SPOILERS: Entwined with You Overall Discussion

Gideon confessed to Eva on Wednesday night, the night they got back together after she found out the truth about how Nathan died from Detective Graves. He did so when they talked in her bedroom. They also talked about whether or not she could live with that knowledge, and she agreed she believed she could. As a cop's daughter she knew full well even as she promised Gideon she could live with the truth (in other words, she wasn't going to "turn him in") that she herself was now an active part of his ongoing plan to cover up what he'd done. It's all in Chapter 1.

The subject of his having killed Nathan came up directly again on Friday night (Chapter 8), this time in the context of Gideon's nightmares. The fact he'd killed someone, and now is having nightmares about that on top of his rape nightmares, has now made it even more risky for him to sleep next to Eva, given his parasomnia condition that sometimes makes him actually start acting out for real the imaginary violence going on inside his head during a bad nightmare.

The fact the pair of them are letting the dead Russian "take the fall" is more of their ongoing co-conspiracy to keep him from ever being charged with Nathan's killing. The subject first came up in Chapter 12 and is more fully-blown-out in Chapter 14.

Gideon did it, my friends, and he's confessed to Eva, and she's now protecting him. Whatever plot twists are coming in Books 4 and 5, they're not going to include revelations that someone else did it. Sylvia herself has made clear repeatedly that Gideon did do it, and she has explained as an author why the character of Gideon did what he did.

I know it kills (pun intended) some fans to believe our hero could take the ultimate extreme measure to save Eva's own life. But it was most definitely HIM, not whoever subsequently tampered with evidence by stealing that bracelet off Nathan's corpse, plus some of Nathan's recent stalker photos of Eva, later planting that evidence to try to make it look like the Russian gangster was the killer. That bracelet was still on Nathan when Gideon left the body in the hotel room, and Gideon told Eva so (in Chapter 14.)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gideon confessed to Eva on Wednesday night, the night they got back together after she found out the truth about how Nathan died from Detective Graves. He did so when they talked in her bedroom. They also talked about whether or not she could live with that knowledge, and she agreed she believed she could. As a cop's daughter she knew full well even as she promised Gideon she could live with the truth (in other words, she wasn't going to "turn him in") that she herself was now an active part of his ongoing plan to cover up what he'd done. It's all in Chapter 1.

The subject of his having killed Nathan came up directly again on Friday night (Chapter 8), this time in the context of Gideon's nightmares. The fact he'd killed someone, and now is having nightmares about that on top of his rape nightmares, has now made it even more risky for him to sleep next to Eva, given his parasomnia condition that sometimes makes him actually start acting out for real the imaginary violence going on inside his head during a bad nightmare.

The fact the pair of them are letting the dead Russian "take the fall" is more of their ongoing co-conspiracy to keep him from ever being charged with Nathan's killing. The subject first came up in Chapter 12 and is more fully-blown-out in Chapter 14.

Gideon did it, my friends, and he's confessed to Eva, and she's now protecting him. Whatever plot twists are coming in Books 4 and 5, they're not going to include revelations that someone did it. Sylvia has made clear repeatedly that Gideon did do it, and she has explained as an author why the character of Gideon did what he did.

I know it kills (pun intended) some fans to believe our hero could take the ultimate extreme measure to save Eva's own life. But it was most definitely HIM, not whoever subsequently tampered with evidence by stealing that bracelet off Nathan's corpse, plus some of Nathan's recent stalker photos of Eva, later planting that evidence to try to make it look like the Russian gangster was the killer. That bracelet was still on Nathan when Gideon left the body in the hotel room, and Gideon told Eva so (in Chapter 14.)

Your right on all counts. From the outset of this book, Gideon is guilty as charged :(

Your right on all counts. From the outset of this book, Gideon is guilty as charged :(

Gideon committed a form of justifiable homicide in my book. It is OK to kill in one's own self defense or the defense of another person -- to prevent an innocent third party from being killed.

