One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No sleep for you. Anther l u s t filled night in Italy. Lol ;)

I'm looking forward to her two new ones coming out in August and November. Afterburn and Aftershock.

I've written them down in my Book-To-Read list!!!!. August and November (it's my birthay!) seem so far away now

Chapter 19 of Reflected in You - The Readers Guide

This chapter starts late morning Tuesday (day 43) and continues to Wednesday night (day 44).

Key plot developments

• The final chapter of the novel ends on a cliffhanger - Gideon arrives home from the gym Wednesday night to find Eva sitting on his doorstep.
  • Hours earlier, Detective Shelley Graves, leading the  Nathan murder investigation, had leaked details of the case to Eva - Graves was convinced Gideon did it, because he believed Eva's life was in danger.

New characters

none in this chapter

What the detective told Eva

Graves approached Eva at the Krav Maga studio, trying to act like she (Graves) had simply bumped into Eva. Instantly suspicious, Eva made it clear she didn't want to even talk to the detective without a lawyer present. Graves countered with " .... you don't have to say anything. I'll do all the talking." (page 353)

The detective told Eva she thinks Gideon killed Nathan, precisely premeditating the murder after Cary had been beaten half to death. It turned out Nathan had been the attacker. Evidence later found in Nathan's hotel room showed Nathan had following Cary -- and had actually been stalking Eva.

Graves believed Gideon's reaction to the beating was coming to believe Eva was mortal danger.

"And you know what? He was right. I've seen the evidence we collected from Barker's room -- photos, detailed notes of your daily schedule, news clippings .... even some of your garbage. Usually when we find that sort of thing, it's too late." (page 334).

Nathan died on Thursday. Graves traced the evidence of the plot back to Monday, when Gideon found out about the attack on Cary. Gideon started seeing Corrine again on Monday in an effort to wipe out his motive -- leaving Eva for Corrine while Nathan was still alive. "Why would he kill a man over a woman he'd dumped?" (page 335)

After Gideon set up the relationship lie that shielded him from motive, he set up an event to give himself an alibi for the night of the killing -- an alibi he needed because he himself likely committed the killing, not some hired hitman, Graves figured out.

Thus the party at a hotel he owned, a location near the hotel where Nathan had been staying. The press coverage of the party, complete with photos of him being there (and obviously "reunited" with Corrine) was planned to serve as an unbreakable alibi.

Graves didn't buy it, though -- she kept digging and found out that a kitchen fire at the party-location hotel cleared the entire building for an hour. Gideon made sure he was seen interacting with firefighters, but the confusion would have given him time to slip away under circumstances where witnesses could say he was around but could not pinpoint exactly where every single minute.

Graves claimed she knew he'd killed Nathan but could not prove it -- and so she and her partner (Detective Mincha) together decided to drop the matter, despite the fact both believed taking the law into one's own hands is wrong. Nathan would have killed Eva sooner or later, and no one cared Nathan himself was now dead, not even Nathan's own father.

Then Graves got Eva to confirm a suspicion Graves had -- about Eva having phoned Gideon's cell phone from her apartment on Saturday morning (though Graves didn't come out and say so, a quick check of phone records would have proven who called who.)

It turned out Gideon was at the police station that morning -- and she spied on Gideon when he left the room to take Eva's call, saw what his face looked like by the end of that call. "The only time I've seen pain like that is when I'm notifying next of kin."

Graves got Eva to confirm, with a nod of her (Eva's) head, "You broke up with him on the Saturday after we interrupted your dinner, didn't you?"

Thus Eva provided evidence she ended the relationship two days after Gideon killed Nathan, rather than Gideon threw Eva over in favor of Corrine four days before someone else who actually did have motive must have done it.

What happened next

In a daze, Eva went straight to Gideon's apartment. He wasn't home, and she no longer had a key to get in. So she sat on the doorstep waiting for him (based on the timeline suggested in Entwined Chapter 1, she sat there a while, possibly as long as a couple of hours.)

