Crossfire Series Questions for SYLVIA

Kirsten

Question

This thread is being started so we can all have a place to put our questions that we want Sylvia to answer. Obviously she will not be able to answer all since we have two more book to go... YAY!

My question still is what was with the back and forth between Gideon and Elizabeth regarding Cary at the garden party?

It is obvious that Gideon and Angus have a very close relationship, will we find out more about it, it book 4 or 5?

• Answers 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Actually one of my favorite parts of the book and again I laugh at myself because every part is my " fave " part is when Gideon and Corinne are in the Crossfire lobby both dressed in black - the symbolism here is hilarious; and here comes Eva through the revolving doors dressed in YELLOW and her blonde hair shining looking like an ANGEL ; Gideon's eyes LOCK with hers and Corinne doesn't have a chance SHE actually has to grab Gideon's chin to get his attention back on her and what does she do? She tries to plant a kiss on his UNWILLING mouth Gideon actually JERKS away and Corinne must have felt like the junkyard dog . It was the ULTIMATE REJECTION...

It's also key to remember that this probably isn't the first time Corinne has seen Gideon ignore her / stop dead in his tracks at the sight of Eva. A week or so previously, at the end of RIY (and possibly the night Gideon told Corinne they could no longer spend time together) Gideon spotted Eva on the street and froze. Now we know Corinne continued on into the car, but I'm sure she was confused when Gideon didn't immediately climb in beside her. It's likely she looked out, saw him frozen, staring across the street. Naturally she would have looked to see what had caught his attention and seen Eva flipping him the bird. She was probably thrilled if she witnessed this encounter believing she had won once and for all. Until later that night/a few days later Gideon told her they could no longer be anything more than long distance friends.

This is possibly the point at which Corinne snapped because while I doubt Gideon mentioned Eva while cutting off contact with Corinne, if she witnessed this encounter, she'd have known his aim was to reconcile with Eva.

I really don't know what to think with this one, I just thought the way Gideon had said that part about Lucas hiding it from Anne meant that Anne didn't know about it but I suppose we shall have to wait and see in Book 4

I think Dr. Lucas has other reasons for staying with Anne maybe SHE is blackmailing him by threatening to expose that he lied if he leaves her. Sometimes Gideon's speculations about things are way off due to his CLUELESSNESS about women . He thinks they are still together because Terry loves Anne as much as Gideon loves Eva... I do not believe this is the case.

Hi Claudine, 

I get where you are coming from.  I think for me, Dr. Lucas starting lying the moment he saw the physical signs of se**l abuse.  I think that his decision was clinched the moment Gideon confirmed that "Mr. Hugh" was the person who was abusing him.  I could see Gideon potentially opening up to Dr. Lucas because thus far, his mother had perhaps somewhat believed Gideon enough that she took him to someone who would potentially be able to help him and stop the abuse.  I think that in those moments Gideon would have been very trusting of those two.

I think that the damage came after he left the exam room and Dr. Lucas lied to Elizabeth Vidal.  He lied to Gideon's mother and in an instant Gideon knew that Dr. Lucas didn't believe him and that his mother thought he was a liar.  Those two incidents would have completely pulled the rug out from under Gideon's legs.

Maybe Gideon begged his mom, telling her that he wasn't lying and she took him to another pediatrician and the same results occurred, in which case Gideon got permanently branded as a liar.  I am not sure about how a scenario would play out exactly .  I would have to think about it a little more before I can speculate any further.

I think that Dr. Lucas covered up the abuse and was probably horrified by what he saw during Gideon's examination.  I think that he might have been just so sick about what he saw, that he inadvertently distanced himself from Anne.  He probably wouldn't have wanted to be the one to tell his wife that her brother was a sick pedophile and so he became stuck.  He lied so his license would be on the line now and he can't tell his wife because of how she might react so what does he do.  He ignores the problem and by proxy ignores his wife. 

It could very well be that Dr. Lucas started throwing himself into his work because he didn't want to deal with his wife or her family.  It could have been one of the reasons that the Lucas's marriage hit the skids and Anne went looking elsewhere.  I am not sure, this is strictly speculation at this point.  I have to think about that a little more before I can commit to something definitively.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I think this is probably how it played out Gigi but we do need to know more about the second pediatrician How could Terry Lucas have gotten a second pediatrician to lie too ... This is the missing piece of this puzzle...

