Entwined - A Chapter A Day Discussion (contains spoilers)

I'm also now thinking about the exact thing Magdalene told Eva when gossiping about what Gideon told her (Maggie) about Corrine.

"He's told Corrine that it's best if they remain long-distance friends, rather than social ones. But I suspect you already know that." (page 82)

I read into that three things:

1. Gideon urged Corrine to go back to her husband in France.
  2. Gideon made clear he no longer would in-person socialize with Corrine anymore.
  3. Maggie correctly guessed why Gideon no longer would go near Corrine (where the risk was he might be get photographed). Gideon must be trying to get Eva back - had in fact already made some sort of overture to Eva.

I think Maggie was as much checking out her hunch, when she immediately went from Gideon's office to Eva's, as Maggie was double-checking that Eva wasn't still so hurt by his having been taking out Corrine that she rejected any gestures of reconciliation -- and worse, was a scorned woman out to get even by helping Deanna Johnson.

Gotta love Megumi's crack afterward. She'd been hoping for an Eva-Maggie catfight. But there was "No scratching or hissing." (page 83). Love this!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also now thinking about the exact thing Magdalene told Eva when gossiping about what Gideon told her (Maggie) about Corrine.

"He's told Corrine that it's best if they remain long-distance friends, rather than social ones. But I suspect you already know that." (page 82)

I read into that three things:

• Gideon urged Corrine to go back to her husband in France.
  • Gideon made clear he no longer would in-person socialize with Corrine anymore.
  • Maggie correctly guessed why Gideon no longer would go near Corrine (where the risk was he might be get photographed). Gideon must be trying to get Eva back - had in fact already made some sort of overture to Eva.
I think Maggie was as much checking out her hunch, when she immediately went from Gideon's office to Eva's, as Maggie was double-checking that Eva wasn't still so hurt by his having been taking out Corrine that she rejected any gestures of reconciliation -- and worse, was a scorned woman out to get even by helping Deanna Johnson.

Gotta love Megumi's crack afterward. She'd been hoping for an Eva-Maggie catfight. But there was "No scratching or hissing." (page 83). Love this!

Another clue for Magdalene that Gideon and Eva had reconciled was the black magic roses in Gideon's office that day. The last time (that we know of) Maggie was in Gideon's office, she was eating lunch surrounded by Eva's flowers.

Another clue for Magdalene that Gideon and Eva had reconciled was the black magic roses in Gideon's office that day. The last time (that we know of) Maggie was in Gideon's office, she was eating lunch surrounded by Eva's flowers.

Ah hah!!! Excellent point!!! The time Gideon had Maggie to lunch at his office so he could show her the Christopher sex tape in privacy, there were three separate floral arrangements, obviously sent by Eva, who, the last time Maggie had seen was a few days earlier engaged in hot make-up sex with Gideon in the middle of his parents' library.

It's possible -- I say likely -- that Maggie visited Gideon in his office sometime during those "W T F Is Going On About Corrine" weeks -- he's dating Corrine, but looks like h e l l to anyone who knows him well enough personally to be able to see the guy was in pain. Eva was nowhere to be found. Maggie may have concluded Corrine succeeded in driving Eva off, and Maggie might have tried to talk some sense into Gideon. No flowers to be seen in his office then.

Maggie definitely paid Gideon a visit for a reason on the Friday of Entwined Ch. 6 for "W T F Is Going On About Deanna". Gideon looks happier than he has in weeks, he confirms Corrine is out of his social circle -- and there's flowers in his office. No wonder she went to check out her hunch he and Eva were in contact again.

I love how attentive Gideon is in this chapter.

He will not put the moves on Eva, until he knows she is feeling better and in the right frame of mind, after her blow out with the vortex(Monica ).

We have Deanna, who's like a dog with a bone, not taking no for an answer. Eva finds out that Gideon is being sued by Ian, part of the orgy scene from Reflected, who Gideon hit. Plus the fight with Brett, and did Gideon have anything to do with Carys beating.

Deanna asks Eva if she was afraid of Gideon, being in an abusive relationship.

Twice now Gideon has asked Angus to remove Eva when a situation has got ugly concerning Gideon fighting. Gideon doesn't want Eva to see him in this situation.

