Entwined - A Chapter A Day Discussion (contains spoilers)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought JFG was insulting Eva's intelligence by stereotyping her a "dumb" blonde...

Hi Sscrph, 

How interesting.  I never even thought that after reading the passage.  I thought that he was nothing more than a snarky Frenchman who had lost control of his marriage (i.e. was completely clueless as to what was going on with his wife) and made himself look like a d*ck while talking to Eva. 

Chapter 18. 

I think I've read this chapter and the next more than any other in the three books thus far. 

I love this chapter because we see Eva helping Gideon deal with some of his issues.  It compares to the garden party library scent to me.  In the library Gideon helps Eva move forward from Nathan.  In this chapter Eva helps Gideon move forward from Hugh. I see this as the true beginning of Gideon’s story being told.

This chapter flows from chapter 17 with Eva still perplexed about the lunch with her mother.

Eva, Gideon are the primary character of this chapter but Angus & Erik make small appearances.

• Angus is in a good mood when Eva gets in the car. (I think he knows something.)
  • Eva calls Cary and tells him to think about moving to another apartment. (She mentioned this to Cary but she didn’t include Gideon in the original move discussion.)
  • Gideon acknowledges that Eva is concerned and offers to investigate Monica.
  • Eva reluctantly agrees.  We can see that Eva really wants the people in her life to talk to her instead of making her research their lives.  It seems to me that Eva wants her loved ones to see how much she has grown and how she wants to be included in their lives as an adult.  She feels uncomfortable with the fact that the people most important to her make her sneaky.
  • Gideon tells Eva that Giroux wants to blame Gideon for the problems in the Giroux marriage.
  • Eva is surprised that Gideon suggests divorce for the Giroux’s.  Gideon doesn’t answer directly but focuses on Eva.  (I didn’t really like that answer.  It makes me think that Gideon is still holding back from Eva.)
  • There is an interesting “shell game†that Gideon uses to make sure they aren’t followed by the press.  He doesn’t want anyone to know they are out of town.   
  • Once on the plane both Gideon & Eva have a “Kingsman and cranberry†to drink.  (Love how Eva supports Gideon’s businesses).
  • Eva is aware how much Gideon likes control but he tests her by introducing her to “crimson†restraints.  Eva is concerned but Gideon reassures her that he will not take her where she isn’t ready.  She agrees to his plan; she knows Gideon would never hurt her.
  • Gideon doesn’t restrain Eva literally but puts her head in a restrained state of mind.

After their initial three hours of intimacy Eva has an idea to take Gideon to a place he has avoided.

• Eva recognized the fear in Gideon’s demeanor when she introduces that she “wants to be inside himâ€. 
  • Eva helps Gideon through his anxiety by showing him how much she loves him.  (I just love this about Eva. She understands Gideon so much and knows that he will do anything for her because of their shared love).
  • Gideon requested Eva to stop a couple times. She doesn’t comply.
  • Eva ignored Gideon’s request not to hurt him but to help him face his past.
  • Eva offers Gideon to take this journey together and they change positions.
  • Gideon’s actions are angry and rough.
  • Eva continues to be slow and loving.
  • After a mutually satisfying encounter Eva takes Gideon in her arms.
  • Gideon buries his face in her b reasts and cries.

This entire encounter is so beautifully written.  As a reader I felt Eva’s love for Gideon and how much she trusts him even though she is initially anxious.  At that point we are taken with Gideon to a very dark and fearful place but the love jumps off the pages.  These two broken individuals need each other and again that need is so all encompassing and we are allowed to voyeuristically experience their love. 

I have to admit that I cried with Gideon and hoped that we will see a turning point for this couple.  I want them to move their relationship forward and, while they can’t really forget their past, I want them to put it behind them, including their exes.  I know this won’t happen to quickly but I see it is a possibility because they are facing demons as mature adults.

Beautifully said and well written. :) 

Sorry I'm late but I think there is a lot of important information in Chapter 17.  I was getting my thought together when unexpected company came forward.