I think Dr. Lucas has other reasons for staying with Anne maybe SHE is blackmailing him by threatening to expose that he lied if he leaves her. Sometimes Gideon's speculations about things are way off due to his CLUELESSNESS about women . He thinks they are still together because Terry loves Anne as much as Gideon loves Eva... I do not believe this is the case.

Possibility, Oh this is driving us mad, I hope that the book is out way before Christmas like August would be good LOL, I know wishful thinking :P

It's also key to remember that this probably isn't the first time Corinne has seen Gideon ignore her / stop dead in his tracks at the sight of Eva. A week or so previously, at the end of RIY (and possibly the night Gideon told Corinne they could no longer spend time together) Gideon spotted Eva on the street and froze. Now we know Corinne continued on into the car, but I'm sure she was confused when Gideon didn't immediately climb in beside her. It's likely she looked out, saw him frozen, staring across the street. Naturally she would have looked to see what had caught his attention and seen Eva flipping him the bird. She was probably thrilled if she witnessed this encounter believing she had won once and for all. Until later that night/a few days later Gideon told her they could no longer be anything more than long distance friends.

This is possibly the point at which Corinne snapped because while I doubt Gideon mentioned Eva while cutting off contact with Corinne, if she witnessed this encounter, she'd have known his aim was to reconcile with Eva.

Too True, especially about Corinne snapping, I think that when she saw Eva in the yellow dress and the fact that Gideon was fixed to Eva's eyes and Corinne could not get to kiss him has put her over the edge 

Too, the morning after the flipping-the-bird incident, Eva showed up on Corrine's doorstep, a confrontation that ended with Eva reminding Corrine that Gideon was in love with her (Eva) and telling a now-angry Corrine she pitied her.

That was Tuesday morning. Starting Wednesday night, Gideon quit coming home at night. Corrine lived right around the corner from his penthouse -- I'll bet she stalked the entrance.

My own theory about the timeline of the two pediatricians:

1. The first one examined him and found no physical evidence, because hand jobs would leave no marks. He got persuaded to break the rules/laws to involve outside agencies anyway.
  2. Hugh continued to get access to Gideon and further escalated things
  3. Lizzie became uneasy, because Gideon seemed to be getting worse
  4. Hugh sought to reassure Lizzie, telling her his brother-in-law is a pediatrician -- he'll get Terry to discretely examine Gideon without having to run the risk again state child protective services would get involved. Hugh counted on Terry keeping his mouth shut, not only about the accusations, but about any marks on Gideon too.
  5. Terry Lucas did examine him, found evidence -- and lied, just like Hugh predicted he would.

Hi Claudine, 

I get where you are coming from.  I think for me, Dr. Lucas starting lying the moment he saw the physical signs of se**l abuse.  I think that his decision was clinched the moment Gideon confirmed that "Mr. Hugh" was the person who was abusing him.  I could see Gideon potentially opening up to Dr. Lucas because thus far, his mother had perhaps somewhat believed Gideon enough that she took him to someone who would potentially be able to help him and stop the abuse.  I think that in those moments Gideon would have been very trusting of those two.

I think that the damage came after he left the exam room and Dr. Lucas lied to Elizabeth Vidal.  He lied to Gideon's mother and in an instant Gideon knew that Dr. Lucas didn't believe him and that his mother thought he was a liar.  Those two incidents would have completely pulled the rug out from under Gideon's legs.

Maybe Gideon begged his mom, telling her that he wasn't lying and she took him to another pediatrician and the same results occurred, in which case Gideon got permanently branded as a liar.  I am not sure about how a scenario would play out exactly .  I would have to think about it a little more before I can speculate any further.

I think that Dr. Lucas covered up the abuse and was probably horrified by what he saw during Gideon's examination.  I think that he might have been just so sick about what he saw, that he inadvertently distanced himself from Anne.  He probably wouldn't have wanted to be the one to tell his wife that her brother was a sick pedophile and so he became stuck.  He lied so his license would be on the line now and he can't tell his wife because of how she might react so what does he do.  He ignores the problem and by proxy ignores his wife. 

It could very well be that Dr. Lucas started throwing himself into his work because he didn't want to deal with his wife or her family.  It could have been one of the reasons that the Lucas's marriage hit the skids and Anne went looking elsewhere.  I am not sure, this is strictly speculation at this point.  I have to think about that a little more before I can commit to something definitively.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Hi Gigi,

I have a slightly different version of events - let me know what you think.

Hugh is left alone more and more with Gideon as the shrink is distracted by Elizabeth.

