One Chapter A Day - Re-Read Of Bared and Entwined

LN Cronan

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that made me think.

It's not very often you would get two characters in a story with the same name.

Yes I know we have Chris Vidal jnr & snr. They don't count.

But two Daniels?

How often does that happen?

Interesting point -

Daniel the trainer at Gideon's gym, who had been trying to give excellent customer service before the boss stepped in.

Daniel the guy in Las Vegas, who had started a friendly conversation with Eva before the security guard (probably a bodyguard) stepped in.

Coincidental use of a common first name?

Or something deeper?

AGHHHHH!!!! We often read something into everything, because some of the most important characters start off as just being mentioned in passing, sometimes by name, sometimes not even by name at first -- only to emerge chapters later as crucial characters

First time, there was "the driver" -- who became Angus.

Second time, there was the "stepson" -- who became Nathan.

Third time, "lead singer" -- that was Brett.

Interesting point -

Daniel the trainer at Gideon's gym, who had been trying to give excellent customer service before the boss stepped in.

Daniel the guy in Las Vegas, who had started a friendly conversation with Eva before the security guard (probably a bodyguard) stepped in.

Coincidental use of a common first name?

Or something deeper?

AGHHHHH!!!! We often read something into everything, because some of the most important characters start off as just being mentioned in passing, sometimes by name, sometimes not even by name at first -- only to emerge chapters later as crucial characters

First time, there was "the driver" -- who became Angus.

Second time, there was the "stepson" -- who became Nathan.

Third time, "lead singer" -- that was Brett.

It's probably nothing, but it just struck me as a bit strange, and he had foreign tattoos? Gideon plant, to test Eva's faithfulness? This was the first time they have spent time apart properly, not including breakups. He was as insecure about leaving her, as she was about him having the pick of any women. Sheila just got in the way.

It's probably nothing, but it just struck me as a bit strange, and he had foreign tattoos? Gideon plant, to test Eva's faithfulness? This was the first time they have spent time apart properly, not including breakups. He was as insecure about leaving her, as she was about him having the pick of any women. Sheila just got in the way.

That's an interesting thought, and it could be possible. 

Everytime I think I've figured something out, new possibilities pop up.

I don't think he was a plant he was there working.  I suspect a convention (I've attended several in LV).  I think Gideon's plan was to protect Eva in case Nathan showed up but also keep an eye on her.  It occurred to me that the name Daniel was used to describe both men who openly flirted with Eva kind of what they have in common. 

Daniel is a Hebrew name meaning "God is my judge".  Right now Gideon is watching over Eva in a godlike manner and judging who he will allow her to associate with.

I don't think he was a plant he was there working.  I suspect a convention (I've attended several in LV).  I think Gideon's plan was to protect Eva in case Nathan showed up but also keep an eye on her.  It occurred to me that the name Daniel was used to describe both men who openly flirted with Eva kind of what they have in common. 

Daniel is a Hebrew name meaning "God is my judge".  Right now Gideon is watching over Eva in a godlike manner and judging who he will allow her to associate with.

Going to Las Vegas was to get Eva away from New York in case Nathan turned up, while Gideon was on business.

But I like your spin on the name Daniel, from Gideons angle. :)

I think you're right, Sharon - the Daniel guy who struck up a conversation with Eva in Las Vegas was just some random guy. But Sheila the Security Guard was extra aggressive, I think, because she was an actual bodyguard. Gideon had already had his first meeting/showdown with Nathan and would have been paranoid about Eva's safety.

In New York, Gideon has made sure that whenever possible, he himself is with Eva. Since Nathan showed up, Gideon has now been insisting Eva allow Angus to drive her -- so Gideon has shifted his own bodyguard to Eva without her knowledge. The Brooklyn trips to Krav Maga are covered by Monica's driver/bodyguard.

BUT ..... here's what's got me wondering

Gideon faced Nathan lunchtime on Thursday. But did Gideon already know before then that Nathan was in New York? Perhaps Gideon himself had hunted down Nathan first? Found out from Stanton where Nathan's last known whereabouts had been?

Because the Las Vegas trip was decided on Thursday morning, hours before that lunchtime incident in Gideon's office. Originally, Gideon had been insisting Eva go to Arizona with him, and he even explained that because of she's been in the public eye, he didn't feel safe with her being left in New York without him. When Eva insisted she needed to spend time with the in-crisis Cary, that's when she and Gideon compromised - Vegas trip, one of his hotels, and a condition that she take security with her if she leaves.

I can understand him being worried about her in New York City. But Las Vegas? The chances of her being recognized somewhere out in public pretty slim. 

So how long ago did Gideon shift from simple possessiveness to real paranoia? When he first found out about Nathan in general? Or was it when he found out some very specific present-day stuff about the guy via private investigation? Most importantly - who made direct contact first? Nathan? Or Gideon?

I think you're right, Sharon - the Daniel guy who struck up a conversation with Eva in Las Vegas was just some random guy. But Sheila the Security Guard was extra aggressive, I think, because she was an actual bodyguard. Gideon had already had his first meeting/showdown with Nathan and would have been paranoid about Eva's safety.

