Reflected in You **spoiler thread**

Sylvia Day

We'll agree to disagree most respectfully Mrs. M. Along with GiGi, you're one of my favorite frequent-flier commenters.

I'm a former newspaper reporter who for many years specialized in the cops and court beat. It was a daily newspaper, and so every murder I covered was soup to nuts including sitting through the entire trials for cases that actually went to trial.

And so I saw prosecutors sometimes make the mistake of bringing to trial cases they ought not to have tried.  The most common mistake was because no matter how big the pile of evidence, it all was circumstantial. The prosecution was convinced they could meet the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. The defense, knowing the case was circumstantial, decided to roll the dice rather than take a deal.

The rock solid cases all got plea bargained. On average, I saw about 90% of cases settle by being plead out. Usually by offering a murder one case a murder two deal, so that the defendant might get parole some day. In one instance, offering murder one in place of capital murder (cop killing) so the defendant would avoid the death penalty.

In all those years of court, I saw only two defendants who actually were innocent of causing the death of another person (negligent homicide in both) go to trial. Both times, the prosecution lost. Every other defendant I saw go to trial was I saw was in fact guilty, and both sides decided to roll the dice with a jury. More often than not, the prosecution would win. But sometimes they really blew it.

Hands down the biggest reason a prosecutor refused to drop a case was because it was a high profile case. Once the reporters got involved, the prosecution stuck to its guns.

I can agree with that. Not saying it never happens, some DA are pushed screaming into trying cases on circumstantial evidence by families, the mayor, the governor and even the press. 90% sounds really high to me but I don't know where you live so I can't say for sure. The plea deals I've tried and seen where based on capital murder where the defended pleaded guilty in order to avoid the death penalty. But, none of them ever had the hope of getting out. It was still a sentence of life without the possibility of parole.

Anywhoo, we said we'd move on. First I really enjoy you and GiGi's comments - I like the fire in you gals! Secondly, since we're both team Gideon did it, what do you think about Angus' words "He knows when to stop?" Think it adds to the theory of how Gideon was able to stab Nathan just once and leave?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What has always struck me as odd ( the audio books does enable you to pick up on things you might hav missed as well) is at her office, Eva has photos of everyone dear to her with the exception of her Dad. She has a photo of her and Cary, her mom and step father and then her and Gideon of course but from the onset, she never have any of her dad.

I remember that being a bit odd when I read that portion and listening to the audio books, it definitely stood out as well

I think she does have a picture of him, in his cruiser .

I think that Gideon def could have stabbed Nathan one time, taking care of buisness. He knew he'd only have the one shot, and couldn't screw it up. He's def controlled enough to do it.

There's no way the case was dropped so quickly. So, could Graves get in trouble for lying to Eva? Maybe nothing she or Eva said that could be used against her b/c she mentioned her lawyer?

Ahh!! So excited for this Snippet!

IT's a Vidal party, so Eva wouldn't have just been invited. Maybe Brett invited her? Or Christopher? Being as 'friendly' as he is. And, how funny that Gideon is there, when mabye he usually doesn't attend Vidal parties....Glad to see Ireland! Maybe she'lls serve as a buffer? making sure Gideon stays in line? Lol....Does Cary know what's going on w/ them!?! Ahhh June 4th!!!

So many questions! Sylvia hasn't responed in a while...lol.

I can agree with that. Not saying it never happens, some DA are pushed screaming into trying cases on circumstantial evidence by families, the mayor, the governor and even the press. 90% sounds really high to me but I don't know where you live so I can't say for sure. The plea deals I've tried and seen where based on capital murder where the defended pleaded guilty in order to avoid the death penalty. But, none of them ever had the hope of getting out. It was still a sentence of life without the possibility of parole.

Anywhoo, we said we'd move on. First I really enjoy you and GiGi's comments - I like the fire in you gals! Secondly, since we're both team Gideon did it, what do you think about Angus' words "He knows when to stop?" Think it adds to the theory of how Gideon was able to stab Nathan just once and leave?

