Entwined - A Chapter A Day Discussion (contains spoilers)

chapter-eight.jpg

On we go with our deep-dive into one chapter per day. How it works:

1. We're trying to avoid mentioning anything that happens beyond today's chapter. The idea behind sticking to just the chapter -- plus anything coming before it -- is that fans still reading the novel can start talking about early chapters without coming across stuff from later in the book they haven't read for themselves yet, stuff that might spoil surprises of what's to come - "spoilers". It's been working really well this week :)
  2. Pick a favorite quote or paragraph -- oh h e c k pick plenty: it's so hard to choose sometimes. Sylvia started the pick a quote (or paragraph) system when she started the group effort to re-read one chapter per day of Bared to You and Reflected in You.
  3. Have fun!!! (That's the real easy part!)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gigi,

I do get what you mean and I don't disagree. However my point was more that Magdalene understands how Gideon operates, she recognises his patterns and she understands a large part of his character. She may not know why he is the way he is, bit she gets who he is.

Corinne on the other hand, I can't figure out who she is in love with because she doesn't seem to know Gideon at all!! Its like she is in love this image in her head of who she thinks Gideon is / should be.

I agree with you here Rogue :)

I absolutely love this chapter, when their snuggled up together on the couch. Both drifting off to sleep, Gideon starts having a nightmare. She awakens him, him feeling guilty about falling asleep next to her. Eva goes to get his medication and comforter. When she asks what he was dreaming about, he says he wishes it was about her.

When asked what it would be like, Gideon replies, "it would be a cloudless day on a Caribbean beach, with a cabana on white sands" with her naked.

She continues to talk to him till he falls asleep. This was so beautiful, she loves him so much.

I absolutely love this chapter, when their snuggled up together on the couch. Both drifting off to sleep, Gideon starts having a nightmare. She awakens him, him feeling guilty about falling asleep next to her. Eva goes to get his medication and comforter. When she asks what he was dreaming about, he says he wishes it was about her.

When asked what it would be like, Gideon replies, "it would be a cloudless day on a Caribbean beach, with a cabana on white sands" with her naked.

She continues to talk to him till he falls asleep. This was so beautiful, she loves him so much.

I thought that was a very touching moment Julie :)

I love this Gideon!!

Gideon's decision (before the end of Chapter 7 and now into Chapter 8) to avoid giving Deanna any of his attention shows that at least on one level, he learned from the horrible mistake he made of giving Corrine attention. From the get go, it had been a mistake even when she was back in France, because it escalated to her calling him every day, then her chasing him in person -- and worst of all his underestimating just how viciously Corrine would set out to hurt her rival, Eva.  

But based on what Gideon overheard Deanna tell Eva on the phone in Chapter 7, Gideon now knows Deanna is prepared to be even more vicious against Eva. Deanna wants to paint Gideon as a violently jealous and abusive man, doing so at the expense of Eva by painting Eva as a s l u t -- Eva supposedly caught cheating on Gideon at least twice (the imaginary three-way with Cary and that Ian guy, and the actual truth about her getting caught in a passionate embrace with Brett.)

So Gideon also has learned from the mistake of not protecting Eva against any scorned women from his past. Gideon's already arranging to bury the whole Gideon-clocked-Ian incident via paying off the guy in return for Ian's legally-binding sworn silence; he's going to pull his rank at Vidal Records to control the Brett-Eva story. Deanna underestimated Gideon.

He's also figured out that in a way, Deanna is attempting the exact same thing Corrine actually did accomplish - to drive a wedge between Eva and Gideon. One of the ways Gideon could defuse a potential sex-tinged scandal between him and Eva would be to avoid going anywhere near her (Eva). Something that actually is backfiring horribly for Deanna, because Gideon's proposed solution (pun intended) is to make Eva his wife.

I love this chapter too, helping him deal with his nightmares instead of running from them!!

I love this chapter too, helping him deal with his nightmares instead of running from them!!

Up to now, Gideon has just tolerated the nightmares, forfeiting any kind of relationship because of them. Eva wants to help him work through them, she wants him healthy and whole again. I found this moment they had really emotional. She was so tender with him, holding him, making him feel safe.

Up to now, Gideon has just tolerated the nightmares, forfeiting any kind of relationship because of them. Eva wants to help him work through them, she wants him healthy and whole again. I found this moment they had really emotional. She was so tender with him, holding him, making him feel safe.