In New York, Gideon has made sure that whenever possible, he himself is with Eva. Since Nathan showed up, Gideon has now been insisting Eva allow Angus to drive her -- so Gideon has shifted his own bodyguard to Eva without her knowledge. The Brooklyn trips to Krav Maga are covered by Monica's driver/bodyguard.

Gideon faced Nathan lunchtime on Thursday. But did Gideon already know before then that Nathan was in New York? Perhaps Gideon himself had hunted down Nathan first? Found out from Stanton where Nathan's last known whereabouts had been?

Because the Las Vegas trip was decided on Thursday morning, hours before that lunchtime incident in Gideon's office. Originally, Gideon had been insisting Eva go to Arizona with him, and he even explained that because of she's been in the public eye, he didn't feel safe with her being left in New York without him. When Eva insisted she needed to spend time with the in-crisis Cary, that's when she and Gideon compromised - Vegas trip, one of his hotels, and a condition that she take security with her if she leaves.

I can understand him being worried about her in New York City. But Las Vegas? The chances of her being recognized somewhere out in public pretty slim. 

So how long ago did Gideon shift from simple possessiveness to real paranoia? When he first found out about Nathan in general? Or was it when he found out some very specific present-day stuff about the guy via private investigation? Most importantly - who made direct contact first? Nathan? Or Gideon?

Per Graves, Nathan is a stalker and has been for awhile.  I'm sure Gideon picked up on that from the pictures and videos.  I think Nathan showed Gideon not only the pictures of abuse but also the others that let Gideon know that he (Nathan) knows what Eva is up to daily.  Stalkers find a way to track down their target even when they leave town.  I believe Gideon was playing it safe and preferred Eva thinking he was overly possessive instead of giving her a heads up about Nathan.  Bad decision on his part but it came from the right place.

One more thought LN, I'm not sure Gideon knew Nathan was in town before he dropped by Crossfire but Gideon was doing his own investigation.  Why else did he stop by and talk to Stanton?  Gideon probably knew that Nathan would follow the publicity and track down Eva. 

i think it was probably when Nathan turned up in New York. But I reckon Gideon had tabs on him, wherever he was living prior to New York if Stanton told him. I bet he was under surveillance 24/7.

Well we know that Nathan had been stalking Eva , going through her rubbish. He had a diary of her movements as well as Cary.

I definitely think Gideon launched his private investigation into Nathan the morning after Eva revealed to Gideon what happened to her as a girl. Gideon's first stop was Stanton's office.

I still wonder, though -- and I hope to find out in less than two weeks from now (SQUEEE) -- which one of them made first direct contact. Had Gideon still been in the process of trying to hunt down Nathan when Nathan himself preemptively went to Gideon? Or, had Nathan already known Gideon was hunting him down? 

Eva deserves a soup-to-nuts explanation of the whole mess, from first contact through to the current status of Gideon's defense strategy on the police investigation. She needs to know whether the pictures Nathan had have all now been destroyed. She needs to know what sort of connected involvement went on among Gideon, Monica and Stanton.

Gideon's got a lot of explaining to do about everything he tried to hide from her. Because the story is told from Eva's point of view, any explanations she gets, we get.

I definitely think Gideon launched his private investigation into Nathan the morning after Eva revealed to Gideon what happened to her as a girl. Gideon's first stop was Stanton's office.

I still wonder, though -- and I hope to find out in less than two weeks from now (SQUEEE) -- which one of them made first direct contact. Had Gideon still been in the process of trying to hunt down Nathan when Nathan himself preemptively went to Gideon? Or, had Nathan already known Gideon was hunting him down?

Eva deserves a soup-to-nuts explanation of the whole mess, from first contact through to the current status of Gideon's defense strategy on the police investigation. She needs to know whether the pictures Nathan had have all now been destroyed. She needs to know what sort of connected involvement went on among Gideon, Monica and Stanton.

Gideon's got a lot of explaining to do about everything he tried to hide from her. Because the story is told from Eva's point of view, any explanations she gets, we get.

Soup-to-nuts? American humour?

I bet it was a close call. I reckon as soon as those photos hit the Internet, Nathan came out from under his rock, going to New York. Still curious how he ended up in a hotel owned by Gideon? Yes I know he owns half of New York. Coincidence?

If Gideon kept the photos and videos that Nathan showed him, I would think Gideon would destroy them, not wanting anyone, especially Eva to ever see them. It would trigger Eva, big time. She hated the thought of Gideon seeing them. Knowing that the police have them, god knows what she thinks, poor girl.

i think it was probably when Nathan turned up in New York. But I reckon Gideon had tabs on him, wherever he was living prior to New York if Stanton told him. I bet he was under surveillance 24/7.

Well we know that Nathan had been stalking Eva , going through her rubbish. He had a diary of her movements as well as Cary.

He definitely started tracking Nathan's whereabouts once he saw Stanton.    All the stuff Gideon found out - this is from Chapter one â€œI won’t apologize. I’d do it again.†His grip tightened on me. “The options were restraining orders, increased security, vigilance… for the rest of your life. There was no guarantee you’d be safe unless Nathan was dead.â€

Soup-to-nuts? American humour?