"I'll do anything for you. There are no limits in our bed. No memories. Just us. You and me. And love. I love you so much." Eva now wants to erase Hugh's touch and replace it with good memories. "I own your pleasure," I whispered into his mouth. "I'll take it if you won't give it to me"

He growled, his head falling back. "Make me come."

"Any way you want," I vowed.

The lines are honest and real. It has been the one thing between these two that have never included lies between either of them.  Good choice Jennpenn926.

Hi Everyone,

Is it just me or is anyone irked by Magdalene.  Everyone says that she wants to be a good friend to Gideon but she never listens to a word that he says.  Every time she has visited Gideon at Crossfire, he has always asked her to stay away from Eva, yet she can’t seem to help herself.  She always visits a woman that she was absolutely nasty to. 

Really what is Magdalene’s deal?  Why does she have such a urge to be friends with Eva?  She will never have a chance with Gideon and really she couldn’t care less about Eva so what’s the deal?  I seriously don’t think that Magdalene has seen the light.  What does everyone think?

Hi Rogue, 

I don't think that Magdalene's visits are altruistic in nature.  I think that she may be up to something.  Magdalene never respects Gideon's wishes and she has popped in unannounced on Eva on more than one occassion.  Eva and Magdalene aren't friends so what's the deal there?  What do you think? 

I was just making the observation that Gideon says one thing and means another.   Like when answering Dr. Peterson about his sex life, then about the not mas***te, then stroking everyday in the shower....contradictions in terms and actions.  Like saying we didn't break up, but then starting "dating" Corine....

Hi Jmhope, 

You are correct.  Gideon is full of contradictions. That's what makes his character so complex and sometimes perplexing.

I think Magdalene has seen the light finally. I think part of her reason for talking to Eva that day was to warn her about Deanna and gauge how she would handle her.

But I think a large part of it was her trying to make amends with Eva by telling her Corinne was out of the picture.

I think she realises that Gideon wants Eva and will eventually get her, and if she wants to continue her friendship with him she needs to become friends with Eva.

Magdalene has known Gideon a long time and if she truly loves him she wants what is best for him. Because of the length of their friendship she knows he has never been happier than when he is with Eva.

Gideon is a self professed Dominant. But he admits that with most women he took the f.uck pad he only got them off using toys etc. (Now usually the defintion of a Dominant is person who dominants sexual situations to ensure they recieve their pleasure on their terms) Many dominants use humiliation and degradation as part of their sexual fanasties. And Gideon did degrade and humiliate after the fact by turning "iceman" on the women he had relations with.

Now with all of that said. Yes, Gideon is a dominant but not in the traditional sense of the term. Gideon pleasured himself to remain in control because he lost that control due to his abuser. He stated that his abuser made him come everytime so he could say Gideon liked it. So Gideon wanted only to make the women come so he could say he didn't lose control of himself and while remaining in control of them. Because when you are about to have an o.rgasm you do kinda lose your mind and control. But with Eva even though he's the dominant person in the bed he is not Dominant because he does allow himself to lose control and enjoy her.

Hi Jennpenn926, 

You make a good observation.  I think that they are both equals in beds.  Yes Gideon has dominance over Eva, but Eva has just as much dominance over Gideon.  Several of the love scenes seem to reflect that.  What do you think?

I think the main difference between Corinne and Magdalene is that Magdalene knows who Gideon really is. They've been friends for a long time and she knows and loves the real man.

Corinne is in love with a figment of her imagination, whether its because of their sexual relationship or not I don't know. But Corinne doesn't know the true Gideon. She hears what she wants to hear when he speaks, she doesn't understand his true character because if she did she'd have realised a long time ago that he never really loved her.

Corinne has been married for X years to JFG, a man who truly loved her, yet in her head he doesn't love her at all.

She doesn't see what's right in front of her face and I'm starting to think she never has. Maybe I was wrong before, maybe she is delusional.

chpater-seven.jpg

On we go with our deep-dive into one chapter per day. How it works:

1. We're trying to avoid mentioning anything that happens beyond today's chapter. The idea behind sticking to just the chapter -- plus anything coming before it -- is that fans still reading the novel can start talking about early chapters without coming across stuff from later in the book they haven't read for themselves yet, stuff that might spoil surprises of what's to come - "spoilers".
  2. Pick a favorite quote or paragraph -- oh h e c k pick plenty: it's so hard to choose sometimes. Sylvia started the pick a quote (or paragraph) system when she started the group effort to re-read one chapter per day of Bared to You and Reflected in You.
  3. Have fun!!! (That's the real easy part!)

