One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read chapter 16. Going off to work very sad now. Poor Eva, poor Gideon. So so sad.

You can really feel their hurt and pain in their voices.

Homework to follow later.

I find that chapter hard to read, I just end up crying rather than reading :(

Chapter 15 of Reflected in You - The Readers Guide

This chapter starts Thursday morning (day 31) and continues through Friday evening (day 32 and the fifth day of their estrangement.)

Key plot developments

This is one of the pivotal chapters thus far in the Crossfire series.

• Eva finally found out Nathan had been in New York. She found out that Gideon somehow already knew this. THEN ... she finds out Nathan was found dead.
  • The shocking news came Friday evening when a pair of NYPD detectives showed up at her apartment to question her. In progress was the family dinner she'd planned so that her father, in town for the weekend, could meet Gideon, who came to dinner anyway even though he'd cut Eva off.
  • Thursday, Gideon had deliberately hurt Eva yet again - this time to her face by all-but-ignoring her in a business meeting. The ne blew off couples therapy, despite saying he'd show.

New characters

Detective Shelley Graves

Detective Richard Mincha

Raul (Gideon's second driver, not yet named - minor)

The homicide detectives show up

The detectives arrived at Eva's place looking for her - and as a two-fer, unexpectedly finding Gideon there, said they wanted to talk with him too. Victor told the detectives he himself also was a cop.

In order, how the questioning went, with Graves and Mincha taking turns firing off questions:

1. Eva was asked if she was familiar Nathan Barker.
  2. She was too stunned to answer, and as she got dizzy, Cary grabbed hold of her and answered the question himself - saying Nathan is Eva's former stepbrother.
  3. Then she was asked when had been the last time she'd seen Nathan
  4. She answered "eight years ago" and added mentally to herself "in a courtroom".
  5. She was asked whether she knew Nathan "was here in New York."
  6. Violently, she shook her head no.
  7. That's when her father (who knew nothing about Nathan) stepped in, wanting to know where the  detectives' questioning was going.
  8. Switching gears, the detectives turned to Gideon, asking him whether he knew Nathan.
  9. "You wouldn't be asking that question if you didn't already know the answer," Gideon replied (page 270)
  10. Gideon's answer further stunned the silent Eva, but yet again her father asked the detectives to explain the point behind their questions.
  11. Ignoring Victor's request, the police asked Eva to " ... tell us where you were yesterday ..."
  12. As a cop, Victor recognized the questioning was headed toward alibi territory. That's when he put his foot down, ordered Eva to not answer, and told the detectives the interview wasn't going any further until they told Eva (and him) what was going on.
  13. "Nathan Barker was found dead this morning," was the answer -- the cliffhanger ending to the chapter. (page 270)

Before: Friday

On schedule, Victor arrived for his visit to New York via red-eye flight from California. Eva picked him up at La Guardia -- by cab, flatly refusing to get into the Bentley waiting outside her apartment building. Instead of Angus, the Bentley was driven by an employee Eva had never seen before. But furious at Gideon, Eva gave the guy a snarky message to convey to his boss.

As planned, the family dinner did happen Friday night. Eva expected Gideon to not show, because he'd blown off couples therapy without explanation the night before. But he came, and as promised, brought his sister, Ireland, along.

To Eva, Gideon alternated between iceman and struggling with small gestures of affection. However, Ireland revealed (while Gideon was off taking a cell phone call) that he'd been very nervous beforehand and had gotten teary-eyed watching Eva dance with her Dad, not yet aware Gideon was watching. And Gideon was wearing his promise ring.

But he'd been treating Eva badly for days now, and she'd had enough. The night before with Dr. Petersen, Eva had started to discuss the possibility of a break-up. Friday, she decided she wanted to cut him off.

"I didn't want to say we were done and over, but it was certain now that we needed a break from each other. Gideon needed to figure out what he was doing, what he was looking for, and whether I had any meaningful place in his life. Because this roller-coaster ride we were on was going to break me, and I couldn't let that happen. I wouldn't." (page 268)

Before: Thursday

He'd made love to her for hours before dawn, but despite her plea for him to stay with her, he slipped away while she slept. Thursday turned out to be another really bad day in their seriously deteriorating relationship. Whereas Tuesday had been angry, Thursday was ice cold.

Weeks before, Gideon had awarded the Kingsman Vodka advertising campaign to the agency Eva works for, with her immediate boss, Mark, being given the project per Gideon's request.

