Entwined With You- Chapter One

If Johnson stands firm protecting Lucas as a source, there's no way Gideon could prove Lucas was the one who leaked information about his (Gideon's) childhood mental health problems.

Because Lucas is right in a way when he said Gideon can't get away with anything he wants just because of his money. No matter how much money he paid lawyers to try to expose Lucas as a reporter's source, he won't be able to force the reporter to cough up Lucas' name. There's considerable case law under the U.S. constitution that protects the rights of journalists to keep sources confidential. These protections fall under the constitution's First Amendment, which protects freedom of the press. So anyone has an uphill battle in court trying to convince a judge to rule in favor of the plaintiff (here, Gideon) instead of the defendant (here, the reporter and whatever news organizations ran her story.)

There are instances in which judges have sided with plaintiffs anyway, ordering reporters to cough up sources. However, this doesn't work either, because it's a badge of honor for reporters to go to jail for contempt of court rather than reveal a source. Sooner or later the reporter always gets out of jail anyway, and usually sooner when an appeals court over-rules the judge's decision. Indeed, one of the motivations of reporters willing to sacrifice themselves by going to jail is the hope that the appeals will end up with rulings favorable to the press, creating an even bigger body of case law protecting freedom of the press.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deanna is, however, exposing herself to a huge legal risk if she does in fact smear Gideon's reputation by getting serious dirt on him. Because she is motivated by malice. One false step, and she opens herself to being utterly destroyed by being found guilty of libel.

As long as every word she prints is true, Gideon's can't touch her. But if she gets something wrong, and he can prove it, it's a slam dunk to nail her for libel.

If you ladies can stand one more mini-lesson in media law in the United States.

Ordinary, every day people have a much higher degree of protection against news stories that contain untrue information about them. If an untrue story runs that seriously harms an ordinary person runs, he/she can sue for libel, and has a halfway decent chance of succeeding -- even if the false story is simply because the reporter screwed up.

Public figures, however, give up a great deal of protection against the media. By putting themselves in the spotlight, they've put themselves in a place where the media's going to be paying attention to them. And because reporters are human who make mistakes, there will be stories that contain false information. Sometimes the information could even harm the celebrity.

However, if it's a case where the reporter honestly made a mistake, then a public figure can't successfully win a libel case against that reporter and/or his/her news organization. The legal concepts -- and this is the exact way it's phrased -- is "absence of malice." Absence of malice is an absolute defense against lawsuits brought by public figures. And it is the plaintiff, not the news organization that has the burden of proving malice. In other words, the news organization doesn't have to prove itself innocent of malice -- the plaintiff must prove the reporter guilty.

If Deanna screwed up, Gideon could easily prove malice. She'd be in deep, deep trouble, as would be any news organizations that ran her false reports. Gideon could actually dismantle them through civil lawsuits.

Deanna is, however, exposing herself to a huge legal risk if she does in fact smear Gideon's reputation by getting serious dirt on him. Because she is motivated by malice. One false step, and she opens herself to being utterly destroyed by being found guilty of libel.

As long as every word she prints is true, Gideon's can't touch her. But if she gets something wrong, and he can prove it, it's a slam dunk to nail her for libel.

Ordinary, every day people have a much higher degree of protection against news stories that contain untrue information about them. If an untrue story runs that seriously harms an ordinary person runs, he/she can sue for libel, and has a halfway decent chance of succeeding -- even if the false story is simply because the reporter screwed up.

Public figures, however, give up a great deal of protection against the media. By putting themselves in the spotlight, they've put themselves in a place where the media's going to be paying attention to them. And because reporters are human who make mistakes, there will be stories that contain false information. Sometimes the information could even harm the celebrity.

However, if it's a case where the reporter honestly made a mistake, then a public figure can't successfully win a libel case against that reporter and/or his/her news organization. The legal concepts -- and this is the exact way it's phrased -- is "absence of malice." Absence of malice is an absolute defense against lawsuits brought by public figures. And it is the plaintiff, not the news organization that has the burden of proving malice. In other words, the news organization doesn't have to prove itself innocent of malice -- the plaintiff must prove the reporter guilty.

If Deanna screwed up, Gideon could easily prove malice. She'd be in deep, deep trouble, as would be any news organizations that ran her false reports. Gideon could actually dismantle them through civil lawsuits.