Nathan was going to murder Eva sooner or later -- probably sooner. He was a dangerously mentally ill monster actively stalking her and his crazy was escalating. He'd already crossed over the line into extreme violence. He beat Cary with a deadly weapon, inflicting injuries that could have been fatal (the skull fracture and the broken ribs.)

Cary being beaten half to death convinced Gideon that Eva's life was in very real, immediate danger. Yes, he had some other options, but he felt the only guaranteed way to prevent Nathan from murdering Eva some day was to kill Nathan, and do it as soon as possible.

He said that he killed for her. Asked Eva if she could live with that.

Hi Michelle ,thank you for your answer but where I was going with this and I see I may be wrong is that although Gideon did in fact kill Nathan and we as the readers know it and so does Eva is that he never came out and said "I killed Nathan " and I was asking the question because if Eva were questioned or was in court about statements made by Gideon before they were married and the cops asked a yes or no answer about whether or not Gideon confessed to killing Nathan to her the answer would have to be no .They have talked about/around it but he hasn't made a definitive statement about it .He said he killed a man never who (could be metaphorically )can you live with what I've done ,even when she said you killed a man for me he never agreed clearly he had etc perhaps I'm splitting hairs but my thinking was that all of that would be her protection against being an accessory after the fact to the murder and that anything said after marriage would be protected by the sanctity of that union.English is not a first language for me and I may not be coming across very clearly .

Hi Michelle ,thank you for your answer but where I was going with this and I see I may be wrong is that although Gideon did in fact kill Nathan and we as the readers know it and so does Eva is that he never came out and said "I killed Nathan " and I was asking the question because if Eva were questioned or was in court about statements made by Gideon before they were married and the cops asked a yes or no answer about whether or not Gideon confessed to killing Nathan to her the answer would have to be no .They have talked about/around it but he hasn't made a definitive statement about it .He said he killed a man never who (could be metaphorically )can you live with what I've done ,even when she said you killed a man for me he never agreed clearly he had etc perhaps I'm splitting hairs but my thinking was that all of that would be her protection against being an accessory after the fact to the murder and that anything said after marriage would be protected by the sanctity of that union.English is not a first language for me and I may not be coming across very clearly .

You come across really well with your English. It amazes me how there are posters here, like you, that read and write in a second language: not only read the books in the original language but actually then write about them in the original English language here.

About his confessions: he didn't actually need to say Nathan's actual name --  "I killed Nathan" -- for it to count as a confession. Detective Graves already told Eva that he'd killed Nathan. Gideon confirmed it was true, he had killed -- and even admitted he'd do it again. Gideon seems to try to be avoiding using that monster's name any more, but he's still using the word "kill".

Gideon used to be protecting Eva from ever being suspected of being an accessory. That's exactly why he pushed her away. He asked her to "wait" for him to come back, but he was never going to tell her why he'd cut her off in the first place. He was just going to "wait" himself until the police left him alone.

But someone else told her the truth instead -- the detective -- so now she knows. And because she's decided to protect Gideon, she now is an accessory to the cover-up. She knows that too. So they're "in it together."

You come across really well with your English. It amazes me how there are posters here, like you, that read and write in a second language: not only read the books in the original language but actually then write about them in the original English language here.

About his confessions: he didn't actually need to say Nathan's actual name --  "I killed Nathan" -- for it to count as a confession. Detective Graves already told Eva that he'd killed Nathan. Gideon confirmed it was true, he had killed -- and even admitted he'd do it again. Gideon seems to try to be avoiding using that monster's name any more, but he's still using the word "kill".

Gideon used to be protecting Eva from ever being suspected of being an accessory. That's exactly why he pushed her away. He asked her to "wait" for him to come back, but he was never going to tell her why he'd cut her off in the first place. He was just going to "wait" himself until the police left him alone.

But someone else told her the truth instead -- the detective -- so now she knows. And because she's decided to protect Gideon, she now is an accessory to the cover-up. She knows that too. So they're "in it together."

Great LN Cronan thanks the "he doesn't have to say I killed Nathan to count as a confession" clears it up for me .Your posts about the American legal framework are very helpful too.