On Thursday, there was a meeting to go over the project: Gideon plus two of his Cross Industries directors, one of the owners of Eva's agency, Mark -- and Eva herself. Aside from greeting her (without even looking at her) as Miss Trammell, he ignored her.

Later that afternoon, she called his office, expecting her call to be rejected but surprised he took her call. She wanted to know whether he still planned to come to her apartment Friday and bring his sister. He confirmed he was.

"I have a late meeting tonight, so I'll have to meet you at Dr. Petersen's. Angus will drive you over. I'll grab a cab," he told her (page 256).

Unbeknownst to her colleagues, who were working strictly on the advertising concept for Kingsman, Gideon had his PR staff plan a publicity mixer for Kingsman that night.

He had no intention of going to Dr. Petersen's - he was quitting couples therapy and had already stopped individual therapy (a no-show for his Tuesday appointment.)

All along Thursday, he'd planned to take Corrine out again, this time to the PR party, and once again, staging things so that they'd be publicly photographed looking like a couple. 

And somewhere along the way Thursday, follow through on his plan to kill Nathan in order to save Eva's life.

Re-Read a Chapter a Day -- Today is Chapter 16 of Reflected in You

This chapter starts Friday evening (day 32)  and ends Saturday morning (day 33, sixth day of their estrangement, day one of the break-up).

Key plot developments

Eva got two devastating blows Saturday morning -- and Gideon himself faced emotional devastation too.

1. Her mother told her Nathan had possessed photos/video of Eva as his rape victim years ago, and had been using them to try to extort money from her and Stanton. Eva guessed, correctly, Gideon had seen those photos too.
  2. Victor showed her an online news photo and story proving Gideon had taken Corrine out again, this time to a work party -- at the hotel he'd always had sex with Corrine during the years they had first been together.

The picture convinced Eva that Gideon was a cheater and too much of a coward to end things -- and Eva told him so over the phone as she ended the relationship herself.

Favorite quote or paragraph needed from each of us, for Sylvia, after we've re-read the chapter. If "favorite" is the right word, because we're in the very darkest part of the story now.

Sylvia said back a while ago the reason Gideon went through with dinner at Eva's was he feared she'd never forgive him if he cancelled.

But I wonder whether the only reason he stuck to the plan was that she called him on Thursday afternoon to check whether he still was coming. Had she not specifically asked, I think he might have backed out without explanation, just like he'd blown off going to the hospital Monday and Tuesday, just like he'd never made any plans to see her Wednesday (him showing up in the middle of the night was in direct response to her email, not pre-planned) and he definitely wasn't going to be with her Thursday.

Only twice that week did he call her, period, both times furious (and underneath panicked) she'd gone somewhere without bodyguard (Angus) protection:

1. Tuesday morning: she'd left the hospital on her own to go to work
  2. Wednesday lunchtime: she'd gone to lunch with Mark and Stephen.

Monday night: she called him, and he barely said hello-goodbye -- and he said nothing about the fact he had no intention of coming to the hospital. It turned out he was in the middle of his "dinner date" with Corrine.

Tuesday night: despite their huge fight over their exes, she called him too, at home. Again, he rushed her off the phone, but not before she figured out he wasn't alone.

Wednesday night: instead of calling, she sent him an anguished email.

Thursday night: he didn't show at Dr. Petersen's, and he didn't call to explain. She didn't bother calling him.

Friday: neither called the other, not in the morning and not during the workday.

Sylvia said back a while ago the reason Gideon went through with dinner at Eva's was he feared she'd never forgive him if he cancelled.

But I wonder whether the only reason he stuck to the plan was that she called him on Thursday afternoon to check whether he still was coming. Had she not specifically asked, I think he might have backed out without explanation, just like he'd blown off going to the hospital Monday and Tuesday, just like he'd never made any plans to see her Wednesday (him showing up in the middle of the night was in direct response to her email, not pre-planned) and he definitely wasn't going to be with her Thursday.

Only twice that week did he call her, period, both times furious (and underneath panicked) she'd gone somewhere without bodyguard (Angus) protection:

1. Tuesday morning: she'd left the hospital on her own to go to work
  2. Wednesday lunchtime: she'd gone to lunch with Mark and Stephen.

Monday night: she called him, and he barely said hello-goodbye -- and he said nothing about the fact he had no intention of coming to the hospital. It turned out he was in the middle of his "dinner date" with Corrine.

Tuesday night: despite their huge fight over their exes, she called him too, at home. Again, he rushed her off the phone, but not before she figured out he wasn't alone.

Wednesday night: instead of calling, she sent him an anguished email.