He starts the abuse with masturbation - something that will leave no evidence.

Fairly quickly, Gideon approaches his mother and tells her about Hugh touching him.

She asks Pediatrician #1 to examine Gideon for signs of abuse - none are found.

Hugh's abuse of Gideon increases because he knows the mother doesn't believe the kid, he's been given access even after the accusations. He feels secure enough to escalate the abuse to anal rape.

Gideon tells his mother again, and maybe because Gideon's claims sound more extreme this time, she seeks a second opinion.

Enter Dr Terry Lucas - he does find evidence of abuse but lies and covers it up because Hugh is his brother-in-law.

Gideon's mother really doesn't believe him now. He's been branded a liar by his family and ostracised further, also the abuse likely continues as it did before when Elizabeth didn't believe Gideon.

After her pregnancy, Elizabeth decides she no longer needs to see the shrink, and Gideon's therapy clearly isn't working. This is how the abuse ends.

Gideon felt the need to get revenge on those who had wronged him - Hugh and Terry. As he has not mentioned pediatrician#1 in anyhing more than passing, I can only assume that he doesn't consider him responsible for what happened to him.

Sure, as a kid he probably hated him just as much as the other 2. But as an adult out to aftually get revenge, he likely figured out that the man didn't have any evidence to suggest Gideon was telling the truth.

What do you think?

Actually one of my favorite parts of the book and again I laugh at myself because every part is my " fave " part is when Gideon and Corinne are in the Crossfire lobby both dressed in black - the symbolism here is hilarious; and here comes Eva through the revolving doors dressed in YELLOW and her blonde hair shining looking like an ANGEL ; Gideon's eyes LOCK with hers and Corinne doesn't have a chance SHE actually has to grab Gideon's chin to get his attention back on her and what does she do? She tries to plant a kiss on his UNWILLING mouth Gideon actually JERKS away and Corinne must have felt like the junkyard dog . It was the ULTIMATE REJECTION...

Yes Yes and Yes to this   :)  :)  :)

Do you really think that Gideon and Eva would let Tat move into with them. I don't think so.

I doubt it, Eva does not feel comfortable with her or like her and Gideon would not allow anyone that his lovely Eva does not like to move in, also I don't think he likes her, he thought she was trouble :)

Hi Gigi,

Hugh is left alone more and more with Gideon as the shrink is distracted by Elizabeth.

Fairly quickly, Gideon approaches his mother and tells her about Hugh touching him.

Hugh's abuse of Gideon increases because he knows the mother doesn't believe the kid, he's been given access even after the accusations. He feels secure enough to escalate the abuse to anal rape.

Gideon tells his mother again, and maybe because Gideon's claims sound more extreme this time, she seeks a second opinion.

Enter Dr Terry Lucas - he does find evidence of abuse but lies and covers it up because Hugh is his brother-in-law.

Gideon's mother really doesn't believe him now. He's been branded a liar by his family and ostracised further, also the abuse likely continues as it did before when Elizabeth didn't believe Gideon.

After her pregnancy, Elizabeth decides she no longer needs to see the shrink, and Gideon's therapy clearly isn't working. This is how the abuse ends.

Gideon felt the need to get revenge on those who had wronged him - Hugh and Terry. As he has not mentioned pediatrician#1 in anyhing more than passing, I can only assume that he doesn't consider him responsible for what happened to him.

Sure, as a kid he probably hated him just as much as the other 2. But as an adult out to aftually get revenge, he likely figured out that the man didn't have any evidence to suggest Gideon was telling the truth.

What do you think?

To me this sounds very realistic and believable.  

Hi Gigi,

What do you think?

Hi Rogue.

I agree with this, but I feel that Angus was the one who stopped the abuse from continuing. Is that why Gideon and him have such a good relationship. Gideon trusts him more than anything. Did Gideon confide in Angus? Angus has been a surrogate father all these years to Gideon.

Hi Rogue.

I agree with this, but I feel that Angus was the one who stopped the abuse from continuing. Is that why Gideon and him have such a good relationship. Gideon trusts him more than anything. Did Gideon confide in Angus? Angus has been a surrogate father all these years to Gideon.

I do think Angus has something to do with this as well Julie, they are so close and Gideon relies on Angus so much like we have always said Angus is like a surrogate father to Gideon, there must have been a instance where Angus caught Hugh at what he was doing and stopped it. :)

Go Team Angus as well now, we all love him 

Hi Rogue.

