One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

Lol!!

Goodnight Julie! Sweet dreams of s'mores and Henry/Gideon :)

Goodnight Julie sweet dreams ;)

Good morning ladies from a wet England .

I awoke this morning with a smile on my face. :)

A good way to start the day.

We are a day nearer the big reveal. :)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning ladies from a wet England .

I awoke this morning with a smile on my face. :)

A good way to start the day.

We are a day nearer the big reveal. :)

Good morning Julie from Sunnyish Scotland, at least there is no rain.

I started reading/listening to Bared again and went to sleep last night with Gideon's voice in my ears oh sweet dreams :)

Question for you lovely ladies.

I am listening/reading Bared to you again getting ready for 4th June and a couple of questions jumped out at me that hopefully you will have answers to

1) What made Gideon first attack Eva in her sleep - the first time he tried to rape her, they were having a nice bath, he was saying how he did not know much about his father then the attack at night - does anyone else think that Gideon talking about his dad triggered that attack.

2) The night Eva met Corrine and Corrine and Magdelena were standing talking, was it just me or did anyone else pick up that Gideon did not expect Corrine to be there and why was Magdelena and Corrine so cosy together.

This has probably been discussed before but just made me think

Sheens xx

Chapter 13 of Reflected in You - The Readers Guide

This chapter covers Tuesday (day 29 since they met and day 2 of their estrangement)

Key plot developments:

• This was the first day that Eva realized Gideon changed from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde - Gideon had been avoiding her for nearly 24 hours, and every interaction they would have Tuesday would be angry.
  • Eva found out Gideon took Corrine to dinner the night before. Eva immediately retaliated Tuesday by going out to lunch with Brett.
  • Over lunch, Brett and Eva talked about why she left. They also talked about her uncertain relationship status with Gideon. Brett asked Eva for another shot -- and refused to take no for an answer.

New characters

None in this chapter

Gideon's transformation

The last Eva had seen of her loving boyfriend was at the hospital 24 hours earlier, before he went to work. He never returned to the hospital later, nor called, nor texted. She called him around 9 p.m. Monday, but he wouldn't interrupt whatever he was in the middle of to talk with her beyond hello-and-goodbye.

So she took it upon herself Tuesday to leave the hospital for work -- and got a furious phone call from Gideon demanding to know where she was (walking to work). Angrily, he sent Angus to fetch her after Eva hung up on him.

Things went downhill from there at the office, when Eva's Google alert monitoring of Gideon uncovered what he had been in the middle of - dinner with Corrine. Photos showed the pair of them sitting close together at a front table at the very same restaurant (his friend Arnoldo's place) Gideon had taken Eva on Friday. Gideon smiled in some of the photos, and in one, Corrine had a hand resting on his forearm. Accompanying headlines proclaimed Corrine's status as former fiancee.

Just as Eva was contemplating storming up to Gideon's office to confront him, Eva found out that Brett was downstairs in the lobby asking for her.

Vindictively, Eva forwarded the photo/story links to Gideon, went straight down to the lobby to meet Brett -- and asked him to lunch.

Fast forward to Eva leaving the restaurant - Angus was waiting at the curb to fetch her back, something she found "creepy." Then Gideon had the elevator she boarded go express to the top floor, where cold as ice, he hauled her out of the elevator.

The ensuing argument was short but fierce - Eva angry about Corrine, Gideon angry Eva had gotten petty in return, Eva reminding Gideon she'd previously warned him about his having contact with his ex set the precedent for Eva having the option to see her own exes.

Eva ended the argument by telling Gideon he was making her hate him.

He let her leave, but he ordered her to eat lunch at her desk moving forward and to wait for Angus to pick her up every morning. His insistence on needing to know where she was at all times finally made her realize -- something was wrong. She tried to get Gideon to talk about it, but he coldly refused.