I haven’t participated in this thread very much because I tend to pull what I know will happen into my thoughts.  However, I think this chapter has important information and asks questions that will be answered in future books.  It almost has the ring of a penultimate chapter, especially knowing what comes in the next chapter. The chapter picks up with Eva & Brett.

Eva & Brett & Arnoldo are at Tableau One

• Eva is still torn about her feelings for Brett.
  • She wants to be friends because he was important to her at one time.
  • Eva knows how it feels to not know what the person you love is doing with an ex so she picked a place where people Gideon know and trust could let him know that she was completely appropriate with Brett.
  • Arnoldo baby sits the couple 
  • It is obvious that Arnoldo still has mixed feelings about Eva. She said I’m no prize and Arnoldo gave her a look that let her know he wasn’t sure she was either.
  • Arnoldo noticed that she wasn’t eating,
  • Eva wonders if Brett recognizes how little they know about one another.

Eva & Brett & Deanna

• Eva invites Brett to her apartment (this is a bad move IMO) because she doesn’t know how to not invite him politely.
    • Deanna is stalking Eva and is happy to see her with Brett.
      • Brett acted like he didn’t know anything about the altercation with Gideon.
      • Deanna let Eva know that her photographer got pictures of her & Gideon
      • Asked about her relationship with Brett
      • Brett answered “I think Golden says it all.  We’ve got history and friendship.†(I hate this statement and I believe the lizard & jr will use it in the future.)
  • Eva
    • Feels guilty about inviting Brett in especially when she passes Gideon’s apartment.
    • Wonders if Gideon ever has these feelings with Corinne.
    • Felt sorry when BRETT decided to leave (I don’t understand these conflicting emotions for Eva.  Again I think it spells trouble in the future.)
  • Brett
    • Knows that Eva doesn’t like “Goldenâ€
    • He knows it is a personal video and thinks it proves that he hasn’t forgotten anything about Eva.  When in fact all he knows about Eva is sexual nothing personal.
    • Agreed to “hook up†per Brett but “meet up†per Eva in two weeks in San Diego
    • He then says one of my least favorite lines in the story thus far “I remember how you feel on the inside.  I can’t wait to feel it again.† I hate that Eva was breathing too fast at this point.  I would feel better if she were seething with anger. 
    • He wants Eva to call and she agrees.

Eva & Gideon

• As soon as Brett leaves Eva looks for Gideon.  Eva feels off but she wasn’t off when Brett was there. 
  • Gideon turns up when Eva is in the shower and joins her.
  • Gideon explains that Corinne called him hysterical.
  • It is interesting that Eva is jealous after spending so much time with Brett.
  • Eva thinks that Corinne made up a problem to pull Gideon to her. I agree.
  • Gideon called Giroux to come get his wife and explained that Corinne isn’t his responsibility.  Gideon is trying to release Corinne right when Eva is planning on spending time with Brett.
  • “It seems like so much is coming at us, doesn’t it?  We can’t catch a break.  If it’s not one thing, it’s another.† This statement is so true and an indication that the fight for their HEA is still going to be bumpy.

It was so sad to me when Eva woke up as Gideon was leaving and asks if he is leaving.  “Don’t ask me to stay.† It must be so hard for both of them.

Mark Garrity, Megumi (do we know her last name?), Eva, Mrs. Field

• Is this section just an insight into Eva’s work day or is it a indication of more ahead?
  • Mark is called to Mrs. Field’s office. We don’t know the reason but it is implied to talk about an account for which they submitted an RFP.
  • Monica called about lunch

