One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

Similar, Julie -- here in the States, young people graduate high school around age 17-18. A bachelor's degree, the most widespread college degree, takes four years to complete if a student attends college full time, so most students finish around age 21-22. "Graduate school" involves at a bare minimum two more years full time to finish - for a master's degree. Doctorate degrees take even longer than that, and the amount of time getting one of those advanced degrees depends upon the subject being studied (medicine, law, science, etc.)

Eva is 24 and she mentioned to Gideon that one of the reasons she hadn't gotten laid in a while was she had been busy working on a "thesis." A thesis is something that is part of nearly all master's degree program. Doing the math, it would appear Eva attended college for six years total.

However, she lived with her father and went to school in San Diego for only four years. My guess is that she started out in college living near her mother, but after two years decided to transfer to San Diego State, to finish her bachelor's there and then get her master's.

You know you bring up the AA LN... Eva probably went to a local "community college" at first then finished with a BA or BS in SD with Victor then did her masters.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know you bring up the AA LN... Eva probably went to a local "community college" at first then finished with a BA or BS in SD with Victor then did her masters.

If I had to guess, Eva's undergrad degree is in marketing or communications, and the grad degree is an MBA (that stands for Masters of Business Administration, FYI, our international fans -- it's perhaps the most common of the master's degree and the one that people who go into the corporate realm usually get.)

Plus, I can see Monica insisting Eva live at home when she'd started attending college. Oh God, the dormitories would be far too unsafe for the non-existent comfort level of over-the-top neurotic Monica. No wonder Eva moved to California!

If I had to guess, Eva's undergrad degree is in marketing or communications, and the grad degree is an MBA (that stands for Masters of Business Administration, FYI, our international fans -- it's perhaps the most common of the master's degree and the one that people who go into the corporate realm usually get.)

Plus, I can see Monica insisting Eva live at home when she'd started attending college. Oh God, the dormitories would be far too unsafe for the non-existent comfort level of over-the-top neurotic Monica. No wonder Eva moved to California!

When she went to SDU, she didn't live with her father so I'm asuming she was in the dorm.s

Favourite scene is the Crossfire lobby.

I knew to pay careful attention when Gideon got serious about s*x.

"No" I lifted my face to the tinted dome in the ceiling that concealed the nearest security camera. "To make you come. I love making you come Gideon."

He exhaled harshly." A gift, then."

Only I knew what it meant for Gideon to view a s*xual act as a gift. For him, s*x had previously been about pain and degradation or ###### and necessity. Now, with me, it was about pleasure and love.

"Always"

"Good. Because I treasure you , Eva, and what we have even our driving urge to f*ck each other constantly is precious to me, because it matters."

At last s*x for them is how it should be, loving, fun, and an intimate closeness.

I love this bit also Julie.

I started to listen to RIY this morning on the way into work, it sounds more real when you are listening to the audio books I think :)

Totally agree with that statement. Gideons self control must have been phenomenal, considering how he pursued Eva.

I love the bit of the interview too, when Sylvia mentioned about how s*x in the limo changed everything that night. Changed his life forever literally.

I agree with that as well :)

Chapter 2 of Reflected in You - The Readers Guide

This chapter started Thursday morning and went through lunchtime (day 18).

Key plot developments

• Eva spotted Corrine walking out of the Crossfire looking like Gideon had just f******* her upstairs in his office during lunchtime.
  • In one instant, Corrine managed to undo all the assurances Gideon made to Eva the night before -- and even undo some additional assurances Eva had received that morning from, of all people, Magdalene, who told Eva what had gone on between Gideon and Corrine the evening before.
  • The lunchtime incident ruined what had been up to then a good day for Eva:
    • Eva had convinced Cary to go with her to Las Vegas for the weekend. She'd gone to lunch with Megumi, the receptionist at her office, starting to build the first new friendship Eva would make in New York. Her boss, Mark, gave her new responsibility that would start to advance her new career in advertising.

