Entwined With You- Chapter One

Deanna is, however, exposing herself to a huge legal risk if she does in fact smear Gideon's reputation by getting serious dirt on him. Because she is motivated by malice. One false step, and she opens herself to being utterly destroyed by being found guilty of libel.

As long as every word she prints is true, Gideon's can't touch her. But if she gets something wrong, and he can prove it, it's a slam dunk to nail her for libel.

If you ladies can stand one more mini-lesson in media law in the United States.

Ordinary, every day people have a much higher degree of protection against news stories that contain untrue information about them. If an untrue story runs that seriously harms an ordinary person runs, he/she can sue for libel, and has a halfway decent chance of succeeding -- even if the false story is simply because the reporter screwed up.

Public figures, however, give up a great deal of protection against the media. By putting themselves in the spotlight, they've put themselves in a place where the media's going to be paying attention to them. And because reporters are human who make mistakes, there will be stories that contain false information. Sometimes the information could even harm the celebrity.

However, if it's a case where the reporter honestly made a mistake, then a public figure can't successfully win a libel case against that reporter and/or his/her news organization. The legal concepts -- and this is the exact way it's phrased -- is "absence of malice." Absence of malice is an absolute defense against lawsuits brought by public figures. And it is the plaintiff, not the news organization that has the burden of proving malice. In other words, the news organization doesn't have to prove itself innocent of malice -- the plaintiff must prove the reporter guilty.

If Deanna screwed up, Gideon could easily prove malice. She'd be in deep, deep trouble, as would be any news organizations that ran her false reports. Gideon could actually dismantle them through civil lawsuits.

Thanks.  I remember when Carol Burnett went after the National Enquirer and won.  She knew it was going to be an uphill battle but decided they needed to stop spreading lies and rumors just to hurt her because she was famous.  I believe her success has served a precedent for other successful cases.   It is possible that Gideon will have a showdown with Deanna. 

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was so touching too LN. I can't help but wonder how much they will struggle in this one. Yes Gideon did everything "for" Eva, but she is going to have a difficult time with "emotionally" trusting him again. I can't say that I blame her. Eva knows he doesn't want anyone but her, BUT he has been careless with her emotionally and that will stay with her for a long time.

All along, he's known his inexperience and his own set of issues was going to cause him to mess up sometimes. The day they became a couple, he asked Eva to cut him slack during his learning curve. As things progressed and they hit rough spots, he kept asking her (sometimes begging her) to tell his what it is he'd done wrong and what he needed to do to make things right. Unfortunately, far too many times she pulled a runner rather than talk things out.

So now there is hope. Because when they met in her bedroom as Entwined opened, she told him he was wrong for the way he cut her off. He tried to change the subject, but she wouldn't let him -- she demanded to know whether she still was cut out, and whether or not this was permanent. He got it. More importantly, he already knew what he had to do to make things right: give her back her freedom to make choices. He even gave her the option to choose to end things forever. He was done trying to control her, because he saw the terrible damage it caused.

LN Cronan, on 08 May 2013 - 09:28, said:snapback.png

On another subject, one of the things that touched me most deeply about what Gideon said to Eva in Chapter One is his willingness to let her go now. He didn't want her to spend the rest of her life afraid of him if she honestly believed he was a violent person. She suffered enough being afraid of Nathan. He was promising no more trying to manipulate her emotions, to chase after her, to try to force her to take him back for the upteenth time.

He was willing to spend the rest of his life without her, even though it would kill him, rather than try to force her to stay with him.

Poor Gideon.

I thought this was so touching too LN. I can't help but wonder how much they will struggle in this one. Yes Gideon did everything "for" Eva, but she is going to have a difficult time with "emotionally" trusting him again. I can't say that I blame her. Eva knows he doesn't want anyone but her, BUT he has been careless with her emotionally and that will stay with her for a long time.