Eva, Giroux, Gideon

• Jean Francois Giroux makes his first appearance.  He arrives in NYC after Gideon’s call.
  • Giroux is arguing with a guard because Gideon is late
  • Eva recognizes him and they have an unfriendly conversation.
  • Giroux is too forward and friendly with the introduction to Eva.
  • Giroux wants to meet with Eva and figures out she is going out of town with Gideon for the weekend Interesting conversation between Giroux & Eva.  “Does it not bother you that he used my wife to make you jealous and bring you back to him?†“Gideon wants to be friends with Corinne.  Friends spend time together.† “You’re blond, but surely you can’t be so naïve as to believe that.†“You’re stressed but surely you know you’re being an a s s.† (Love this response from Eva.)
  • Gideon walks in on the conversation and demands an apology.  He lets Giroux know that he always treated Corinne respectfully. 
  • Eva calms Gideon with a touch and the effect that Eva has on Gideon is noticed by Giroux.
  • After the apology Eva leaves with her mother.

Clancy, Monica and Eva

• Clancy:  This conversation is possibly a harbinger to a future reveal.  If it doesn’t have a hidden meaning it is definitely a strange interaction between Eva & Clancy.  How are you?  Eva asked   Clancy responded with a nod “And you/†Hanging in there?  You’ll be all right.† What is impressed me is that he sounded confident. 

Monica

• At lunch Monica isn’t acting as expected.  Eva expected her to ask if Gideon & Giroux would join them because she loves hanging with wealthy, powerful men.  When she didn’t Eva was perplexed. 
  • Commented on Eva’s new watch
  • Was horrified that Gideon knew about the tracker
  • Suggested that Gideon keeps secrets
  • “Everything I’ve done is for love.  Everything.â€
  • Admitted that she couldn’t be with Victor because he doesn’t have money and the money she has isn’t enough.
  • Appalled that Eva is considering living with Gideon. 
  • Monica is going to handle Gideon (little does she know that Gideon is way ahead of her)

Eva

• was angry with her mother
  • didn’t fill the silence (a normal response for her) Wanted her mother to state her case and set the topic for discussion. 
  • Called her mother on how she treated Victor. “You don’t love him enough.â€
  • Asked her mom why money was so important
  • Told her mom that she couldn’t live in the apartment anymore because Nathan is dead and she can’t live where her mom cheated on her husband.
  • Eva is surprised that her mom agrees with Gideon on marriage.

I'll be back shortly with Chapter 18 one of my favorite all time chapters.

You make a lot of great points!  Thank you for taking the time to write and post this.  I really appreciate it! :) 

Yummy    Mr Big   :)

Saw Man of Steel today - OMG the close-up shots of our man take your breath away.  And even tho Amy Adams is a redhead but with help couuld be blond there is a scene when he is on his knees and she comforts him and it is totally Gideon and Eva.

That is the bit I loved, it totally reminded me of Gideon and Eva

Hi Barb,

I don’t think that Gideon enjoys an*l play per say (i.e. I don’t think that it was part of his repertoire).  I think that Eva did for Gideon, what Gideon did for Eva.  He gave her back a part of her body that had always only known pain.  I think that Eva did the same for Gideon.  She massaged his prostate (which can be very pleasurable for some men) in hopes that he would experience and associate something pleasurable with his rectum that had previously only ever had forced painful experiences.

I don’t think that Gideon’s dreams would have indicated that he would enjoy an*l play in the least.  I think that if anything, Eva saw that Gideon had serious issues because of the fact that he was raped (sodomized). 

When Gideon introduced an*l play into their relationship, it was because Eva asked him to erase Nathan’s touch.  Eva actually put Gideon’s hand on her an*s.  Gideon never put Eva’s hand over that part of his part anatomy. 

I think that Eva tried to give Gideon a part of his body back (that had been scarred and stolen from him emotionally), but she did it at great risk.  It could have backfired on her in the worst way.  I think that Eva didn’t give Gideon a chance to process everything that was going on.   Eva wasn’t just massaging his prostate but; she was also performing oral se* on him, in conjunction with gently kneading his testicles.  I think that whatever reservations that Gideon may have had (about the se* act); Eva put him on sensory overload (so the only thing that Gideon could do was feel).   I think that was confirmed when Gideon cried after making love.   