New characters

Anne Lucas (in passing and not by name) 

Corrine fights dirty

Eva was across the street from the Crossfire entrance, coming back from lunch, when she saw Corrine walk out of the building. Eva whipped out her smartphone to take a picture, and so through the zoom feature got a close look at Corrine. Her hair and make-up were a mess, especially her bright red lipstick. She looked like Gideon just f***** her upstairs in his office. As Eva watched, her eyes blurring with angry tears, Corrine climbed into the back of Gideon's Bentley, Angus driving her away.

Only much later would Eva correctly figure out this incident had been a mind game Corrine played in order to manipulate Eva's weaknesses of insecurity and jealousy, weapons that Gideon unknowingly had handed to Corrine. But in the short term, Corrine managed to do serious emotional damage to Eva -- and with it damage to Eva and Gideon's relationship.

What Magdalene told Eva before lunch

It turned out that the evening before at the fundraiser, when Gideon spent the dinner itself talking quietly to Corrine at the table, all the time ignoring Eva, he'd been trying to control Corrine -- to prevent Corrine from further upsetting Eva.

Eva hadn't been able to hear what Gideon and Corrine had been saying to one another, but Magdalene eavesdropped on the entire conversation. Thus Magdalene overheard Corrine playing another manipulative mind game -- a walk down memory lane talking about New York places that meant something significant to Corrine and Gideon's shared past. Corrine coyly was suggesting Gideon take Eva sightseeing to those places.

Magdalene called up Eva at Eva's office the following morning to tell Eva all about what really happened the night before at dinner. What was Magdalene's motive? She claimed she owed Eva for how nasty she'd been to Eva the night they'd met. Magdalene also explained that as an old friend of Gideon's (her mother and his are best friends) she'd been seeing Eva around, and so Magdalene wanted to avoid any future awkwardness.

During the talk, Magdalene conveyed some significant details about Gideon's history with women:

• Gideon tore out of the fundraiser the night before, obviously upset, to chase Eva after Eva walked out on him - he barely said good-bye to Corrine.
  • In all the years Magdalene had known Gideon, she'd never seen him chase a woman -- and Magdalene had seen other women he was dating walk out on him as grand gestures to try get his attention.
  • In every other one of those cases, all Gideon did was to make sure Angus drove each of those women home. It went without saying that in every one of those cases, Gideon quit dating those drama queens.

Cary and Eva text and talk

Wednesday night, the last of Cary that Eva had seen was her drunk and angry roommate storm off to his room after Eva had ended the sex orgy Cary hosted by throwing out his guests, then chewing out Cary for screwing up his life. Soon after, Eva left with Gideon to stay the night at his place.

Thursday morning, Eva had decided her best friend needed her support, including spending lots of time with him. Gideon, who had to leave town for the weekend, didn't want her staying behind in New York, because of safety concerns. She agreed to his plan that she and Cary could spend the weekend in Las Vegas at one of the hotels Gideon owns.

In this chapter, via text and then phone, Eva and Cary communicated. Cary was full of apologies for what had happened (including one of his guests having crudely propositioned Eva) and recognized he had screwed up. His initial reaction to Eva telling him about Vegas was fear she planned on telling him she was moving in with Gideon.

Reassured that wasn't the case, Cary then happily agreed to a weekend of fun hanging around with his best friend.

Another text and call

Eva sexted Gideon, teasing him she'd like to perform oral sex on him, a sext that drew an unexpected anxiety reaction from Gideon, who feared she was playing with his mind.

Eva, having known pain and degradation in her own sexual past, figured out she'd inadvertently triggered similar feelings in Gideon.

In one of their most functional communication interactions with one another to date, Eva assured Gideon she wanted to bestow pleasure as a gift, not use sex as a weapon.

Their phone call ended on a positive note with both of them agreeing the sexual part of their relationship is precious.

Other stuff

Eva did a little checking online on Dr. Lucas, the guy who'd picked a fight with Gideon over her the night before. We readers learned some details about him that will become important later in the story: he's a pediatrician, age 45 and married for 20 years. Eva had worried the wife might be brunette, but was relieved to see a photo showing Mrs. Lucas is a redhead.

Building her first new friendship in New York, Eva went to lunch with Megumi, the main receptionist at the firm where Eva works.