I loved that part too.  It shows how much Gideon loves Eva.  Even though he has made a lot of mistakes in their relationship he only has her interests at heart.  Now I think he is going to start moving forward and acting more as partners.  I hope! I hope!

I think they are still going to make mistakes because this serious relationship and trusting thing is so new to both of them.  I have a feeling that they will talk it through more readily now because they are both aware what they did wrong in the past and they don't want to lose each other.

At this point in the story I'd rather have Eva use her Krav Maga on Deanna instead of Chris JR!!! LOL

We're all fantasizing about a literal cat fight (a physical altercation) because of how well our heroine has held up during two figurative cat fights (Magdalene and Corrine.) Even though Magdalene won the first one, Eva landed some good verbal blows. As for Corrine, it was no contest - Eva won that one hands down. Can we go three-for-three Blonde versus Brunette - Eva versus Deanna?

All along, he's known his inexperience and his own set of issues was going to cause him to mess up sometimes. The day they became a couple, he asked Eva to cut him slack during his learning curve. As things progressed and they hit rough spots, he kept asking her (sometimes begging her) to tell his what it is he'd done wrong and what he needed to do to make things right. Unfortunately, far too many times she pulled a runner rather than talk things out.

So now there is hope. Because when they met in her bedroom as Entwined opened, she told him he was wrong for the way he cut her off. He tried to change the subject, but she wouldn't let him -- she demanded to know whether she still was cut out, and whether or not this was permanent. He got it. More importantly, he already knew what he had to do to make things right: give her back her freedom to make choices. He even gave her the option to choose to end things forever. He was done trying to control her, because he saw the terrible damage it caused.

Agreed. He now as to let her be herself. She needs control as much as he does because of their pasts. As they say, they are mirror images. He would lose her otherwise. I'm sure my heart missed a beat, when he said he would let her go. I was screaming in my head, NO!!! They both cant give each other up. Like Eva said, she needs him like she needs her heart to beat. Sigh!

We're all fantasizing about a literal cat fight (a physical altercation) because of how well our heroine has held up during two figurative cat fights (Magdalene and Corrine.) Even though Magdalene won the first one, Eva landed some good verbal blows. As for Corrine, it was no contest - Eva won that one hands down. Can we go three-for-three Blonde versus Brunette - Eva versus Deanna?

Our poor girl is a bit outnumbered here. Is it a requirement to be a brunette in New York? Lol

Just like her mother drove herself (and Eva) crazy with efforts to try to control Eva physically (control her environment in order to stop anyone else from harming her) Gideon had, during the whole push-Eva-away been trying to control her emotionally (keep her at a safe distance for however long he needed her to wait for him.)

Dr. Petersen had to remind Monica that Eva needs her boundaries and a sense of control over her own life, things Nathan had brutally taken from Eva during those four years he victimized her.

Hopefully, Eva can tell Gideon "Listen, I'm going to tell you what Dr. Petersen told my own mother ...... get it?!"

How are we figuring Victor is going to figure into all this. He was just visiting Eva and now he'll be back again. Has he gone home and immediately started to research Nathan?

How are we figuring Victor is going to figure into all this. He was just visiting Eva and now he'll be back again. Has he gone home and immediately started to research Nathan?

Oh you can bet your bottom dollar, as soon as his plane touched down, Victor was on the job. I think he will be back quite quickly to protect his girl. He will want answers. I'm actually surprised he went home. He could call in a few favours, I'm sure to find out about Nathan. Will he find out Eva's secret though?

Wow, i wasn't gone that long....but i had to read 3 pages of comments. lol

Just want to say all you ladies rock! I'm so glad i can come on here and have people who as into this story as i am!

I agree it is going to take Eva some time to emotionally trust Gideon again. However, i think they will work through this and everything else because they can't live without one another. They are truly soul mates, who need to learn how to trust one another.

