Reflected in You **spoiler thread**

Sylvia Day

Yes LN I agree but why would Elizabeth have been ok with Vidal slighting her son?

I think Elizabeth entered the marriage out of desperation, because she would have been literally left homeless and penniless in the immediate aftermath of of the Ponzi scheme being uncovered and Geoffrey killing himself. Then she almost immediately got pregnant, and the new baby became Vidal's heir and namesake. We've already figured out Elizabeth is not exactly a candidate for mother of the year. In a form of neglect, Gideon was shunted off to one side as most of her energy shifted toward pleasing her new husband and caring for the newborn.

Even under the best of circumstances, a newborn needs so much mother's attention that for a while, some of that attention given to a newborn is at the expense of the father and older children. Good fathers accept this as temporary. Poor fathers resent it. It's the basis of sibling rivalry, and even good kids feel a strain, especially in the case of a second born shifting attention away from a first born who started out life as the only child. For a troubled kid (and what happened to Gideon left him troubled) matters get only worse. Even he admitted to Eva he got worse after his half brother came along.

Rather than getting supported, Gideon got alienated. And as he pulled away, I can see his stepfather pulling further away and resenting Gideon as some brat Vidal got stuck with at the price of getting Elizabeth as a trophy wife.

Elizabeth isn't totally without feelings, but she's not been a good mother to Gideon. In the end, I think she put him last, behind her new husband and her two new children.

I can see Gideon all too willing by his late teens -- because he did move out of the house as soon as he could -- wanting to sever financial ties too, and Vidal Sr. being all too willing to let that happen, essentially telling Gideon in so many words: you're an adult, go find your own way in the world. Christopher Jr. and Ireland were Vidal's heirs, not Gideon.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LN Cronan

That's why I'm almost certain that Gideon had controlling interest in the record company, so at some point in the future, when Ireland is out of the house, he will pull the plug. He owes them nothing.

I'm still convinced Chris Vidal Snr was an investor in the Ponzi scheme though.

LN Cronan

That's why I'm almost certain that Gideon had controlling interest in the record company, so at some point in the future, when Ireland is out of the house, he will pull the plug. He owes them nothing.

Good point Julie this is very possible

LN Cronan

That's possible. Some people, who unwisely invested all their money with Geoffrey Cross would have been utterly ruined (this happened with some people in the real-life Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme). However, most of his investors wouldn't have had every cent with him, so they would have been burned but not made broke.

If Vidal Sr. took a bad financial hit around 20 years ago, it might explain why so many of his shares of Vidal Records ended up being out there for sale on the stock exchange. He'd have sold shares, chunks at a time, in return for cash to live on and then to invest elsewhere as he rebuilt an investment portfolio. Thus those shares were out there years later when bit by bit, investors who had held onto them opted to sell for various reasons -- and as shares went up for sale, Gideon bought them. I think he very patiently acquired shares out there in the marketplace until he owned more than anyone else, more than Vidal himself. This is the scenario I envision Gideon used in revenge.

LN Cronan

Thinking along those lines, did you ever wonder how Elizabeth ended up with Vidal? Wonder if maybe Vidal was a silent partner in the scheme and they were already secretly together.....

MichelleWV, I agree with you ..I think Elizabeth may haye been involded with him already .. That marrage came to quick.. Maybe thatsf why Gideon is distant with his mother he new what she was doing and maybe even blames her for his fathers suicide..He did say they started yelling a lot at eachother at the end.. What if Gideon OS really Christopher SR's.. that's why he owns so much of Vidal shares ..Way to much time on our hands LOL!!

In a previous post about a week ago, I have a feeling the 2 of them were involved before the suicide (or definitely knew each other) .   They did get married soon after.  Also, Gideon did make that statement about Cary being his friend.   I wouldn't be surprised if Chris Sr turned govt evidence.   In a ponzi scheme though, the feds would be onto Gideon's father before hand.   He got very greedy and they are sick people.  He took the easy way out.  People hold it against the family, even when the family is not involved.   I can't wait till it unfolds about Gideon getting his share of Vidal and of course, the abuse.

Because of what Gideon said to his mom at the garden about Cary being Eva's friend, makes me think that maybe Christopher Sr. was his dad's friend and she had something going on with him. That could explain the quick marriage and all. They might have already been involved.

Ooohh....good thought! I wondered about that comment too...

Unlike the Bentley, where Angus could overhear, the back of the limo has privacy.

Angus' eyebrows must have gone up the night of the advocacy dinner when Gideon told him to keep driving around until he (Gideon) said otherwise. But I'll bet after the concert, Angus was probably worried about what was going on back there. There was a stop for gas and change of driver in the middle of the night, and I'll bet Gideon stepped out of the limo briefly to talk to Angus. By that point, Eva had fallen into an exhausted sleep, because the next thing she remembers was Gideon waking her up Saturday morning once they arrived at the North Carolina house.

Because of what Gideon said to his mom at the garden about Cary being Eva's friend, makes me think that maybe Christopher Sr. was his dad's friend and she had something going on with him. That could explain the quick marriage and all. They might have already been involved.

I have always wondered about that conversation. How Eva is his and since Cary is Eva's friend that makes him Gideons too. I'm sure there is more to it than we know.

I have always wondered about that conversation. How Eva is his and since Cary is Eva's friend that makes him Gideons too. I'm sure there is more to it than we know.

Gideon did imply something about Elizabeth liking Carey. Which makes me ask why? Then he did kind of warned her off him. Why? Does she have a thing for young hot guys?

Yes in reading Bared to You numerous times LOL I have always wondered about that comment . At first I thought it was a loyalty issue but now I'm not so sure... If in fact Elizabeth was having an affair with Vidal while still married to Cross the only way Gideon would have known this info was through Angus because as a five year old he would have been too young to realize what if anything was going on what do you all think?

How often did Gideon use the "limo" before Eva?

Never. Before Eva, he'd had sex in one place and one place only - a particular hotel he started using in college, when he started sleeping with Corrine. That's the only place he'd have sex, and he'd never stay the whole night with her. It's why she dumped him after three years.

Sometime in the ensuing years, as he started amassing a fortune in real estate, he bought the hotel, and he kept a room set up there for sex, his f*** pad. He brought only casual sex partners there -- i.e. he either dated women socially (like Magdalene) and never slept with them -- or -- he slept with women but never saw them outside the hotel room.

I know that the limo was christened with Eva.   I was just throwing it out there because of what Angus was thinking.   How often did he actually use a limo to events outside the Bently.

D'oh. 

He might use the limo for nighttime business meetings too, I'm thinking, in addition to society fundraisers. But he has had Angus pick him and Eva up from work sometimes in the limo instead of his main workday car, the Bentley, so they can, um ..... I'll bet that makes Angus' eyebrows go up.

And speaking of Angus, turns out he's been working for Gideon for 8 years, I came across in Bared -- that's what Angus told Eva when she asked Angus how long he'd been working for Gideon. Gideon is 28 now, so that makes him only 20 years old when he managed to be making enough money to hire Angus away from Vidal Sr.

Interesting -- so Gideon hired Angus right around the time Gideon left college. And because Gideon was with Corrine for three years total (two dating, plus one engaged) he still would have been engaged to Corrine when he first hired Angus.