Hello my little friend

I know what you mean. This woman has used Eva's guilt against her. It's always woe is me, where Monica is concerned. And Stanton lets her, as does Eva too.

Eva must feel everyone wants a piece of her. Poor girl.

I was glad though Julie that Eva stood up to her mum and Stanton and basically told Stanton to stop being such a wimp when it came to standing up to her mum, way to go girl :)

Various thoughts on Chapter 6 -- one I especially enjoyed

Eva trying more sexual healing of Gideon

• In Chapter 5, through role play she gave Gideon a taste of what it would be like to be a regular 20-something guy having a new girlfriend over to his place for the very first time -- just how lucky will he get? How far will she let him go the first time she visits his apartment?
  • In Chapter 6, she tried with Gideon a very similar tactic he used with her way back in early Reflected in You, when she had one of her Nathan rape nightmares. Asking him to help "wash it away" they had a sexual encounter in her shower, with him being extra cautious to avoid triggering her. Here in the bathtub scene in Entwined, the roles are reversed with her "washing it away" and being extra cautious in what she's doing to him sexually.

New Magdalene

• It's clear that when Magdalene went to see Gideon over Deanna sniffing around, Magdalene expressed worries to Gideon that Deanna might be sniffing around Eva too. Gideon told Maggie to steer clear of Eva, but New Magdalene went right downstairs to talk to Eva anyway. Because Maggie all along has been on Team Gideon and has got his back -- she wasn't going to take his Control Freak Caveman I-Got-This for a final answer.
  • It's obvious, too, that Maggie plied Gideon for information on What's-The-Deal-With-Corrine? Maybe word there was trouble in Corrine Paradise already got back to Magdalene? Sure enough, Gideon revealed to Maggie that he'd already "dumped" Corrine - he'd told Corrine ... it's best if they remain long-distance friends, rather than social ones." (page 82)
  • Here's where I wanted to pump a fist in the air and say "Yes, I like Magdalene after all!!!" Because Maggie went straight to Eva with that hot piece of gossip. If Magdalene truly were out for herself, she'd have decided "Eva's history, now Corrine is history -- here's my shot."
  • It's obvious Maggie has figured out Gideon does love Eva -- and because Maggie genuinely cares for Gideon's happiness, she's willing to see him with Eva. So to help get them back together, Maggie slipped key gossip to Eva about Corrine -- did so in a way that was getting Gideon off whatever hook he might be on as far as Eva goes.

Spy stuff

• Monica secretly planted a tracking device bug in a cosmetic container Eva was sure to carry around in a purse
  • Gideon openly is tracking Eva via the burner phone she is sure to carry around in her purse
  • When Gideon had Raul set up the apartment next door to Eva's, high tech jamming devices were included to prevent the place from successfully being bugged.
  • How much you want to bet that the same Wednesday that Raul was setting up Gideon's apartment (while Eva was at work and Cary was hours from being sent home from the hospital) Gideon had Raul install listening bugs, maybe even hidden cameras, in Eva's apartment. The opportunity would have presented itself when the home medical equipment for Cary was brought in.
  • The reason Gideon positioned himself next door to Eva that week was so that he could get to her quickly if Nathan suddenly showed up anywhere near her apartment. Why wouldn't Gideon take the precaution of being able to hear and see what was going on next door -- in case of emergency? Sure, technically Nathan would have to get past the doorman and downstairs desk -- but what if the sicko managed to sneak in?
  • So the question is -- if Gideon bugged Eva's place, how long did he keep the bugs active after Nathan was dead? Did he check them still -- now because it was the only way he could see/hear her, check up on how hard of a time she was having .... make sure she wasn't bringing guys home (Martin Stanton, and of course, Brett Kline)?

Standing up to Monica

• I loved it that New Eva, who has been demanding straight answers from Gideon, now is demanding straight answers from Monica too.
  • I think it was huge progress, too, for Eva to walk away from her mother, who was trying her old tactic of throwing an emotional fit to make Eva back down. Eva was having nothing of it -- she was furious, and she wasn't going to let Monica cry her way out of it this time.
  • I saw it too as a sign Eva really does finally feel she no longer has to look over her shoulder anymore, no longer has to worry about Nathan coming after her. So she no longer has to endure Monica's over-reactions and serious stunts regarding her (Eva's) physical security.

