One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

West Coaster here! Any time is fine. I just wanted to say "THANK YOU!!!" for writing the Reader's Guide. I borrowed the books from the library, so I don't have them in front of me. I am on the waitlist, but I am number 12. Not sure when I am going to get to read them again. But, I am second in line for the audio book, so Woohoo!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, informal poll here --- what's the best time for me to post a daily "Reader's Guide" to the chapter we're reading each day.

Should I post the guide for each chapter the same day we're all reading it -- (i.e. today is Chapter Two, so I post the Chapter Two guide today)?

OR

Should I wait until the day after? Post Chapter Two tomorrow, after we hopefully have all finished reading and have already moved onto Chapter Three?

If you want an example of what I'm talking about, go to page three of this discussion thread. That's where I posted the Chapter One guide yesterday. I did it around this time of the day. Was it OK to post it then, even though some people might be still re-reading? or should I have waited until today to post yesterday's "cheat sheet" of sorts.

The day after....

Thanks so much for doing this, LN!   You are a gift!

I'm guessing that Eva and Cary moved into the apartment that weekend before she started the new job. Especially because if June 1 was a Tuesday, then Monday would have been May 31 -- Memorial Day. The final Monday in May is Memorial Day, one of the biggest national holidays in the United States. So Eva/Cary would have a long weekend to move, then Eva would start the job Tuesday.

Except Eva did a timed commute to work during a busy time on Monday to give her an estimate for her actual commute. And business as usual was taking place on Monday. (when she first encounters Gideon). Usually businesses (even private sector) are closed in major Federal holidays.

Except Eva did a timed commute to work during a busy time on Monday to give her an estimate for her actual commute. And business as usual was taking place on Monday. (when she first encounters Gideon). Usually businesses (even private sector) are closed in major Federal holidays.

Yes it was most definitely not Memorial Day...

OK, informal poll here --- what's the best time for me to post a daily "Reader's Guide" to the chapter we're reading each day.

Should I post the guide for each chapter the same day we're all reading it -- (i.e. today is Chapter Two, so I post the Chapter Two guide today)?

OR

Should I wait until the day after? Post Chapter Two tomorrow, after we hopefully have all finished reading and have already moved onto Chapter Three?

If you want an example of what I'm talking about, go to page three of this discussion thread. That's where I posted the Chapter One guide yesterday. I did it around this time of the day. Was it OK to post it then, even though some people might be still re-reading? or should I have waited until today to post yesterday's "cheat sheet" of sorts.

I vote for day after

I forgot about them!! My favourite lines in Bared - Chapter 1 are:

1)  I was starry-eyed and it showed (pg. 3);      

2) There is no such thing as a guy you can't flirt with (pg. 11);   

3) My breath caught. The sex god was the lone occupant (pg. 16).

GOODNIGHT LADIES!!!

I'm gonna lose my job..!! I keep stoping and listening to BTY on audible..!! My boss is gonna kill me..!! Lol

You ladies are addictive, I DIDN'T won't to do this again..!! **Shrug** I guess Gideon will do that to you..!!

Hi MrsCrossfire, 

You are too funny! :) 

Hi Gigi everyone was trying to pinpoint the date of why Eva started her job on a Tuesday saying perhaps that the Monday was Memorial Day and she started on June 1st that's all but I didn't think it was Memorial Day because most offices would be closed I know the stock exchange is ...

Hi everyone,

I have been sitting and reading everyone's postings and I would hope that everyone gets the chance (and maybe the courage) to contribute to the chapter a day reread.  In all of the past postings you ladies have come with such great theories all independently of one another.  I really hope that continues until the release of the next book. 

So many of you ladies have been courageous in coming up with various theories and incredibly astute in your observations while reading the books.  It has really enriched this entire forum!  I hope everyone keeps their independent voice and keeps postings their great observations during this process.  Thanks.

Hi Gigi everyone was trying to pinpoint the date of why Eva started her job on a Tuesday saying perhaps that the Monday was Memorial Day and she started on June 1st that's all but I didn't think it was Memorial Day because most offices would be closed I know the stock exchange is ...

Hi Sscrph,

Thanks for the explanation.  Oh boy, by the time his book is released we will all be able to recite this entire book chapter and verse.  

Hi ladies: As I'm re-reading these chapters, the one thing I'm curious about is where did Eva live before she lived with her dad? Was that ever explained? I always assumed Eva grew up in New York and moved out to live near her father for college. I figured she didn't live anywhere near her father growing up, because she states that her parents haven't seen each other for many years

Thanks for anyone's in-sight into this.

Hi ladies: As I'm re-reading these chapters, the one thing I'm curious about is where did Eva live before she lived with her dad? Was that ever explained? I always assumed Eva grew up in New York and moved out to live near her father for college. I figured she didn't live anywhere near her father growing up, because she states that her parents haven't seen each other for many years

Thanks for anyone's in-sight into this.