Thursday night: he didn't show at Dr. Petersen's, and he didn't call to explain. She didn't bother calling him.

Friday: neither called the other, not in the morning and not during the workday.

So many questions went through my head when I read this chapter like:-

Why is Gideon being a p r i c k (for better words) to Eva

Why is Eva putting up with this

Why is Gideon not explaining what is going on

Why is Gideon being so cold to Eva

Why did Gideon turn up to the meal, rubbing Eva's nose in it (so to speak) especially after the mercy f *** on Wednesday night,

the emotions that Eva must have been going through always got to me, I have no doubt Gideon was thinking he was doing the right thing to keep her safe and out of the cops line of fire but he went about it the wrong way

They both need to spend time with each other explaining how they feel about everything.

So many questions went through my head when I read this chapter like:-

Why is Gideon being a p r i c k (for better words) to Eva

Why is Eva putting up with this

Why is Gideon not explaining what is going on

Why is Gideon being so cold to Eva

Why did Gideon turn up to the meal, rubbing Eva's nose in it (so to speak) especially after the mercy f *** on Wednesday night,

the emotions that Eva must have been going through always got to me, I have no doubt Gideon was thinking he was doing the right thing to keep her safe and out of the cops line of fire but he went about it the wrong way

They both need to spend time with each other explaining how they feel about everything.

Wednesday had been a low point for Eva - willing to settle for scraps Gideon would throw her way, despite him spending his time with Corrine now instead of her.

Thursday was another roller-coaster ride: Gideon made love to her for hours before dawn but then was so cold in that business meeting he was downright cruel. By then, Eva ought to have told him to go f*** himself (or go f*** Corrine if he so choose, but no longer was he welcome in her own bed). But I think she made the right choice to want to go to couples therapy with him that night. When he didn't show, she took the time to talk things out with Dr. Petersen herself.

Friday was when we saw flashes of New Eva. Via one of his own employees (Raul) Eva told him f*** himself. She cheered herself up a little by entertaining passing fantasies of putting another employee (Angus) in a position of having to tell Gideon she was now going to spend time with Brett (not meaning to really do so -- just imaging.) She hoped he wasn't going to show for dinner, and when he did so anyway, she wasn't going to pretend with him anymore -- in her mind, she decided that night she was going to take a break from their relationship.

Saturday was when we saw broken Eva - now knowing Gideon had seen photos/video of her as a rape victim, and now herself having seen photographic proof (so she believed) he was sleeping with Corrine but lacked the common decency to break up with her.

Fast forward a week from Monday another low point, her willing to let Gideon use her sexually in the elevator.

Tuesday, the following day New Eva out in full force - facing down Corrine, attacking Dr. Lucas -- and telling Gideon his shutting her out was the deal-breaker. 

Chapter 15 of Reflected in You - The Readers Guide

This chapter starts Thursday morning (day 31) and continues through Friday evening (day 32 and the fifth day of their estrangement.)

Key plot developments

This is one of the pivotal chapters thus far in the Crossfire series.

• Eva finally found out Nathan had been in New York. She found out that Gideon somehow already knew this. THEN ... she finds out Nathan was found dead.
  • The shocking news came Friday evening when a pair of NYPD detectives showed up at her apartment to question her. In progress was the family dinner she'd planned so that her father, in town for the weekend, could meet Gideon, who came to dinner anyway even though he'd cut Eva off.
  • Thursday, Gideon had deliberately hurt Eva yet again - this time to her face by all-but-ignoring her in a business meeting. The ne blew off couples therapy, despite saying he'd show.

New characters

Detective Shelley Graves

Detective Richard Mincha

Raul (Gideon's second driver, not yet named - minor)

The homicide detectives show up

The detectives arrived at Eva's place looking for her - and as a two-fer, unexpectedly finding Gideon there, said they wanted to talk with him too. Victor told the detectives he himself also was a cop.