By way of explanation when a puzzled Gideon found her, Eva said "I ran into Detective Graves tonight ... they're dropping the case." (page 338)

His physical reaction to those words -- sucking in a deep breath, desolation filling his eyes, sinking to his knees on the floor, and finally bowing his head -- told Eva it was true, he had killed Nathan.

Her reaction was to gently touch his face and then kiss his face, her body language saying "thank you."

"Where do we go from here?" he asked, to which she answered, "Wherever this takes us. Together." (page 338)

And with that cliffhanger, the novel ended.

One more thing -- about that hotel

Gideon had cleaned out his f*** pad, had done so weeks ago, did it in fact hours after he and Eva had their first couples therapy appointment, that angst-filled session in which they'd fought over whether or not he'd screwed Corrine in his office during lunch, the appointment where he slipped up by pointing out if he'd really wanted to sleep with Corrine, his hotel room is where he'd have gone.

He'd snuck off to do the errand after Eva fell asleep that night. But he got caught returning to her place -- caught because he arrived in the middle of her having a nightmare about Nathan. Given all the drama of the day -- from Corrine in the afternoon to Eva so upset by the nightmare she was vomiting -- Gideon decided it wasn't the time to discuss a painful subject like his f*** pad. So he never did get around to telling Eva he'd gotten rid of it.

Until Tuesday after lunch, the same day they'd had their talk in his car that led her to believe he would come back to her eventually if she only was patient. Eva had been going down a "hit list" of people in a crusade of taking Gideon's side, and her list included his brother, Christopher Jr.

She took Christopher out to lunch (and ended up sparing the guy, unlike his mother, Corrine and Lucas.) But the protective Gideon had her snuck into the Crossfire security office afterward, out of sight of witnesses and lobby cameras, to ask what went on. And that's when Gideon told her about the hotel.

"We both know I'll never use it again. My girl prefers modes of transportation to beds." (page 329)

No sleep for you. Another l u s t filled night in Italy. Lol ;)

I'm looking forward to her two new books coming out in August and November. Afterburn and Aftershock.

so am I, I am going to download these

To LN Cronan and Andie

And not forgetting Kirsten for her photos and computer wizardry.

On behalf of all the ladies of this forum(and any men), who have been following over the past few weeks.

We would like to thank you for all your hard work, and witty humour, that as kept us going.

Your time and effort is much appreciated.

It has been a pleasure to work with you, cry with you, laugh with you, get angry with you, and have a d a m n good time with you.

We look forward to doing it all over again come Friday. :D

Thank you again.

Stand and take a bow.

Cheering from England and Italy. Yay!!!

To LN Cronan and Andie

On behalf of all the ladies of this forum(and any men), who have been following over the past few weeks.

We would like to thank you for all your hard work, and witty humour, that as kept us going.

It has been a pleasure to work with you, cry with you, laugh with you, get angry with you, and have a d a m n good time with you.

We look forward to do it all over again come Friday. :D

Thank you again.

Stand and take a bow.

I second that!!

Thank you! :)

To LN Cronan and Andie

We look forward to do it all over again come Friday. :D

Thank you again.

Stand and take a bow.

I cannot but second Julie's each and every word.

Thank you so much!!!!

To LN Cronan and Andie

Thank you again.

Stand and take a bow.

I agree.  I belong to a couple forums for TV shows that I love but this is by far the most fun and engaging. 

To LN Cronan and Andie

Thank you again.

Stand and take a bow.

I agree with you, applauding you all from Sunny Scotland :D Yay !!!!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has made this board so much fun these past few weeks/months. I am signing off until I receive my book (Amazon, probably won't be here for several days). I don't want to read any spoilers. "See" everyone in a week or so!!!

I want to Thank You All for the your insight and theories and pictures and synopsis.  I am so looking forward to more in EWY.

This forum has been absolutely wonderful and so much fun! 

I will be downloading soon, very soon.  YAY!!!!

I want to Thank You All for the your insight and theories and pictures and synopsis.  I am so looking forward to more in EWY.

This forum has been absolutely wonderful and so much fun! 

I will be downloading soon, very soon.  YAY!!!!

Friday will be amazing on these pages. SMOKING!!!