SPOILERS: Entwined with You Overall Discussion

Page 140, Gideon on his cell phone talking to a crying Corrine, trying to yet again explain they're friends but he can't give her what she wants ... Eva walks in on the conversation, in tears because she'd just finished talking on the phone to her father about Nathan ... just before Gideon noticed Eva standing there and immediately ending the Corrine call ...

"Stop," he said icily. "This isn't the tack you want to take with me, Corrine."

The word "icy" I immediately associated with Elizabeth Vidal, how icy Gideon was with his mother (and when talking about her too). I wondered to myself then whether Corrine had started playing the family card, and that's when Gideon chilled.

That was my first red flag that Corrine had reconnected with the Vidals -- and that both she and Elizabeth got into some weird codependent dynamic of trying to join forces so that both of them could get Gideon back in their own way -- Elizabeth get back the son she lost and Corrine get back the lost love of her life.

Excellent observation LN,  you are so good at reading between the lines. I loved this particular part of the book because we see (and so does Eva) without a doubt how Eva comes first. He drops everything to take care of her....I love it!  :)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gideon honestly asked his mother for the ring saying he was getting engaged. But here is where Gideon probably lied by omission because he would let Elizabeth assume he was talking about Corinne. He obviously never told Elizabeth he was asking Eva because she was surprised to Eva wearing the ring.

Very good point. Which makes me wonder exactly when did he ask for the ring?

Even while he'd been keeping himself away from Eva, he'd been making plans for the day they would be getting back together. I wonder whether it was when he resumed going out with Corrine that he asked his mother for the ring -- determined in his own mind that as soon as he could do it, he was going to fall down on his knees to Eva begging for forgiveness, ready then and there to ask her to marry him as proof of his devotion.

Because Eva wasn't ever supposed to know the real truth about how Nathan died. Gideon's original plans must have had to involve winning back Eva by proving to her he loved her and her alone -- hench proving to Eva that she, not Corrine, is the one he wants to marry.

Now if I'm right on this timing .... it was while Gideon and Eva were apart that he obtained the engagement ring (and probably that photo of him and his father on the beach, the photo he promised in North Carolina he'd get from his mother, who had it) .... well ... how much you want to bet Lizzie told Corrine that Gideon asked for the engagement ring.

I suppose it's even possible that Gideon counted on his mother telling Corrine about the ring .... part of his deliberately sending Corrine mixed messages. If that's true, that's pretty d a m n cold. Yes, Gideon was desperate -- desperate to protect Eva from the police -- but it still doesn't excuse him brutally using Corrine.

Excellent observation LN,  you are so good at reading between the lines. I loved this particular part of the book because we see (and so does Eva) without a doubt how Eva comes first. He drops everything to take care of her....I love it!   :)

It was sweet how he literally dropped the phone. The fact Eva was crying and her face showed something terrible had just happened mattered far more than Corrine crying. Eva was everything to him -- Corrine was trying to manipulate him.

Boy did THAT make up for the Disaster at the Dinner Table (the night Eva and Corrine met.)

P.S. Shan, I love, love, love your "Gideon Cross rides this elevator" avatar!! It's a hoot!!!

LN as much as I know that Gideon used Corinne to help with his alibi I just can't believe that he would use Elizabeth to send a message to Corinne that he was going to ask her to marry him.  I don't get the impression that he is that heartless.  It hurts him that he is using Corinne at all and making her think, even a little, that a ring is coming is a heartless thing to do.

Very good point. Which makes me wonder exactly when did he ask for the ring?

Even while he'd been keeping himself away from Eva, he'd been making plans for the day they would be getting back together. I wonder whether it was when he resumed going out with Corrine that he asked his mother for the ring -- determined in his own mind that as soon as he could do it, he was going to fall down on his knees to Eva begging for forgiveness, ready then and there to ask her to marry him as proof of his devotion.

