One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

My guess: she did some sort of business-related story as the means to meet Gideon, having a hidden agenda to get him to date her. The natural assumption would be he was sleeping with all those brunettes too - why wouldn't he be? Even if he was careful to explain to Deanna that their interactions would be strictly limited to sex, I'll bet she still had those "exaggerated expectations" anyway he'd make her his girlfriend -- and that she would become "the one." Most, if not all, of the beautiful brunettes would have believed every one of them had such a shot. Gideon had been engaged once before, so clearly marriage was in his life plan -- and he absolutely had a "thing" for brunettes. 

Magdalene had exaggerated expectations, despite the fact she knew the score: Gideon didn't sleep with the women he dated nor date the women he f*****. Magdalene believed Gideon not sleeping with her was a sign of respect and proof that he was going to keep her in his life for the long haul. She actually thought that he'd simply get sowing his wild oats out of his system so he'd be ready to settle down -- choosing her as his wife.

Even Eva herself had certain expectations with Gideon from the get-go. He basically was looking for a one night stand or at most a short-term fling. She expected friends with benefits. Then when the lovemaking in the limo changed everything, she knew the arrangement she'd already made with Gideon wasn't going to satisfy her. The crucial difference between Eva and other women, though, was she intended to walk away, not settle for scraps and hope for more. Thanks to therapy, Eva had enough insight to realize settling would be very bad for her.

I suspect Eva is right Gideon screwed Deanna and then threw her onto the reject pile -- the gleam in Deanna's eyes showed the woman has some sort of personal grudge against Gideon. What she said to Eva suggests to me Deanna thinks he's been using women for years (Eva being the latest) all the while holding a torch for Corrine, trying to figure out how to get Corrine back and marry her some day.

Yes, part of Eva's reaction was the old brunette-fixation insecurity, because Deanna appeared to be very much Gideon's type. But Eva also sensed it wasn't as simple as that in this particular case. Eva's instincts had been dead right about Corrine herself still being in love with Gideon. Eva's instincts also had been dead right about Magdalene. Deanna is now the third brunette tied to Gideon somehow that Eva has had getting in her (Eva's) face.

Eva still suspects the reason Gideon had dated brunettes for years was because of Corrine. What's finally changed recently is Eva at last believes Gideon is in love with her. But unless and until Gideon actually figures out for himself what the real reason behind the brunette fixation is (because he's admitted he doesn't consciously know why) the insecure part of Eva is still going to bristle at every beautiful brunette of a certain "type" associated with Gideon, past and present -- because there definitely is something behind the brunette fetish.

Deanna certainly seems like a brunette with a score to settle ... Maybe Gideon did her more than one nite but one thing is for sure she never stayed the night and I don't know about you but if someone told me I had to go home I would take it as a big slap in the face and embarrassing as heck so she definitely is out for blood and not only that it's the old sour grapes she wasn't CHOSEN!!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent question -- one I hope we'll get an answer to if/when Eva demands full disclosure from Gideon about everything that went down in recent weeks. She's now colluding to cover up the killing, so she is on a need-to-know basis. Plus, Gideon owes her a lot of answers after weeks of having kept her in the dark.

The cops didn't figure out who Cary's assailant was until after Nathan was killed -- they found evidence in Nathan's hotel room linking him to the assault.

Thanks LN, hopefully like you said it will be discussed more in the book and we shall get a more insightful interpretation of what went on.

Gideon really needs to open up now as like you say Eva is involved now more than anything with the cover up so she needs to know and I think it will make them a bit stronger as well as he will know he can trust her :)

Excellent question -- one I hope we'll get an answer to if/when Eva demands full disclosure from Gideon about everything that went down in recent weeks. She's now colluding to cover up the killing, so she is on a need-to-know basis. Plus, Gideon owes her a lot of answers after weeks of having kept her in the dark.

The cops didn't figure out who Cary's assailant was until after Nathan was killed -- they found evidence in Nathan's hotel room linking him to the assault.

Do you think Stanton was having Nathan tailed? After all Monica would go into meltdown knowing he was in the same city as Eva.

How do we know Monica told this to Gideon I thought when Gideon answered his phone that morning at the hospital his security team told him?

From Sylvia recently.

Prior to then, between that Monday phone call he took as he left the hospital coupled with a security team meeting at his apartment Tuesday (a meeting Sylvia revealed a while ago) the most common theory about how Gideon found out was through his own people.