Eva's boss, Mark, entrusted her with a new responsibility above her duties as an entry-level administrative assistant. He asked her to help do some work on his own level as a junior account executive - come up with concepts for a new account he landed, to create an advertising campaign for flavored coffee.

A Chapter A Day Re-Read Project - Today is Chapter 3 of Reflected in You

This chapter covers Thursday (day 18) starting early afternoon and ending that night.

Key plot developments

• The major plot twist actually isn't in the book at all, but rather, what happened is something Sylvia later revealed in spoiler posts: Nathan and Gideon had confronted one another face to face in his office during lunchtime.
  • Chapter 2 ended with Corrine having pulled the "nooner stunt." In this chapter came one of the worst fights Eva and Gideon ever have, with Eva losing control after she barges into his office and finds what she concludes is evidence he f****** Corrine there.
  • The fight continued Thursday evening in Dr. Petersen's office, when Eva and Gideon had their first couples therapy session.

The Humongous Fight In Chapter Three - The Old Eva Comes Out

Background: When Eva had moved out to California as a young woman, really getting to know her father for the first time, in return Victor got to know his daughter -- and saw her dark side. Saw she was an angry troublemaker. He never knew the cause (she'd been repeatedly raped as a girl) but he did know something was really wrong -- and thus he convinced her to enter therapy with Dr. Travis, to start working on her issues. Thus far, we've heard about (and seen evidence of) progress that therapy made in helping to heal parts of her.

But after Corrine severely triggered Eva's insecurities and jealousies, and then Gideon made matters worse by trying to downplay Eva's over-reaction, what I saw as a reader was a glimpse of who Eva had been at her worst years ago. In order, here's what she did, and what I think it signified:

1. Barged her way into his office (boundary violation)
  2. Didn't immediately open up to him about why she was upset (lack of open communication)
  3. Searched the premises for further evidence of "guilt" and basically tried and convicted the guy on the spot (serious trust problem)
  4. Refused to tell him what was wrong - instead swore at him and tried to storm out (wound-and-run pattern Travis had warned her about)
  5. When he blocked her from leaving, she slapped him across the face -- very hard (complete loss of temper now resulting in violence)
  6. Finally showed him the "incriminating" picture of what Corrine had looked like walking out of the building, but didn't even want to listen to his possible explanations (already prejudged him -- trust problem and communication problem)
  7. Accused him of cheating (trust problem - jealousy issue)
  8. ** In Eva's defense, Gideon proceeded to screw up seriously at this point by vastly underestimating how upset she was, belittling her reactions, and in return getting angry at her, completely blowing how he handled his own side of this serious fight.
  9. Eva dredged up again the entire episode of Corrine at the fundraiser the night before -- and so rejected everything Gideon had explained to her the night before when he, for once, had been being very honest. (Proof that Corrine had succeeded in very seriously triggering Eva, now her trust in Gideon was shattered when it came to Corrine. Eva really does have serious issues.)
  10. When Gideon finally asked her point blank did she believe he'd f****** Corrine there in his office, she continued to counterattack (trust/communication failure)
  11. Said things to deliberately wound Gideon, then left - this time without him stopping her (wound and run.)

Favorite scene, chapter 2, RIY page 28:

" Startled, I looked around for him. Then I remembered that the caller ID put him in his office. My gaze lifted, searching for the security cameras. Immediately, I felt his eyes on me, hot and wanting. Arousal surged through me, spurred by his desire."

That Eva can feel Gideon's desire via the security camera, is hot!

Eva was so convinced after seeing Corrine leaving the Crossfire that something had happened between Corrine and Gideon because of Corrine's appearance. I find that interesting because whenever Eva and Gideon were intimate he always made sure she was presentable. He would have never let Eva leave his office looking like they just were just very intimate.

Eva was so convinced after seeing Corrine leaving the Crossfire that something had happened between Corrine and Gideon because of Corrine's appearance. I find that interesting because whenever Eva and Gideon were intimate he always made sure she was presentable. He would have never let Eva leave his office looking like they just were just very intimate.

Good point.

