Entwined - A Chapter A Day Discussion (contains spoilers)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my picks from Chap. 8

1) Even dressed in boxer briefs, he seemed invulnerable. :D

2) "I'm in love with you." With everything going wrong, that was the one thing that was totally right. It was enough.:D :D

3) When I propose, angel, trust me, you'll know it. :D :D :D

Here are my picks from Chap. 8

1) Even dressed in boxer briefs, he seemed invulnerable. :D

2) "I'm in love with you." With everything going wrong, that was the one thing that was totally right. It was enough.:D :D

3) When I propose, angel, trust me, you'll know it. :D :D :D

Especially love that last line. :D.

Huh!

I'm quite happy to hiss and boo from the audience. Lol

And cheer Eva on!

May I throw some rotten vegetable at Tat's face?? Pretty please??????

Hi Gabri. sorry I didnt mean to anger you. please forgive me.

I'm hoping that, over time Gideon will, not forget, but make some sort of peace with himself, over his actions. He took a life to save a life, Eva's life. Hopefully he can move forward.

Hi Julie, I wasn't angry at all!!!!. I was just scared to say something our favourite writer on earth might chose to pick.

I clearly still have to get the hang of expressing what i feel about any topic. lol

Hi Julie, I wasn't angry at all!!!!. I was just scared to say something our favourite writer on earth might chose to pick.

I clearly still have to get the hang of expressing what i feel about any topic. lol

Gabri, you do a great job of expressing yourself, especially given that English is a second language for you. So cool that you are thinking and writing while using bilingual skills.

I sensed what you meant too, that maybe some sort of legal punishment could wash Gideon's conscience clean. I think what really needs to clear his conscience is to finally believe in his heart that what he actually did was to save the life of an innocent person (Eva) from becoming a murder victim herself. Because sooner or later, Eva would have been murdered -- even Detective Graves herself believed that to be true. And Nathan, who was a sadist, likely would have tortured her first. Most certainly would have raped her again. Probably captured it all on video. She'd have died an agonizing death.

By contrast, Nathan all things considered got a quick death. Gideon stabbed him directly in the heart, which would have quickly caused cardiac arrest.

Gideon was willing to lay down his own life figuratively if it came to that. In many states within the United States, including the state of New York, the prison sentence for pre-meditated murder (also called first-degree murder) is life without the possibility of parole. There wouldn't have been any serving a certain number of years and then getting out -- he'd have spent the rest of his life behind bars.

hi Gabri

I knew you wasn't really angry. I just tried to make light of something I had written. I don't think for one minute Sylvia would take that route. I'm sorry if my words came over wrong. I understood what you said.

Your English is really good, and you express yourself clearly. Keep it up. :)

Now back to dissecting.

:)

hi Gabri

I knew you wasn't really angry. I just tried to make light of something I had written. I don't think for one minute Sylvia would take that route. I'm sorry if my words came over wrong. I understood what you said.

Your English is really good, and you express yourself clearly. Keep it up. :)

Now back to dissecting.

I'm blowing a kiss over The Channel to lovely Chelmsford!!

I believe Clancy's line ending the chapter is quite revealing.

He says there's nothing he wouldn't do for someone he cares for, and I'd say for someone who isn't just a job.

Need I any more evidence than this to be quite positive about his involvement in the the Nathan-bracelet case?

I believe Clancy's line ending the chapter is quite revealing.

He says there's nothing he wouldn't do for someone he cares for, and I'd say for someone who isn't just a job.

Need I any more evidence than this to be quite positive about his involvement in the the Nathan-bracelet case?

I agree with you.

We have not had much to do with Clancy in the past, now we have a very telling comment from him.

Tying in the Clancy line "How far wouldn't I go?" (to keep his wife safe) to some things Sylvia herself explained to the fandom earlier this spring .... 

The very end of Reflected in You made clear "Gideon did it" as did the Entwined with You excerpt that came out months ago. But still there was some fan disbelief it actually was the case. That got put to rest in April when she definitively said in a live interview Gideon killed Nathan.

A bit of uproar ensued, and so she weighed on the topic with some interesting thoughts -- one of which was the truth that when it comes to keeping their children safe from harm, it's conceivable parents would be willing to do almost anything to save children (she herself is a parent.) That example makes a lot of sense.