"I'd never been so confused. I couldn't figure out what was happening, why there was suddenly this huge gulf between us, why Gideon was so tense and angry, why he didn't seem to care that I'd had lunch with Brett. Why he didn't seem to care about anything at all." (page 234)

Only weeks later would she learned he cared very much about something - he'd found out her life was in danger. He'd freaked about her walking the street to work that morning, because Nathan could have gotten her. He was furious (and scared) she left the Crossfire with another man, because it could have triggered Nathan to go postal again. When he was furiously fighting with her, he was angry his efforts to control her every move were thwarted.

"Trust me, Eva," she thought she heard him say as the elevator doors shut.

Later, for the second night in a row, Gideon blew off coming to her at the hospital after work. She called him at home to tell him she missed him. But he told her he couldn't talk ... and then she heard murmuring in the background, realizing he wasn't alone. When she demanded to know who was there, he ended the call.

Spoiler information from Sylvia told us that he was having a meeting of his security team. Eva obviously assumed the worst, though -- he was seeing Corrine for the second night in a row, this time bringing her into his home. Returning to Cary's hospital room, Eva began sobbing.

Brett and Eva at lunch - what the conversation revealed

He wrote Golden because he hasn't been able to stop thinking about Eva since the day she disappeared from his life.

Six months with her had been the longest he'd ever been with a woman, and he's been trying to forge a deeper connection, ask her to stick around with him. In fact, he'd tried to make a statement by bringing her along with his band mates to a pool hall.

That was the night she vanished from his life -- it turned out she'd overheard him talking about -- and laughing about -- her to the band's drummer. He was full of remorse when she told him, at lunch, about why she'd left. Moreover, he was amazed that back then, she'd been desperately hung up on him.

"I want another shot with you," he told her point blank, and he brushed off the fact her boyfriend controls his record label, that she's too high maintenance for his lifestyle, that she's needy and clingy and insanely jealous.

Then he refused to believe her when she told him she was in love with Gideon, especially because he'd already gotten the sense the relationship might not be serious.

Brett vowed he wasn't going to give up, and when Eva told him there wasn't a chance, he challenged her "prove it." Brett later left his phone number for her at the Crossfire security desk. Cary wondered whether she was going to call Brett.

Re-Read a Chapter a Day -- Today is Chapter 14 of Reflected in You

This chapter covers Wednesday (day 30 since they met and day three of their estrangement) and continues to sometime before dawn Thursday (day 31).

Key plot developments

• Dr. Lucas ran into Eva at the hospital -- and took the opportunity to poison her mind against Gideon.
  • Eva sent Gideon an anguished email about how much it hurts her he's stopped spending time with her and is now spending it with Corrine.
  • In the middle of the night, Gideon let himself into her room and comforted her by making love to her for hours -- but wouldn't stay until morning.

Favorite quote or paragraph needed from each of us, for Sylvia, after we've re-read the chapter.

Question for you lovely ladies.

I am listening/reading Bared to you again getting ready for 4th June and a couple of questions jumped out at me that hopefully you will have answers to

1) What made Gideon first attack Eva in her sleep - the first time he tried to rape her, they were having a nice bath, he was saying how he did not know much about his father then the attack at night - does anyone else think that Gideon talking about his dad triggered that attack.

2) The night Eva met Corrine and Corrine and Magdelena were standing talking, was it just me or did anyone else pick up that Gideon did not expect Corrine to be there and why was Magdelena and Corrine so cosy together.

This has probably been discussed before but just made me think

Sheens xx

1. Cary was firmly convinced -- and told Eva as much -- that the stress her roller-coaster relationship with Gideon was causing her was directly responsible for the return of her own rape nightmares. She'd gone for two years without any Nathan nightmares -- but now they were back. My guess is the very same was true for Gideon -- the stress of having gone way out of his rigid comfort zone was triggering his own nightmares. He had a mild one the first night he had Eva over and a more serious one two nights later, also in his bed. Both of those nightmares involved him as victim. The next two even more serious nightmares, in which his role switches from victim to aggressor, both happened in Eva's bed. I wonder whether the stress of being in a bed completely out of his comfort zone (i.e. not his own bed nor his hotel room) were factors in why the nightmares escalated to sexual parasomnia.