Totally agree with you !!!

You're right Julie! He's finally letting her in and by doing so then she'll actually have the opportunity to heal him.

The scene in Chapter 8 about what happens between Gideon and Eva when he wakes up from the nightmare is even more important when put into the context of their early history.

Background:

1. The first time Eva and Gideon ever slept alongside one another was their first night as full-fledged boyfriend/girlfriend, and he'd taken her home with him (making up to her for the f*** pad fiasco).
  2. In the middle of the night, he started to have a bad dream, the first one she ever witnessed. She woke him up, and she comforted him by trusting him enough to have unprotected sex (he didn't stock condoms any other place but the f*** pad.)
  3. Two nights later in Gideon's bed, for the second time, Eva witnesses a nightmare, but one far more serious.
  4. It was an episode of atypical sexual parasomnia, with Gideon jerking off. (He was in his role as victim instead of aggressor, apparently trying to climax as soon as possible, because in real life his abuser -- still not yet named; that's coming yet -- forced him to come every time.)
  5. Eva woke him up. Based on what little she'd heard him say in the first nightmare, she began suspecting a sexual trauma issue (she ought to know the signs). The second incident confirmed her suspicions. Earlier that night, she'd already revealed her own ugly past as Nathan's victim. She tried to get Gideon to open up about what was bothering him.
  6. Gideon claimed he couldn't remember what he was dreaming about -- and this made Eva very angry under the circumstances, that he would lie to her mere hours after she'd been so brutally honest with him. 
  7. In response, she stormed out of his place clad only in a bathrobe, taking a cab home. He believed she'd left because she was disgusted by what she'd witnessed; he didn't get it the real problem was his secret-keeping.
  8. The next day, he sent her the Dear Jane note. Their brand-new relationship fell apart (temporarily, thank goodness) only three days after it began, all because Eva thought Gideon lied when he said he didn't remember what he'd been dreaming about.

So now, months later, she learned he had told the truth back then -- he really doesn't remember, once he wakes up, what the nightmare was about.

And it's so sweet what she did for him, even sweeter than the first time she comforted him after a nightmare. She held him and talked to him until he fell asleep.

The scene in Chapter 8 about what happens between Gideon and Eva when he wakes up from the nightmare is even more important when put into the context of their early history.

Background:

• The first time Eva and Gideon ever slept alongside one another was their first night as full-fledged boyfriend/girlfriend, and he'd taken her home with him (making up to her for the f*** pad fiasco).
  • In the middle of the night, he started to have a bad dream, the first one she ever witnessed. She woke him up, and she comforted him by trusting him enough to have unprotected sex (he didn't stock condoms any other place but the f*** pad.)
  • Two nights later in Gideon's bed, for the second time, Eva witnesses a nightmare, but one far more serious.
  • It was an episode of atypical sexual parasomnia, with Gideon jerking off. (He was in his role as victim instead of aggressor, apparently trying to climax as soon as possible, because in real life his abuser -- still not yet named; that's coming yet -- forced him to come every time.)
  • Eva woke him up. Based on what little she'd heard him say in the first nightmare, she began suspecting a sexual trauma issue (she ought to know the signs). The second incident confirmed her suspicions. Earlier that night, she'd already revealed her own ugly past as Nathan's victim. She tried to get Gideon to open up about what was bothering him.
  • Gideon claimed he couldn't remember what he was dreaming about -- and this made Eva very angry under the circumstances, that he would lie to her mere hours after she'd been so brutally honest with him. 
  • In response, she stormed out of his place clad only in a bathrobe, taking a cab home. He believed she'd left because she was disgusted by what she'd witnessed; he didn't get it the real problem was his secret-keeping.
  • The next day, he sent her the Dear Jane note. Their brand-new relationship fell apart (temporarily, thank goodness) only three days after it began, all because Eva thought Gideon lied when he said he didn't remember what he'd been dreaming about.

So now, months later, she learned he had told the truth back then -- he really doesn't remember, once he wakes up, what the nightmare was about.

And it's so sweet what she did for him, even sweeter than the first time she comforted him after a nightmare. She held him and talked to him until he fell asleep.

What I also like is, now she is beginning to understand about his dreams, she is gently coaxing him to talk about how they appear to him. I like how she tends to him after one of these nightmares. In this case, talking to him till he fell asleep, previously she bathed him.

