One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

These moments in the limo scene are so telling..."My gaze never left his. I watched him as I teased us both, looking for any sign of the passionate lover I adored. He wasn't there. A furious stranger glared back at me, daring me,taunting me with his detachment. And later...his knuckles white from his grip on the seat back...I wondered if he was just holding on or physically restraining himself from reaching for me...

He is so angry at her but probably more so at himself. He handled the Corinne reappearance deplorably and both he and Eva are paying for it. He is punishing her but himself also.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a hard chapter to read but there was hurt on both sides.  Gideon isn't very confident with his relationship with Eva.  We watch over and over that even a little attention from another man makes him crazy and Eva knows that too.

Eva asked herself "why hadn't I pulled away sooner?  What had I kissed Brett back?"  so even before Eva & Gideon were in the limo alone she knew something was off with her actions.

"Looking back I had no idea what had come over me."

"Gideon's life was spiraling out of control because of me"   I believe she was thinking back to the perfect picture in her mind that Corrine and Gideon made; Eva believed the picture of her and Gideon was flawed and she wasn't worthy.

Then when Gideon gets in the limo Eva thinks to herself "I cringed away from the horrible bitterness in his tone...I knew just how he felt.  how badly the mental images could sting and claw until you felt like you were going made.  In my mind, he and Corinne had f***** dozens of times while I watched in sick, jealous fury."

Eva knew why she kissed Gideon but she didn't want to admit it out loud.  Gideon wanted her to talk it out but their communication skills were so bad that he used the only tool he knew to get her to open up...s#x. 

I must admit I cry for both of them through the whole chapter.  It is very said that two people who love each other so much can intentionally hurt each other because they both feel unworthy.

Totally agree.

While Eva was kissing Brett, she recognized inside that she was doing so " ..... because the attraction was still there and it soothed something hurting inside me to think I might've been more than a convenient piece of a**." (page 162)

I think what really was hurting inside her was the fear that her true status with Gideon was piece of a** -- that the only reason Gideon was still with her, now that Corrine had come back, was because the sex between her (Eva) and Gideon was doing it for him. Her only hold on Gideon was sexual -- but Corrine had some sort of much deeper hold on him and he couldn't break free of it.

The consequences of his mishandling the Corrine situation from day one was this awful triggering of Eva's deepest insecurities, her lowest self-esteem.

In hindsight, what he ought to have done when he saw Corrine at that fundraiser was leave with Eva instead of insisting on staying. All the bad that brought Eva to this terribly triggered place came from his mistaken belief he could control the situation by controlling both of the women involved. He vastly underestimated how much of a crisis to their relationship the Corrine situation was -- especially because he vastly underestimated Corrine's ruthlessness.

Most definitely.

These moments in the limo scene are so telling..."My gaze never left his. I watched him as I teased us both, looking for any sign of the passionate lover I adored. He wasn't there. A furious stranger glared back at me, daring me,taunting me with his detachment. And later...his knuckles white from his grip on the seat back...I wondered if he was just holding on or physically restraining himself from reaching for me...

He is so angry at her but probably more so at himself. He handled the Corinne reappearance deplorably and both he and Eva are paying for it. He is punishing her but himself also.

Totally agree.

They both have a lot to learn.

Eva also needed to know she was more than a quick f*ck with Brett. More than just another girl in the crowd, to be used for the night. That was why she later went on to make sure her relationships included friendship, she wasn't going to be used ever again. She learnt self respect. But she still has a self esteem issues which need addressing.

When Eva's insecurity and jealousy buttons trigger, her default setting is to get angry and act out. 

I wonder whether Gideon's default setting when seriously triggered is to get angry but shut down.

Because here, Gideon's worst fear of all -- that Eva was going to abandon him -- had just been triggered. Triggered every bit as much, if not more, than Eva triggered at the sight of Corrine looking just f******. Gideon actually caught Eva in the arms of an ex, an ex who had written her a love song for all the world to hear. Gideon fears that Eva can have any guy she wants, and his own self esteem is so low he doubts that he's worth having. Here was Eva with a man that other women screamed for, that other women wanted -- that she herself used to want and apparently still did.

When Eva's insecurity and jealousy buttons trigger, her default setting is to get angry and act out. 

I wonder whether Gideon's default setting when seriously triggered is to get angry but shut down.

Because here, Gideon's worst fear of all -- that Eva was going to abandon him -- had just been triggered. Triggered every bit as much, if not more, than Eva triggered at the sight of Corrine looking just f******. Gideon actually caught Eva in the arms of an ex, an ex who had written her a love song for all the world to hear. Gideon fears that Eva can have any guy she wants, and his own self esteem is so low he doubts that he's worth having. Here was Eva with a man that other women screamed for, that other women wanted -- that she herself used to want and apparently still did.

I think Gideon probably does get angry and shutdown. It's his way of self preserving. 

Until I joined this forum, I had never thought of Gideon as having triggers like Eva.

Seeing Eva in Brett's arms was his worst nightmare.

We see this confident, strong, passionate man, when really his shell is so fragile. Although Eva has she will marry him, he won't believe it till she says "I do". His insecurities are off the scale.

Until I joined this forum, I had never thought of Gideon as having triggers like Eva.

Seeing Eva in Brett's arms was his worst nightmare.

We see this confident, strong, passionate man, when really his shell is so fragile. Although Eva has she will marry him, he won't believe it till she says "I do". His insecurities are off the scale.

That's why as SD says henwantsmto put a ring on it so,the world will know she's his...

923049_279047118905677_1849016920_n.jpg

I needed a little pick me up this afternoon.

Ahhhhhh I have posted before I believe he is the perfect Gideon he has the cerulean eyes , the physique, the age , perfect teeth and he actually looks good with longer hair which I don't normally like on a guy. That being said if he doesn't do the role I hope we will not be disappointed with who gets the part...right now he's all we have till June 4th. :) :)

Ahhhhhh I have posted before I believe he is the perfect Gideon he has the cerulean eyes , the physique, the age , perfect teeth and he actually looks good with longer hair which I don't normally like on a guy. That being said if he doesn't do the role I hope we will not be disappointed with who gets the part...right now he's all we have till June 4th. :):)

I can't remember the name of the film, but he does look good with longer hair. Hmmmm

I agree. I wonder how bad Gideon felt, while Eva was sleeping, knowing what he put her through. He was hurting, what about poor Eva. It's a wonder she didn't collapse.

I think Gideon probably felt really bad for what he put Eva through deep down

It's a good thing this chapter ended calmly. They were both feeling raw. All the re-organising Gideon had to do, at a moments notice, while Eva slept. Instead of flying down, changing drivers, change of plans.

Exactly, at least they talked in NC which needed to be done and I hope they can go back there :)

923049_279047118905677_1849016920_n.jpg

I needed a little pick me up this afternoon.

OH MY GOD!! just back from my aquagym workout to find this... this... THIS staring at me!!!!!:)

Thank you so much! Knowing that there's still beauty around this world makes my heart sing...and something else purr.