Because Eva wasn't ever supposed to know the real truth about how Nathan died. Gideon's original plans must have had to involve winning back Eva by proving to her he loved her and her alone -- hench proving to Eva that she, not Corrine, is the one he wants to marry.

Now if I'm right on this timing .... it was while Gideon and Eva were apart that he obtained the engagement ring (and probably that photo of him and his father on the beach, the photo he promised in North Carolina he'd get from his mother, who had it) .... well ... how much you want to bet Lizzie told Corrine that Gideon asked for the engagement ring.

I suppose it's even possible that Gideon counted on his mother telling Corrine about the ring .... part of his deliberately sending Corrine mixed messages. If that's true, that's pretty d a m n cold. Yes, Gideon was desperate -- desperate to protect Eva from the police -- but it still doesn't excuse him brutally using Corrine.

While this is certainly all plausible I can't accept that Gideon would be that malicious, as to hope Elizabeth would tell Corrine.

LN as much as I know that Gideon used Corinne to help with his alibi I just can't believe that he would use Elizabeth to send a message to Corinne that he was going to ask her to marry him.  I don't get the impression that he is that heartless.  It hurts him that he is using Corinne at all and making her think, even a little, that a ring is coming is a heartless thing to do.

I too hate to think he'd be that ruthless .... but look at how ruthless he was to Eva herself. How he treated THAT week still makes my blood boil, especially right to her face in that business meeting. And I think about how desperate he was.

Even while he was ruthless to Eva, inside he hated every second of it -- hated himself for hurting her. I think inside he similarly hated himself for hurting Corrine. But I still think he was capable of doing it -- of doing anything THAT week, in order to take care of Nathan forever and make absolutely certain that if he went down in legal flames, Eva wouldn't go down with him.

BUT ....

OK, I'll give Our Hero the benefit of the doubt here. Maybe he wasn't counting on Lizzie gossiping to Corrine. But I'll bet he wasn't counting on the Lizzie-Corrine Codependent Sisterhood either. 

Corrine put herself in that position, if Gideon told her he had someone special, why come to NY and risk him not attending to you the way you want.?

I feel bad for her hubby tho he's stuck in the middle of his wife's mischief behavior..!! And the sad part is He Loves Her..!!

Mrs. Crossfire I totally agree. I agree Corrine knew he was serious about Eva, she admitted that to Ava the night she met her. But Corrine chose to come all the way back to NY just to come between them and try to get him back.  Corrine is a manipulating woman, and completely self centered. She apparently doesn't care about anyone else's feelings other than her own. First, she knows Gideon is serous about Eva and that Eva is in love with Gideon. But it doesn't matter how they feel about each other or that they make each happy. Corrine only thinks about getting what she wants. And if she couldn't get Gideon to take their relationship to the next level years earlier what makes her think she can take him away from Eva? He told Corrine Eva is getting me to open up, he hadn't ever opened up with her, that is HUGE! Also Gideon feels bad because he says he lead her on with his actions. The person we should feel bad for is JFG, I think the only reason she married him was because she was hoping Gideon would come after her. That shows how manipulative and self centered she is. Do we know, Did Corrine break off her engagement with Gideon to be with JFG? 

I agree that even if Gideon were not in the picture, Eva still would not be with Brett. She knows herself that a relationship between them would be a bad idea for a number of reasons, mainly...

1. Her jealousy and insecurity could not handle dating someone with that kind of lifestyle.

2. A fear of regressing to her old ways. Eva does not like the person she was when she was with Brett 4 years ago. She has no desire to ever be that person again.

One thing I think people keep forgetting though is that Gideon & Eva were not married when she agreed to meet up with Brett in SD. The only contact she has had with Brett since marrying Gideon is sending him a smiley face text message - which was a way for her to keep her promise to him (that she would make contact and not always wait for him to initiate) without actually calling him up or having any real contact.