In order, how the questioning went, with Graves and Mincha taking turns firing off questions:

• Eva was asked if she was familiar Nathan Barker.
  • She was too stunned to answer, and as she got dizzy, Cary grabbed hold of her and answered the question himself - saying Nathan is Eva's former stepbrother.
  • Then she was asked when had been the last time she'd seen Nathan
  • She answered "eight years ago" and added mentally to herself "in a courtroom".
  • She was asked whether she knew Nathan "was here in New York."
  • Violently, she shook her head no.
  • That's when her father (who knew nothing about Nathan) stepped in, wanting to know where the  detectives' questioning was going.
  • Switching gears, the detectives turned to Gideon, asking him whether he knew Nathan.
  • "You wouldn't be asking that question if you didn't already know the answer," Gideon replied (page 270)
  • Gideon's answer further stunned the silent Eva, but yet again her father asked the detectives to explain the point behind their questions.
  • Ignoring Victor's request, the police asked Eva to " ... tell us where you were yesterday ..."
  • As a cop, Victor recognized the questioning was headed toward alibi territory. That's when he put his foot down, ordered Eva to not answer, and told the detectives the interview wasn't going any further until they told Eva (and him) what was going on.
  • "Nathan Barker was found dead this morning," was the answer -- the cliffhanger ending to the chapter. (page 270)

Before: Friday

On schedule, Victor arrived for his visit to New York via red-eye flight from California. Eva picked him up at La Guardia -- by cab, flatly refusing to get into the Bentley waiting outside her apartment building. Instead of Angus, the Bentley was driven by an employee Eva had never seen before. But furious at Gideon, Eva gave the guy a snarky message to convey to his boss.

As planned, the family dinner did happen Friday night. Eva expected Gideon to not show, because he'd blown off couples therapy without explanation the night before. But he came, and as promised, brought his sister, Ireland, along.

To Eva, Gideon alternated between iceman and struggling with small gestures of affection. However, Ireland revealed (while Gideon was off taking a cell phone call) that he'd been very nervous beforehand and had gotten teary-eyed watching Eva dance with her Dad, not yet aware Gideon was watching. And Gideon was wearing his promise ring.

But he'd been treating Eva badly for days now, and she'd had enough. The night before with Dr. Petersen, Eva had started to discuss the possibility of a break-up. Friday, she decided she wanted to cut him off.

"I didn't want to say we were done and over, but it was certain now that we needed a break from each other. Gideon needed to figure out what he was doing, what he was looking for, and whether I had any meaningful place in his life. Because this roller-coaster ride we were on was going to break me, and I couldn't let that happen. I wouldn't." (page 268)

Before: Thursday

He'd made love to her for hours before dawn, but despite her plea for him to stay with her, he slipped away while she slept. Thursday turned out to be another really bad day in their seriously deteriorating relationship. Whereas Tuesday had been angry, Thursday was ice cold.

Weeks before, Gideon had awarded the Kingsman Vodka advertising campaign to the agency Eva works for, with her immediate boss, Mark, being given the project per Gideon's request.

On Thursday, there was a meeting to go over the project: Gideon plus two of his Cross Industries directors, one of the owners of Eva's agency, Mark -- and Eva herself. Aside from greeting her (without even looking at her) as Miss Trammell, he ignored her.

Later that afternoon, she called his office, expecting her call to be rejected but surprised he took her call. She wanted to know whether he still planned to come to her apartment Friday and bring his sister. He confirmed he was.

"I have a late meeting tonight, so I'll have to meet you at Dr. Petersen's. Angus will drive you over. I'll grab a cab," he told her (page 256).

Unbeknownst to her colleagues, who were working strictly on the advertising concept for Kingsman, Gideon had his PR staff plan a publicity mixer for Kingsman that night.

He had no intention of going to Dr. Petersen's - he was quitting couples therapy and had already stopped individual therapy (a no-show for his Tuesday appointment.)

All along Thursday, he'd planned to take Corrine out again, this time to the PR party, and once again, staging things so that they'd be publicly photographed looking like a couple. 

And somewhere along the way Thursday, follow through on his plan to kill Nathan in order to save Eva's life.

Your summary has me near tears LN. Rough few chapters and still more to come.

Chapter 16 is the worst, I think.

Chapter 15 covers Thursday (Gideon mean) and Friday (Eva mad).

But Saturday, which is Chapter 16, is when Eva's heart is smashed to pieces and Gideon is helpless to stop her from pulling the ultimate runner. 

I'm sorry, but my homework won't be handed in today.

I really can't find a line or passage that I'm happy with today. This is such a sad, heartbreaking chapter, Ireland is the only one who brings a little hope to the dinner. I'm hoping Gideon continues to build on this relationship, I'm positive Eva will make sure he does.

I'm quite speechless today.

I did find Monica's reaction to Nathan's death rather strange.

Did she think just because he was dead, that the problem was over. Physiologically, for Eva, what happened to her will never go away surely. They are so many factors, to face. The abuse, triggers, the pregnancy and miscarriage, to name just a few. Therapy will help, but it can never be erased from her memory.

I'm sorry, but my homework won't be handed in today.