What I find sad, is that Eva doesn't seem to have had much contact with Victor in her early years. We re told that she went to SDSU and lived near here dad, and she saw him regularly. Her bad behaviour and issues prompted him to take her to see Dr. Travis.

We're are not told exactly what part of America she lived with her mother and the many husbands apart from Stanton in New York ( as far as I can remember)

Hi everyone,

I have been sitting and reading everyone's postings and I would hope that everyone gets the chance (and maybe the courage) to contribute to the chapter a day reread.  In all of the past postings you ladies have come with such great theories all independently of one another.  I really hope that continues until the release of the next book. 

So many of you ladies have been courageous in coming up with various theories and incredibly astute in your observations while reading the books.  It has really enriched this entire forum!  I hope everyone keeps their independent voice and keeps postings their great observations during this process.  Thanks.

Morning Gigi

Got to wait till the weekend till I burn the midnight oil with you !!

Someone reminded me that this is a romantic story, and yes it is. But given the type of baggage that accompanies our pair of love birds, it has become something more. It has always had dark undertones regarding their abuse, now we have murder thrown into the mix. This as become the dark side of love! As they say, the path of true love never runs smoothly. Definately applies to our pair!

What I find sad, is that Eva doesn't seem to have had much contact with Victor in her early years. We re told that she went to SDSU and lived near here dad, and she saw him regularly. Her bad behaviour and issues prompted him to take her to see Dr. Travis.

On page 4 in BTU:

" My mother refused to marry him (Victor), but he'd never wavered from his determination to be my dad in every way possible."

I wonder what "every way possible" means?

Ript:

I felt that Eva grew up in California and when Monica married Stanton, Monica moved to NYC?? I felt that Monica married Stanton around the time Eva was going to college? I 'm trying to find out in BTY why I felt that---LOL

On page 4 in BTU:

" My mother refused to marry him (Victor), but he'd never wavered from his determination to be my dad in every way possible."

I wonder what "every way possible" means?

Ript:

I felt that Eva grew up in California and when Monica married Stanton, Monica moved to NYC?? I felt that Monica married Stanton around the time Eva was going to college? I 'm trying to find out in BTY why I felt that---LOL

I've been wondering about what that means, too,  Maybe Victor somehow found out what Eva has been through while living under the same roof with lousy Nathan and is only willing to make things right for his beloved daughter. His unexpected trip to NY would make more sense, doesn't it.

I've been wondering about what that means, too,  Maybe Victor somehow found out what Eva has been through while living under the same roof with lousy Nathan and is only willing to make things right for his beloved daughter. His unexpected trip to NY would make more sense, doesn't it.

Oh I don't think his trip to New York is so unexpected after living near her for the past 4 years he simply missed his daughter and worried about her too living in a city such as New York especially since he is a cop so I totally see why he would want to visit his only child...

Yes I love the descriptions of all Eva's outfits!!

HI!!

Through our rereading schedule I've come to really enjoy such details as characters clothing. I think Eva's outfits are quite revealing of what's going on inside her body and mind; they give her away, despite all her rational statements about not being interested in Mr Cross....  garters and silks stockings at work, is there anyone who would buy it? So this is what I've come up with in Chapters 1, 2 and 3. Should I have left anything out, please feel free to add anything you like. CIAO!

EVA                                                                                                      GEDEON

MONDAY                 YOGA PANTS AND FITTED WORKOUT TANK.         first encounter             BLACK OXFORDS, BLACK TAILORES SLACKS

3 PIECE SUIT

TUESDAY                SHEATH DRESS, BLACK STILETTO PUMPS,          second encounter           SILVER TIE, WHITE SHIRT

PEARLS STUDS, ROLEX WATCH, ARTFUL

CHIGNON RESEMBLING AN 8

WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY             BLACK PENCIL SKIRT, CRIMSON SILK BLOUSE        third encounter                      

FRIDAY                   BLACK SILK BLOUSE, EMERALD GREEN SKIRT,        fourth  encounter         BLACK SUIT, GREY PINSTRIPE

GARTERS AND SILK STOCKINGS

Chapter Two of Bared -- The Reader's Guide

This chapter opens on day two of the story, just after 5 p.m. Tuesday in the Crossfire and goes through day four, Thursday evening,  in Eva's apartment.

Key plot developments:

• For the first time, Gideon tells Eva he wants to f*** her, a proposition she finds as equally offensive as arousing (page 28).
  • Eva finally learns Gideon's full identity (page 30, Cary looked Gideon up online.) 
  • We get our first inkling Eva has been in therapy (page 30).

New characters:

• Steve, the longtime lover of Eva's boss, Mark.
  • Dr. Travis (in passing mention) a therapist who treated Eva.