Thanks LN :)

Peaches ........... I agree with you comment on the reporter and there was a snippet about ' there were other women before he knew she existed' .  So I think that Eva's 'spidey sense' will be accurate about her being an ex.    

Hope everyone agrees that our teaser chapters were FAB :)     Thanks to Sylvia for the suprise bonus, she loves us, she really loves us   LOL  

Deanna would keep Lucas' name out of it, just like she promised to keep Eva's name out of it.

Yes, Lucas would violate medical ethics and actually the law by leaking Gideon's mental health history to an outsider, most especially a journalist bent on using the information to hurt Gideon. But if it's true Lucas was involved in the original cover-up of the reports Gideon may have been being abused, already Lucas has violated medical ethics and the law. He was ethically and legally required to report the mere accusations to child protective services, so that an outside investigation could have been conducted, instead of cooperating with a privately-hushed-up investigation by Gideon's family.

Gideon's already got a reputation as being a playboy billionaire with a string of socialites. That doesn't harm him. What I think Johnson hopes to accomplish is to give him a bad reputation as a real piece of s*** who actually mentally and emotionally abuses women.

I don't know about anyone else but if Deanna is writing a story about Gideon being abusive she picked the wrong guy. The word abusive in today's society almost always means physical and if she puts that word out there she is looking for a libel suit and possibly the destruction of her own career. Anyone that writes a story about a mogul like that most assuredly must include all the good works Gideon does too such as charities etc. A magazine would not print a story about Donald Trump just about all his marriages they would include other aspects of his life etc and if Dr. Lucas is any way involved in leaking info about Gideon's mental health then he really is stupid because he's put his career in jeopardy here. Way back when if he did this he was young and didn't have anything to lose but now he does and he's not an untouchable billionaire he's just a pediatrician.After all his WIFE went after Gideon so he should just suck it up and stop blaming Gideon for his own inadequacies!!!

afternoon from England

I do like the lessons, because I can see how they can become part of the story. I'm convinced Deanna is going to screw up. Whatever, the info she has, allegedly coming from our good doctor, it will be her downfall that Gideon promised when Eva told him her story of being raped. Did we need another brunette thrown into the mix?

Once the story hits the streets, I'm thinking Victor will make an appearance, for Eva's sake and sanity. He will protect her.

On another subject, one of the things that touched me most deeply about what Gideon said to Eva in Chapter One is his willingness to let her go now. He didn't want her to spend the rest of her life afraid of him if she honestly believed he was a violent person. She suffered enough being afraid of Nathan. He was promising no more trying to manipulate her emotions, to chase after her, to try to force her to take him back for the upteenth time.

He was willing to spend the rest of his life without her, even though it would kill him, rather than try to force her to stay with him.

Poor Gideon.

On another subject, one of the things that touched me most deeply about what Gideon said to Eva in Chapter One is his willingness to let her go now. He didn't want her to spend the rest of her life afraid of him if she honestly believed he was a violent person. She suffered enough being afraid of Nathan. He was promising no more trying to manipulate her emotions, to chase after her, to try to force her to take him back for the upteenth time.

He was willing to spend the rest of his life without her, even though it would kill him, rather than try to force her to stay with him.

Poor Gideon.

I agree with you and the fact that chapter one and chapter two were both full of deeply emotional moments. I can only imagine what the rest of the book will be like .... I know it's been hard but it will be so worth the wait when we finally read it :)

And on another subject also, don't you think in the back of his mind that Cary really thinks that Gideon may have had something to do with Nathan's death? Cary has always had an open eye to Gideon such as when he questioned that morning how he became so rich so I think it is hard for Cary to believe that Gideon and Nathan are mutually exclusive what does everyone think?

Poor Gideon.

after Gideon attacked Eva, during his first nightmare at her apartment, he told her, she was never going to be a victim ever again. She was afraid of him for physically attacking her, she overcame that hurdle. He has to realise that she needs time to heal. She needs to process what his actions mean to them as a couple. They both need some Dr Petersen therapy or Dr Travis.

Nathan surfaced the day Eva went out to lunch with Megumi...