I bet it was a close call. I reckon as soon as those photos hit the Internet, Nathan came out from under his rock, going to New York. Still curious how he ended up in a hotel owned by Gideon? Yes I know he owns half of New York. Coincidence?

If Gideon kept the photos and videos that Nathan showed him, I would think Gideon would destroy them, not wanting anyone, especially Eva to ever see them. It would trigger Eva, big time. She hated the thought of Gideon seeing them. Knowing that the police have them, god knows what she thinks, poor girl.

Oh I think it was deliberate that Nathan ended up in a hotel owned by Gideon. Gideon, possibly working with Stanton, manipulated that to make it easier to keep an eye on Nathan.

I wonder how far in advance of his death was Nathan put up in that hotel. The security camera system supposedly had been offline for some time, for an upgrade, if what Detective Graves told Eva was true. This would make it easier for Gideon and his people to get at Nathan without leaving any sort of video record of coming and going.

We know the cops have seized some videotape from Stanton's office, per what Monica told Eva. It's also a safe bet the cops have been seizing some Crossfire tape as well, given how Gideon was careful to meet with Eva in the security office itself (out of camera view) and because he went through the trouble of parading Corrine through the Crossfire lobby two nights before the detective upped the ante by spilling the beans to Eva.

Graves said the hotel was owned by a subsidiary of Cross Industries, and I think Graves told the truth about that. If the hotel was owned by a subsidiary, it may not have even had the Cross name on it, so Nathan may have not known he was in one of Gideon's properties.

Did Stanton offer to put Nathan up as part of his (Stanton's) stringing Nathan along? The disinherited Nathan couldn't have afforded  a Manhattan hotel on his own.

I don't think that Gideon put Nathan in a hotel that he owned.  I think that was just luck of the draw.  Nathan was trying to get somewhere to keep his eye on Eva; it sounds like Gideon owns a lot of real estate in that area.  If Gideon put Nathan in a place he owned from the get go it would appear that Gideon started planning a murder as soon as Eva told him about Nathan.  I don't think that is true.  I think once Gideon found out that Nathan beat Cary Gideon decided to use his ownership of the hotel to his advantage.  Also, Graves said the repair/upgrade was scheduled for the video system for three months that would be before Gideon ever heard about Nathan.

From Wikipedia, for Julie, who learned another bit of American trivia: ;)

"Soup to nuts" is an American English idiom conveying the meaning of "from beginning to end". It is derived from the description of a full course dinner, in which courses progress from soup to a dessert of nuts

Laughing very loudly here. :)

Thank you for another bit of info to put into my already over crowed brain of trivia! I'm very good at quiz nights. Even better now I've got American trivia stored there. Lol :)

Laughing very loudly here. :)

Thank you for another bit of info to put into my already over crowed brain of trivia! I'm very good at quiz nights. Even better now I've got American trivia stored there. Lol :)

Where in England do you live Julie. I have friends in Cornwall and Brighton.

He definitely started tracking Nathan's whereabouts once he saw Stanton.    All the stuff Gideon found out - this is from Chapter one â€œI won’t apologize. I’d do it again.†His grip tightened on me. “The options were restraining orders, increased security, vigilance… for the rest of your life. There was no guarantee you’d be safe unless Nathan was dead.â€

I wonder if Gideon and Stanton were working together. I'm curious to see if they established anything together. This might have already been addressed, and I might have missed it. 

Oh I think it was deliberate that Nathan ended up in a hotel owned by Gideon. Gideon, possibly working with Stanton, manipulated that to make it easier to keep an eye on Nathan.

I wonder how far in advance of his death was Nathan put up in that hotel. The security camera system supposedly had been offline for some time, for an upgrade, if what Detective Graves told Eva was true. This would make it easier for Gideon and his people to get at Nathan without leaving any sort of video record of coming and going.

We know the cops have seized some videotape from Stanton's office, per what Monica told Eva. It's also a safe bet the cops have been seizing some Crossfire tape as well, given how Gideon was careful to meet with Eva in the security office itself (out of camera view) and because he went through the trouble of parading Corrine through the Crossfire lobby two nights before the detective upped the ante by spilling the beans to Eva.

Graves said the hotel was owned by a subsidiary of Cross Industries, and I think Graves told the truth about that. If the hotel was owned by a subsidiary, it may not have even had the Cross name on it, so Nathan may have not known he was in one of Gideon's properties.

Did Stanton offer to put Nathan up as part of his (Stanton's) stringing Nathan along? The disinherited Nathan couldn't have afforded  a Manhattan hotel on his own.

Nathan must have been desperate if he accepted a room from Stanton. Didn't he smell a rat?

Even Dr Lucas doesn't know that Gideon owns his building. If he knew he was paying rent to Gideon I don't think we would have seen his bum for dust! English humour! :)

Nathan must have been desperate if he accepted a room from Stanton. Didn't he smell a rat?

Even Dr Lucas doesn't know that Gideon owns his building. If he knew he was paying rent to Gideon I don't think we would have seen his bum for dust! English humour! :)

LOL. I never even thought of that Julie.