2. Gideon most definitely did not expect Corrine to be there. Corrine ambushed him as well as Eva. Re: Magdalene has known Gideon a long time and their families (the Vidals and the Perezes) know one another -- Gideon's mother and Magdalene's mothers are best friends. Recent spoiler information revealed that Corrine's family knew Gideon's as well (it makes perfect sense, given that Gideon and Corrine were engaged for an entire year.) So all three families moved in the same social circles, and it makes sense Magdalene got to know Corrine back in the day when Corrine had been Gideon's girlfriend and then fiancee. I'll bet that catty b**** Corrine latched onto Magdalene the night of the fundraiser to try to ply her for inside information about Gideon and Eva, knowing that Magdalene was a longtime friend of Gideon's and probably was jealous of Eva -- all too willing to maybe become Corrine's ally. HAH!!! Magdalene sided with Gideon and Eva.

"I hate that I love you."

Gideon deserved that in the anguished email Eva sent him -- but still it had to have been shattering to read it.

Of the things he later said to her in bed, one that jumped out at me, perhaps my own "favorite" (if favorite is the right word -- we're now in the very dark part of their journey) is:

"I'm hurting too, Eva. It's killing me, too. Can't you see that?" (page 250).

Um, no Gideon, she can't see that, not even literally, because you're making love to her in the total dark, probably because you cannot bear the sight of the pain and tears in her eyes. She's going to end up assuming though it was proof you no longer can bear the sight of her body, due to the pictures Nathan showed you. And the last two times she's seen you with her eyes was the day before, figuratively and literally -- seen you cozy with Corrine in pictures of dinner for two, and seen you near the elevators of your office, angry and in her face -- and flinching when she tried to touch you.

Gideon deserved that in the anguished email Eva sent him -- but still it had to have been shattering to read it.

Of the things he later said to her in bed, one that jumped out at me, perhaps my own "favorite" (if favorite is the right word -- we're now in the very dark part of their journey) is:

"I'm hurting too, Eva. It's killing me, too. Can't you see that?" (page 250).

Um, no Gideon, she can't see that, not even literally, because you're making love to her in the total dark, probably because you cannot bear the sight of the pain and tears in her eyes. She's going to end up assuming though it was proof you no longer can bear the sight of her body, due to the pictures Nathan showed you. And the last two times she's seen you with her eyes was the day before, figuratively and literally -- seen you cozy with Corrine in pictures of dinner for two, and seen you near the elevators of your office, angry and in her face -- and flinching when she tried to touch you.

This last part of the book is so heartbreaking.

It would have been better for Eva if Gideon had never turned up at all. To think it was get it out of your system sex, was just so insulting and hurtful at best. She must have felt used, because Gideon was now back with the love of his life Corinne. Eva's self esteem must have been shot to pieces.

He was hurting because we know different. But a swift kick in the wedding tackle was in order! His deceit and callousness was unbelieveable.

It would have been better for Eva if Gideon had never turned up at all. To think it was get it out of your system sex, was just so insulting and hurtful at best. She must have felt used, because Gideon was now back with the love of his life Corinne. Eva's self esteem must have been shot to pieces.

He was hurting because we know different. But a swift kick in the wedding tackle was in order! His deceit and callousness was unbelieveable.

Agree that Gideon ought not to have turned up at all. His doing so constituted a mercy f*** -- trying to let her down easy for what was going to happen next, him staging a photograph making people (i.e. the cops) think he had become intimately involved with Corrine again.

If Gideon absolutely had to go through with crafting a public lie he was seeing Corrine again, he ought to have had the courage and decency to ask Eva for a break in their relationship. Swore to Eva he had no intention of sleeping with Corrine, but he did need some time to finally work through unfinished business. But instead, he remained involved with Eva (making love to her Wednesday, meeting her father Friday) while he had resumed dating Corrine. So in Eva's eyes, he ended up a coward and a cheater.