Yup that was the day after the dinner when Eva found out about Corrine, coming back from lunch with megumi is when Eva saw Corrine leaving the building looking freshly f#%ked. Eva went up to Gideon's office and found the (lipstick) on his shirt.. We now know that it was blood.... Nathan's blood..! So Gideon did know that Nathan was in town before Eva and Cary went to Sin City and he went to Arizona..!

after Gideon attacked Eva, during his first nightmare at her apartment, he told her, she was never going to be a victim ever again. She was afraid of him for physically attacking her, she overcame that hurdle. He has to realise that she needs time to heal. She needs to process what his actions mean to them as a couple. They both need some Dr Petersen therapy or Dr Travis.

Unfortunately, there are some things they cannot ever tell Dr. Petersen or Dr. Travis -- specifically, that Gideon killed Nathan. That opens huge legal risks that the therapists might be duty bound to break patiently confidentiality themselves and report the crime to the police -- or -- a prosecutor might ask a judge to order one or both of the doctors to testify.

I hope Gideon and Eva can go back to Dr. Petersen to resume treatment, obviously though keeping the truth about Nathan's death secret. Gideon needs individual therapy now more than ever, and the pair of them need help in breaking the dysfunctional patterns that time and time again have torn them apart.

I wonder if Gideon was forming a plan to lure Nathan to NY so he could "take care" of him..!!

I would be surprised if Gideon lured him to New York. It would put Eva in serious peril from attack/ further rape or worse she would wind up dead.

I'm sure Gideon would have had Nathan followed once he knew of his whereabouts.

Gideons ultimate goal, was to keep Eva safe at all costs.

Unfortunately, there are some things they cannot ever tell Dr. Petersen or Dr. Travis -- specifically, that Gideon killed Nathan. That opens huge legal risks that the therapists might be duty bound to break patiently confidentiality themselves and report the crime to the police -- or -- a prosecutor might ask a judge to order one or both of the doctors to testify.

I hope Gideon and Eva can go back to Dr. Petersen to resume treatment, obviously though keeping the truth about Nathan's death secret. Gideon needs individual therapy now more than ever, and the pair of them need help in breaking the dysfunctional patterns that time and time again have torn them apart.

I know that their secret is one that will go to the grave with them and Angus. But they still need help.

It's ironic how one reporter with an obvious ax to grind firmly believes Gideon used Eva to manipulate Corrine, his goal to get Corrine to come back to him for good. The truth is Gideon is using Corrine to manipulate the media as a whole, his goal being to make the cops go away so that he and Eva can be together forever.

Poor Gideon.

I thought this was so touching too LN. I can't help but wonder how much they will struggle in this one. Yes Gideon did everything "for" Eva, but she is going to have a difficult time with "emotionally" trusting him again. I can't say that I blame her. Eva knows he doesn't want anyone but her, BUT he has been careless with her emotionally and that will stay with her for a long time.

Poor Gideon.

I loved that too. It had me on the verge of crying. It proved Gideon could be 100% selfless in his love for Eva and put her before his own need and want for her. Gideon understandably thinks Eva should be terrified of him and she is emotionally and mentally but not physically. Gideon and Eva know Gideon 's very capable of violence even though he would never harm Eva on purpose.Although in his nightmares he has come close but he can' t help that and took precautions to make sure it didn't happen again. I personally think Gideon is a little to focused on the physical side of Eva's well being and needs to consentrate on making amends for the emotional and mental abuse she suffered through due to his actions.

I loved that too. It had me on the verge of crying. It proved Gideon could be 100% selfless in his love for Eva and put her before his own need and want for her. Gideon understandably thinks Eva should be terrified of him and she is emotionally and mentally but not physically. Gideon and Eva know Gideon 's very capable of violence even though he would never harm Eva on purpose.Although in his nightmares he has come close but he can' t help that and took precautions to make sure it didn't happen again. I personally think Gideon is a little to focused on the physical side of Eva's well being and needs to consentrate on making amends for the emotional and mental abuse she suffered through due to his actions.

I agree. He has got to be patient and earn her trust again. With all their baggage and now Nathan's murder, they are going to have to work a lot harder at their relationship. Also with what's coming in future chapters, I'm going grey here just thinking about them, they need to communicate. Are you listening Gideon!

OK - my lame comment about 8:30 this am was about 10 pages late.  LOL  

Comments coming in so fast had to go back to and read 18 pages of comment to catch up .........  All that aside, I think we all have a pretty good idea where we're going on June 4th :)

And I can just say when the book is out trying to keep up with the comments will be a full time job ......  LOVE IT   

And we still have 7 more Snapshots to drive us insane