I had always thought that too. That Angus had caught Gideon's abuser and stopped the abuse. What doesn't make sense to me about that scenario though, is if Angus caught Gideon's abuser in the act surely he would have told the Vidals? It would be his job to do so and I don't see him letting the family continuing to believe Gideon was lying about the abuse even if he managed to scare Hugh off himself discreetly.

And if Angus a trusted member of their security staff told the Vidals that he caught Hugh abusing Gideon, how can Elizabeth still be denying that it happened all these years later. If they hadn't believed Angus why would he still be working for them all those years later when Gideon had enough money to hire him away from them?

I think Angus recognised that there was something wrong with Gideon, he may have even been aware of the accusations Gideon was making and believed them due to the changes in his behaviour. Im not convinced he had anything to do with the end of the abuse, but I think he started to teach Gideon some mixed martial arts and gave him a positive outlet for his anger and frustration, and this brought them closer.

I had always thought that too. That Angus had caught Gideon's abuser and stopped the abuse. What doesn't make sense to me about that scenario though, is if Angus caught Gideon's abuser in the act surely he would have told the Vidals? It would be his job to do so and I don't see him letting the family continuing to believe Gideon was lying about the abuse even if he managed to scare Hugh off himself discreetly.

And if Angus a trusted member of their security staff told the Vidals that he caught Hugh abusing Gideon, how can Elizabeth still be denying that it happened all these years later. If they hadn't believed Angus why would he still be working for them all those years later when Gideon had enough money to hire him away from them?

I think Angus recognised that there was something wrong with Gideon, he may have even been aware of the accusations Gideon was making and believed them due to the changes in his behaviour. Im not convinced he had anything to do with the end of the abuse, but I think he started to teach Gideon some mixed martial arts and gave him a positive outlet for his anger and frustration, and this brought them closer.

I see the last bit you mentioned happening. I don't think he stopped the abuse because he would've had the responsibility to tell his employer. But like you said maybe he did help Gideon channel his anger, maybe Angus was to Gideon what Travis was to Eva.

Yes I know what you mean. It would have been his duty or anyone who thought a child was being abused to report it. I'm not sure where the Angus fits in with the ending of the abuse, but I'm sure he has something to do with its ending. I'm thinking the martial arts training was, as you say an outlet for his anger, but also his protection. Angus was willing to listen to Gideon and believe him, unlike the rest of the family.

My guess is that Angus was aware of the accusations and the exams by the two doctors -- and was aware the Vidals concluded Gideon was lying. Hugh, the coast now being clear, further escalated the sexual assaults upon Gideon, and Angus caught him. And did something particularly nasty. But then, knowing Gideon's mother and stepfather had already failed -- twice -- to protect the child and were trying to avoid the involvement of outside authorities, Angus took the law into his own hands to deal with Hugh, then became Gideon's protector for the remainder of Gideon's childhood.

If I were Angus, I wouldn't trust Lizzie either. I'd do everything in my power to be able to stay close to Gideon in order to help him, to become an adult role model -- to let him know Hugh wouldn't ever --EVER -- touch him again.

I once read a piece of advice a successful author gave aspiring authors. I cannot for the life of me remember which author it was, but I clearly remember the advice: "Never introduce a weapon into a story unless you plan to use it."

Repeatedly, it's been noted that both Angus and Clancy carry firearms. Thus far, one weapon has been used in the story: a knife, because Nathan was stabbed to death. Is someone getting shot before this is over?

I can see someone getting shot but I hope that Gideon doesn't have to do it.  I don't think he can handle that mentally or emotionally. 

Hi everybody!! =) I have been reading posts here and finally was able to log in.. I have a question,when did Gideon tell Eva that it was the assistant who abused him?which part was it? Thanks =)

Welcome to the group.

In the car ride after she saw Dr Lucus and Gideon followed her there.  

I can see someone getting shot but I hope that Gideon doesn't have to do it.  I don't think he can handle that mentally or emotionally.

And I think the same can be said for the Krav Maga; it can be considered a weapon of sorts and it is only a matter of time before Eva uses it and it won't be on Gideon...

I agree if Angus caught the abuser red handed he definitely would have told his employer. I think that after Gideon was examined by Dr . Lucas and Terry somehow concluded the abuser was Hugh ; Terry gave Hugh the heads up so he never touched Gideon again or the therapy ended by Hugh making some excuse he couldn't continue anymore...