I definitely think she will meet Brett alone in SD. They need to talk about the sex tape face-to-face so that they can both gauge each others honest reactions about the situation. I also think they need to meet one more time now that Eva can finally be totally honest with Brett and make it quite clear just how serious she and Gideon are.

I get why people are mad at Eva for her interaction with Brett in this book, and to be honest the thoughts of how sexy he was ###### me off too. But, we need to remember:

The first time Brett & Eva had a proper conversation (when she took him to lunch)- she was unsure of Gideon, he had taken Corinne to dinner the night before, he wouldnt talk to her - but she still Brett she was in love with Gideon.

The next time the talk on the phone - she says she'll only go to the Golden event id he is ok with them being friends. She even goes so far as to say she doesn't want to lead him on (ie nothing will happen between them, she's not interested)

The Golden event - this is the first time Gideon & Eva are seen back in public together. In fact publicly its supposed to be the night they reconcile. Therefore Eva tells Brett that she loves Gideon and is giving him another chance, but there is only so much she can say, she has to be cautious of anyone finding out they've been together for a while

Does anyone get where I'm coming from?

I absolutely agree with what you are saying.

What is she going to say about the separation.? Since she can't go into details why he pulled away from her.!?

I thought about that too. Gideon knew how crazy obsessed Nathan was with Ava after Nathan showed up at his office. Then when he realized it was Nathan that beat the He11 out of Cary and said some thing along the line as Keep your hands off of her. Cary assumed it was because he was messing around with someone else's woman. But Gideon figured out it was Nathan and knew how crazy Nathan was. So Gideon didn't want to aggravate Nathan and cause him to escalate his aggression towards Ava, he felt he would distance himself from her to protect her from Nathan until Nathan was arrested. He can say something like that. 

I was wondering how Gideon had texted Angus when both he and JFG were flexed cuff and taken off by security (unless they were cuffed with hands in front)  He should have texted Eva also. 

If Anne Lucas is the redhead flirting with Cary at the last dinner, she has a serious problem or a really bad marriage with Terry Lucas.  She puts the moves on Gideon years earlier and then tries again with Cary....  Don't see how she is connected with Corrine, but she could be...

I did like the quote from Eva in the 4 or 5 chapter when they had their first "date" in the apartment....when Gideon sayed he had a full time job keeping her satisifed, and she said she is not a sex maniac....she says "don't shower, get a stomach or just say NO..."

I was wondering how Gideon had texted Angus when both he and JFG were flexed cuff and taken off by security (unless they were cuffed with hands in front)  He should have texted Eva also. 

If Anne Lucas is the redhead flirting with Cary at the last dinner, she has a serious problem or a really bad marriage with Terry Lucas.  She puts the moves on Gideon years earlier and then tries again with Cary....  Don't see how she is connected with Corrine, but she could be...

I did like the quote from Eva in the 4 or 5 chapter when they had their first "date" in the apartment....when Gideon sayed he had a full time job keeping her satisifed, and she said she is not a sex maniac....she says "don't shower, get a stomach or just say NO..."

What is up with Dr. Terry and Anne not attending social functions together? Surely if he were there Eva would have noticed him.

It was sweet how he literally dropped the phone. The fact Eva was crying and her face showed something terrible had just happened mattered far more than Corrine crying. Eva was everything to him -- Corrine was trying to manipulate him.

Boy did THAT make up for the Disaster at the Dinner Table (the night Eva and Corrine met.)

P.S. Shan, I love, love, love your "Gideon Cross rides this elevator" avatar!! It's a hoot!!!

Thanks, Wouldn't we all LOVE to go for a ride in the elevator with Gideon..... 

Thanks again for the link Kristen. I know Sylvia says she is going to take the Crossfire series to 5 books. Personally I would love for her to just keep on writing, I don't want their story to end!  Trust me I'm SO happy she isn't stopping at 3 !!! I just wish we didn't have to wait soooo long between books but at least we have this amazing forum to help get us through.