Agree that Gideon ought not to have turned up at all. His doing so constituted a mercy f*** -- trying to let her down easy for what was going to happen next, him staging a photograph making people (i.e. the cops) think he had become intimately involved with Corrine again.

If Gideon absolutely had to go through with crafting a public lie he was seeing Corrine again, he ought to have had the courage and decency to ask Eva for a break in their relationship. Swore to Eva he had no intention of sleeping with Corrine, but he did need some time to finally work through unfinished business. But instead, he remained involved with Eva (making love to her Wednesday, meeting her father Friday) while he had resumed dating Corrine. So in Eva's eyes, he ended up a coward and a cheater.

He really did screw up! I think he really thought Eva would just have blind faith and trust. Men can be so foolish. LOL

I listened to this whole part last night thinking the exact same thing Julie. Him showing up that Wednesday was awful. I literally felt used on Eva's behalf. Even listening to Eva in the elevator a few chapters further on as Gideon is returning her promise ring, and she is talking about him just f*cking her, and blowing his load. It was awful. Thinking about her past with Nathan, and then listening to her words, it became overwhelming. :(  Yes after reading the whole book you certainly understand everything more, but it doesn't erase how awful some of these scenes are. 

While reading all of these scene again, I can't help but wonder how Eva ever trusts him "emotionally" again. I know she loves him, but for me an emotional betrayal, is much harder to get over.

Agreed.

I agree that his plan, although premeditated, was hastily thrown together, because of Carys beating. It was a shame(not quite he right word)he didn't think it through from start to finish. He definitely forgot to engage brain.

While reading all of these scene again, I can't help but wonder how Eva ever trusts him "emotionally" again. I know she loves him, but for me an emotional betrayal, is much harder to get over.

I think emotionally, he will have to tread very carefully. Eva won't, I don't think, will forget his betrayal very quickly. But hopefully, now we have new improved Eva, things can only improve between them. As long as they are honest, open, truthful, and communicate.

The New Year's teaser, the only look we've had inside Gideon's head, reveals he would kill again to protect her -- but I believe he would never again manipulate her love for him.

He was now willing to release her forever instead of selfishly continuing to try to bind her to him, even though it would kill him to live his life without her and watch her live her life with someone else someday. Because he did not want her to live her life in fear anymore. He'd killed Nathan to save her from a life of fear. 

She convinced him, in chapter one of Entwined, she does not fear physical harm from him -- he's literally got blood on his hands, but he'd never be violent to her. But he "gets" it that emotionally, she does fear him now. With good reason. So I think he gets it that  if he has a shot at keeping her in his life, instead of losing her forever, he cannot ever again do anything to deliberately manipulate her. To attempt to control her.

The only control he gets -- willingly from her -- is in the bedroom. But when she's got her clothes on, she is her own woman.

The New Year's teaser, the only look we've had inside Gideon's head, reveals he would kill again to protect her -- but I believe he would never again manipulate her love for him.

He was now willing to release her forever instead of selfishly continuing to try to bind her to him, even though it would kill him to live his life without her and watch her live her life with someone else someday. Because he did not want her to live her life in fear anymore. He'd killed Nathan to save her from a life of fear. 

She convinced him, in chapter one of Entwined, she does not fear physical harm from him -- he's literally got blood on his hands, but he'd never be violent to her. But he "gets" it that emotionally, she does fear him now. With good reason. So I think he gets it that  if he has a shot at keeping her in his life, instead of losing her forever, he cannot ever again do anything to deliberately manipulate her. To attempt to control her.

The only control he gets -- willingly from her -- is in the bedroom. But when she's got her clothes on, she is her own woman.

Most definitely.