Oh you can bet your bottom dollar, as soon as his plane touched down, Victor was on the job. I think he will be back quite quickly to protect his girl. He will want answers. I'm actually surprised he went home. He could call in a few favours, I'm sure to find out about Nathan. Will he find out Eva's secret though?

He will find out Eva's secret.   Whether it's in this book or #3.   SD keeps on introducing new characters - maybe she will use it on one of them but I believe it will be Chris Jr.   I was at breakfast with one of my friends and she started laughing about obsessesed I am.  Her sister in law is too.

Monica said the records are open now that Nathan is dead.  I'm sure Victor will find them and be furious.  I suspect he will also figure out that Gideon had a hand in Nathan's death.  In my opinion Victor will appreciate that he protected his daughter.  I'm sure Graves, et. al.  will share with him what they found in Nathan's apartment.  Victor will know that Nathan planned on killing Eva.  I know murder isn't the answer but I would kill to protect my child especially after what she lived through. 

I have just sat and re- read chapter 1 again.

Up to now it's been Eva's story, her pov. I was thinking about it from Gideons perspective. We know how badly Eva is hurting, all the indescribable pain she as suffered over the past few weeks, the humiliation that Gideon put her through. But think about it from Gideons pov.

Can you imagine how he felt, being so cruel, cold and heartless to the woman he loves. Yes, he went about it all wrong, but he thought he was doing what was right for Eva .

To see her daily, having to ignore her as if she didn't exist. This poor man, who loves the woman with all his heart, this already broken man, he was hurting as much as Eva.

I have just sat and re- read chapter 1 again.

Up to now it's been Eva's story, her pov. I was thinking about it from Gideons perspective. We know how badly Eva is hurting, all the indescribable pain she as suffered over the past few weeks, the humiliation that Gideon put her through. But think about it from Gideons pov.

Can you imagine how he felt, being so cruel, cold and heartless to the woman he loves. Yes, he went about it all wrong, but he thought he was doing what was right for Eva .

To see her daily, having to ignore her as if she didn't exist. This poor man, who loves the woman with all his heart, this already broken man, he was hurting as much as Eva.

Very true. Its going to take some time and communication on both their parts to restore the trust and heal their broken hearts.

No doubt it's definitely gonna come down to blows between those two girls and who could really blame Eva - I think she's just tired of being fu$&ed over by everyone in her life even people that claim to love her so Deanna better just watch out !!

No.. Only because like SD said can you imagine One without the other.!! Trial.. Maybe..!!

I was saying on another thread that if Gideon did stand trial it might be for the best because he could be found innocent by a jury because of reasonable doubt due to lack of physical evidence. Then could never be re- tried ( even if the cops did find concrete proof Gideon killed Nathan after the trial) for Nathan's murder because that would be double jepoardy. Thats one way for Gideon to get away with murder and never having worry about the cops still trying to arrest him.

I was saying on another thread that if Gideon did stand trial it might be for the best because he could be found innocent by a jury because of reasonable doubt due to lack of physical evidence. Then could never be re- tried ( even if the cops did find concrete proof Gideon killed Nathan after the trial) for Nathan's murder because that would be double jepoardy. Thats one way for Gideon to get away with murder and never having worry about the cops still trying to arrest him.

AGREED..!! :)

I wonder if it could be a mis trial due to detective graves tricking Eva .

Maybe the snapshot with the detective badge is that detective graves has to hand her badge in because of misconduct trying to trick Eva .

I wonder if it could be a mis trial due to detective graves tricking Eva .

Maybe the snapshot with the detective badge is that detective graves has to hand her badge in because of misconduct trying to trick Eva .

A mis trial wouldn't solve much the DA could always re file charges at a later date if new evidence were discovered. I doubt Graves would lose her job over trying to trick Eva police are allowed to lie and mis lead suspects and witnesses to try and trip up and catch people in lies. Sure a lawyer could argue entrapment but those cases hard to prove that the cop crossed the line from moral grey area to illegal.