I really can't find a line or passage that I'm happy with today. This is such a sad, heartbreaking chapter, Ireland is the only one who brings a little hope to the dinner. I'm hoping Gideon continues to build on this relationship, I'm positive Eva will make sure he does.

I'm quite speechless today.

I am hoping that Eva and Ireland become closer and in doing so Gideon get's on a bit better with his sister as she no idolises her brother.

Hope weather better today for you Julie, we have lovely Sun up here in Edinburgh, and don't faint but it is actually warm, T-shirt warm, OMG why do I have to be stuck in the office :D

I am hoping that Eva and Ireland become closer and in doing so Gideon get's on a bit better with his sister as she no idolises her brother.

Hope weather better today for you Julie, we have lovely Sun up here in Edinburgh, and don't faint but it is actually warm, T-shirt warm, OMG why do I have to be stuck in the office :D

Hi Sheena

Not so good in Essex. Very grey and depressing bit like today's chapter.

On holiday next week. Going to savour my new book. :)

Send a bit of sunshine and warmth please my way. :D

Did she think just because he was dead, that the problem was over. Physiologically, for Eva, what happened to her will never go away surely. They are so many factors, to face. The abuse, triggers, the pregnancy and miscarriage, to name just a few. Therapy will help, but it can never be erased from her memory.

I have had a miscarriage it is not pleasant and I had to do a bit of time with the shrink after it but it takes ages to get over and it does still affect me to this day so it will take Eva a while to get over that. :)

Sheens xx

Hi Sheena

Not so good in Essex. Very grey and depressing bit like today's chapter.

On holiday next week. Going to savour my new book. :)

Send a bit of sunshine and warmth please my way. :D

Ok, wishing it down to you now......

Have you got it yet?????

If not I shall send it again ...... LOL :)

I have had a miscarriage it is not pleasant and I had to do a bit of time with the shrink after it but it takes ages to get over and it does still affect me to this day so it will take Eva a while to get over that. :)

Sheens xx

I'm so sorry to hear that. Big hugs to Scotland.

Good therapy and support helps.

We have to remember also, Eva was a child herself. The trauma she went through, no words could explain.

Sheens xx

Me too. It takes a long time. And i don't think the pain ever fully goes away.

Gideon probably will forever hold against his future mother-in-law the fact she blabbed to Eva about the existence of the photos Nathan had.  Thoughtless Monica all cranked up and thinking "me, me, me" spit out something that directly contributed to (along with the party photo) Eva's heart shattering into a million pieces. That part in the break-up telephone call where Eva was essentially cutting Gideon slack for not wanting sexually damaged goods like her -- that was Monica's fault.

Gideon probably will forever hold against his future mother-in-law the fact she blabbed to Eva about the existence of the photos Nathan had.  Thoughtless Monica all cranked up and thinking "me, me, me" spit out something that directly contributed to (along with the party photo) Eva's heart shattering into a million pieces. That part in the break-up telephone call where Eva was essentially cutting Gideon slack for not wanting sexually damaged goods like her -- that was Monica's fault.

I just didn't understand her(Monica ).

Eva didn't need to know about the photos. What she went through was enough, without adding more torment of knowing Gideon saw it too.

Shame Monica didn't engage her brain before she spoke.

Do you really have to wonder why I am president of the I Despise Monica Club...I'll say again she is completely self absorbed I just don't know how Stanton tolerates it!!

This is the hardest chapter to read.  I felt so bad for Eva and Gideon.  My heart breaks for Eva and I cry like a baby every time I read this part of there story.  Poor Gideon, I could feel his pain too.  As heartless as he appears at this point, he didn't want to hurt Eva.  I'm sure he wanted to hug her but he couldn't because of his flawed plan. 

LN - I think Monica had to tell Eva about the photos.  The police were going to tell her eventually anyway and I'm sure they would come up in a trial if there is one.

This is the hardest chapter to read.  I felt so bad for Eva and Gideon.  My heart breaks for Eva and I cry like a baby every time I read this part of there story.  Poor Gideon, I could feel his pain too.  As heartless as he appears at this point, he didn't want to hurt Eva.  I'm sure he wanted to hug her but he couldn't because of his flawed plan. 

LN - I think Monica had to tell Eva about the photos.  The police were going to tell her eventually anyway and I'm sure they would come up in a trial if there is one.

The photos might not have come out. If there wasn't any arrest and the investigation was still very active, the cops would be looking to get info from Eva not give it to her. What Graves did -- leaking secrets about the case -- was highly unusual. Until a case goes to court, nearly all the investigation files are secret.