Apart from the bedroom, they have to be equals, he has bridges to build, to gain her trust. He not only emotionally manipulated her(Eva)

but Corinne did too. This girl was put through the wringer. It's a wonder she can trust anybody. Her mother, Gideon, and Stanton, all need chewing out by Eva. it's a good thing she has Cary.

HI from stormy Italy!!

reading through your posts is always such a treat!!!!! :)

I have two picks from Chap. 13.

The first occurs at the now customary Wednesday's lunch and it's Steven's: "I'm sure, it's tough living in the media spotlight.... But then you have to kinda expect it when you're a juggling rock stars and billionaires."

The second is Gedeon's "Don't be afraid", which really made my heart melt. 

Today I have 3 paragraphs from this desperately sad chapter.

"I want to crawl on my knees for you and beg for scraps. A touch. A kiss. One tender word. You've made me that weak. I hate myself like this. I hate that I need you this much. I hate that I'm so obsessed with you. I hate that I love you"

Tears slid in rivulets down my temples, the protective numbness I'd felt earlier falling away, leaving me exposed. I'd been withering without him, the world around me losing its vibrancy, my body hurting from its separation from his. Having him with me....touching me...was like rain in a drought. My soul unfurled for him, opening wide to soak him in. I loved him so much.

He shuddered violently, dripping sweat onto my skin, flooding me. "For you Eva ," he gasped. "Every drop." :(

Today I have 3 paragraphs from this desperately sad chapter.

"I want to crawl on my knees for you and beg for scraps. A touch. A kiss. One tender word. You've made me that weak. I hate myself like this. I hate that I need you this much. I hate that I'm so obsessed with you. I hate that I love you"

Tears slid in rivulets down my temples, the protective numbness I'd felt earlier falling away, leaving me exposed. I'd been withering without him, the world around me losing its vibrancy, my body hurting from its separation from his. Having him with me....touching me...was like rain in a drought. My soul unfurled for him, opening wide to soak him in. I loved him so much.

He shuddered violently, dripping sweat onto my skin, flooding me. "For you Eva ," he gasped. "Every drop." :(

This chapter is so difficult to get through. I hurt for both of them. I am really hoping that in EWY we get more happier moments. The majority of this book was so dark.

I'm under the impression that Gedeon handled the Nathan issue like a small child would: he rashly takes the easiest way out and removes the obstacle, regardless of the consequences people around him will have to suffer for.  His doing away with Nathan can be compared to a small child's throwing anything upsetting him out of the window. Doesn't Gedeon bother about Eva's hurt AT ALL? If so, he's not the wonderful man Eva thinks he is.

He has to grow up emotionally indeed!!! :(

I'm under the impression that Gedeon handled the Nathan issue like a small child would: he rashly takes the easiest way out and removes the obstacle, regardless of the consequences people around him will have to suffer for.  His doing away with Nathan can be compared to a small child's throwing anything upsetting him out of the window. Doesn't Gedeon bother about Eva's hurt AT ALL? If so, he's not the wonderful man Eva thinks he is.

Basically he is emotionally retarded. He abused Eva emotionally, Corinne to some extent, the brunettes he f*cked, he was as Deanna called him the Iceman.

Whatever happened to him as a child, has up to now scarred him. Hopefully Eva chipping away at him, will make him a better person.

I'm under the impression that Gedeon handled the Nathan issue like a small child would: he rashly takes the easiest way out and removes the obstacle, regardless of the consequences people around him will have to suffer for. His doing away with Nathan can be compared to a small child's throwing anything upsetting him out of the window. Doesn't Gedeon bother about Eva's hurt AT ALL? If so, he's not the wonderful man Eva thinks he is.

He is really emotionally clueless.

Basically he is emotionally retarded. He abused Eva emotionally, Corinne to some extent, the brunettes he f*cked, he was as Deanna called him the Iceman.

Whatever happened to him as a child, has up to now scarred him. Hopefully Eva chipping away at him, will make him a better person.

I agree Julie.