Barb, you mentioned that Gideon might have indicated that he might like an*l play from his dreams.  Could you please tell me what part of the book (what page) that was in.  After reading the book, I didn't get that at all.  Maybe I missed something.  Thanks in advance.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

I agree with you there GiGi, I loved how Eva was trying to heal Gideon by going to the dark place in him that tortured him just like he healed her with his touch, she was doing the same to him.,  So loving between these two

Hi Barb,

I don’t think that Gideon enjoys an*l play per say (i.e. I don’t think that it was part of his repertoire).  I think that Eva did for Gideon, what Gideon did for Eva.  He gave her back a part of her body that had always only known pain.  I think that Eva did the same for Gideon.  She massaged his prostate (which can be very pleasurable for some men) in hopes that he would experience and associate something pleasurable with his rectum that had previously only ever had forced painful experiences.

I don’t think that Gideon’s dreams would have indicated that he would enjoy an*l play in the least.  I think that if anything, Eva saw that Gideon had serious issues because of the fact that he was raped (sodomized). 

When Gideon introduced an*l play into their relationship, it was because Eva asked him to erase Nathan’s touch.  Eva actually put Gideon’s hand on her an*s.  Gideon never put Eva’s hand over that part of his part anatomy. 

I think that Eva tried to give Gideon a part of his body back (that had been scarred and stolen from him emotionally), but she did it at great risk.  It could have backfired on her in the worst way.  I think that Eva didn’t give Gideon a chance to process everything that was going on.   Eva wasn’t just massaging his prostate but; she was also performing oral se* on him, in conjunction with gently kneading his testicles.  I think that whatever reservations that Gideon may have had (about the se* act); Eva put him on sensory overload (so the only thing that Gideon could do was feel).   I think that was confirmed when Gideon cried after making love.   

Barb, you mentioned that Gideon might have indicated that he might like an*l play from his dreams.  Could you please tell me what part of the book (what page) that was in.  After reading the book, I didn't get that at all.  Maybe I missed something.  Thanks in advance.  What do you think?  What does everyone think?

Well I think in chapter 6 (I think) when he woke from the nightmare and she got in the bath and she urged him to share his dreams.  He tells her what his dreams are like, he said he wished it would have hurt more and that he wished he would not have enjoyed it.  

Then Eva says can we talk about something se*ual??  She asks if he would enjoy that and reaches between his legs. Maybe I am reading wrong but I got the feeling that he might enjoy it or he thought he might.  I think that is why Eva attempted again on the plane.

I do not have the book in front of me am at work so the chapter may not be right.  It was after the first time she came to his new apartment.

:)

I have to spell check all my words I am paranoid now!!!!  :)

Wow now this is beautiful.i wouldn't mind traveling like this :D

I know, transportation personified a super luxury, if I win the Nattional Lottery or the Euro Millions over here ladies I shall hire it to take us all to see Gideon :)

I know, transportation personified a super luxury, if I win the Nattional Lottery or the Euro Millions over here ladies I shall hire it to take us all to see Gideon :)

Pretty please win. :)

Well I think in chapter 6 (I think) when he woke from the nightmare and she got in the bath and she urged him to share his dreams.  He tells her what his dreams are like, he said he wished it would have hurt more and that he wished he would not have enjoyed it.  

Then Eva says can we talk about something se*ual??  She asks if he would enjoy that and reaches between his legs. Maybe I am reading wrong but I got the feeling that he might enjoy it or he thought he might.  I think that is why Eva attempted again on the plane.

I do not have the book in front of me am at work so the chapter may not be right.  It was after the first time she came to his new apartment.

:)

I have to spell check all my words I am paranoid now!!!!   :)

Spell check doesn't always help.  I spell a word correctly but it is the wrong word for the sentence (to, too, two).  This usually happens when I change my mind about what I want to say and I don't erase my initial thought completely.  I read a study not too long ago that says our mind is six to ten words ahead of what we are typing and therefore, words are inserted out of place.  When I have a presentation for work I will type out everything and re-read it the next day.  I always catch something that I missed during my initial proofreading. 