The Humongous Fight In Chapter Three - The Old Eva Comes Out

Background: When Eva had moved out to California as a young woman, really getting to know her father for the first time, in return Victor got to know his daughter -- and saw her dark side. Saw she was an angry troublemaker. He never knew the cause (she'd been repeatedly raped as a girl) but he did know something was really wrong -- and thus he convinced her to enter therapy with Dr. Travis, to start working on her issues. Thus far, we've heard about (and seen evidence of) progress that therapy made in helping to heal parts of her.

But after Corrine severely triggered Eva's insecurities and jealousies, and then Gideon made matters worse by trying to downplay Eva's over-reaction, what I saw as a reader was a glimpse of who Eva had been at her worst years ago. In order, here's what she did, and what I think it signified:

• Barged her way into his office (boundary violation)
  • Didn't immediately open up to him about why she was upset (lack of open communication)
  • Searched the premises for further evidence of "guilt" and basically tried and convicted the guy on the spot (serious trust problem)
  • Refused to tell him what was wrong - instead swore at him and tried to storm out (wound-and-run pattern Travis had warned her about)
  • When he blocked her from leaving, she slapped him across the face -- very hard (complete loss of temper now resulting in violence)
  • Finally showed him the "incriminating" picture of what Corrine had looked like walking out of the building, but didn't even want to listen to his possible explanations (already prejudged him -- trust problem and communication problem)
  • Accused him of cheating (trust problem - jealousy issue)
  • ** In Eva's defense, Gideon proceeded to screw up seriously at this point by vastly underestimating how upset she was, belittling her reactions, and in return getting angry at her, completely blowing how he handled his own side of this serious fight.
  • Eva dredged up again the entire episode of Corrine at the fundraiser the night before -- and so rejected everything Gideon had explained to her the night before when he, for once, had been being very honest. (Proof that Corrine had succeeded in very seriously triggering Eva, now her trust in Gideon was shattered when it came to Corrine. Eva really does have serious issues.)
  • When Gideon finally asked her point blank did she believe he'd f****** Corrine there in his office, she continued to counterattack (trust/communication failure)
  • Said things to deliberately wound Gideon, then left - this time without him stopping her (wound and run.)
You hit the nail on the head with this post. There was a huge breakdown in communication on both their parts. Those darn demon twins, keep rearing their ugly heads too.

Eva also pushed past Scott at reception, not waiting for him to finish talking. Oh Eva.

I find it interesting how Gideon started to go quiet when he saw the photo of Corrine that Eva had taken on her (Eva's) smartphone and the revelation that Corrine essentially helped herself to Angus' services.

I'm convinced that later that day, Gideon chewed Corrine out up one side and down the other. Just because he didn't tell Eva that does NOT mean he didn't tell Corrine off.  What Corrine did hurt Eva -- badly. And moving forward, he tried to avoid talking about Corrine period with Eva because the mere mention of his ex's name triggered Eva.

The story strongly suggests that after the fundraiser fiasco, Gideon did not spend any time at all, in public or in private, anywhere near Corrine. He spent every moment he could with Eva. Until Gideon started taking Corrine out, as part of the Nathan plot, he almost certainly had been rebuffing any requests she had made to try to see him. I suspect he might have even done what Eva had demanded he do the night she met Corrine -- start weaning Corrine off of the phone calls.

I find it interesting how Gideon started to go quiet when he saw the photo of Corrine that Eva had taken on her (Eva's) smartphone and the revelation that Corrine essentially helped herself to Angus' services.

I'm convinced that later that day, Gideon chewed Corrine out up one side and down the other. Just because he didn't tell Eva that does NOT mean he didn't tell Corrine off.  What Corrine did hurt Eva -- badly. And moving forward, he tried to avoid talking about Corrine period with Eva because the mere mention of his ex's name triggered Eva.

The story strongly suggests that after the fundraiser fiasco, Gideon did not spend any time at all, in public or in private, anywhere near Corrine. He spent every moment he could with Eva. Until Gideon started taking Corrine out, as part of the Nathan plot, he almost certainly had been rebuffing any requests she had made to try to see him. I suspect he might have even done what Eva had demanded he do the night she met Corrine -- start weaning Corrine off of the phone calls.