Gideon can turn stone cold and shut himself right down, in business situations, in personal situations -- he'd even done it with Eva. I think Angus more than anyone has witnessed Gideon shut himself down physically in situations of anger. Angus is the only person around who has seen Gideon lose his temper from childhood to present-day. And though Angus is a bodyguard, he's well aware Gideon is highly trained in mixed martial arts, and therefore has control over the hands and feet that are in fact weapons.

P.S. Mrs. M -- back on page 40 this morning, I did one of my detailed analysis of facts about why I think Brett was a huge exception to how Gideon fights, not the rule.

Bottom line: Gideon could hit Nathan once or stab Nathan once because Gideon was staying stone-cold. Eva didn't want the guy -- quite the opposite, the sicko absolutely repulsed her. Gideon red-handed caught a naked, leering, drugged out guy inches from touching Eva in her living room. Eva most certainly didn't want the guy. Gideon landed just one punch.

Eva very obviously sexually desired Brett, and Gideon caught her red handed engaging in the first step toward sex, passionate kissing. That's why Gideon went nuts -- and he kept going nuts because Brett fought back. Symbolically, Brett was literally fighting Gideon over Eva herself for who got to have control of Eva's body and heart.

Inside that concert, Gideon put his hand up Eva's skirt. Brett sang her a love song for all the world to hear. Gideon on some level must have feared "Brett won."

I don't think Brett letting Eva go easily. He fought for her. Even after the brawl he went said on his interview that he just reconnected with her.from snippet 10 it shows he thinks he's got q chance. with good reason because Eva and Gideon are still publicly "broken up". So Brett will be a problem for Eva and Gideon.

I don't think Brett letting Eva go easily. He fought for her. Even after the brawl he went said on his interview that he just reconnected with her.from snippet 10 it shows he thinks he's got q chance. with good reason because Eva and Gideon are still publicly "broken up". So Brett will be a problem for Eva and Gideon.

Brett could actually end up being the solution to Gideon and Eva's biggest problem of all -- the cops.

If word gets out Eva kissed Brett (and the tabloids blow that into lies Eva cheated on Gideon) then it makes much stronger the lie Gideon rejected Eva. Why would Gideon kill some guy over a woman who cheated on him?

Right now, the lie is Corrine fought hard to win him back, so he picked his former fiancee over his new girlfriend. It'd look even more convincing that Gideon broke up with Eva for cheating on him and then ran back to Corrine. The cops would have to drop any attempt to try to argue what actually is the truth -- Gideon "conveniently dumped" Eva as part of premeditation. 

Maybe that's what will finally make the cops back off. 

I hope now that Nathan is dead and the cops investigation is winding down, Gideon doesn't feel he has to have Corinne as his date or companion for social events  all the time.  Why can't he play the field, now, by taking other women like Maggie or Ireland as his date.  He knows that Eva hates Corrine to extreme and reacts to her negatively.  Why won't Gideon, now, ease up on some of Eva's pain.

Maybe with people thinking the real reason Gideon and Eva broke up was Brett, not Corrine, then Gideon won't have to "see" Corrine anymore just for the benefit of the cops. He could either tell the truth (he went to Corrine as a friend) or he could now "dump" Corrine as things not having worked out.

From a cop point of the view, the "dump" is a more convincing argument. Because if he saw Corrine as just a "friend", someone could argue he was still sitting around in love with Eva. But if he ran to Corrine as "rebound girlfriend" and started "dating" people could say he really had made up his mind he didn't want Eva anymore -- made up his mind while Nathan was still very much alive.

Would this be mean to Corrine, who has been deluding herself into thinking she actually IS Gideon's girlfriend, even if Gideon wouldn't admit it to himself? Yes. But Corrine has only herself to blame. 1. She relentlessly chased Gideon, not the other way around. 2. She tried leading Eva to believe Gideon was sleeping with her, something that caused a lot of trouble between Eva and Gideon -- so it's poetic justice Gideon allowed Corrine to believe they going somewhere.

Here is an important caveat. Whenever Gideon and Eva are within close proximity to each other, they just ooze love. Like you can see the love, desire connection oozing from them as they are that connected.

That isn't something you can fake and pretend and it's different from having chemistry with someone else re: Brett.