Hi LN Cronan

Re: the brunettes

This is my favourite question too. Two weeks to go till we find out if our theories are correct. :)

I will let you have this one, for all your hard work. Your daily postings keep us going. :)

So my question would be, what did Monica and Gideon talk about at the hospital Monday morning? :)

Good question Julie :)

And btw I'm sure she was a consenting adult if she didn't want to use the toys etc she should have said so . I honestly think he had to use the toys and such to achieve a level of arousal because even though he chose brunettes I don't think he was actually SEXUALLY attracted to them. Remember he told Eva after the limo sex I just want to keep feeling the way I feel when I'm with you. I just don't think he ever had that level of a sexual experience; does that make sense to anyone?

And btw I'm sure she was a consenting adult if she didn't want to use the toys etc she should have said so . I honestly think he had to use the toys and such to achieve a level of arousal because even though he chose brunettes I don't think he was actually SEXUALLY attracted to them. Remember he told Eva after the limo sex I just want to keep feeling the way I feel when I'm with you. I just don't think he ever had that level of a sexual experience; does that make sense to anyone?

That makes perfect sense! I agree 100%.

Do you think Stanton was having Nathan tailed? After all Monica would go into meltdown knowing he was in the same city as Eva.

I think Gideon, Stanton and Monica all began cooperating with one another on how to protect Eva and deal with Nathan.

Did that cooperation extend to Gideon's decision to kill Nathan? We'll find out one way or another, I think, in Entwined, but my guess is Gideon made that decision unilaterally and did everything without Stanton and Monica's knowledge. They've figured out he was responsible, but now they've distanced themselves from him to cover their own butts, lest they get charged with conspiracy. Gideon is on his own now, I think, is Stanton's position, and I think Stanton and Monica are relieved Gideon "dumped" Eva.

Absolutely Stanton and Gideon both probably had people tailing him ;no doubt a fact that can be used against Gideon and Stanton

I think Gideon, Stanton and Monica all began cooperating with one another on how to protect Eva and deal with Nathan.

Did that cooperation extend to Gideon's decision to kill Nathan? We'll find out one way or another, I think, in Entwined, but my guess is Gideon made that decision unilaterally and did everything without Stanton and Monica's knowledge. They've figured out he was responsible, but now they've distanced themselves from him to cover their own butts, lest they get charged with conspiracy. Gideon is on his own now, I think, is Stanton's position, and I think Stanton and Monica are relieved Gideon "dumped" Eva.

I hope they don't throw Gideon to the wolves, just to save their sorry a*ses. Eva would be devastated if she found out what her mother had done.

Enter Victor! He's my champion! He will save Gideon I'm sure of it. :)

it is a probability Julie, I think Gideon would have been having Nathan followed as well :)

I found this chapter so hard. I cried for Gideon after he attacked Eva again. His whole demeanour when he left her apartment was of a broken man. So sad.

I don't have a favourite passage, but one that does stand out is this

"I never gave you the key to my place, you just took it" I cupped his hand between both of mine, placing my gift in his palm. " I'm giving it to you now."

Stepping back, I released him, watching as he looked down at the gleaming monogrammed fob with my apartment key on it. It was the best way I could think of to show him that it belonged to him and that it was given freely.

His hand fisted, losing tightly around my gift. After a long minute, he looked up at me and I saw the tears that wet his face."no" I whispered , my heart breaking further. I cupped his face in my hands, my thumbs brushing over his cheekbones, "please don't".

Gideon caught me up, his lips pressing to mine. "I don't know how to walk away."

So sad. :(

I hope they don't throw Gideon to the wolves, just to save their sorry a*ses. Eva would be devastated if she found out what her mother had done.

Enter Victor! He's my champion! He will save Gideon I'm sure of it. :)

I agree, although I hope they are not too happy that Eva and Gideon had broken up afterall Gideon had killed someone to save Eva, they should be happy about that

I found this chapter so hard. I cried for Gideon after he attacked Eva again. His whole demeanour when he left her apartment was of a broken man. So sad.

"I never gave you the key to my place, you just took it" I cupped his hand between both of mine, placing my gift in his palm. " I'm giving it to you now."

Stepping back, I released him, watching as he looked down at the gleaming monogrammed fob with my apartment key on it. It was the best way I could think of to show him that it belonged to him and that it was given freely.

His hand fisted, losing tightly around my gift. After a long minute, he looked up at me and I saw the tears that wet his face."no" I whispered , my heart breaking further. I cupped his face in my hands, my thumbs brushing over his cheekbones, "please don't".