Oh to read the entire manuscript. I wonder how much we talk about was edited?

Yes the twin demons were rearing their ugly heads that day because she was so off the mark !!! Who can mistake blood for lipstick anyway; they are really 2 different stains!!!

Hi, LN Cronan

I don't have any social media accounts because I have limited time and energy to constantly checking and up dating them. Once in a while I take a peek of my fave authors and book blogs' twitter, focusing only on the pics and quotes *wink* Glad I finally found my rhythm to keep up with all of you.

So, thank you for sharing this link. I've bookmarked it and will read it later in peace [Don't you think that we're doing some kind of brain gym with all the snapshot/snippet/countdown clues of EWY? I feel like anticipating crossword-sudoku-puzzle combo literature *LOL*]

And thank you for those of you who already posted links related to SD and the Crossfire.

You all ROCK!

*will post my favorites tomorrow* GTG now.

Andie, here's a link to something you might like on Pinterest, a graphic of some of the ways plots unfold in good fiction. I happened to come across this on Facebook the day after you perceived the plot pattern in Bared to You. Coincidence? Maybe not. The part labeled "Swain's Plotting Method" hit me right away, because when I read it, I instantly recognized Sylvia's genius for how she continues to drive the plot tension time and time and time again.

http://pinterest.com/pin/279293614363996920/

"Lucky you. You get to experience the inconvenience reserved for men with girlfriends and wives."

"I am lucky." Gideon brushed loose strands of my hair away from my temples, his own luxuriant hair falling around that chiseled face. " "and maybe, if I'm really lucky, you'll feel better tomorrow and like me again"

Oh that was so sad. Both of them sound so low and are in need of some TLC. :( :(

It struck me that Gideon sorta freaked when Eva revealed she didn't feel well physically -- he even asked her if she needed a doctor.

My theory on the root of that over-reaction was the fact his mother had been sick for some, perhaps all, of her third pregnancy, carrying his half sister Ireland, when he was around age 10-11 at the time. That "difficult" pregnancy triggered the chain of events that led to him getting sexually abused and in a way "losing" his mother, his relationship with her destroyed because she took the word of strangers over him.

So now one of Gideon's issues he'll need to overcome is being triggered by changes to Eva's physical health -- not just over-reacting if she so much as develops a cold. Can you imagine what he could be like if they have children of their own some day? Probably a wreck from the day he gets the news she's pregnant.

It struck me that Gideon sorta freaked when Eva revealed she didn't feel well physically -- he even asked her if she needed a doctor.

My theory on the root of that over-reaction was the fact his mother had been sick for some, perhaps all, of her third pregnancy, carrying his half sister Ireland, when he was around age 10-11 at the time. That "difficult" pregnancy triggered the chain of events that led to him getting sexually abused and in a way "losing" his mother, his relationship with her destroyed because she took the word of strangers over him.

So now one of Gideon's issues he'll need to overcome is being triggered by changes to Eva's physical health -- not just over-reacting if she so much as develops a cold. Can you imagine what he could be like if they have children of their own some day? Probably a wreck from the day he gets the news she's pregnant.

You mentioning this subject.

I have wondered several times, how Eva would cope with a pregnancy? Given that the abuse she suffered which resulted in a pregnancy, then a miscarriage. Emotionally, and mentally how could she not remember back to those dark days. This would be a bittersweet moment for Eva to get pregnant. From Gideons point of view, surely horrendous memories would flood back. I would think a baby although eventually will be fantastic, but until their issues were resolved, would be a very bad thing.

Sylvia has indicated any possibility of children would be down the road -- after they've done a lot more working through their issues, Gideon especially. But yes, pregnancy would be emotionally complicated for Eva as well. I only hope there wouldn't be physical problems with her being able to become a mother, i.e., that early pregnancy/miscarriage having left some physical damage internally.

Sylvia has indicated any possibility of children would be down the road -- after they've done a lot more working through their issues, Gideon especially. But yes, pregnancy would be emotionally complicated for Eva as well. I only hope there wouldn't be physical problems with her being able to become a mother, i.e., that early pregnancy/miscarriage having left some physical damage internally.

That could be a possibility from the abuse alone.