I have to disagree with you LN on Gideon bugging Eva's place, he knows how freaked out she get's with the tracking her mum does and the burner phone being able to be tracked so I don't feel he would jepordise upsetting her by bugging her home, I think that would be a step too far and something she would probably not forgive him for

Ok random thing that has been bugging me with Angus and Gideon and Eva

Early on Gideon tells Eva he has given her a burner phone so that is she needs to get to him she can use the phone and get through to Angus who will get a message to her, which was apparent when she got the flowers to Gideon via Angus.  Well did things change as later on in the book you read Eva texting Gideon and Gideon texting/calling Eva on this phone, what was Angus doing, did he have to run up to Gideon's office everytime a text came in or did he just forward the text to Gideon's burner phone.

Did Angus leave the burner phone with Gideon during the working day or at night, sorry it has just been bugging me :)

Snapshot #7 really stumped me when it came out two months ago. Well played, Sylvia, well played indeed. It was a lot of fun spinning theories here in the weeks (actually the months) leading up to Entwined being published, because as clever as some of us got at times, the author proved more clever still. I hope some of the more cockamamie conspiracy theories got her laughing.

Of my own set of theories that fell under the cockamamie heading, the biggest one had been my fear that the pain medication Cary had to take after the beating tipped him back into active drug addiction. Because the last time the medication topic came up in Reflected, Eva had brought home a bottle of non-alcoholic champagne and specifically reminded Cary, "Can't mix your meds with booze, you know." I thought it was a red flag.

What I never saw coming was that Jean-Francois Giroux (and thus by extension, Corrine) owned a French winery, La Rose Noir (in English, The Black Rose). Thank God, though, this snapshot (all of the snapshots actually) were symbolic, not literal. It used a symbolic picture of roses and wine. Can you imagine how nuts this forum would have gone in early April if those roses were black roses instead of generic red ones? I know I would have started going down a possible list of which character(s) died.

There are four roses in the vase -- three of them clustered together on one side and the fourth on its own. The three representing the existing Eva-Gideon-Corrine love triangle from Bared and Reflected, and the fourth representing Jean-Francois entering the picture as odd-man-out?

The bottle is newly opened and the glass contains just enough for the traditional move of sniffing and then tasting the wine. Ties to what Eva asked Gideon on page 97, "When do I get to try the wine?"

And making a big stretch here -- "cork out of the bottle" stretching to the expression "cat out of the bag" -- Gideon letting the cat out of the bag to Eva about him not only going into business with JFG -- and even more significant -- Gideon letting the cat out of the bag to JFG he (Gideon) is seriously involved with a woman, but that woman most certainly was NOT Corrine (let JFG fill in the blank Gideon must mean Eva.)

I think Magdalene has seen the light finally. I think part of her reason for talking to Eva that day was to warn her about Deanna and gauge how she would handle her.

But I think a large part of it was her trying to make amends with Eva by telling her Corinne was out of the picture.

I think she realises that Gideon wants Eva and will eventually get her, and if she wants to continue her friendship with him she needs to become friends with Eva.

Magdalene has known Gideon a long time and if she truly loves him she wants what is best for him. Because of the length of their friendship she knows he has never been happier than when he is with Eva.

I agree

In hindsight, I wonder just how far back in the story Magdalene first starting making amends to Gideon for having been such a b**** to Gideon's new girlfriend -- and who all along was keeping Gideon's best interests in mind?

Timeline:

1. Saturday night: Gideon and Eva's first date, the advocacy center event, where Magdalene was there too. When Magdalene got her first look at Eva, Gideon already was on his head trip and being a cold jerk. Magdalene guessed correctly he'd already f***** Eva. Think about his long history of immediately throwing sex partners onto the reject pile coupled with how he was treating Eva at the event itself. The man even ditched Eva to leave early by himself. That was bad. What else was Magdalene going to assume, but that he was done with Eva and was already trying to avoid Eva. So Magdalene attacked Eva. Sure, part of the motive was obviously Maggie being mad that Eva and not herself got to be Gideon's date that night. But what if Magdalene also was doing her friend  Gideon a service by trying to run off Eva so that Eva didn't start stalking Gideon at social gatherings like Anne Lucas had done?
  2. Monday lunchtime: Gideon convinced Eva to become his full-fledged girlfriend. During lunch, Eva told him exactly what Maggie had snarked to her. Gideon immediately chilled (sign of him getting mad) and promised he'd take care of Maggie. It's safe to assume he called Maggie that afternoon, and given how scared he was about his ability to hold onto Eva, probably chewed Maggie out.
  3. Tuesday dinnertime: Gideon went to a business dinner alone while Eva kept her promise to have a pizza night with Cary and Cary's new boyfriend, Trey. Maggie ran into him at the restaurant and they talked outside afterward -- him about Eva, and Maggie looking pleased (Happy for him? Having already apologized to him on Monday and had her apology accepted?) Some paparazzi got a shot of them together on the sidewalk, though, looking friendly and the next day, there was gossip speculation about an Eva-Gideon-Maggie love triangle.
  4. Wednesday lunchtime: Eva was furious he'd talked to Maggie, the woman who had been so mean to her. Meanwhile, he was paranoid about the gossip speculation of a Gideon-Eva-Cary love triangle. This is when Gideon and Eva fought in public near Bryant Park, a fight caught on video and in pictures. So that too fueled the fire.
  5. Thursday daytime: Maggie made her failed attempt to see Eva, showing up unannounced at Eva's office. Eva arranged for someone on Gideon's staff to fetch Maggie instead, and Megumi reported Maggie was furious about it. What if Maggie's real purpose had been to get Gideon off the hook about that picture of her (Maggie) and him on Tuesday night? Or what if Maggie was worried about Eva upsetting Gideon so much on Wednesday that he actually dropped his public mask and argued with a woman in public? Coincidentally, this particular Thursday was the day on which Gideon sent Eva the Dear Jane note, but there's no way Maggie would have known about it.
  6. Sunday daytime: The garden party at the Vidal estate. Maggie, longtime friend of the Vidals, was there. Eva showed up without Gideon. Then Gideon remarkably showed up, completely of character, and immediately started fighting with Eva, literally dragging her off. Maggie hoping they'd already broken up and Gideon was mad that Eva was pulling stalker stuff? But then Maggie walked in on that HAWT make-up sex in the library. And ended up weeping to Creepy Christopher that she believed Gideon was in love with Eva.
  7. Fast forward to the fundraiser Corrine crashed: Maggie immediately latched onto Eva. Was Maggie possibly trying to head off a public scene between Eva and Gideon, like Bryant Park? And when Maggie found out how clueless Eva was about Corrine, decided to forewarn Eva. Maggie was a witness to the first conversation between Eva and Corrine, the one in which Corrine already was playing mindgames. Then during dinner, Maggie sat one table over in order to eavesdrop on the entire drama unfolding at Gideon's table.
  8. Next morning: Maggie phoned Eva at work to get Gideon off the hook for his having been stupid enough to let Corrine monopolize him at dinner the night before. So Maggie was protecting Gideon. All along, he'd been trying to head off Corrine messing with Eva. Maggie also reinforced the fact that Gideon truly has been treating Eva differently than any other woman in all the long years Maggie has known Gideon. Yet more amends by Maggie for having treated Eva so badly the first time they met?

Ok random thing that has been bugging me with Angus and Gideon and Eva

Early on Gideon tells Eva he has given her a burner phone so that is she needs to get to him she can use the phone and get through to Angus who will get a message to her, which was apparent when she got the flowers to Gideon via Angus.  Well did things change as later on in the book you read Eva texting Gideon and Gideon texting/calling Eva on this phone, what was Angus doing, did he have to run up to Gideon's office everytime a text came in or did he just forward the text to Gideon's burner phone.

Did Angus leave the burner phone with Gideon during the working day or at night, sorry it has just been bugging me :)

I had those exact thoughts last night when I was reading again (for the umpteenth time).

I had those exact thoughts last night when I was reading again (for the umpteenth time).

I know doesn't it seem a bit odd that Angus has the burner phone, i know it would mean Gideon could not be caught with it but surely Angus is not sitting with Gideon all day with the phone or running up and down with it and what if Eva sent Gideon a really steamy text what would Angus think of that LOL :)