Eva hasn't told Cary the truth about Nathan. In fact, she's planning on keeping it secret from Cary forever. She's doing this for the exact same reason Gideon kept her in the dark, had been hoping/planning Eva would never find out the truth either. Because to know the truth and help protect Gideon too could possibly make Cary an accessory too.

It's also why for much of the book, Eva lied to Cary about where she was spending her nights, who she was sleeping with, telling Cary it was some new guy she met when in fact all along it was Gideon and her back together. As long as it wasn't yet "safe" for Eva and Gideon to get back together, it wasn't safe for anyone to know they were a couple again. Not Cary. Not Dr. Petersen either.

Of course, Angus knew they were back together. Angus has known all along Gideon loved Eva and that Corrine was nothing more than a lie to fool the police. Angus is at the very least some sort of accessory too. I believe he's more than an accessory -- that he's an actual accomplice. I think he helped get Gideon to and from Nathan's hotel (drove the "getaway car" so to speak), might have stood as look-out while Gideon was in the room stabbing Nathan, and probably got rid of the knife while Gideon rushed back to the party that was part of his alibi cover.

What's the difference between an accessory and an accomplice? An accomplice charge is far more serious -- and it could carry the same prison term as the one the main defendant himself/herself faces. In Angus' case, if he actively helped Gideon pull of the killing itself, he too could face life in prison.

A crew of bank robbers is a common example of how the legal concept "accomplice" works. Technically, only the robbers who point the guns at the tellers and force the tellers to give them money are actually "robbing." The guy outside behind the wheel of the getaway car isn't forcing anyone with a gun to give him money. But he is acting an accomplice. And so if the bank robber crew gets caught, that driver faces the same prison term as the guys with the weapons forcing the tellers to hand over money.

Eva hasn't told Cary the truth about Nathan. In fact, she's planning on keeping it secret from Cary forever. She's doing this for the exact same reason Gideon kept her in the dark, had been hoping/planning Eva would never find out the truth either. Because to know the truth and help protect Gideon too could possibly make Cary an accessory too.

It's also why for much of the book, Eva lied to Cary about where she was spending her nights, who she was sleeping with, telling Cary it was some new guy she met when in fact all along it was Gideon and her back together. As long as it wasn't yet "safe" for Eva and Gideon to get back together, it wasn't safe for anyone to know they were a couple again. Not Cary. Not Dr. Petersen either.

Of course, Angus knew they were back together. Angus has known all along Gideon loved Eva and that Corrine was nothing more than a lie to fool the police. Angus is at the very least some sort of accessory too. I believe he's more than an accessory -- that he's an actual accomplice. I think he helped get Gideon to and from Nathan's hotel (drove the "getaway car" so to speak), might have stood as look-out while Gideon was in the room stabbing Nathan, and probably got rid of the knife while Gideon rushed back to the party that was part of his alibi cover.

What's the difference between an accessory and an accomplice? An accomplice charge is far more serious -- and it could carry the same prison term as the one the main defendant himself/herself faces. In Angus' case, if he actively helped Gideon pull of the killing itself, he too could face life in prison.

A crew of bank robbers is a common example of how the legal concept "accomplice" works. Technically, only the robbers who point the guns at the tellers and force the tellers to give them money are actually "robbing." The guy outside behind the wheel of the getaway car isn't forcing anyone with a gun to give him money. But he is acting an accomplice. And so if the bank robber crew gets caught, that driver faces the same prison term as the guys with the weapons forcing the tellers to hand over money.

OK-so now I'm in a what if mode.

What if Angus got worried about Gid doing the deed (getting caught) and sought help from Clancy to point police in another direction?

Come on Book 4!!!

OK-so now I'm in a what if mode.

What if Angus got worried about Gid doing the deed (getting caught) and sought help from Clancy to point police in another direction?

Come on Book 4!!!

