Crossfire Series Questions for SYLVIA

Kirsten

Question

This thread is being started so we can all have a place to put our questions that we want Sylvia to answer. Obviously she will not be able to answer all since we have two more book to go... YAY!

My question still is what was with the back and forth between Gideon and Elizabeth regarding Cary at the garden party?

It is obvious that Gideon and Angus have a very close relationship, will we find out more about it, it book 4 or 5?

• Answers 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Here's a question I keep wondering about. Why does Cary never have any money? I know someone says male models don't make nearly what female models make ( now there's a nice switch!) but if he's appearing in giant ads in Times Square and sides of busses, he must be pulling in a fair amount - even with time off after the beating. And he may not even be paying any rent. I expect he gets a deal on his clothes,too.

Hi Nrock,

I think that Cary was short on cash because he modeling career hadn’t taken off yet.  Yes he did land two big accounts but Sylvia doesn’t mention any other previous work, so maybe we are seeing Cary at the start of his career.   

I know that Cary may not have been paid fully or even paid yet.  Modelling agencies settle their accounts with their clients (the businesses who use their models for the advertisments).  As such, some agencies pay monthly or when the advertisers settle up their accounts.  Cary may have worked, but he may still be waiting to be paid. 

I get the feeling that prior to moving to New York, Cary may have been still cleaning himself up and getting his life together.  This is all just strictly speculation, so who knows?  I hope we get a little more background on Cary before the series ends.  What do you think?

Hi Julie, 

Monica was two million dollars richer courtesy of Mr. Barker two plus husbands ago.  She could have gone to Victor, told him everything and then kissed and made up then, but she didn't.  Why?  How much money is enough for Monica to feel secure?  There has to be something more to this storyline.

That's why I would love a real plot twist of Monica becoming pregnant by Victor again!  Would Monica choose a man who didn't really make huge sums of money (by previous husband standards) and choose love or would she walk once again?  What a question, don't you think? 

Would Monica be alright wih the idea of being the main bread winner in the family or would she require someone who had more money than her?   Ohhh....now I am getting excited!  :)  :)  Bring on the fourth book!!  I am all ears!!  :)  :)  :)

Hi Gigi

It's not just the money with Monica. It's the lifestyle that goes with it. Functions, lunches, events. Victor doesn't seem the sort to be eye candy for Monica. He's a mans man. Monica is too high maintenance for such a great guy. He deserves a "normal" woman. Who will love him for who he is. :wub:

Hi Gigi

It's not just the money with Monica. It's the lifestyle that goes with it. Functions, lunches, events. Victor doesn't seem the sort to be eye candy for Monica. He's a mans man. Monica is too high maintenance for such a great guy. He deserves a "normal" woman. Who will love him for who he is. :wub:

I agree with you there. 

Also with Monica, I always got the impression she did all these functions to make up for not being there for Eva when she was a child being abused, this is her way of helping others and she would not be able to do that or have the resources to do with if she was with Victor :)

I agree with you there.

Also with Monica, I always got the impression she did all these functions to make up for not being there for Eva when she was a child being abused, this is her way of helping others and she would not be able to do that or have the resources to do with if she was with Victor :)

Hi Sheena

It's her way of easing her guilty conscience.

I agree with you there. 

Hi Sheena

It's her way of easing her guilty conscience.

Agree --

Monica got $2 million out of her first divorce -- and she got a $5 million settlement for Eva. Thus there was the money to make sure Eva never lack access to anything -- from the best treatment professionals to the finest schools, making sure Eva had a bright future.

But Monica wants guys who aren't just rich -- they're powerful too. She wants "old money" good families that move in high society circles. She was a debutante, and she'd want the same for Eva (sounds like Eva had no interest in doing anything but rebellious partying by the time Eva was debutante age, though.) She'd want Eva to be a socialite as an adult (which she did become.)

Victor could not give Monica that lifestyle. He'd never fit in (nor should he -- in his own way, he is a fabulous example of someone whose "work" involves risking his life to protect others, and he has a great deal of male pride in "earning" his way instead of having life handed to him on a silver platter. He paid for Eva to attend college himself, refusing Stanton's offer to pay, even though it means Victor probably will spend the next 15 years paying off student loans.

I think his macho, slightly dangerous ways are incredibly sexy to Monica. Victor is Dark and Dangerous too. But Monica has no desire to live in the lower economic classes, live like an ordinary woman. She's got to have the glamour and power that comes with moving among the rich and famous.

Hi Gigi

But Monica s rich in her own right now. But is what she has, enough?

She would have the money but she wouldn't have the status . JUST being RICH is a lot different than being the WIFE of a MOGUL and light years away from being the WIFE of a COP!!

She would have the money but she wouldn't have the status . JUST being RICH is a lot different than being the WIFE of a MOGUL and light years away from being the WIFE of a COP!!

A street-level cop at that, out on patrol, not even an elite cop, like a detective.