Both always sense when the other is around (multiple times Eva will get that tingle feeling and realize Gideon is approaching etc)

They cannot publicly hide their deep connection

Here is an important caveat. Whenever Gideon and Eva are within close proximity to each other, they just ooze love. Like you can see the love, desire connection oozing from them as they are that connected.

That isn't something you can fake and pretend and it's different from having chemistry with someone else re: Brett.

Both always sense when the other is around (multiple times Eva will get that tingle feeling and realize Gideon is approaching etc)

They cannot publicly hide their deep connection

With a supreme show of will, Gideon can act like he doesn't care Eva's even in the room. He did it in front of a bunch of people, including her boss, in the middle of an important business meeting. (This was the Thursday that Nathan died, and the business meeting was in the afternoon.)

I agree that Brett could help strengthen Gideon's alibi for the cops. I just don't want the whole book to be about the murder investigation and other people trying to sabotage their relationship. I am hoping the story will move forward with the progression of their relationship. It has already been established that they both have people in their pasts who want them back. But this is about their love story and i am eager for their relationship to blossom. I know that sounded a bit cheesy. LOL. Waiting for this book is driving me crazy.

I agree that Brett could help strengthen Gideon's alibi for the cops. I just don't want the whole book to be about the murder investigation and other people trying to sabotage their relationship. I am hoping the story will move forward with the progression of their relationship. It has already been established that they both have people in their pasts who want them back. But this is about their love story and i am eager for their relationship to blossom. I know that sounded a bit cheesy. LOL. Waiting for this book is driving me crazy.

I totally agree jls but this Brett thing is what will finally get the cops to drop the case so I think it will be short and sweet and by the end of the book hopefully Eva and Gideon will be able to publicly be a couple and be happy .

Love the new Snippet, but I'm a little confused on one part... "You seem solid." "Ah, now that would be an illusion."

Cary probably knows Eva is sleeping with Gideon again. Gideon sneaked into Eva's room as Entwined opened. It appears he spent the whole night, judging by in Chapter Two he woke up in her bed. Cary's still home recovering from the Nathan beating.

Cary might not know the whole truth yet either about Nathan. As much for his own sake as their's, it'd be smart to keep Cary in the dark. Less of a chance the cops could try to question him if they even suspected he might know something. Gideon had kept Eva in the dark herself for the very same reason.

So a possible scenario where Cary might come to some serious wrong conclusions: just like the last time (the Wednesday night before Nathan died) Gideon let himself into Eva's room, f****** her all night, then rejected her yet again. Poor Eva's getting jerked around by a guy Cary's always had mixed feelings about to begin with, from the first date at the advocacy dinner that went badly (over Gideon's head trip) to the most recent few weeks of Eva walking around with her broken into a million pieces.

This snippet definitely seems like it comes from an interesting scene. It's Gideon's turn to trust Eva. I agree, i think on some level Cary knows that Gideon and Eva are back together. He has made comments in the past about hearing certain noises from her bedroom;) So imagine how hot the make s@# was. I'm sure if Cary was home he is clued in. LOL

And please, I know some people get upset  if I even suggest Cary wants Eva to get rid of Gideon for good. That's not the case -- Cary is not Corrine, for heaven's sake. 

But Cary himself saw Gideon almost rape Eva during one of his (Gideon's) violent nightmares. Cary knows Eva's demons better than anyone else, Gideon included, because Cary sat through years of group therapy alongside Eva and so has heard every last awful detail. Cary would have seen with his own eyes too Eva when she was still seriously effed up before Dr. Travis worked wonders on Eva (and Cary too.)

I think Cary does see Eva growing stronger in some ways as a result of her rocky relationship with Gideon. But Cary's probably just as much, if not more, worried about how hard things have been for Eva as well. And Cary might be placing too much blame on Gideon, when in fact Eva's issues and how she mishandled them was just as much to blame for the relationship being rocky. Maybe even more.

So while Cary wishes for a Happily Ever After for Eva, he's probably harboring some doubts whether Gideon is the guy Eva should be with. I get the distinct feeling that Cary has been trying to nudge Eva in Brett's direction for a while now, presenting Brett as a viable alternative to Gideon. This latest snippet makes me feel even stronger that for right now, Cary is on Team Brett. Not forever -- but for right now.