Gideon is who is his, a character that walked fully formed into her amazing imagination. He did what he did because of who he is, willing to go as far as it took to keep Eva safe forever from a mortal threat that wasn't ever going to go away permanently as long as Nathan was alive. Clancy apparently is cut from the same cloth. I believe Angus is too.

Tying in the Clancy line "How far wouldn't I go?" (to keep his wife safe) to some things Sylvia herself explained to the fandom earlier this spring .... 

The very end of Reflected in You made clear "Gideon did it" as did the Entwined with You excerpt that came out months ago. But still there was some fan disbelief it actually was the case. That got put to rest in April when she definitively said in a live interview Gideon killed Nathan.

A bit of uproar ensued, and so she weighed on the topic with some interesting thoughts -- one of which was the truth that when it comes to keeping their children safe from harm, it's conceivable parents would be willing to do almost anything to save children (she herself is a parent.) That example makes a lot of sense.

Gideon is who is his, a character that walked fully formed into her amazing imagination. He did what he did because of who he is, willing to go as far as it took to keep Eva safe forever from a mortal threat that wasn't ever going to go away permanently as long as Nathan was alive. Clancy apparently is cut from the same cloth. I believe Angus is too.

I believe you have to be of that ilk, to do the job that they do referring to Angus and Clancy. Their jobs entailed possibly killing people, to keep safe others. Gideon has grown up with Angus, not knowing how his abuse was stopped or by whom, Angus must have had a profound effect on Gideon, almost saving his(Gideons) life figuratively.

Various thoughts on Chapter 8

Getting some rest:

• So sweet that Eva told Gideon a bedtime story in a way to get him to fall asleep on the couch snuggled up with her, then she stayed up all night just holding him.
  • Friday was only their third night back together. Wednesday had been practically an all-nighter, and Thursday had been only a little better.
  • Add on top of that all the sleep he'd been losing while they had been apart more than two weeks.
  • Page 106, " ... he looked so weary, with dark smudges under his eyes and deep groves framing that wickedly sensual mouth." The fact he slept in until 11 a.m. Saturday proves how overtired he'd been -- he always been the first one to wake up the mornings they did spend overnights together in their early relationship.
  • Loved her joke the next morning reminding him what he was up against the coming night (pun intended).  She had her girls' night, planning to drink too much, which makes her .
  • "Oh yeah. You'll be lucky if you can crawl out of bed tomorrow, " (Eva) warned. (page 109)

He's more worried than ever about the violent nightmares, because now he's got traumatic memories of killing a man on top of the stuff from childhood. But these past few nights, Eva consistently has taken naps with him -- baby steps, I think to rebuilding his ability to trust they can share a bedroom.

Needs to take her own advice!!!

Now they know Deanna wants to try to hurt Gideon by painting him as some guy who flies into jealous rages, beating up other men because he keeps catching Eva with them. The fake story about Eva being in a threesome with Cary and another guy. The actually true story about her in a passionate embrace with Brett.

When they talk about different public relationships strategies for defusing potential scandals threatening to erupt, Eva pointed out the usual safe strategy. "Stay away from me. That's what you'd be advised to do. Distancing yourself from the source of a scandal is Crisis Management 101."

Um, Eva, hello .... Deanna Johnson actually has an eyewitness account of you getting caught passionately kissing Brett and then Gideon trying to beat the guy up. A true story that could become a scandal. And, um, don't you think you ought to back out of the promise you made Thursday to attend that Times Square event with Brett? Hmmmm? Duh.

More blanks filled in about Nathan

• We learned in this chapter that it had been Clancy (not Gideon's people) who had been heading up surveillance of Nathan. But Clancy had miscalculated Nathan as far as Cary went -- and thus Cary paid the price.
  • So that connected the dots to the fact it was Monica that informed Gideon who Cary's assailant was, telling him that Monday morning at the hospital, which started the chain reaction that led to Gideon putting an entirely new set of plans in motion.
  • Clancy's theory about Nathan hanging out near the Crossfire that day Clancy and Monica spotted him was that Nathan was there to be seen. "Once he made himself known, he kept the pressure up. Likely, he expected to frighten you and managed to scare Mrs. Stanton instead. Effective in either case."
  • Clancy's theory about Nathan ratcheting up the pressure gibes with what Detective Graves believed was behind the beating. From Reflected, "I would say that Nathan Barker attacked Cary Taylor as a way to intimidate and threaten Gideon Cross."