She knows about nightmares herself, but Gideons take on a different form, with him fighting back. Which poses a threat to Eva.

What I also like is, now she is beginning to understand about his dreams, she is gently coaxing him to talk about how they appear to him. I like how she tends to him after one of these nightmares. In this case, talking to him till he fell asleep, previously she bathed him.

She knows about nightmares herself, but Gideons take on a different form, with him fighting back. Which poses a threat to Eva.

I like this as well Julie, they are both experiencing new thing and are on a new road to the paths of recovery

He's even more worried now about the possibility of a whole new class of nightmare - him committing murder. What sort of violence acting out might that cause.

If he had it to do all over again, he'd still kill Nathan in order to save Eva's life. I dare say if it came down to it and someone else posed mortal peril to her, he'd use extreme force again. But the fact he saved Eva does not erase natural guilt he'd have about taking a life with his own hands. He'll have nightmares for the rest of his life involving plunging the blade into Nathan's heart.

Look at how he's felt in the past about being embarrassed later after he's been a real d*** to some women (like Deanna). It rises to the level of shame in the case of having repeatedly revenge f***** Anne Lucas.

Even worse were years of unresolved guilt so bad over not being able to give Corrine the love and the life she desperately wanted from him that he ended up blinded to the fact she was using his feelings of guilt to manipulate him.

In Chapter 8, he told Eva "Your insecurity made you blind" (to the fact he had eyes only for her). The same could be said about his insecurity made him blind to the truth about Corrine.

But as far as the guilt over having blood on his hands (literally) he'll survive it -- survive anything if he has Eva.

He's even more worried now about the possibility of a whole new class of nightmare - him committing murder. What sort of violence acting out might that cause.

If he had it to do all over again, he'd still kill Nathan in order to save Eva's life. I dare say if it came down to it and someone else posed mortal peril to her, he'd use extreme force again. But the fact he saved Eva does not erase natural guilt he'd have about taking a life with his own hands. He'll have nightmares for the rest of his life involving plunging the blade into Nathan's heart.

Look at how he's felt in the past about being embarrassed later after he's been a real d*** to some women (like Deanna). It rises to the level of shame in the case of having repeatedly revenge f***** Anne Lucas.

Even worse were years of unresolved guilt so bad over not being able to give Corrine the love and the life she desperately wanted from him that he ended up blinded to the fact she was using his feelings of guilt to manipulate him.

In Chapter 8, he told Eva "Your insecurity made you blind" (to the fact he had eyes only for her). The same could be said about his insecurity made him blind to the truth about Corrine.

But as far as the guilt over having blood on his hands (literally) he'll survive it -- survive anything if he has Eva.

You make a good point, about having nightmares for the rest of his life, regarding Nathan's murder. How will they ever sleep together with that hanging over their heads. It would be so dangerous for Eva.

You make a good point, about having nightmares for the rest of his life, regarding Nathan's murder. How will they ever sleep together with that hanging over their heads. It would be so dangerous for Eva.

When we're in our silly blood-thirsty moods here, we spin fantasies about Eva using her Krav Maga skills to kick someone's a** -- every villain or villainess in the book (in fact just yesterday, I ended up going down the road of a hospital waiting room fight between Lizzie and Eva mere moments after the fight between JFG and Gideon.)

But seriously, Eva has actually used her self-defensive skills Parker taught her once -- against Gideon. She successfully fought him off the second time he erupted into one of his aggressor-role parasomnia episodes in her bed and had actually begun assaulting her. I think the real reason for the Krav Maga in the story is that eventually, Gideon will believe that Eva won't ever be a helpless victim in bed with him. She can "stop" an assault at any time even though he's bigger and stronger and unaware of what he's doing. She's got the moves to block him even while he's still asleep. 

Sorta like her safeword "Crossfire" that can halt a sexual exploration situation if things go beyond her mental safety zone. Krav Maga  skills can halt a sexual parasomnia situation and in doing so protect her physical safety zone.

Good afternoon from Italy

It's so warm here today I could have gone to the seaside!!!

I like Chapter 8 so much, and not only for its sweet moments.

I really love how Gedeon comes to appreciate Eva's brain as well.

What kind of women did Gedeon use to hang out with up to Eva? Perhaps daddy's daughters whose only concern was landing themselves a good catch, not to mention the notorious 'ultimate prize'?