This is a distinct possibility. Because if Gideon and the Stantons were cooperating on the problem of Nathan's extortion attempts and those rape photos, then their head bodyguards (Angus and Clancy) had to have been having contact with one another. Clancy, we now know, was the main person keeping an eye on Nathan. Meanwhile, Angus had actually become Eva's bodyguard (she just thought Gideon was having Angus offer to drive her out of guilt when in actuality Angus was watching her back.)

Gideon is so sure Angus couldn't have been the one to steal the bracelet off the body. Why is that? Because maybe as soon as Gideon left Nathan's hotel, Angus was waiting there with the "getaway car" -- when Gideon left, Angus left too. But Angus could have gone back while Gideon was busy all those hours handling the aftermath of the "kitchen fire." Or Angus could have called Clancy to go steal the bracelet plus some stalker photos from the hotel room in the wee hours of the morning, before the body was officially "discovered" probably by a housekeeper.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Gideon committed a form of justifiable homicide in my book. It is OK to kill in one's own self defense or the defense of another person -- to prevent an innocent third party from being killed.

Nathan was going to murder Eva sooner or later -- probably sooner. He was a dangerously mentally ill monster actively stalking her and his crazy was escalating. He'd already crossed over the line into extreme violence. He beat Cary with a deadly weapon, inflicting injuries that could have been fatal (the skull fracture and the broken ribs.)

Cary being beaten half to death convinced Gideon that Eva's life was in very real, immediate danger. Yes, he had some other options, but he felt the only guaranteed way to prevent Nathan from murdering Eva some day was to kill Nathan, and do it as soon as possible.

I agree that it was justifiable, maybe not in the legal sense, but justifiable nonetheless.  Even Graves was convinced Eva was in danger and I don't think that part was a lie.  She knew that the way Nathan was acting was certain death for the object of a crazed stalker like Nathan.  I also think that will be the piece of evidence that will allow Victor to be on board with Gideon as a son-in-law.  He looked at the evidence, either on line or in person, and knew from experience that Eva was in danger.  He also put the pieces together that Nathan beat Cary.  (This is what I read between the lines because he is a smart cop.)

I have a question.  On the night Gideon told Eva No more Corinne, Gideon told Eva that the kitchen fire was his alibi.  Eva thought Corinne was the alibi, and so did I.  I also got the impression from Graves that the kitchen fire is what convinced her Gideon killed Nathan.  Gideon believed that enough people saw him dealing with the FDNY, insurance, etc. that they couldn't pin the murder on him.  Do you think his lawyers are convinced that they could prove reasonable doubt because of the fire?

I have a question.  On the night Gideon told Eva No more Corinne, Gideon told Eva that the kitchen fire was his alibi.  Eva thought Corinne was the alibi, and so did I.  I also got the impression from Graves that the kitchen fire is what convinced her Gideon killed Nathan.  Gideon believed that enough people saw him dealing with the FDNY, insurance, etc. that they couldn't pin the murder on him.  Do you think his lawyers are convinced that they could prove reasonable doubt because of the fire?

I think Gideon was trying to make the point that he did not spend the night with Corinne...

I was actually surprised at how rude and disrespectful Tatiana was. When Cary and Tatiana showed up at the apartment and Gideon and Eva were eating pizza,Tatiana saw Gideon and flashed him a come-hither smile. Then the following morning, Tatiana was walking around the apartment butt naked, I love that Eva confronts her. And I really like the part where Eva walks into the kitchen and sees Gideon leaning back into the counter, leisurely drinking his coffee. He wore a black suit and pale grey tie and look unbearably handsome. Ava asks "enjoy the show?" Ava hated that he saw another woman naked and not just any woman, but a model with the lean, willowy body type he'd been known to prefer. He lifted one shoulder in a careless shrug, "Not especially." "You like 'em tall and skinny." Gideon set his left hand over mine. The rubies on his wedding band sparkled in the bright kitchen lights. "Last I checked, the wife I can't resist was petite and voluptuous, Spectacularly so." I LOVE this part, I can just picture our Sexy Gideon standing there all nonchalantly in his gorgeous suit......Yummmmy!

