove her from his sight. Tons of witnesses saw the whole thing. (No one saw the reconciliation and secret weekend of love that followed.) And only a few days after the concert, everyone started seeing celebrity photos "Gideon-Corrine!!!!!" Brett's not to blame for the break-up -- it's 100% Eva's bad, and she's the one Gideon punished.

YES,  Gideon will cringe inwardly there are going to be "Eva-Brett!!!!" speculative stories -- and even pictures if the paparazzi catches Brett anywhere near Eva. But this whole thing is -- pun intended -- a "golden" opportunity to once and for all make it practically impossible to make a convincing argument Gideon would have killed Nathan over Eva.  And he's got ZERO, nada, zip right to complain, not after all the Corrine publicity Gideon deliberately set up.

The cops are upping the ante by trying to trap Gideon. In return, he can up the ante by manipulating the media. The story was bound to get out anyway as soon as Brett finished his concert tour and came running back to New York. Might as well make the most of it.

Yep and it is just all so delicious can't wait to read it on June 4th!!

Ok, this could be a reach be what if....after the Eva and Elizabeth showdown, maybe Elizabeth realized what a bad mother she was. She could possibly reach out to Eva to help her make things right with Gideon again. A long shot but possible!!!

I like this! Yes...that would be great if that happens :)

Besides, if anyone deserves "revenge" it's Corrine, not Brett. Corrine deliberately manipulated Eva's weaknesses and came within an inch of destroying Eva's love for Gideon.

What did Brett do that deserves "revenge"?

• Kiss Eva before he knew she had a boyfriend. Um, she kissed Brett back.
  • Go talk to her a few days later to ask if the Gideon relationship was serious. And was told basically Eva wasn't sure.
  • Come back to New York to see the newly-single Eva. Gideon already hooked up with another woman, one he was probably going to end up marrying.

Gideon would be hurting Brett for spite and jealousy, not for revenge.

Hi Jls1216,

I think that is a great idea!! I would love something like that to happen! It would make for such a great storyline! Oh holy cow, I can hardly wait for June 4th! :)

Right now if Gideon did anything to "break" Brett's career, the cops would be all over that. What more proof could you want Gideon is still crazy about Eva? It'd be a "golden" opportunity to establish proof Gideon had motive to kill Nathan.

Besides, Gideon has got ZERO, nada, zip right to complain about "Brett-Eva!!!!", not after all the "Gideon-Corrine!!!!" publicity Gideon deliberately set up. Gideon's the one who got himself into this predicament, and he's only himself to blame. He just should shut up and thank God on bended knee Eva still loves him. And to trust she's not going to ever kiss Brett again, let alone sleep with him. (Yes, yes -- it'll be hard, Gideon -- deal with it. You asked Eva to blindly trust you. So now you gotta trust her in return.)

The story was bound to get out anyway once Brett finished the concert tour and sought out Eva in New York. There were too many witnesses to the fight, including the rest of the band. Might as well make the best of it. -- if people believe Gideon dumped Eva because she cheated on him, no way can the prosecution convince a jury that almost a week later, Gideon murdered Nathan.

Hi LNCronan,

Do you think that Eva would leverage his fake relationship with Corinne against him or does Gideon only “think†that Eva would do such a thing? There is a big difference between the two statements.

Hi LNCronan,

Do you think that Eva would leverage his fake relationship with Corinne against him or does Gideon only “think†that Eva would do such a thing? There is a big difference between the two statements.

No, she'd never leverage the Corrine situation ever again. Twice in the past, Eva's raging insecurity and jealousy where Corrine was concerned prompted her to gravitate toward Brett. She'll never do that again -- because she finally has faced that demon and moved beyond it. 

But right now, if Gideon started privately howling in protest over Eva having any sort of direct contact with Brett, Eva would be 100% right telling Gideon "you Cross, me Cross Woman ain't gonna cut it, Ace." He's got to stand back, sit on his hands, and trust Eva to deal with Brett herself. On her own, handle situations in which Brett ends up showing up somewhere she is. On her own talking to Brett to continue to try to convince Brett she meant what she told him at lunch weeks ago -- there's no chance she'll ever take Brett back.