Well, the contrast with Eva's working-girl frame of mind is sharp indeed. Gedeon is almost bewildered by Eva's prompt move to deflect Deanna's scheming, but then how could he think that Eva isn't less than pretty smart?

Good afternoon from Italy

It's so warm here today I could have gone to the seaside!!!

I like Chapter 8 so much, and not only for its sweet moments.

I really love how Gedeon comes to appreciate Eva's brain as well.

What kind of women did Gedeon use to hang out with up to Eva? Perhaps daddy's daughters whose only concern was landing themselves a good catch, not to mention the notorious 'ultimate prize'?

Well, the contrast with Eva's working-girl frame of mind is sharp indeed. Gedeon is almost bewildered by Eva's prompt move to deflect Deanna's scheming, but then how could he think that Eva isn't less than pretty smart?

Good observation, Gabri.

And now I just noticed what thread this is so I can't say anything else.

It was 110 here in Phoenix yesterday! Menopause and 110 don't work!!!! I'm melting!

When we're in our silly blood-thirsty moods here, we spin fantasies about Eva using her Krav Maga skills to kick someone's a** -- every villain or villainess in the book (in fact just yesterday, I ended up going down the road of a hospital waiting room fight between Lizzie and Eva mere moments after the fight between JFG and Gideon.)

But seriously, Eva has actually used her self-defensive skills Parker taught her once -- against Gideon. She successfully fought him off the second time he erupted into one of his aggressor-role parasomnia episodes in her bed and had actually begun assaulting her. I think the real reason for the Krav Maga in the story is that eventually, Gideon will believe that Eva won't ever be a helpless victim in bed with him. She can "stop" an assault at any time even though he's bigger and stronger and unaware of what he's doing. She's got the moves to block him even while he's still asleep. 

Sorta like her safeword "Crossfire" that can halt a sexual exploration situation if things go beyond her mental safety zone. Krav Maga  skills can halt a sexual parasomnia situation and in doing so protect her physical safety zone.

Very true.

So she's not going to kick anyone else's a*se? Lol d a m n it!!

Hi Julie

I'm going to say this just once because I'd never want to read anyhting like this......

As far as a guilty conscience goes, I've always been told that you can only find some peace of mind  when you atone for what you did. Doing his time might help Gedeon a lot to overcome his guilt conscience....

Please, Sylvia, I didn't say anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good observation, Gabri.

And now I just noticed what thread this is so I can't say anything else.

It was 110 here in Phoenix yesterday! Menopause and 110 don't work!!!! I'm melting!

Hi azmich

you don't need to tell me!!!!!

What about a handsome butler who could fan us through the day?

Hi Julie

I'm going to say this just once because I'd never want to read anyhting like this......

As far as a guilty conscience goes, I've always been told that you can only find some peace of mind when you atone for what you did. Doing his time might help Gedeon a lot to overcome his guilt conscience....

Please, Sylvia, I didn't say anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Gabri. sorry I didnt mean to anger you. please forgive me.

I'm hoping that, over time Gideon will, not forget, but make some sort of peace with himself, over his actions. He took a life to save a life, Eva's life. Hopefully he can move forward.

Very true.

So she's not going to kick anyone else's a*se? Lol d a m n it!!

Oh she still might. I can see Tatiana starting a literal catfight that Eva finish in one move that'd throw Tat flat on her back.

We've got Frisky Friday, Sassy Saturday and Wild Wednesday. How about Blood Thirsty Thursday, where we indulge in fantasies of GidEva fending off villians/villianesses?

I'm going to drag Tat over to the main spoiler thread though, because otherwise we'd be jumping way far in advance beyond Chapter 8 about some plot twists involving Cary's Friend-With-Benefits.

Oh she still might. I can see Tatiana starting a literal catfight that Eva finish in one move that'd throw Tat flat on her back.

We've got Frisky Friday, Sassy Saturday and Wild Wednesday. How about Blood Thirsty Thursday, where we indulge in fantasies of GidEva fending off villians/villianesses?

I'm going to drag Tat over to the main spoiler thread though, because otherwise we'd be jumping way far in advance beyond Chapter 8 about some plot twists involving Cary's Friend-With-Benefits.

Huh!

I'm quite happy to hiss and boo from the audience. Lol

And cheer Eva on!