I loved that scene too!

I loved that scene too!

I love that scene too.  I also love that Gideon always refers to Eva as "wife". Even when he said he wanted to show off his wife.  Eva said no one knows but Gideon said I know.

It is interesting that Eva mostly referred to Gideon as husband when she didn't know where he was. Where is my husband.  I don't know what my husband is doing.   I wonder why? 

Corrine served a different purpose than being an alibi witness. 

An "alibi" simply is proof that Gideon happened to be in one particular place (the party hotel) and he could  actually prove he was there because witnesses saw him. Lots of witnesses -- people at the party, hotel employees, and best of all, a press photographer. Can't get proof better than that he was at the party -- the picture ran on the famous "Page Six" gossip column in the newspaper.

If he was at the party hotel, and he could prove it, then how can the cops say he was at Nathan's hotel? Can't be two places at one time.

Gideon used the kitchen fire at the party hotel as his excuse to have to hang out there practically all night.  Which was a very smart thing to do. Gideon needed to be seen around people for hours and hours Thursday into Friday. To just go home alone after the party was too risky. Because at best, the time of death estimate from the autopsy was going to have wiggle room of a couple of hours. So Gideon needed his own wiggle room of even more hours -- starting Thursday afternoon in that business meeting, leaving work to pick up Corrine, hanging out at the party -- then ending up "stuck" for hours at the party hotel dealing with the situation the fire caused.

If after the party, Gideon had gone off alone with Corrine to continue their "date", then she would have been his alibi, because she would be the only witness who could say "he was with me at such and such place." If he was with Corrine at such and such place, she's be the proof he couldn't have been somewhere else (at Nathan's hotel.)

Eva knew Gideon had to have his entire night accounted for in order to be safe. She was paranoid that he continued his "date" with Corrine past the party, spending hours and hours with her. Even though Eva now understands Gideon wouldn't have been f***** Corrine all night, just the mere thought of them spending many hours probably alone together agonized her. But Gideon didn't do that. Instead, he did crisis management for hours and hours at the hotel; his witnesses were people there, like employees, insurance people, food delivery, fire fighters. Corrine gave up after a while and went home, figuring out she wasn't going to get lucky that night.

So what purpose did Corrine serve? To protect him from motive. She was at the party so that the press photographer could get a picture of her and Gideon as a couple. To make everyone believe they were back together. The way Gideon set up that picture -- them standing way too close together with him touching her and her laughing -- would make anyone believe the two of them were more than friends. Even Eva herself believed it.

Gideon's true motive was he loved Eva so much he'd even resort to killing to protect her. Corrine was part of a lie to make it appear he didn't love Eva, period -- so why would he kill for a woman he didn't love, a woman he already dumped in favor of another women he'd once been engaged to and who had just left her husband to be with Gideon again.

Graves figured out the kitchen fire is what made it possible for Gideon to sneak off from the party hotel, go to Nathan's hotel to kill him, then sneak back to the party hotel. And thus he actually could have done so. He had an "opportunity" to get at Nathan.

But because of all the coming and going at the party hotel during the fire and then the clean-up afterward, she'd have a bear of a time trying to prove he left the party hotel for any length of time. Because there were all kinds of witnesses who could say they'd seen him around, but couldn't say exactly what time. There were even people who could testify they talked to him there (firefighters, insurance people, hotel employees, etc.) but they'd only be able to estimate around what time that was. Because he kept moving around, it was impossible to keep constant track of where he was at every single minute.

So there's the doubt. The doubt works both ways -- Graves could actually argue her theory the confusion gave him an opportunity to slip away for a time. BUT just because she figured it out, doesn't mean she can actually prove it beyond reasonable doubt. And her side (cops/prosecution) is the side that's got to prove he actually did slip off. To do it, they'd have to find someone who saw him elsewhere, most especially at or near Nathan's hotel. Unless she could find an eyewitness placing him elsewhere, well then the jury could reasonably doubt it. Especially because the defense would have a slew of witnesses who could prove he was at the party/fire.