Victor certainly is smart enough to be a detective and is old enough to have risen through the officer ranks into some level of command responsibility. Yet he continues to drive a cruiser. To me, this signifies two things:

1. He's working the streets, because that's where he literally does the most good: working directly with victims, slapping handcuffs on bad guys. Not sitting at a desk, pushing paper. 
  2. He's extremely brave. The most dangerous place to work as a cop is the streets. Most officers who end up losing their lives in the course of their duties are the street-level cops.

I (heart) Victor -- I'd love a shot at making him forget Monica.

A street-level cop at that, out on patrol, not even an elite cop, like a detective.

Victor certainly is smart enough to be a detective and is old enough to have risen through the officer ranks into some level of command responsibility. Yet he continues to drive a cruiser. To me, this signifies two things:

• He's working the streets, because that's where he literally does the most good: working directly with victims, slapping handcuffs on bad guys. Not sitting at a desk, pushing paper. 
  • He's extremely brave. The most dangerous place to work as a cop is the streets. Most officers who end up losing their lives in the course of their duties are the street-level cops.
I (heart) Victor -- I'd love a shot at making him forget Monica.

Yes not to mention probably HOT Latin looks and a HOT bod and CHARACTER - he's the total package!!

I'll bet, too, that Victor would refuse to touch any of the Barker money Monica could have brought into a marriage. He wouldn't touch it for the same reason Eva has refused to touch it -- it is blood money.

He'd insist on raising his family through his own earnings -- just like he insisted on sending his daughter to college by taking out student loans he'll spend many years now paying back.

I'll bet, too, that Victor would refuse to touch any of the Barker money Monica could have brought into a marriage. He wouldn't touch it for the same reason Eva has refused to touch it -- it is blood money.

He'd insist on raising his family through his own earnings -- just like he insisted on sending his daughter to college by taking out student loans he'll spend many years now paying back.

Victor has a good set of morals.

Also victor is hispanic and Hispanic men are very proud!

And hot -- seriously hot. Also very respectful toward women. It's a wonderful culture I've always admired here in the United States, where we have such a patchwork of different cultures and blending of cultures.

And hot -- seriously hot. Also very respectful toward women. It's a wonderful culture I've always admired here in the United States, where we have such a patchwork of different cultures and blending of cultures.

Yup! Im hispanic (from the DR) and I must say that Im happy that Eva is part hispanic. Makes the story so current to today's society especially here in the US.

Here's a question I keep wondering about. Why does Cary never have any money? I know someone says male models don't make nearly what female models make ( now there's a nice switch!) but if he's appearing in giant ads in Times Square and sides of busses, he must be pulling in a fair amount - even with time off after the beating. And he may not even be paying any rent. I expect he gets a deal on his clothes,too.

OMG! I've been wondering this too?! How could he not afford to pay for a flight to Cali?  He doesn't pay rent, no car....what's he got? A phone bill? Shopping ?

Yup! Im hispanic (from the DR) and I must say that Im happy that Eva is part hispanic. Makes the story so current to today's society especially here in the US.

I love the part in Bared to You where Magdalene cornered Eva in the ladies room for the cat fight -- Maggie having seen Gideon act weird towards his date, Eva, then ditched Eva to leave early and alone. Now Maggie was going in for the kill, believing Eva had just been chucked onto the reject pile.

There was a ladies room attendant there, obviously Hispanic given the fact that Maggie, Hispanic herself, told the attendant in Spanish to give her and Eva a little privacy. Eva looks like her mother, who obviously is of northern European descent, and Maggie was counting on the fact Eva probably knew little if any Spanish. An opening power play on Maggie's part, an attempt to make Eva insecure wondering what the h.e.l.l. Maggie just said to that attendant.

Instead, Eva very politely in Spanish added "please" to the attendant, something Maggie obviously hadn't said when she essentially told the attendant to go away. Go Eva!!! Her show of being a class act by telling the woman "please" in Spanish earned Eva a raise eyebrow from Maggie.

OMG! I've been wondering this too?! How could he not afford to pay for a flight to Cali?  He doesn't pay rent, no car....what's he got? A phone bill? Shopping ?

As a previously unknown model, he probably got paid very little for his first big job modeling those jeans. And he was out of work completely for a couple of weeks because he was too bruised from the beating, including sporting a couple of black eyes.

I love the part in Bared to You where Magdalene cornered Eva in the ladies room for the cat fight -- Maggie having seen Gideon act weird towards his date, Eva, then ditched Eva to leave early and alone. Now Maggie was going in for the kill, believing Eva had just been chucked onto the reject pile.

There was a ladies room attendant there, obviously Hispanic given the fact that Maggie, Hispanic herself, told the attendant in Spanish to give her and Eva a little privacy. Eva looks like her mother, who obviously is of northern European descent, and Maggie was counting on the fact Eva probably knew little if any Spanish. An opening power play on Maggie's part, an attempt to make Eva insecure wondering what the h.e.l.l. Maggie just said to that attendant.

Instead, Eva very politely in Spanish added "please" to the attendant, something Maggie obviously hadn't said when she essentially told the attendant to go away. Go Eva!!! Her show of being a class act by telling the woman "please" in Spanish earned Eva a raise eyebrow from Maggie.

Eva showing her class even in Spanish! I love it! I wonder how she speaks spanish.. if fluently or with an american accent! Lol