Yep, most certainly effective in that case -- Gideon felt threatened. Too bad for Nathan he went too far, revealing just how kah-ray-zee and dangerous he really was. At that point, it quit being about money and secrets -- and instead became about Eva's very life.

Some favorite quotes:

Gideon in his home office, now in full-power mode having just overheard the lies (and at least one truth) Deanna was planning to spread about Eva in order to paint him as violent. "The indolent, well-pleasured male I'd eaten dinner with was gone, replaced by an urban predator who dominated his competition." -- Yikes, Gideon the Dom of the Boardroom, Not Just the Bedroom. HAWT even without a three-piece suit. Er, hotter standing there in boxer briefs, already devising a strategy to take Deanna down. Oh if she could have only seen him at that moment.

I'm just getting you back, Eva. I don't want all the time we spend together to be about what's wrong and f***** up in our lives."

"Your insecurity made you blind," (Gideon to Eva explaining why everyone else near them at the functions they attended could see but she couldn't back in the early days when she was so insecure -- Gideon was crazy about her.

Eva's refusal to accept a job doing public relations for Cross Industries, saying PR is "Too much like propaganda. At least with advertising, you know the bias right away." New Eva -- with her clothes on. She didn't go for the "I want you at Cross Industries" professional come-on like she ultimately did fall for Gideon's -- er -- opening for a pre-approved orifice a couple of months ago.

What I also like is, now she is beginning to understand about his dreams, she is gently coaxing him to talk about how they appear to him. I like how she tends to him after one of these nightmares. In this case, talking to him till he fell asleep, previously she bathed him.

She knows about nightmares herself, but Gideons take on a different form, with him fighting back. Which poses a threat to Eva.

Eva seems to instinctively know how to deal with all of Gideon's issues ;she truly is the angel he needed in his life ...

Hi Everyone,

After reading chapter 8 I wondered how Ian Hager knew that it was Gideon who punched him in the face.  During the first book, Ian was described as being out of it; his pupils were dilated and his affect was creepy yet flat.  How did Ian put two and two together?

Hi Gigi,

I do get what you mean and I don't disagree. However my point was more that Magdalene understands how Gideon operates, she recognises his patterns and she understands a large part of his character. She may not know why he is the way he is, bit she gets who he is.

Corinne on the other hand, I can't figure out who she is in love with because she doesn't seem to know Gideon at all!! Its like she is in love this image in her head of who she thinks Gideon is / should be.

Hi Rogue, 

I get it now.  Thanks for clarifying that for me.  :)

Hi Gigi Inreally never read any of the other reviews I just know I like the book and so do the others on this forum... I would love to write a review but I don't know how to go about it ...

Hi Sscrph, 

There are many different avenues of where and how to write a review.  There are several websites that allow their readers to post their reviews:

1.  www.dearauthor.com

2.  www.goodreads.com

3.  www.barnesandnoble.com

You choose which ever site that you want to, register and then write what you thought about the book.  What did you like about the book (characters, storylines, timelines, plots, scenes, language, writing styles, length of the book, etc. ) and what didn't you like about the book (same as above are just some examples). 

You might also make suggestions as to what you think might have made the book better or future books better.  All you are doing is writing about what you like and why you like it.  I hope this helps.  I hope I have understood what you were getting at.  :)

I loved how Eva tells Gideon a bed time story and sooths him to sleep. I also love how she cuddled with him all night long too.

Hi Peachies, 

I liked that too.  Eva was able to offer comfort and support to Gideon almost like a mom would to her child when they were upset by something.  What I saw during that scene was unconditional love, no sex required.  :)

Eva seems to instinctively know how to deal with all of Gideon's issues ;she truly is the angel he needed in his life ...

Hi Sscrph, 

It is clear that Eva is filling a void in Gideon's life.  It is a beautiful thing to read.  Gideon is finally getting what he has desperately needed since childhood.