Gideon caught me up, his lips pressing to mine. "I don't know how to walk away."

Oh I know Julie, for me this was one of the saddest parts of the book, I well up every time I read it or hear it on the Audio :(

Yes this is some moment...

I loved some of the things Gideon said to Eva in her bathtub as both of them soaked themselves together following very hard workouts at their respective gyms. Poor Gideon has been under so much secret pressure over Nathan, and the whole Corrine mess that had gone down the prior week has only just begun to settle down. Now Eva had tried to pry open his past, and he begged her to just give it a rest for now.

From page 112:

"I just want to be with you, all right? order something in for dinner, watch TV, hold you when I sleep. Can we do that? .... I just want some time with you ... I need it, Eva. You and me with no drama. Give me that. Please. Then give me a kiss. .... Kiss me, d*** it ... kiss me like you love me."

I loved some of the things Gideon said to Eva in her bathtub as both of them soaked themselves together following very hard workouts at their respective gyms. Poor Gideon has been under so much secret pressure over Nathan, and the whole Corrine mess that had gone down the prior week has only just begun to settle down. Now Eva had tried to pry open his past, and he begged her to just give it a rest for now.

From page 112:

"I just want to be with you, all right? order something in for dinner, watch TV, hold you when I sleep. Can we do that? .... I just want some time with you ... I need it, Eva. You and me with no drama. Give me that. Please. Then give me a kiss. .... Kiss me, d*** it ... kiss me like you love me."

She kisses him but then he takes control of the kiss and kisses her senseless. Love this part too LN

I agree, although I hope they are not too happy that Eva and Gideon had broken up afterall Gideon had killed someone to save Eva, they should be happy about that

I'm sure that as Entwined opens, Monica especially is unhappy about the break-up -- but from a legal liability point of view for every last one of them, Eva included, the safest thing to do would be for Gideon to leave all their lives. Indeed, this is the very reason why he had cut off all contact with Eva herself in the days that followed the police questioning him.

Monica and Stanton would know that if the police charged him with murder, she and Stanton could face the real danger of being dragged into the murder case too on conspiracy allegations. Even Eva herself wouldn't be immune -- it's obvious she didn't know anything before the fact, but what about knowledge of the crime after the fact? A danger would exist the cops might attempt to go after her as well -- despite the fact she's innocent.

Once Monica and Stanton figure out though that Gideon is going to do everything he can to protect Eva now -- which includes by extension protecting Monica and Stanton -- then they'll be happy. Because at the end of the day, Gideon did stop that sicko forever.

From page 112:

Love this too. So sad. :(

From page 112:

I don't have a favorite passage, but one that does stand out is this

His hand fisted, closing tightly around my gift. After a long minute, he looked up at me and I saw the tears that wet his face."no" I whispered , my heart breaking further. I cupped his face in my hands, my thumbs brushing over his cheekbones, "please don't".

Love both of these.  This was so sad for me to read and I too cry every time I read it.  Gideon and Eva can't stop the drama at this point. 

My question would be:

Was Gideon lying when..

Gideon told Dr. Peterson that he had sex on the  average of twice a week before Eva--

but Gideon also told Eva that he's had sex more with her than all of the women combined..

I was thinking about this last night. If he was lying, who was he lying to?

There are so many possibilities and I can't wait to see which ones were right. 

I was thinking about this last night. If he was lying, who was he lying to?

There are so many possibilities and I can't wait to see which ones were right. 

I wonder if Gideon was lying.  I'm wondering if he was talking about when he was with Corinne, his only other exclusive partner. 

I get the impression that Gideon felt the women who "serviced" him after Corinne weren't regular events.  He was too busy with his business life to make the time.  I suspect he ran into these women at his clubs.  He kept them completely separate from his social life because he didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea of him wanting something permanent.  I'm thinking about the snippet where he said something like "I didn't know you were out there or I would have waited".    I'm not even sure he considers these one night stands when he answered Dr. Petersen. 

I also think about the snippet where Gideon comes into the Club for Eva.  She said no one would recognize him as the billionaire he is but she knew.  Maybe these one-night-stands had to much to drink, the went to the f** pad and then he had Angus take them home.  I think the reason Magdalene made her comment to Eva about once he puts his d*** ..... she was thinking about Anne Lucas.  All his associates most likely know he had her then sent her home.  Maybe she was another 2x a week liaison.  

I don't know where I'm going with this but I don't want Gideon to be as bad as he appears at this point.  I think he is an emotionally immature man with a good heart.