Tuesday evening in the Crossfire:

• Gideon greets Eva by name as she boards the elevator. She still doesn't even know who he is, not even his name. But she's now figured out he works in the building.
  • When they reach the lobby, Gideon makes his first proprietary (and sexual) move by putting his hand at the small of her back and steering her toward the exit turnstiles.
  • Cary foils whatever Gideon had in mind next. Cary is waiting in the lobby to meet her so he and Eva can go out for drinks. Wordlessly, Gideon walks out of the building.  
  • This is Cary's first look at Gideon (and vice versa). Cary figures out Gideon was the guy Eva had briefly met in the lobby Monday evening.

Wednesday at work:

• Her boss Mark is thrilled he's suddenly and very unexpectedly gotten a chance to bid on a project to create advertising for Kingsman Vodka, which Cross Industries owns. Cross Industries had mentioned Mark by name, unusual because he's only a junior account executive.
  • Mark has Eva help him scramble with the preliminary work, because he's due to present it the next day. (A Request For Proposal, RFP for short, which in public relations is how a client and an agency negotiate the scope and cost of a project.)
  • We meet Steve, Mark's lover since college (so they've been together somewhere between 7-10 years, because Mark is 28.)  Steve is a some sort of contractor, most likely in the building trades. Steve brings take-out for dinner to Mark and Eva, because they're working late.

Thursday at work

• Mark invites Eva to accompany him to the first meeting on the Kingsman project. To Eva's surprise, the meeting is on the top floor of the Crossfire -- and it's with Gideon (she still didn't have a clue yet who he is, but she finally learns his last name.)
  • She practically falls over, almost literally, by tripping when she enters the conference room, and Gideon catches her. The situation flusters her and amuses him.
  • In the meeting, Gideon puts Eva on the spot by asking her which of Mark's advertising campaign concepts she prefers. Gideon assigns Mark to further develop the one she chooses. 
  • As Mark and Eva go to leave, Gideon asks Eva to stay behind for a moment. 
  • Once Mark leaves, Gideon makes his big move. He asks if she's sleeping with anyone, because he wants to know if there's anyone in the way of him f***** her. On the surface, she's appalled by his crudeness, and underneath, she's aroused by it.
  • She tells him she's not interested. 
  • Downstairs at Waters Field & Lehman, all three of the agency owners congratulate Mark for landing the firm new business with Cross Industries.

Thursday evening at home with Cary

• Now that Cary has a last name to work with, Cross, he looks up Gideon online -- and this is how Eva finally learns Gideon's full identity.
  • Cary sees it's obvious why Cross Industries picked her boss for the Kingsman project. 
  • They discuss whether she ought to get involved with Gideon. Cary thinks she should go for it, but when they discuss her reluctance, he supports her decision to put Gideon off. Cary's amused at the thought of a sexually frustrated Gideon.
  • During this Cary-Eva conversation, we learn she's been told by a shrink she should take calculated risks. We learn Dr. Travis's name, but nothing else yet. 
  • The chapter ends with Eva deciding to take go to Brooklyn to check out the Krav Maga studio.

So I'm back after a few days of working hard and catching up with you all;;;I planned on catching up with the one chapter a day crowd but unfortunately couldn't stop myself last night and made it to chapter 8,,,

getting back to the snapshot from Tuesday, I thought it was interesting that it wasn't a new york licence plate on the Aston Martin, even though it was fuzzed out, looked like a British plate to go along with the British car,,,maybe they went to London on his business? That would be fun, anyway new shapshot today

and I was wondering if we thought that the June 4th release on ebooks would be at midnight, so we could download it then,,,

I am planning to go to Paramus that Tuesday night and want to have started it before getting there, but I have a full day of office hours that day so it could get ugly if I run too late...lol...

Oh I don't think his trip to New York is so unexpected after living near her for the past 4 years he simply missed his daughter and worried about her too living in a city such as New York especially since he is a cop so I totally see why he would want to visit his only child...

straight, but we are not privy to any former arrangement between them... it's the fact that he comes out of the blue and he's staying for such a short time that had me thinking about Victor's true motives for a trip to NY, all the more with all the troubles of avoiding his former wife his staying at Eva's is bound to cause.

Thanks, peeps, who answered the question I threw out about when I should post the "Reader's Guide" to each daily chapter we're reading. The system I've settled on is the day after each chapter -- we were all scheduled to read Chapter Two of Bared yesterday, so I posted the summary of it this morning. I'm in the U.S. Eastern Time zone, so during workdays, it should go up around this time. Weekends will be a bit trickier.

Don't forget your reading "homework" -- Sylvia is interested in hearing from fans which line or paragraph is our owns favorites in each chapter.

Today we're on Chapter Three of Bared. There's two key plot developments there, both during the middle of the day on Friday, day five of the story.

• For the first time, Gideon and Eva engage in serious sexual contact, fully-clothed petting, in his office.
  • Eva has lunch with her stepfather, Richard Stanton, and their conversation gives us numerous clues that Eva's mother, Monica, is obsessed with Eva's safety, obsessed to a level unhealthy enough she (Monica) is in therapy over it. We learn it has something to do with Eva's childhood -- but that's all we know yet.