This is different now (because things are so different) than the episode weeks ago when Eva did, in fact, deliberately leverage Corrine against Gideon. Gideon had blown Eva off without even a phone call Monday night in order to take Corrine to dinner. Eva, who found out online the next day, took Brett out to lunch in direct retaliation. THAT was leveraging Corrine against Gideon. At the time, Gideon deserved it. He's lucky Eva didn't do something worse. Like making sure some paparazzi got a picture of her and Brett sitting together at a restaurant table. Honestly, Eva entertained that nasty impulse briefly, still freshly furious about having just seen pictures of Gideon with Corrine at a front table at Tableau One just the night before.

Hi LNCronan,

This a dangerous game of cat and mouse that Eva and Gideon are playing. It may end up blowing up in their faces if they aren't careful. Maybe this is an area that is best left alone.

How do you think Gideon will go about breaking up with Corinne if he was "falsely" dating her? What are your thoughts?

Hi LNCronan,

This a dangerous game of cat and mouse that Eva and Gideon are playing. It may end up blowing up in their faces if they aren't careful. Maybe this is an area that is best left alone.

How do you think Gideon will go about breaking up with Corinne if he was "falsely" dating her? What are your thoughts?

Gideon had played a very dangerous game of cat and mouse on his own. Now if it's true the cops sent Eva running to him as bait for their trap, he and Eva together are playing an extremely dangerous games with the stakes getting even higher. They're now high for Eva herself, because if she actively plots with Gideon to conceal the murder now, she could face the real possibility of herself being charged as an accessory after the fact.

They've GOT to get the cops to back off. Either by making it impossible for the prosecution to sell the idea Gideon never "dumped" Eva to begin with. Or hope that the huge mistake Detective Graves made when she "set the trap" means all the evidence the trap gets is legally poisoned and so the prosecution must abandon the case forever (Graves asked Eva one question, without a lawyer present, while spilling the beans. She got Eva to admit she broke up with Gideon on Saturday morning.) 

Re: Gideon breaking up with Corrine, there are a couple of ways. He could tell Corrine "I realize now I did the right thing years ago by letting you walk away from our engagement. I'm sorry, but I'll never be able to marry you. You deserve better than me. It's over, Corrine. I want you to be happy, and you'll never be that with me." Or he could be more to the point: "I want to go back to Eva and work things out. I was wrong to walk away from her, and she wants to offer me another shot. I realize now I still love her. I'm sorry Corrine, but it'll never work out between you and me."

Aside from the fact I'm a bit of a fan (who, me?) I'm actually a natural speed reader. With novels, I usually read at a rate of 75 pages an hour. Entwined is supposed to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 330 pages (same length as Bared and Reflected.) So it'd take me less than five hours.

I read Bared in chunks of around an hour and a half each spread over several evenings. I read Reflected cover to cover on a Sunday afternoon.

Can't wait for June 4th but not so sure what my husband will think when I spend my Anniversary spending the day with Gideon and not him. Oh well after 37 year's he'll get over it. Plan on reading BIY and RIY the weekend before the release

Hi everyone,

Is it just me or has anyone ever had the experience that they read the book, but then when they go back to reread the book, they completely miss something? I can't tell you the number of times I have read something, then I have to go back into the book to get a reference and then I reread the passage and I find that I missed some extra detail from that passage in the book.

Sometimes I gobble up the book in one bite instead of savouring it. :) What does everyone think? Does anyone do that too? :)

I totally understand. I read both books twice before joining this group and because everything I am reading here I have re read them

a few more times to see what I missed.

Hi LNCronan,

Your scenario of how Gideon would break up with Corinne is brutal!  Holy crap! "...News at 11pm...Woman jumps from the top of the Crossfire Building or....Woman holding Gideon Cross hostage....negotiators are on the scene now trying to talk the woman down..."

Any way you cut it, I don't see this working out for the best.  If what you have been suspecting is true, I think there will be a very ugly turn in the storyline.  Sigh!

Hi LNCronan,

Your scenario of how Gideon would break up with Corinne is brutal!  Holy crap! "...News at 11pm...Woman jumps from the top of the Crossfire Building or....Woman holding Gideon Cross hostage....negotiators are on the scene now trying to talk the woman down..."

Any way you cut it, I don't see this working out for the best.  If what you have been suspecting is true, I think there will be a very ugly turn in the storyline.  Sigh!

Hopefully Corinne will take Eva's advice and be a friend to Gideon rather than indulging in her delusions of a life with Gideon. Afterall she is no longer in the dark and she knows that Gideon is in love with Eva so if she gets hurt it is her own fault. That being said I do think Gideon will back off from Corinne and then perhaps Ireland will be more in the picture as Gideon's companion/cover to see Eva.