The New Entwined Clues Sylvia Is Posting

LN Cronan

Detective Graves ambushed Eva at the Krav Maga studio, and Graves had her spill-the-beans talk with Eva while they sat in the bleachers. A "talking to" session that ended up slipping over the line into "questioning a witness without her lawyer" session.

Oh please, is Chapter Sixteen where my big theory plays out - that Graves screwed up so badly the prosecution forever lost the ability to use certain evidence against Gideon in court. That this is how the murder case will go away -- almost guaranteed forever go away -- very quickly. So quickly that the DA's office doesn't dare even seek to indict and arrest Gideon. Drop the case in other words.

Fingers crossed for Cross!

This is where we all go Hurrah! If that's the case. And you can do your lap of honour! :)

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detective Graves ambushed Eva at the Krav Maga studio, and Graves had her spill-the-beans talk with Eva while they sat in the bleachers. A "talking to" session that ended up slipping over the line into "questioning a witness without her lawyer" session.

Oh please, is Chapter Sixteen where my big theory plays out - that Graves screwed up so badly the prosecution forever lost the ability to use certain evidence against Gideon in court. That this is how the murder case will go away -- almost guaranteed forever go away -- very quickly. So quickly that the DA's office doesn't dare even seek to indict and arrest Gideon. Drop the case in other words.

I hope you are right LN because then Eva and Gideon would be able to drop the farce and we would have sometime before the end of EWY to see where we are going with them do to speak.

Yes, that is true. Unless and until the investigation results in an arrest, the case remains officially "unsolved" And because there is no time limit for an unsolved murder case to expire, technically it could hang over Gideon's head the rest of his life. The only way to permanently settle the matter one way or another would be a trial.

BUT ....

The prosecution has the whole burden of winning the trial. If there's little or no chance they could win -- because they don't have enough sure-fire evidence to convince a jury -- then it's just as likely the prosecution would drop the case instead of arresting Gideon and taking him to trial. The risk of bringing him to trial with insufficient evidence is too great, because if the prosecution loses, it's OH-VER forever.

If Gideon were put on trial and found not guilty by the jury, then yes, the case would be over forever. The U.S. Constitution forbids what's known as "double jeopardy." The government cannot keep charging a person with the same crime over and over and over again -- not if that person is brought to trial and the government (the prosecution) loses. If the defense loses, the defense can appeal. The prosecution cannot appeal if it loses the trial. The notorious OJ Simpson murder case is a prime example. The prosecution lost the trial -- the jury came back with "not guilty" verdicts to the murder charges. So OJ cannot ever again be charged with those two murders.

Thank you LN

What is possible here is that the prosecution has forever lost certain evidence. The permanent loss of such evidence could mean chances are slim to none the prosecution could win. Thus, the move would be to hold off on charging him, hoping that some day, they might be able to get new evidence. If that day never comes, well, the day won't ever come when they'd arrest Gideon and put him on trial. Because they just can't win.

In real life, this does happen. Police do figure out who murdered someone. But they just can't prove it, because there's not enough evidence to get a conviction. So the suspect walks free. The cops hope that some day, new evidence might make it possible to be able to bring the case to trial. But more often than not in situations like this, an arrest and trial never happen.

This is what it literally means to "get away with murder." This was Gideon's whole goal, too - to kill Nathan but to be able to get away with it by fooling the police into thinking no way did he commit the killing. Let the investigation remain "unsolved" forever. Or even if the cops did try to go after him, have enough defense ammunition in place to be able to get a not-guilty verdict at the trial.

For all I know, though, the story will play out much differently. I certainly got my guess of Snapshot #1 wrong. I'd guessed it meant Gideon and Eva would talk about his continuing to manipulate the media. Instead, a terrible new danger came up: a reporter with some sort of grudge looking to nail Gideon -- and attempting to use Eva to help do it, guessing (wrongly) Eva's got her own serious grudge against Gideon.

For all I know, though, the story will play out much differently. I certainly got my guess of Snapshot #1 wrong. I'd guessed it meant Gideon and Eva would talk about his continuing to manipulate the media. Instead, a terrible new danger came up: a reporter with some sort of grudge looking to nail Gideon -- and attempting to use Eva to help do it, guessing (wrongly) Eva's got her own serious grudge against Gideon.

If our chap thinks a quick sc*ew and some flowers will put it all right, then his going to be one disappointed bunny! Eva needs to chew his ear off big time. I reckon a lifetime of make up s* x should do it. :)

What is possible here is that the prosecution has forever lost certain evidence. The permanent loss of such evidence could mean chances are slim to none the prosecution could win. Thus, the move would be to hold off on charging him, hoping that some day, they might be able to get new evidence. If that day never comes, well, the day won't ever come when they'd arrest Gideon and put him on trial. Because they just can't win.

In real life, this does happen. Police do figure out who murdered someone. But they just can't prove it, because there's not enough evidence to get a conviction. So the suspect walks free. The cops hope that some day, new evidence might make it possible to be able to bring the case to trial. But more often than not in situations like this, an arrest and trial never happen.

This is what it literally means to "get away with murder." This was Gideon's whole goal, too - to kill Nathan but to be able to get away with it by fooling the police into thinking no way did he commit the killing. Let the investigation remain "unsolved" forever. Or even if the cops did try to go after him, have enough defense ammunition in place to be able to get a not-guilty verdict at the trial.

Alot of time there is continued pressure by the victim's family to continue to solve the case but in this case we know that will never happen...

Alot of time there is continued pressure by the victim's family to continue to solve the case but in this case we know that will never happen...

I agree. Even though there is no statue of limitations of murder in the U.S. a lot of cold cases never get solved. The NYPD would have plenty of new active cases to investigate. Plus like you said usually a cold case is only reproached if their are family members pushing for it or new evidence comes to light. Both would be unlikely in this case.

I hope you are right.  Disappointed a little that it has to wait until chapter 17 that will only leave 5 chapters (based on the # of snapshots we get) for the couple to start to go public.  

You are correct...this goes with the snippet with Brett.   Brilliant deduction Sherlock Holmes.

I kind of thought the Brett thing went with snapshot 4.  Chapter 17 has to be a few days later.  Of course it could be snapshot 4 was an invitation to the event that will happen in chapter 17.  this is so confusing.

I kind of thought the Brett thing went with snapshot 4.  Chapter 17 has to be a few days later.  Of course it could be snapshot 4 was an invitation to the event that will happen in chapter 17.  this is so confusing.

i suppose if you write them out and put them in order next to each other, wa la! Mystery solved.