Hello everybody from sunny (and too hot) Italy!!!!!

I married Gideon Geoffrey Cross barefoot on a Caribbean beach with the hotel manager and Angus McLeod as witnesses.....

this is the perfect ending to Gideon and Eva's perfect love. The first ten words never ever fail to  make my eyes all shiny... After all Gideon and Eva (and us with them) have gone through, they can now experience perfect bliss. And so do I!!!!!

A secret marriage on the beach..... arranged to the tiniest details by someone who used to say he didn't like romance!!!

I was a little troubled by the prenup. Although I understand the necessity of such an arrangement between two wealthy people who are going to share their life with one another, I really don't like it, because it points out and reminds us that everything has a price: sex, love, children...

But Gideon was actually only protecting his own heart against the remotest likelihood of Eva walking out on him.  "There's nothing I wouldn't do for you" he tells Eva in RIY, which apparently includes giving up most of his wealth as well. As though killing Nathan wasn't enough!!!. His lawyers must have had a really hard time in convincing him otherwise.

Spell check doesn't always help.  I spell a word correctly but it is the wrong word for the sentence (to, too, two).  This usually happens when I change my mind about what I want to say and I don't erase my initial thought completely.  I read a study not too long ago that says our mind is six to ten words ahead of what we are typing and therefore, words are inserted out of place.  When I have a presentation for work I will type out everything and re-read it the next day.  I always catch something that I missed during my initial proofreading. 

I read something like that well, it was interesting, also where is spellcheck on this site, I have never noticed it

I married Gideon Geoffrey Cross barefoot on a Caribbean beach with the hotel manager and Angus McLeod as witnesses.....

this is the perfect ending to Gideon and Eva's perfect love. The first ten words never ever fail to  make my eyes all shiny... After all Gideon and Eva (and us with them) have gone through, they can now experience perfect bliss. And so do I!!!!!

A secret marriage on the beach..... arranged to the tiniest details by someone who used to say he didn't like romance!!!

I was a little troubled by the prenup. Although I understand the necessity of such an arrangement between two wealthy people who are going to share their life with one another, I really don't like it, because it points out and reminds us that everything has a price: sex, love, children...

But Gideon was actually only protecting his own heart against the remotest likelihood of Eva walking out on him.  "There's nothing I wouldn't do for you" he tells Eva in RIY, which apparently includes giving up most of his wealth as well. As though killing Nathan wasn't enough!!!. His lawyers must have had a really hard time in convincing him otherwise.

Hi Gabri

Can you send the sun over to Scotland please, we have not had much today and we rarely get it so any you could spare would be nice.

I so loved those ten words it was just so touching and you know I always have a smile on my face when I read that part and think back to Gideon who said he did not do Romance, eye right, he is such a big softie and romantic, he would do anything to put a smile on Eva's face and I think he knew deep down this would make her sparkle, he is so intricate in his planning

I was like you when I heard the words Pre-nup, my heart was in my throat but it was lovely that Gideon was just wanting her to love him for the rest of her life and he would love her unconditionally until the end, it was so sweet what he did and yes you are right he was just guarding his heart but I think it showed Eva as well that money and possessions don't matter to him as long as he has her love.

Why can't we all find men like Gideon :P

Thanks I know but the whole wedding dress thing made me paranoid   lol  :)

Hello my little Italian lady.

This chapter speaks for its self. This is what made all the ladies of the world, cheer and shout hallelujah! We don't have to write anything, all their love and passion for each other was perfect.

I felt like part of the ceremony, I could feel the sand between my toes.

Angus watching with pride spoke volumes.

Perfection!

Love love this too, 

I do wonder if Eva had not ran into the ocean how had he intended to propose to Eva??  Just curious  :)